Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Tenacious J posted:

I'm coming from a 4S, and choosing between the 6 (64gb) and 6+ (16gb). I WANT the + because it just seems really fun and like a great internet browsing experience. I also want to start playing mobile games, which I haven't before. Those reasons and iMessage are by far the main reasons I use a phone. However I worry that the size is just too cumbersome since I bring it everywhere including the gym for music.

What are some thoughts about picking the + as my main phone/mobile computer/ipod/alarm clock VS a larger capacity 6 in terms of size and awkwardness?

You will get positive/negative opinions to both sizes.

I prefer the 6 as I can reach the whole screen with my thumb which is really convenient and its a lot easier to manage when I have it out and I am doing something active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

Did you purchase it between September 2012 and January 2013? Go here to get a new battery for free: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

If not, go here and pay ~$85: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/battery-power/

Alternatively, do it yourself here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Battery+Replacement/10587

This post is sponsored by :google:

Thanks for the information I had already found and for also adding so much to that link that assumes I have a bunch of little tools to take apart a phone

Im pretty sure it's actually defective. It went from 58 to 37 in twenty minutes early with the screen off.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Incipio NGP is currently on sale at Amazon and it was brought up on Slickdeals as Wirecutter's #1 case. The way I see it, the NGP doesn't really offer that much protection, so if you want protection, you might as well go with Wirecutter's #2, the Speck Candyshell (grip).

Does anyone have any experience with either case?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tenacious J posted:

I'm coming from a 4S, and choosing between the 6 (64gb) and 6+ (16gb). I WANT the + because it just seems really fun and like a great internet browsing experience. I also want to start playing mobile games, which I haven't before. Those reasons and iMessage are by far the main reasons I use a phone. However I worry that the size is just too cumbersome since I bring it everywhere including the gym for music.

What are some thoughts about picking the + as my main phone/mobile computer/ipod/alarm clock VS a larger capacity 6 in terms of size and awkwardness?

I would get a 64 gb regardless of the platform I choose. 16 is just too loving small now-especially if you're going to be downloading games and music and crap. My 16gb 5s is constantly full and I had to babysit the loving thing and clean it up all the time. I bought iTunes Match, hoping it would alleviate the capacity issue, but it still downloads a ton of songs instead of only streaming them.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Josh Lyman posted:

The Incipio NGP is currently on sale at Amazon and it was brought up on Slickdeals as Wirecutter's #1 case. The way I see it, the NGP doesn't really offer that much protection, so if you want protection, you might as well go with Wirecutter's #2, the Speck Candyshell (grip).

The candyshell is really bad, the rubber rots away starting a month in and it couldn't protect my 5s from a 2 foot drop.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure if this is the right thread, but figured you guys would know the answer.

I'm going on a snowboarding trip soon and plan on keeping my iPhone in a sealed waterproof case (works with a stylus so I don't need to take my gloves off). However, I figured I'd probably want to be listening to some music or podcasts while on the slopes so I want to find a way to get my headphones working with a bluetooth receiver. I would just buy some bluetooth headphones, but EarPods are the only headphones I've ever found comfortable in my ears. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (and available in the UK) bluetooth receiver that'll let me do this? Also, can anyone vouch for the battery life of an iPhone 6 sending out audio over bluetooth for long periods of time? I'd have airplane mode on the whole time (or at least mobile data and wifi switched off, since having GPS on probably wouldn't hurt) so I'll be saving a lot of battery that way.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have both. I have used a speck candy shell on my 5S so I got one again for my 6. Maybe you got a defective one Dr. Tim Whatley. The ones I have used have offered good protection and the rubber hasn't rotted. It did wear away a bit (even on the one I got for the 6 which is only a couple of months old) but didn't rot. I dropped my 5S on concrete outside of target with a candy shell and it was fine. I almost died when I saw it drop. Anyways, the one thing I didn't like was the added bulk it added to the phone which led me to pick up the Incipio. The Incipio is a typical TPU case but with good build quality. I haven't dropped the phone yet with so can't say how well it would hold up but I suspect it could take a drop okay on a hard surface if it fell on the backside. The lip over the front screen isn't that tall either. Coming from the speck it took some getting used to and taking a bit more precaution for the first day or two. That being said it feels like your using your phone naked which I really like so I kept it.

TL/DR: I would recommend a speck if you want more protection. I would recommend the Incipio if you want some protection but don't want bulk.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Crap, I dropped my iPhone. It has lines on the right side of the screen and the touchscreen doesn't work there. The screen also has funky colors. And if you use it for a little bit it bugs out even more. It also appears to have lost it's retina.
Will this be a screen replace at €80 or will I have to go for the full replacement at €250?

Edit: looks like a screen repair is actually 140, not quite as good.

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 24, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
^ Give us the juicy details. No case on it? How far did it fall from? What surface did it hit? Did it hit corner-first or screen-first etc.? Sorry about your screen. :(

Literally The Worst posted:

Thanks for the information I had already found and for also adding so much to that link that assumes I have a bunch of little tools to take apart a phone

Im pretty sure it's actually defective. It went from 58 to 37 in twenty minutes early with the screen off.

No need to be snarky. Your OP included nothing about the options you had already looked at. You also still did not answer if you qualify for a defective replacement because of your purchase date. I would call Apple because it sounds defective.

Obviously the price of the DIY battery replacement assumes your willingness to DIY and purchase of the required toolkit that ifixit sells. By that point you're looking at a price that's near the Apple option.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 24, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

^ Give us the juicy details. No case on it? How far did it fall from? What surface did it hit? Did it hit corner-first or screen-first etc.? Sorry about your screen. :(

No need to be snarky. Your OP included nothing about the options you had already looked at. You also still did not answer if you qualify for a defective replacement because of your purchase date. I would call Apple because it sounds defective.

Obviously the price of the DIY battery replacement assumes your willingness to DIY and purchase of the required toolkit that ifixit sells. By that point you're looking at a price that's near the Apple option.

Don't bother, guy wants to be a dick about help offered, he can figure it out himself. I was going to post some information about how long it took and where I went, but gently caress him if he's going to act like an entitled prick about it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

serebralassazin posted:

I have both. I have used a speck candy shell on my 5S so I got one again for my 6. Maybe you got a defective one Dr. Tim Whatley. The ones I have used have offered good protection and the rubber hasn't rotted. It did wear away a bit (even on the one I got for the 6 which is only a couple of months old) but didn't rot. I dropped my 5S on concrete outside of target with a candy shell and it was fine. I almost died when I saw it drop. Anyways, the one thing I didn't like was the added bulk it added to the phone which led me to pick up the Incipio. The Incipio is a typical TPU case but with good build quality. I haven't dropped the phone yet with so can't say how well it would hold up but I suspect it could take a drop okay on a hard surface if it fell on the backside. The lip over the front screen isn't that tall either. Coming from the speck it took some getting used to and taking a bit more precaution for the first day or two. That being said it feels like your using your phone naked which I really like so I kept it.

TL/DR: I would recommend a speck if you want more protection. I would recommend the Incipio if you want some protection but don't want bulk.
Yeah that's my thinking. I'm happy to use my phone naked 99% of the time, but if I'm going to a concert or something, I'd want the proper protection afforded by the Speck.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Michael Scott posted:

No need to be snarky.

Says Mr Pot after dropping a Let ME Google That For You-level joke in 2014.

I've got an appointment to take it in on Saturday, because my other option is mailing it in and lol being without a phone for a week while they mail me a replacement.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

Pretty high, I was calling somebody at the moment. I think it fell screen first? My floor is not rock-hard but not carpet either. No case on it, which was stupid. But I doubt if it really would have made a difference. It appears to have a small crack under the screen somehow:(.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress the 800MyIphone number. It tried to pull my account up with my number and got a completely wrong account. I hate you so much right now, Apple.

edit the guy pulled up the diagnostic I ran last night and it's a bad battery. So I got that going for me.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 24, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Oh Apple, I had an escalated caller today and they wanted Verizon to reimburse them for imessage not working. Their voice, regular text, and data worked. They wouldn't even allow me to verify their settings. Apple told him to call us.

"So, your voice, regular texting, and data work. Your Imessaging, which is handled completely by your phone and Apple, is not working and you want us...to give you credits on something we have nothing to do with and are willing to help you figure out?"
"Yes, and right now!"

Oook, the iphone 6 is really nice, but don't get it if you can't afford it folks. It will still be there.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

LPG Giant posted:

No case on it, which was stupid. But I doubt if it really would have made a difference.

You'd be surprised how a bit of rubber will really cut out G-force from being transferred to the phone itself. I love a nice thin rubberized case and it makes it so grippy, which is another factor that might have saved your device from your grubby butterfingers.

I had a naked 4S for a long time, though (and ended up scratching it up hardcore), so I don't blame you.

Mr. Pot :confused:

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 24, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How long has it taken people to get batteries replaced with Apple by mail?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I would be Mr Kettle in this instance.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dude you're weird and should stop being rude to people trying to help.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maybe everyone can stop being perpetually sarcastic assholes who constantly snipe at each other

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

I've got an appointment to take it in on Saturday, because my other option is mailing it in and lol being without a phone for a week while they mail me a replacement.

Well maybe you should learn how to use google, it is 2014 after all :smuggo:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Maybe everyone can stop being perpetually sarcastic assholes who constantly snipe at each other

I remember my first day on the internet too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Why would we do that?

Got off the phone with apple, they checked the diagnostic I sent last night and it turns out my battery is defective. Just gotta limp it along till I get it changed out on Saturday.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Praise the Lord on His birthday.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Praise Steve.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Snark? Not in MY thread.

LPG Giant posted:

Crap, I dropped my iPhone. It has lines on the right side of the screen and the touchscreen doesn't work there. The screen also has funky colors. And if you use it for a little bit it bugs out even more. It also appears to have lost it's retina.
Will this be a screen replace at €80 or will I have to go for the full replacement at €250?

Edit: looks like a screen repair is actually 140, not quite as good.

I genuinely don't know how related these are, but about a year and a half ago, I knocked my iPhone 5 off a nightstand onto carpet, and it had squares along the top of the screen that look like the lines along your screen. In that case, it was because the screen's cable had become slightly dislodged, and I was able to get rid of them by applying pressure to the area just above the screen. It took a few tries but I noticed a small change with each one. Might be worth it to either try that or take it in to a store and just present the problem; maybe they can fix it easier than replacing/repairing the screen itself.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Which one?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

:getin:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Iphone connected to computer, itunes open. When I select a song in itunes and drag it, the left column opens up and iphone is one of the options. But I can't drag anything to it. What's the problem?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

jackpot posted:

Iphone connected to computer, itunes open. When I select a song in itunes and drag it, the left column opens up and iphone is one of the options. But I can't drag anything to it. What's the problem?

Is the "Manually manage music" checkbox checked for your iPhone?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Cawd Rud posted:

Is the "Manually manage music" checkbox checked for your iPhone?
No, because in order to do that it tells me it's going to erase all the media on my entire iphone. I mean who the hell would want to do that? I'm not asking it to sync with this computer, just transfer some songs that are on it. This computer is one of the five authorized through itunes, I'm having a hard time seeing why this is so complicated.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 25, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

jackpot posted:

No, because in order to do that it tells me it's going to erase all the media on my entire iphone. I mean who the hell would want to do that? I'm not asking it to sync with this computer, just transfer some songs that are on it. This computer is one of the five authorized through itunes, I'm having a hard time seeing why this is so complicated.

Which part is complicated?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but figured you guys would know the answer.

I'm going on a snowboarding trip soon and plan on keeping my iPhone in a sealed waterproof case (works with a stylus so I don't need to take my gloves off). However, I figured I'd probably want to be listening to some music or podcasts while on the slopes so I want to find a way to get my headphones working with a bluetooth receiver. I would just buy some bluetooth headphones, but EarPods are the only headphones I've ever found comfortable in my ears. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap (and available in the UK) bluetooth receiver that'll let me do this? Also, can anyone vouch for the battery life of an iPhone 6 sending out audio over bluetooth for long periods of time? I'd have airplane mode on the whole time (or at least mobile data and wifi switched off, since having GPS on probably wouldn't hurt) so I'll be saving a lot of battery that way.

I use a Sony SBH20 at the gym so I'm not tethered to my phone on the treadmill. It works.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I remember someone posted some pretty cool hand made wood cases for the iphone 6 and I cant seem to find it, anyone have a link to it and any feedback on how its been working out would be awesome.

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.

Victorian Gentleman posted:

I remember someone posted some pretty cool hand made wood cases for the iphone 6 and I cant seem to find it, anyone have a link to it and any feedback on how its been working out would be awesome.

Not sure if these are it but they look pretty swank. They've also got some nice, though somewhat pricey, desk things as well.
http://grovemade.com/product/walnut-iphone-case/?initial=102

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jackpot posted:

Because if you don't tell it you want to manually manage your music from the get-go it doesn't let you manually manage your music, because you didn't tell it you wanted to, you told it you wanted to do the opposite.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

I use a Sony SBH20 at the gym so I'm not tethered to my phone on the treadmill. It works.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I've always found those inner-ear earbuds things to be hella uncomfortable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Question Mark Mound posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I've always found those inner-ear earbuds things to be hella uncomfortable.

Then unplug the included headphones and use your own. It's just a bluetooth adapter like you asked for.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Christoff posted:

Does that only work if the airline has an app?

I think the passbook push functionality only works if there's an app. US Airways sends mobile boarding passes via email with a link to click to add the boarding pass to Passbook via Safari not via their app and I've never had it push a gate change to Passbook. US also doesn't geofence their boarding passes, just uses time.

But I use Passbook fairly often. Biggest use is Starbucks card, then presale tickets for music events/nightclubs/shows and then boarding passes. Sometimes for my rewards cards like Walgreens or AMC theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

Then unplug the included headphones and use your own. It's just a bluetooth adapter like you asked for.
Ahh so it is. Didn't quite read it properly I guess, trying to get a look at it during family Christmas. Might order one of these later - cheers!