Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Awkward Davies posted:

Those are all with the 75mm 4.5

The best lens for a p67

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Is 500 CAD a good deal for a P67 with mirror lock, 75mm 4.5 and a no-frills prism? It's from a local shop, so it would be under warranty as well. I messed around with it yesterday, condition is bargain by KEH standards.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

try it with a lime posted:

Is 500 CAD a good deal for a P67 with mirror lock, 75mm 4.5 and a no-frills prism? It's from a local shop, so it would be under warranty as well. I messed around with it yesterday, condition is bargain by KEH standards.

Seems a little expensive - I got mine for about half that.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Took some photos today.

Key Bridge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Bridge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 21, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Good to know, I'll keep looking around. In other news I decided to actually frame some of the prints I have, this one courtesy of Ansel Austisms:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Not the worst deal, especially with that warranty. I paid less for my 6x7 and now I have to pay more to get it fixed :(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

a foolish pianist posted:

Seems a little expensive - I got mine for about half that.

Yeah, I bought a Pentax 6x7 with a 105mm. Great condition for $350 on ebay.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My 67 was $450 inclding body, prism, 2 lenses and shipping from japan.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Good to know, I'll keep looking around. In other news I decided to actually frame some of the prints I have, this one courtesy of Ansel Austisms:

gently caress yeah

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

Sweet.

I wish I could find the video of a street photographer with a 7 walking against a flood of on coming people shooting bags and bags of film. :homebrew:

He currently has an exhibition here in Tokyo, it's about india. The prints are humongous. It's great. I like it even though normally this kind of "hard core" street is not my favourite. But he just does it so well and proficiently, he's also a really nice and chill guy.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

That is an awesome print and I want one, too!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VomitOnLino posted:

That is an awesome print and I want one, too!

I organized (semi-competently) the print exchange last year. Nobody has made any noise at all about another print exchange yet, and it sounds like you've got the necessary motivation (want a specific photo from a specific Dorkroom goon) to pull it together.

Let me know when you post the thread, TIA.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just dumped some old digital gear, so I probably need to waste it on more film stuff :homebrew:

I know there are a few Hasselblad shooters in this thread - is there any reason to get something beyond a 500c/m? Also, are those 45deg prisms worth it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

I just dumped some old digital gear, so I probably need to waste it on more film stuff :homebrew:

I know there are a few Hasselblad shooters in this thread - is there any reason to get something beyond a 500c/m? Also, are those 45deg prisms worth it?

500CM is good enough for most things, the 501CM is useful if you plan to always use lenses 150mm and above and you like to frame using the edges as there will be edge vignetting. Also applies if you're shooting macro.

The 45 and 90 degree prisms are useful for eye level shooting or if you're pointing heavily downwards.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Helicity posted:

Not really AFAIK, it'll be newer, but my early 80's C/M I picked up on eBay a few years ago has been rock solid without any kind of CLA or anything needed.

I've got a 90 degree unmetered prism, they are dirt cheap, but also pretty heavy. I eventually caved and bought a WLF (they just seem so expensive for what they are), did save a bit by buying one with a sorta janky opening mechanism and just putting up with it.

Damnit I had all but decided to get rid of my Hassie next month but you made me pick it up and realize how much I like it :argh:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

As I'm weighing out my options, does anyone have any input on the following (USD):

BGN 500CM body from KEH: $278
BGN A12 back from KEH: $139
80mm C lens: ??? (is the coupling annoying in use, is it worth getting a CF instead?)
--then
Waist level finder: $100
Accute-matte screen: $200
--or
PME 3/51: $300

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've managed to get some 127 film, I like to think of it as the smallest medium format, as it comes on rolls and looks the same, but smaller:

I'm going to be shooting it in a working Kodak Vest Pocket camera that I picked up at a secondhand store sporting a clean Rapid Rectilinear lens and functioning ball baring shutter. Not bad for 100+ years old. Once I shoot the 3 rolls of 127 I picked up, I'll just use the backing paper and reels to feed 35mm film into it and shoot some sprockets.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ehhh i have no idea if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking to buy a lightmeter. I love my current lightmeter but its really loving old and i'm not sure its even working properly anymore.

I shoot mostly MF & LF but I've never shopped for a meter before, any recs?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

Ehhh i have no idea if this is the right place to post this but I'm looking to buy a lightmeter. I love my current lightmeter but its really loving old and i'm not sure its even working properly anymore.

I shoot mostly MF & LF but I've never shopped for a meter before, any recs?

Gossen Digisix

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Spedman posted:

I've managed to get some 127 film, I like to think of it as the smallest medium format, as it comes on rolls and looks the same, but smaller:

I'm going to be shooting it in a working Kodak Vest Pocket camera that I picked up at a secondhand store sporting a clean Rapid Rectilinear lens and functioning ball baring shutter. Not bad for 100+ years old. Once I shoot the 3 rolls of 127 I picked up, I'll just use the backing paper and reels to feed 35mm film into it and shoot some sprockets.

I did that with my starflex and it's fun even though it's complete guesswork to try to get everything lined up properly.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Still amazed at how much detail I can get out of a 6x9 neg after shooting exclusively 35mm for a few years.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

voodoorootbeer posted:

I did that with my starflex and it's fun even though it's complete guesswork to try to get everything lined up properly.

I'm sure it'll end up being one of my cameras that I picked up a couple of times a year to shoot something different with, always a bit of fun and sometimes something interesting comes of it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

dem tones

Soojin by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

i still take pix sometimes

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

This is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing the results from this. Also, I should try to shoot some 35mm sprockets on my old (not as old as yours) folder.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

dem tones

Soojin by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

i still take pix sometimes

dem tones indeed!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Great stuff, but the cops aren't going to buy "I was adjusting my bellows" when they find you in some bushes behind a house.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi Central by alkanphel, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Helicity posted:

Great stuff, but the cops aren't going to buy "I was adjusting my bellows" when they find you in some bushes behind a house.

You'd be surprised. You can basically get away with murder using an unmistakably old-timey camera in public (TLR, folder, anything large format).

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You'd be surprised. You can basically get away with murder using an unmistakably old-timey camera in public (TLR, folder, anything large format).

Bonus points if you tell them you're an arts student and you're doing it for a project.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

alkanphel posted:

Bonus points if you tell them you're an arts student and you're doing it for a project.

Pretty much the only excuse I use and it works every time.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been yelled at at by a few people since switching to a GW690II from a Kowa Six. Typicaly people don't mind once they find out what you're up to, but I almost got decked by a very seedy business owner in the summer because I couldn't convince him I wasn't a private investigator.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Developed my first roll of film yay! When I opened the developing canister, I have to say...I was rather shocked that it worked. I was expecting the entire roll to turn out pure black or white or something. So that's awesome.

I've never used a fully manual camera before, so the first roll was a bit dicey. Composing with a TLR is trickier than I expected. The day was very overcast and I was just guessing exposure based on Sunny 16 charts. Hastily scanned on my consumer-grade flatbed scanner, undoubtedly slightly out of focus. And I used the wrong developing time (too short), so had to tweak these in Lightroom to gain back some contrast.

Still, the whole process was super fun. Excited to shoot more film!

tree.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

Little Boat by zacharytong, on Flickr

Anyone know what caused the dark stripe on the left of this image? It's noticeable in all the shots if you lower the exposure enough, always on the left and always the same width.

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 25, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

polyfractal posted:

Developed my first roll of film yay! When I opened the developing canister, I have to say...I was rather shocked that it worked. I was expecting the entire roll to turn out pure black or white or something. So that's awesome.

I've never used a fully manual camera before, so the first roll was a bit dicey. Composing with a TLR is trickier than I expected. The day was very overcast and I was just guessing exposure based on Sunny 16 charts. Hastily scanned on my consumer-grade flatbed scanner, undoubtedly slightly out of focus. And I used the wrong developing time (too short), so had to tweak these in Lightroom to gain back some contrast.

Still, the whole process was super fun. Excited to shoot more film!

tree.jpg by zacharytong, on Flickr

Little Boat by zacharytong, on Flickr

Anyone know what caused the dark stripe on the left of this image? It's noticeable in all the shots if you lower the exposure enough, always on the left and always the same width.

How much developer did you use? I had that issue once when my reels got stuck at the top of the tank (blasted 35mm canister) and there wasnt enough to cover that bit except while agitating.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

8th-snype posted:

How much developer did you use? I had that issue once when my reels got stuck at the top of the tank (blasted 35mm canister) and there wasnt enough to cover that bit except while agitating.

500ml on the nose, with a small Patterson "universal" tank. Should have been enough developer for the tank based on the instructions... but maybe I did something wrong during loading (film got stuck on one side or something?) I certainly struggled with it for a while.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

polyfractal posted:

500ml on the nose, with a small Patterson "universal" tank. Should have been enough developer for the tank based on the instructions... but maybe I did something wrong during loading (film got stuck on one side or something?) I certainly struggled with it for a while.

Try using 600ml next time. Might fix the issue.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it recommends 290 mL for one roll so it sounds like you were a little short for two. I always round up to 300 and 600. Google "massive dev chart ratio calculator" to get the proper measurements

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah it recommends 290 mL for one roll so it sounds like you were a little short for two. I always round up to 300 and 600. Google "massive dev chart ratio calculator" to get the proper measurements

Paterson Universal tanks use 300 ml (290) developer per roll of 35mm film, or 500 ml per roll of 120 film, Polyfractal's issue was with a 120 film. But yes if the reel is sliding up and down during development then it might settle above the top of the developer, and you get uneven results. Use rotation agitation instead of flipping the tank, then your reels won't slide up.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Will do, thanks everyone! Next roll I'll use 600ml and stick to rotation. I started with inversions but then got worried about the tank leaking (the rubber lid has a tendency to pop off), so I switched to rotations anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
So for Christmas my ex ad photographer dad gave me his old camera on a "permanent loan" basis.

His old, gigantic, awesome camera with three lenses (90, 150, 210) and ten backs.

I don't have any questions, though I'm sure I will - just excited to be joining the thread.

• Locked thread