Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So what you're saying is you want the preacher from the end of the Group Date Cafe in every fight making you vow to not use Mamudo. Me too, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, to limit yourself, you'd have to make a team that consists of basically Teddie, Akihiko, Yukiko, and Yukari, because they get no ailments (not sure about Akihiko), no insta-death, and can basically only kill things. For the ultimate challenge, use this team on a P3 side Risky run!

Also, never use Sub-Personas.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of anything that repels elements or attacks and very very few things have defenses better than Resist (element) outside of bosses.

It's true that there are no repels (on either side), but there are plenty of nulls, even among normal enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

It's true that there are no repels (on either side), but there are plenty of nulls, even among normal enemies.

Eh. It's not really the same. More enemies are vulnerable to more elements and there is no absorb or reflect and no punishment for hitting an enemy's strong points. There isn't a single reason not to cast Ma(x) on an entire group even if 2/3rds of it are strong. Persona 3/4 are not hard games even with those elements being added in but their absence stands out even more here. In addition Sub-persona mean that SP conservation is almost a nonissue, which furthers the OPness of stuff like Hama/Mudo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

you sure about that? the only nulls i've found are against light or dark.

edit: on enemies, i mean.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 23, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hello I'm dumb, what do i do to progress on the Group Date Cafe Stop 3, in the very south area, where there are three F.O.E's clustered together with one facing north, one south, and one west (the one west is beside the one facing north)

I've gone back and forth for 30 minutes and i'm clearly missing something.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I think you have to set it up so the one facing west blocks the movement of one of the other ones, but it's been so long since I've done that room that I don't quite remember.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kill them

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This is the solution to nearly every puzzle involving FOEs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Volt Catfish posted:

Hello I'm dumb, what do i do to progress on the Group Date Cafe Stop 3, in the very south area, where there are three F.O.E's clustered together with one facing north, one south, and one west (the one west is beside the one facing north)

I don't have my 2DS in front of me right now, but I'll try to post detailed instructions later on tonight if nobody else has, or unless you just opt to

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Volt Catfish posted:

if you're trying to just progress through the dungeon, just get the one facing south to move forward, then go past him.

if you're trying to get to the southeast corner (which you need to do for a sidequest), get the one facing north to move, then go through the shortcut next to the door you came in from and make the one facing west move. they don't reset position if you enter a shortcut.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It's not really the same. More enemies are vulnerable to more elements and there is no absorb or reflect and no punishment for hitting an enemy's strong points. There isn't a single reason not to cast Ma(x) on an entire group even if 2/3rds of it are strong. Persona 3/4 are not hard games even with those elements being added in but their absence stands out even more here. In addition Sub-persona mean that SP conservation is almost a nonissue, which furthers the OPness of stuff like Hama/Mudo.
If you cast a boosted Mahamaon and suddenly killed your entire party, even just once, it would probably make you reconsider using that for the rest of the game

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."
I am reaally stuck in Inaba Pride floor 2, can anyone help?

I have the middle and right side of the map cleared and the only way I think I can progress is the room at F2 on the bottom but I don't know how to get past the FOE there (I don't have torch at F3 lit or see another close enough to light it).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you cast a boosted Mahamaon and suddenly killed your entire party, even just once, it would probably make you reconsider using that for the rest of the game

It might cause you to test whether guys reflect light or dark before you nuke the poo poo out of them.

But I think reflected Ma-spells only rebound on the guy who cast the spell, for exactly this reason.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I... I only just understood the pun with Goho-Ms. For years I've been wondering what it means.
I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Part of the balance issues PQ has also comes from the Hp and sp regen you get after every battle. Even without insta kills, there's no reason to avoid going for broke with every fight and opening with your best skills.

The game flow was much better in the first dungeon before sub-personas were introduced and skill costs were lower across the board. It required a lot more thought about whether or not to murder everything as hard as possible.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

HGH posted:

I... I only just understood the pun with Goho-Ms. For years I've been wondering what it means.
Now take a good long look at the Goba-Ks. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Why are all the characters I want to use front-liners? I have Koro sitting in the back for now because he's a good and fast enough spellcaster, but then there's Aki/Junpei/Shinji all fighting for my front spots.

I managed to snag a Persona with Hama, so I could have someone sitting in the back to replace Ken, I guess?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why are all the characters I want to use front-liners? I have Koro sitting in the back for now because he's a good and fast enough spellcaster, but then there's Aki/Junpei/Shinji all fighting for my front spots.

I managed to snag a Persona with Hama, so I could have someone sitting in the back to replace Ken, I guess?

Front Liner/Back Liner basically only matters for base attacks which you should barely ever use. There is no reason to stress out about it, aside from putting your squishiest in the back.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Front Liner/Back Liner basically only matters for base attacks which you should barely ever use. There is no reason to stress out about it, aside from putting your squishiest in the back.

It also matters for melee range special attacks, which also deal half damage from the back row and can't target from back row to back row.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

Oh my God

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

So what you're saying is you want the preacher from the end of the Group Date Cafe in every fight making you vow to not use Mamudo. Me too, actually.

Speaking of that guy, when he ordered you not to "be bossy", what exactly did that mean? I just had everyone use physical attacks when that happened and it turned out fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

It also matters for melee range special attacks, which also deal half damage from the back row and can't target from back row to back row.

Yeah, but it's pretty trivial to get good back-row melee attacks on your Persona. Only the basic weapon attacks can't be changed..

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Kay Kessler posted:

Speaking of that guy, when he ordered you not to "be bossy", what exactly did that mean? I just had everyone use physical attacks when that happened and it turned out fine.

Leader skills.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think there's a whole line of ranged physical elemental attacks like Yunpeis Nuclear Blast for each element that really blurs the line between physical and magical back liners

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are ranged physical attacks, each attack will tell you whether they are or not.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Just look at the color of the coffins he holds up. They match the color of the category of commands you aren't allowed to use.

steakmancer posted:

I think there's a whole line of ranged physical elemental attacks like Yunpeis Nuclear Blast for each element that really blurs the line between physical and magical back liners

There are. They tend to be a little more expensive HP-wise, but not enough to make any difference at all. They might also be a little less powerful (not positive there) but again not enough to make a difference. I wasn't saying that it's a big deal for frontliners to be on the back line (I've got P3MC there myself) but it does matter for more than just basic attacks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Burning Beetles are really dumb.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is Strong Link just something I can't pass on to other personas? I've had a hell of a time with it, and it's currently the only thing keeping Koromaru from being complete garbage in my game, but his Persona is really starting to lag behind other characters. Also, are there any other skills related to Links worth picking up (other than the Links themselves)?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Double/Triple/Quad/Infinite/Golden Link. Turdak has Double I think, Orpheus Telos is the earliest you can get Golden but I don't think you can fuse it off of him.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
You can, His unfusable skill is Melodious Harp.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

cdyoung posted:

You can, His unfusable skill is Melodious Harp.

I have never found a demon that was able to receive Golden Link from fusion.

Also, Golden Link, as far as I can tell, sits beside Double/Triple/Quad/Infinite, it makes the damage scale rather than increasing the number of links, you want Golden plus at least one of the others. TWO of the others, if you're really abusing links, because thanks to double hit, gemini hero, and death chaser, you can hit the cap of 8 on Infinite Link with relative ease.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, first wipe to those scale enemies and one of those lion things thanks to mind charge/mabufu spam and the lion getting off bestial roar.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have never found a demon that was able to receive Golden Link from fusion.

Yeah, Golden Link does not transfer. There are quite a few skills like that in PQ - it's much more restricted than the regular Persona titles.

The good news is that there's really no need to update sub personas until you find something that surpasses them in skills, since sacrifice fusing all those trash personas you pick up can keep early ones relevant for a long time. Just stick with Turdak/Telos until something better comes along. Cu Chulainn (lv 41) is probably the first you can get outside Turdak and Telos, and Kartikeya (53) the first who gets it along with something better than Double Link.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If nothing else Golden Link is definitely a skill card. Ardha gives it to you but he's a level 89 special fusion so you're not getting it until the end game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generally for linking there's a fairly clear upgrade tree, so you can just transfer up to the next "this one is made for linking" Persona that almost certainly has Golden Link beyond a certain point.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Zurai posted:

There are. They tend to be a little more expensive HP-wise, but not enough to make any difference at all. They might also be a little less powerful (not positive there) but again not enough to make a difference. I wasn't saying that it's a big deal for frontliners to be on the back line (I've got P3MC there myself) but it does matter for more than just basic attacks.

Considering how ridiculous the SP costs for -dyne spells initially are as an overwhelming percentage of your base + subpersona SP pool and the ease at which you can regain HP through Fuuka's minimum cost regen spell and all the other healing navigation leader skills I sort of think the elemental physical moves are better towards the end of the third dungeon when the last-tier elemental moves start rolling in.

That is unless you can get some boost turns going without having them break from all the aoe later encounters have.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What do I have to do on the 3rd floor of wonderland? Its on the upper left with the rabbit, there's 2 painting foes around and the rabbit just keeps juking me, I can see the painting on one side of the room but don't know how to get there, I tried fighting the FoE but they seem far stronger than the ones in the first 2 floors which I can kill.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Alteisen posted:

What do I have to do on the 3rd floor of wonderland? Its on the upper left with the rabbit, there's 2 painting foes around and the rabbit just keeps juking me, I can see the painting on one side of the room but don't know how to get there, I tried fighting the FoE but they seem far stronger than the ones in the first 2 floors which I can kill.

go past the southern card soldier and clean the roses you find down there, then clean the roses he was guarding to draw out the other card soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I want a Merciful Clergyman Navi voice pack. That dude has a great voice.

• Locked thread