Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

oredun posted:

I think you mean nightmares.

After using them a couple times, I can see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So I've been using scratch live on my desktop to do a mixtape piecemeal and then stitch the pieces together in live, but darting back and forwards between the decks and my keyboard was a chore so I bought a macbook that can sit by the decks. However there doesn't seem to be any way to export to .als :confused:

Do I have to install live on the macbook to get that option to show up?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Banano posted:

Do I have to install live on the macbook to get that option to show up?

I don't know off-hand but that sounds correct. Live is good about granting you two machines to use your license on and you can call to add more.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Seems you do indeed have to install live, and not the 64 bit version either, as that has no bridge support whatsoever.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Pioneer are putting out a CDj without a CD player

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/player/xdj-1000.html

Touch screen hot cues sounds like a gross idea.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like the idea but it needs more connectivity, like you should be able to plug in an external controller if you want more pads or knobs or something. Or 2 RJ45s so you cna daisy chain them. Or at least another USB port on the back if you just want a big HD of tunes, putting the place where the music comes from right next to the touchscreen seems risky. Plus if they did that they could finally do something many DJs have needed for ages: sealing the top plate so it can resist a spilled double vodka cran. [anyone want to make a "SPORTS" mixer in all yellow?]

I'm sure there will be an XDJ-2000 next year that costs twice as much and has 2 USB ports.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I kind of like the XDJ1000s... Yeah, the biggest turnoff for me as well is having touchscreen hotcues, but I was practicing a new mix last night with some deep four-deck transitions and just wishing for four steady platters with wide pitch faders. I texted my buddy who works for L&M, "i think i need two more CDJ2ks :S", and less than an hour later Pioneer's new product announcement shows up in my inbox. Rather serendipitous... I'm a sucker anyway so I'll probably end up buying a pair.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mister Speaker posted:

I kind of like the XDJ1000s... Yeah, the biggest turnoff for me as well is having touchscreen hotcues, but I was practicing a new mix last night with some deep four-deck transitions and just wishing for four steady platters with wide pitch faders. I texted my buddy who works for L&M, "i think i need two more CDJ2ks :S", and less than an hour later Pioneer's new product announcement shows up in my inbox. Rather serendipitous... I'm a sucker anyway so I'll probably end up buying a pair.

I'm sure the higher end XDJs will have physical hot cue buttons, gotta justify that price point somehow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah the hotcues being on the touchscreen is a horrible idea but like you say, Pioneer aren't in the game of doing things properly unless it's their top end kit...

I like the idea of them but the lack of functionality at that price point makes my decision to pick up a DDJ-SX last year seem like an even better one even if Serato makes me work harder importing tracks and beatgridding manually.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014

88h88 posted:

I like the idea of them but the lack of functionality at that price point makes my decision to pick up a DDJ-SX last year seem like an even better one

The DDJ-SX2 is out now and the pads support loop storage, which is what I was bitching about since day 1. I love how they couldn't release a software/firmware update and give everyone the ability to store loops on the pads. They just HAD to come out with a whole new product for that poo poo.

I'm kinda mad but it's easy enough to just keep the beat and repeatedly press the pad button over and over again to keep the loop going. Plus, it makes you look busy so you get points for "real DJ" credit.

Any of you DDJ owners ever toss the same track on both decks to do crazy live remixes with the hot cue pads? RL Grime and Salva did a killer trap remix of Mercy and it's one of my favorite songs to do this with. I really think the future of DJing is gonna be 16 pad buttons per CDJ. I have no idea why the "cue" button still exists, at this point.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Anyone else here going to NAMM in January?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

slogsdon posted:

Pioneer are putting out a CDj without a CD player

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/player/xdj-1000.html

Touch screen hot cues sounds like a gross idea.

NI just needs to come out with a Kontrol unit that has Traktor built in. No laptop no external controllers, just one unit, power supply, USB and RCA cable, they would dominate.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
When I walk my dog, I usually listen to podcasts or mixes. Last week, I heard a song that I thought was cool, but didn't bother to look at what it was. Since yesterday, the song's been in my head and I have no idea how to listen to it againnnnn. I don't know if it was on soundcloud, mixcloud, bbc radio... bonkers!

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I always wanted a machine that was like that Steven King typewriter but recorded the music in my head instead of writing it down.

Also, that song was Surrender by Portable.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Alfajor posted:

When I walk my dog, I usually listen to podcasts or mixes. Last week, I heard a song that I thought was cool, but didn't bother to look at what it was. Since yesterday, the song's been in my head and I have no idea how to listen to it againnnnn. I don't know if it was on soundcloud, mixcloud, bbc radio... bonkers!

You were listening to D4L's "Laffy Taffy". You're welcome.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Naaaaaah.
It was house (g-house?), with a loop of man's voice going "can't handle it?" and a female replying "I can handle it, already played the game, done with it" or something along those lines... it's still stuck in my head! I've already re-listened to everything I listened to in SoundCloud and Mixcloud last week Mon-Thurs, too :tizzy:

*edit: found it! :D https://soundcloud.com/shift-key/not-into-it

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 22, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody using small LCD displays on their setup? I was using a TV for Traktor but then I upgraded the man cave to a projector. I'm thinking something like 12" in size, 1080p or so would be perfect. Would also help a lot with portability too, as I'm not interested in a laptop.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
So you're taking your computer tower with you when you play gigs? I think I did that once, years ago, and the bar owners made fun of me.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
i would definitely make fun of a DJ taking his tower to gigs and probably take his lunch money too

same goes for an alienware laptop

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

revmoo posted:

Anybody using small LCD displays on their setup? I was using a TV for Traktor but then I upgraded the man cave to a projector. I'm thinking something like 12" in size, 1080p or so would be perfect. Would also help a lot with portability too, as I'm not interested in a laptop.

Hmmm, if only they made a computer that had a screen already built in that was approximately 13" in size at that resolution. That would be perfect

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Guess not then, ooookay.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Have Ableton and an APC40 MKII? Here is my template for download: http://www.drewreges.com/BLTDownload/BLTTemplate.zip

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eizM4qWioBQ

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

revmoo posted:

Guess not then, ooookay.

You want advice on portability but want to carry an LCD monitor and a desktop around? Have you seen what a DJ booth looks like? Only reason why everyone is being sarcastic is because what you're trying to do is ridiculous. If you want to buy a nice monitor for your computer at home I don't think this is the right thread.

If you want a portable digital setup get a laptop... think of it as another piece of gear, use it only for Traktor if you really have this phobia of them. Please don't try and bring your whole computer to a gig. Otherwise have you thought about using CDjs?

I used to rack up parking tickets by parking in front of the venue and going over my time just for bringing my old controller and laptop to places. Carrying a monitor, a tower, a controller, audio card, cords, etc is going to get really old really fast. That's if you can even fit in the booth of whatever bar you're playing at. Have you considered how long it will take you to set everything up and plug in and that there might be other DJs playing before and after you?

How about instead of calling this idea stupid, we call it unprofessional. Does that make more sense?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Just put the tower and monitor on top of the CDJs/turntables.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

Hmmm, if only they made a computer that had a screen already built in that was approximately 13" in size at that resolution. That would be perfect
Are you suggesting using a tablet PC, like a Surface Pro 3? Seems like the most decent compromise here.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

But guys I really want to DJ with ~my gaming rig~

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I have a really low-key gig (more like a practice session with an audience) that I sometimes split with another DJ.

She does this with a Mac Mini, which is maybe the only machine you could even consider doing this with, and uses a Z2, Launchpad and some other miscellaneous gear.

It is the dumbest poo poo imaginable. She talks about how she wants to play local clubs and I just stare. I'm glad she's having fun, but I would not want to put up with having to set that up in a hurry around another DJ in a booth. To say nothing of being that other DJ.

Don't be that guy. It's hard enough being taken seriously with just a laptop and controller.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

slogsdon posted:

same goes for an alienware laptop

There was a period in 07 where Alienware was the only windows laptop you could buy that didn't come preloaded with that Vista garbage. I'm currently posting from it. It is similar in what is happening now with that win8 touchscreen garbage. I don't want win8, I don't want a touchscreen on my laptop and that OS is terrible.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
To be honest, I'll say it again - if you want portability, an iPad and Traktor DJ compatible mixer is the way to go. There's a reason why the newest high-end Traktor interface has touch screens. They rule.

People might be like "lol iPad dj" but once they see what you can do they'll shut up pretty quick and start asking for lessons.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 24, 2014

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

bad day posted:

There's a reason why the newest high-end Traktor interface has touch screens. They rule.

They do, but it doesn't. Still better than having jogwheels up there, though.

I love my iPad+Z1, it makes a really good backup when my more complex rig goes south.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dessert Rose posted:

They do, but it doesn't. Still better than having jogwheels up there, though.

I love my iPad+Z1, it makes a really good backup when my more complex rig goes south.

jog wheels are my friend

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Here is an Xmas DJ gift - mix Jeremih: Don't Tell Em with The Pliars: Bam Bam - they require some creative chooping/looping of the Pliars song but it sounds awesome, and people will think you are a genius.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Taking a PC to a gig is the best DJing-related thing I've heard all year. Congrats on sneaking in one week before the deadline.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

revmoo posted:

Could you please explain your gig setup

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Young Joc - It's Going Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmuGWqMOI-w

vs

Busta Rhymes - Break Ya Neck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nzQMHLk6LA

You can literally beatmatch them right now, on youtube by stop/starting and get 10 seconds of perfect match, before they start to slip off.

liquorlanche fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 26, 2014

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Run DMC "Tricky" with Far East Movement's "Like A G6".

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Avicii - Levels with Journey - Don't Stop Believing

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Luniz' "I Got 5 On It" with The Fugees' "Ready Or Not"

Real talk: how many people carry extra laptops with them? A few weeks ago I gigged and one of my friends rolled up. I gave her a hug and failed to notice she had a drink in her hand. As I picked her up a little bit splashed onto my keyboard. Everything was fine, I disassembled and cleaned that night when I came home, and we're good. It had just fallen on the arrow keys a little bit and Thinkpads are pretty good about resisting spillage, anyway.

Today I got another laptop and am just finishing up making it ready to gig. I guess what I'm asking is: does anyone here have any good stories in connection to such a major failure?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Groove is in the Heart vs. Bust a Move is a legitimately excellent pairing for some late 80s/early 90s mashup goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8qc_bktRE
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAjKVohoUk8