Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

So I was told to come in today at 11AM for a 4 hour shift. You know, light duty. Was pumped to get to sleep in, enjoy a coffee and chill with the pup.

Nope.

8:30 AM I get a call from the boss. "My router is acting up. Go buy one now. Also get my son a Gaming mouse".

It's loving Xmas eve. I do all of my shopping a month in advance so I don't have to deal with the poo poo show that is last minute shopping.

Buy both on Amazon, e-mail him the tracking information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Actually don't run enterprise software at all.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
We're a small shop so anything that plugs in is my problem.

Their router died today and they wanted wifi for the Xmas presents they bought.

I know everyone always says "Stand your ground and they will respect you more" but that won't work here. I'm in charge of all of her IT and if not she'll find someone else.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

m.hache posted:

I know everyone always says "Stand your ground and they will respect you more" but that won't work here. I'm in charge of all of her IT and if not she'll find someone else.

Time for you to find someone else.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

m.hache posted:

You can always find a reason to be a doormat, no matter the environment. You could just as easily say, "It's a huge company so if I don't do exactly what my boss says, they'll just fire me and the business won't really feel any effect." There's always the fear of getting fired, it's just a matter of how much you want to let the fear control your life. The reality is that it's a HUGE pain in the rear end to find a replacement for a skilled position like this, so most bosses are not going to go through that trouble if some of their workers show that they have spines.

It's up to you. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy around here if you don't do anything about it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

m.hache posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you might want to see if there's somewhere else.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

m.hache posted:

Yeah, you are buying your bosses Christmas presents. There is no way that is your responsibility no matter the size of the shop.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well the wireless in the house does need to work so she can remote in to do pays before the end of the year. So yes, it is still my jurisdiction. She does not have a wired connection to work with.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

m.hache posted:

I'm a small outfit too but there's no loving way I'd treat my guys like my personal slave jesus christ leave there now

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

m.hache posted:

Well the wireless in the house does need to work so she can remote in to do pays before the end of the year. So yes, it is still my jurisdiction. She does not have a wired connection to work with.

Dude, no. Her home systems are not part of your workplace. Unless you're contracted to do personal service, that is not your job. She can go somewhere else to use internet, like the business she runs!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Job market is pretty poo poo here so either I take a hit in pay and an increased drive. Neither of which I can currently afford.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Collateral Damage posted:

Any "enterprise" software that relies on a specific JVM is going to be unmitigated poo poo regardless of platform.

Hey guys, let's make a program that relies on one single java version in the universe.

Why the hell is that even a thing? Does Java really change that much version to version?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

m.hache posted:

Job market is pretty poo poo here so either I take a hit in pay and an increased drive. Neither of which I can currently afford.
So you're being paid a quantifiable amount more to be a lackey.

Fine as long as you think the price is right. But it's still not in the scope of IT.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Hey guys, let's make a program that relies on one single java version in the universe.

Why the hell is that even a thing? Does Java really change that much version to version?

Do you know how much has to be revised to activate all-new bugs instead of just adding on to the already-existing ones? Jeez...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

m.hache posted:

1. She can't unplug the router and plug right into the modem?

2. How does a gaming mouse fit into this?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

m.hache posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Buy both on Amazon, e-mail himher the tracking information.

It will easily get there by the end of the year. Then you can give her the phone number to her ISP's tech support. Her Christmas toys are not your concern.

Mostly though, update your resume and get the hell out of there.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 24, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

jim truds posted:

1. She can't unplug the router and plug right into the modem?

2. How does a gaming mouse fit into this?

1. No, it's 3 floors down.

2. While I was grabbing the router, could you also get me the mouse.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

m.hache posted:

1. No, it's 3 floors down.

2. While I was grabbing the router, could you also get me the mouse.

This could easily turn into you becoming a doormat for any and everything the boss wants. Is it the first time something like this has happened, is it out of scope for what is laid out as your job?

It could be some Christmas favor though as well. Devil's Advocate here, maybe the boss has a house full of family and can't easily get out to the store to get a last minute gift. Bonus points perhaps, have the mouse wrapped at the store.

Now if you are buying all this out of your own pocket, that is another issue. Maybe if the boss cuts you a check or something when you drop it off.

I can see it going either way, doormat really easy, but if this is a one time thing, it could just be more "hey, do me a favor" rather than "do what I want slave".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Koskun posted:

I can see it going either way, doormat really easy, but if this is a one time thing, it could just be more "hey, do me a favor" rather than "do what I want slave".

From his other posts, he will get fired/replaced if he doesn't comply with these inane demands. That doesn't sound like "hey, do me a favor".

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well without going into a huge background the way I got this job in the first place was setting up her home network. It's a little bit of a cluster gently caress because they couldn't run cables anywhere so we have 2 routers in place as well as a modem.

I didn't pay a cent for the equipment out of pocket, nor would I ever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

m.hache posted:

Also get my son a Gaming mouse".

Go buy the kid a $1200 mouse.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

To be fair I bought the most overpriced one I could find. It shot air at your hand.

All in all the job is stupid easy. I sit most days and just surf the net. Turns out to be more of a curse since my motivation to do anything slowly declines but I try to keep busy with certs here and there. Today just struck a cord because I was looking to sleep in but on the same token I feel like I need to justify my salary.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
It must be awfully cathartic to project say-no-to-my-boss.txt fantasies but telling someone to do poo poo like order from Amazon on Christmas loving eve is really dumb you guys.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gilok posted:

I've got a particular user who has an iMac that he destroyed trying to upgrade to Yosemite (without consulting us first). He had a time machine, but he didn't use it because he couldn't figure out how it works. As a result, I've spent a week trying to reimage this thing with mavericks and recover his data, particularly his ten years of archived outlook mail.

I look under his desk and what do I see? A brand new MacBook Air, still in the shrink wrap. :fuckoff:

This describes almost every Mac user I've run into, the only exceptions being old salt IT guys that took the time to learn how to use a Mac. Otherwise, it's a bunch of graphic designers with too much money, or people whose computer experience never went beyond "used a calculator in high school".

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Naw, pick out a really nice laptop that comes with a free gaming mouse, and slip the cashier fifty bucks to swap prices on the receipt. Or just split receipts...

Elsewise, yeah. "Excuse me, where are your MonsterTM Exxxxxteme(xxxx) Gaming Peripherals? Yeah, the gold-cabled limited <big-name gamer> editions."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It must be awfully cathartic to project say-no-to-my-boss.txt fantasies but telling someone to do poo poo like order from Amazon on Christmas loving eve is really dumb you guys.

How do you figure? The business need for the router is 'before the end of the year', it will get there in time. Her wanting the router set up today so she could have 'wifi for the Xmas presents they bought' and anything at all to do with her son's gaming mouse shouldn't really even be dignified with a response, but if he's going to be professional about it he just needs to explain that neither of those are in any way relevant to his job as IT support for the company.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Renegret posted:

Not my story, but a good friend of mine who used to work at Best Buy told me something that happened while she was working there.

A few years ago (3-4 I think), Best Buy went through an enormous internal reorganization of all their stores. It moved departments around, combined Geek Squad and customer service, and a whole bunch of stuff. As a result of the Geek Squad/Customer service merge, all the stores were left with a giant pile of useless customer service POS machines that had to be relocated and re-imaged with the Geek Squad ticketing systems.

The company was totally oblivious this would happen, and their IT department proceeded to get thousands of requests within the next few days to move and reimage computers. Obviously IT did not have the manpower to handle this in a timely manner.

So IT's response? The CFO blasts out a company wide e-mail stating that they will NOT be honoring any re-imaging or relocation requests until further notice. This was, of course, just a few weeks before Thanksgiving.

Must be nice when your CFO endorses the "Stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the problem completely while the company burns" method of dealing with challenges.
I understand not wanting to open up the imaging process but couldn't Geek Squad at least move their own drat computers? I know, it's Geek Squad, but still it's pretty hard to mess up plugging a computer in.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Also, Geek Squad does all of Best Buy's corporate IT support.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How do you figure? The business need for the router is 'before the end of the year', it will get there in time. Her wanting the router set up today so she could have 'wifi for the Xmas presents they bought' and anything at all to do with her son's gaming mouse shouldn't really even be dignified with a response, but if he's going to be professional about it he just needs to explain that neither of those are in any way relevant to his job as IT support for the company.

"I'm sorry, but this is outside the scope of what I'm employed to do. I can't complete this for you."

"You're fired"

**Later that day**

Hey kids thankfully I bought all your presents already because I just lost my job and we're now on food stamps
________

Edit: I'm being flippant, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should consider all the factors here. It's a volatile situation (Christmas Eve, poo poo boss, boss happens to be a parent worrying about her kids enjoying Christmas) - and because (I believe) m.hache lives and works in the US, with poo poo employment law abound.

Going against the grain *at this time* for what's probably not more than a short trip to Best Buy and then 30 minutes configuring the router, definitely isn't wise in my opinion. By all means m.hache should get the scope of his IT support in writing for the future (Direct SLAs, hours or whatever) - But to do it today? Nah. I know it's a poo poo situation, but you need to pick when you fight your battles sometimes.

All of this is meaningless I guess, m.hache knows the situation better than anyone of us will do.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 24, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-keurig-green-recall-idUSKBN0K10XK20141223

And coffee chat is back. Massive Keurig recall.

"The company said the machines could malfunction especially if used to brew more than two cups in quick succession."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Knormal posted:

I understand not wanting to open up the imaging process but couldn't Geek Squad at least move their own drat computers? I know, it's Geek Squad, but still it's pretty hard to mess up plugging a computer in.

Kind of funny that the Geek Squad don't have the ability to handle reimaging PCs from a supplied image.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"I'm sorry, but this is outside the scope of what I'm employed to do. I can't complete this for you."

"You're fired"

**Later that day**

Hey kids thankfully I bought all your presents already because I just lost my job and we're now on food stamps
________

Edit: I'm being flippant, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should consider all the factors here. It's a volatile situation (Christmas Eve, poo poo boss, boss happens to be a parent worrying about her kids enjoying Christmas) - and because (I believe) m.hache lives and works in the US, with poo poo employment law abound.

Going against the grain *at this time* for what's probably not more than a short trip to Best Buy and then 30 minutes configuring the router, definitely isn't wise in my opinion. By all means m.hache should get the scope of his IT support in writing for the future (Direct SLAs, hours or whatever) - But to do it today? Nah. I know it's a poo poo situation, but you need to pick when you fight your battles sometimes.

All of this is meaningless I guess, m.hache knows the situation better than anyone of us will do.
I think it's easy to say no to your boss in corporate environments where there are set expectations.
If it's a small business then sometimes it can be like a family business where it's acceptable to ask for a favour like this as you are potentially the only tech person the boss even knows

Naturally in the corporate world the answer is lol no but if I was m.hache I'd probably say something like ok but I'm adding a day onto my Xmas leave because you made me work on Xmas eve, I think it's not about saying no to the boss in this situation but if you are willing to be helpful then at least get a favour back which conveys the message of I'm not a doormat just as well

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

angry armadillo posted:

I think it's easy to say no to your boss in corporate environments where there are set expectations.
If it's a small business then sometimes it can be like a family business where it's acceptable to ask for a favour like this as you are potentially the only tech person the boss even knows

Naturally in the corporate world the answer is lol no but if I was m.hache I'd probably say something like ok but I'm adding a day onto my Xmas leave because you made me work on Xmas eve, I think it's not about saying no to the boss in this situation but if you are willing to be helpful then at least get a favour back which conveys the message of I'm not a doormat just as well

Also depends I'd you have a shot at banging the owner's hot wife on the matrimonial bed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spog posted:

Also depends I'd you have a shot at banging the owner's hot wife on the matrimonial bed.

Everyone knows that this doesn't actually happen - it's all about the sailboats, man.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

Technically yes, but getting the computers reimaged was the bigger problem. At least in the store my friend worked in, not moving the computer just meant that they had to walk certain customers 20 or so feet away to a different part of the desk. It's also a huge pain in the rear end, out of scope, and those guys are way overworked as it is since it's still a retail job first and foremost.

spog posted:

Kind of funny that the Geek Squad don't have the ability to handle reimaging PCs from a supplied image.

It's kind of hard to reimage a POS terminal without an image. Plus I'm willing to bet that messing with one without authorization would get you in heaps of trouble and who really wants to take that chance? Especially when their boss is yelling at you to go make some money because it's not like Geek Squad gets paid to fix computers anyway.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 25, 2014

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Is your official job description fixing work machines and you help out at her house or are you really getting paid to be personal it and get to occasionally play big kid and work on business machines?

The answer will be what you decide to do.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The company I work for is failing spectacularly, as I previously mentioned.
It's nice having to support <30% of the users I supported just a few weeks ago. It has left me with some time to do a much needed overhaul of our infrastructure.
I'm starting with our rackspiles of servers.

Just bought this with my Christmas $$ so I could get the other 6950 in the rack. Yes, my company is too poor to shell out $36 for rails, and yes I will be taking the server that they are attached to when they go belly up.

Merry Christmas to me :toot:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

skooma512/SA/Severity 4/Merry Christmas to all the homies on call today

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes, my company is too poor to shell out $36 for rails, and yes I will be taking the server that they are attached to when they go belly up.

Merry Christmas to me :toot:

Aside from the stress of becoming unemployed, a company failing can be a great opportunity to increase a personal hardware pile.

I've scored a SAN, piles of servers, switches and routers and a trio of enterprise firewalls that now power my VPN connections between home, colo and other colo. And selling a bunch of inherited 48-port PoE switches paid for a trip to Hawaii once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Aside from the stress of becoming unemployed, a company failing can be a great opportunity to increase a personal hardware pile.

I've scored a SAN, piles of servers, switches and routers and a trio of enterprise firewalls that now power my VPN connections between home, colo and other colo. And selling a bunch of inherited 48-port PoE switches paid for a trip to Hawaii once.

I usually grab e-waste. I scored a mechanical keyboard and Microsoft Wheel Mouse Opticals this way. They work, they just don't want them. Also an XP era machine I want to use for old games.

What I really want is a UPS. Network might be able to hook it up as they have some that do not have a NIC slot and are thus useless to them :getin:

• Locked thread