Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I get the sense that the Meijin isn't particularly pleased with how Allan's been running the Gunpla Academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I admit the only thing that disappoints me about Lady is that she also fell to the "girls pilot SD mecha" curse. Mostly because I really really wanted to see a completely ridiculous custom Stargazer.

Are you forgetting Sekai and Sakai's SD smackdown?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you forgetting Sekai and Sakai's SD smackdown?

No, it doesn't really change the fact that female characters tend to get SD units disproportionately often. It isn't some big magic conspiracy, it is because the SD Gundam line is considered the 'cute line' and so marketed more heavily towards women than the other lines. I only find it disappointing in this case because I wanted to see a Stargazer Custom.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, it doesn't really change the fact that female characters tend to get SD units disproportionately often. It isn't some big magic conspiracy, it is because the SD Gundam line is considered the 'cute line' and so marketed more heavily towards women than the other lines. I only find it disappointing in this case because I wanted to see a Stargazer Custom.

Plus wasn't the logic for Sekai building a SD Gundam as his first gunpla that it was easy to make compared to normal models?

Shame we didn't get to see the Stargazer, though there's still hope that she'll use it when they inevitably fight her for real.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i love u meijin never leave

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Its way more likely that its just chosen because of SD vs SD than any other reason you know. Like barely any of the women/girls in this or any other of the build series (including side stories) uses SD suits. Far more likely to be an Acguy variant than anything.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But SD's are cooler?

Also did anyone get a screenshot of ALL ARE SHOOTING DOWN. I need it for my Mecha HUD Engrish collage.

I got it, but with the YouTube bars. I can post it when I get home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its way more likely that its just chosen because of SD vs SD than any other reason you know. Like barely any of the women/girls in this or any other of the build series (including side stories) uses SD suits. Far more likely to be an Acguy variant than anything.

Acguy is effectively treated as an SD suit for this purposes due to the aforementioned 'cute' thing. Otherwise it's either units piloted by iconic female Gundam characters or SD suits. (Or the Miss Sazabi but we all know what happened to that.)

The "SD vs SD" argument strikes me as really weird because what you're arguing is that SD gundams are inferior machines which isn't really how they've ever been portrayed. To even have to address "Fumina lost because the other Gundam has longer limbs" implies that is a factor which sort of devalues the fun of SD Gundams in the series as not being different in any meaningful way. The G-MUSE episode only argued that the limbs were wrong for Sekai's kung-fu and he didn't understand the strengths of his Gunpla, not that SD Gundams are crappier.

I'm not even sure why this is an argument. They've literally said in-show that the SD Gundam line is marketed to women! This isn't even a "it's sexist" line or anything! It's just how they target the sales!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It just would have been awkward having a HG squash a SD. The point (hopefully) is that Fumina needs to change her battle philosophy, and getting wrecked by a SD hammers that in since those are all about understanding your kit's main gimmick. If Lady was piloting a Stargazer, though, no matter what the lesson would have been it would have looked like they were implying SDs are inferior to HGs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Acguy is effectively treated as an SD suit for this purposes due to the aforementioned 'cute' thing. Otherwise it's either units piloted by iconic female Gundam characters or SD suits. (Or the Miss Sazabi but we all know what happened to that.)

The "SD vs SD" argument strikes me as really weird because what you're arguing is that SD gundams are inferior machines which isn't really how they've ever been portrayed. To even have to address "Fumina lost because the other Gundam has longer limbs" implies that is a factor which sort of devalues the fun of SD Gundams in the series as not being different in any meaningful way. The G-MUSE episode only argued that the limbs were wrong for Sekai's kung-fu and he didn't understand the strengths of his Gunpla, not that SD Gundams are crappier.

I was talking more in the general aspect of making it easier for the animators + any thematic importance that they want to make with the fight. Its exactly what happened with Sekai v Minato in ep4. Its not really about people in universe saying that SD are not at a disadvantage, its what viewers would think, regardless of what the characters say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

It just would have been awkward having a HG squash a SD. The point (hopefully) is that Fumina needs to change her battle philosophy, and getting wrecked by a SD hammers that in since those are all about understanding your kit's main gimmick. If Lady was piloting a Stargazer, though, no matter what the lesson would have been it would have looked like they were implying SDs are inferior to HGs.

Why would it have been implying that? We literally had two other characters swap suits this episode to show that it is more than the suit quality that determines the winner.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was talking more in the general aspect of making it easier for the animators + any thematic importance that they want to make with the fight. Its exactly what happened with Sekai v Minato in ep4. Its not really about people in universe saying that SD are not at a disadvantage, its what viewers would think, regardless of what the characters say.

That says really bad things about Fumina's future prospects though because her upgrade is still an SD. If it transforms away from an SD like people suspect then that is basically saying that, isn't it?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hell, remember Takeshi's recommendations for Reiji and Aila's first Gunpla?

Reiji - normal Gundam used by the protagonist of the series it came from
Aila - an SD Gundam

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Why would it have been implying that? We literally had two other characters swap suits this episode to show that it is more than the suit quality that determines the winner.

Because there is a difference between having two things of equal height being swapped and one short thing being beaten up by a bigger thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Because there is a difference between having two things of equal height being swapped and one short thing being beaten up by a bigger thing.

Well, like I said above, what does that mean for the future? Either Fumina's SD Gundam will have to fight a bigger thing eventually, or else it will be transforming into a full-sized robot which still basically says "SD Gundams can't fight big things."

I mean it doesn't really matter as that is probably not Lady's final gunpla at all so Stargazer dream still lives.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That says really bad things about Fumina's future prospects though because her upgrade is still an SD. If it transforms away from an SD like people suspect then that is basically saying that, isn't it?

Depends on how its handled? I dont think its going to be an issue of "Oh its no longer an SD, it can now really fight".

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically. We have plenty of people that openly disregard whats said in universe in any series to follow their own headcanon. Making it this way guarantees that they cant have johns about it.

quote:

I mean it doesn't really matter as that is probably not Lady's final gunpla at all so Stargazer dream still lives.

Look at it this way, the Star Winning might have taken inspiration from Sei's star strike, but there is something else with Star in its name from someone she looks up to.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Having different heights actually make a difference would really go against what Yuuki was talking about in this episode. Have they ever actually said that SDs are inferior in battle?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Basically. We have plenty of people that openly disregard whats said in universe in any series to follow their own headcanon. Making it this way guarantees that they cant have johns about it.

That's fair.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Srice posted:

Having different heights actually make a difference would really go against what Yuuki was talking about in this episode. Have they ever actually said that SDs are inferior in battle?

That's missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter what they say about it in-show, the fact is there are already a ton of people IRL who think SDs are worse than HGs by default. That's why Fumina switching from the Cardigan ruffled all those feathers. No matter how they try to justify it, having a HG beat on a SD just looks bad and would enable all of those nay-sayers.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, like I said above, what does that mean for the future? Either Fumina's SD Gundam will have to fight a bigger thing eventually, or else it will be transforming into a full-sized robot which still basically says "SD Gundams can't fight big things."

The difference is that in this fight, Fumina is supposed to lose and learn something from it. The Winning has already been kicking 1/144 scale rear end, that's really not the issue. But if you're framing the fight as Fumina learning she's been doing it wrong, it is probably not a good idea to have the opponent be in a completely different scale!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

That's missing the point entirely. It doesn't matter what they say about it in-show, the fact is there are already a ton of people IRL who think SDs are worse than HGs by default. That's why Fumina switching from the Cardigan ruffled all those feathers. No matter how they try to justify it, having a HG beat on a SD just looks bad and would enable all of those nay-sayers.

:pwn:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't tell if you're trying to be witty or if you've just never been on /m/.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

To be fair I avoid /m/ too. Wrenched hive of scum and villainy and all that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Or here, plenty of people in here would rather have her stick to the Cardigan instead of the winning. Despite the cardigan only getting grief the time it was on screen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I just legitimately do not understand the uh, exciting world of gunpla fandom I guess? And I can't say I want to.

Like to me if Lady would beat Hoshino with a non-SD Gundam I would immediately understand that it's because Lady is a better pilot and not because Hoshino was using an SD, especially since Yuuki was really talking up how it's the pilot's skill that matters. The show has been really big on how piloting skills are the biggest factor! It's bizarre to me that someone could see a hypothetical scene like that and come to a different conclusion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair I avoid /m/ too. Wrenched hive of scum and villainy and all that.

The GBF T discussion threads are hilarious in that there are some good points being argued, but they're buried under waves and waves of shitposts.

Like there are legitimately people confused about why the Destiny was able to break the BB's face with a cross counter while the Mega Shiki blew itself up trying to punch it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or here, plenty of people in here would rather have her stick to the Cardigan instead of the winning. Despite the cardigan only getting grief the time it was on screen.

Well, let's be honest, it isn't like the Winning Gundam has been a particularly great shower either, but that's not really SD or full-sized, that's Fumina needing the lesson she hopefully learned this episode.

BlitzBlast posted:

The GBF T discussion threads are hilarious in that there are some good points being argued, but they're buried under waves and waves of shitposts.

Like there are legitimately people confused about why the Destiny was able to break the BB's face with a cross counter while the Mega Shiki blew itself up trying to punch it.

Sounds like they need a visit from the Meijin.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"Gunpla battle was better when it was all blood, sweat, and weathering, not all this bullshit plavsky hax going on now."

I think that opinion popped up when Nils wrecked Greco's Tallgeese, and it's been going on strong ever since. /m/. :allears:

Srice posted:

It's bizarre to me that someone could see a hypothetical scene like that and come to a different conclusion.

You not understanding why some people would think SDs look stupid compared to HGs is an even more confusing viewpoint to me.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess I do not understand the gunpla equivalent to the dubs vs subs debate, I suppose! If I were to see a non-SD fight a SD I'd figure it to be more about the characters piloting them than making a statement on which toy is better (unless they actually made that the subject of an episode of course).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Srice posted:

I just legitimately do not understand the uh, exciting world of gunpla fandom I guess? And I can't say I want to.

Like to me if Lady would beat Hoshino with a non-SD Gundam I would immediately understand that it's because Lady is a better pilot and not because Hoshino was using an SD, especially since Yuuki was really talking up how it's the pilot's skill that matters. The show has been really big on how piloting skills are the biggest factor! It's bizarre to me that someone could see a hypothetical scene like that and come to a different conclusion.

In this case there was a thing they already were trying to prove and they didnt want it to be muddled by any inconsistencies that could be re-interpreted. In Yuuma's case it was specifically his failings as a pilot (and not even that, it was just his trauma causing him to not play properly). In Fumina's case its a failing of her model (or the ideology that lead her to make a model like that in the first place) and fighting skill wasn't directly being tested in that fight. Having her use anything but an SD would have muddied that lesson.

vvvv
Its one going to be one of its gimmicks. It wouldn't surprise me if it also has a flight mode, backpack powerups for the other suits and powerups for itself when in SD form.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 24, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

so with fumina's lesson that makes the scale conversion the star winning gundam's gimmick right?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In this case there was a thing they already were trying to prove and they didnt want it to be muddled by any inconsistencies that could be re-interpreted. In Yuuma's case it was specifically his failings as a pilot (and not even that, it was just his trauma causing him to not play properly). In Fumina's case its a failing of her model (or the ideology that lead her to make a model like that in the first place) and fighting skill wasn't directly being tested in that fight. Having her use anything but an SD would have muddied that lesson.

Okay that makes a lot more sense to me instead of hearing about inane gunpla fandom arguments on /m/, thanks!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Srice posted:

I guess I do not understand the gunpla equivalent to the dubs vs subs debate, I suppose!

:psyduck:

This is a SD. It is a deformed version of the original design with the goal of looking cute.

This is the regular proportions. It is trying to look like the original robot, which is usually trying to look cool.

Is it really that alien of a concept to you that some people don't like the cartoony version? It has nothing to do with gunpla, it's just a basic matter of taste. Trying to pass it off as some arcane thing only true gunpla fans would get just makes you sound silly.

And that's ignoring how this whole argument is just a tangent to a point you completely miss-

Srice posted:

Okay that makes a lot more sense to me instead of hearing about inane gunpla fandom arguments on /m/, thanks!

oh okay sure whatever

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

vvvv
Its one going to be one of its gimmicks. It wouldn't surprise me if it also has a flight mode, backpack powerups for the other suits and powerups for itself when in SD form.

well its head looks to be the core fighter this time so i'm cool with it having all of the gimmicks

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

W.T. Fits posted:

I get the sense that the Meijin isn't particularly pleased with how Allan's been running the Gunpla Academy.

The entire idea of Gunpla Academy as "a school built to win at Gunpla" seems to go entirely against Meijin III's gunpla philosophy and feels like it veers way closer to Meijin II's "GOTTA WIN AT ALL COSTS" thing that Yuuki explicitly rejected. I'm kind of surprised that Allan is involved in it, especially since the Gunpla Academy members we've seen so far are either arrogant assholes or don't seem to really care about their teammates being arrogant assholes.

I have to say that I'm highly amused that this episode basically consisted of the Meijin Crew rolling up and all but screaming everything people in this thread have been complaining about the show directly into Yuuma and Fumina's faces. My favorite is the direct contrast between Meijin and Lady's encouragement styles. Meijin's like "No, you have the power within you, you're just making excuses, see this is what's wrong" and Lady is like "Wow, you're really poo poo at this. Can't you figure this poo poo out, you stupid moron? You might as well give up." I'm pretty sure that if Lady had got to Yuuma instead of Meijin they'd find Yuuma curled up into a fetal ball on the floor of the Hilarious Rose Garden Gunpla Battle Room rocking back and forth and sobbing because that kid has the thinnest skin in the universe.

I'm just super glad that finally, FINALLY we got to see the Winning actually use its poo poo. It's so cool! It just never gets to do anything!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I just do not think a non-SD gunpla fighting an SD gunpla would necessarily be commentary on one being better than the other. That's my stance!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I do like going to other forums/boards to see the general reaction to shows though and see how different they are between communities. Like here we are happy Yuuma got over his problems and that Fumina probably learned something. Some other forums are that + devastated/delighted that the Sekai+Fumina ship might be sinking. 4chan is that + whether or not Shia is secretly a boy, how totally gay Saga and Wilfred are for each other and devastated that their Yuuki+Allen ship might be sinking.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I do like going to other forums/boards to see the general reaction to shows though and see how different they are between communities. Like here we are happy Yuuma got over his problems and that Fumina probably learned something. Some other forums are that + devastated/delighted that the Sekai+Fumina ship might be sinking. 4chan is that + whether or not Shia is secretly a boy, how totally gay Saga and Wilfred are for each other and devastated that their Yuuki+Allen ship might be sinking.

Heck I am glad the discourse here does rise above merely focusing on who wants to bone whom :v:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

i want the meijin to fight sekai's master

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

3 posted:

In an episode full of ridiculous and amazing (:haw:) moments, I don't know why this one stood out the most for me.

The best part? His helmet is more or less the Red Warrior's head (minus the V-fin). Shine on, you crazy Meijin. :allears:

Anyhew, I would to thank our Glorious Lord and Savior Meijin Kawaguchi for finally smacking some sense into Yuuma. Would have preferred the backhand slap method, but what we did get will suffice.

As for next episode, they seem to be doing a "one rep from each team" thing for this battle royale, and Sugita's character looks like he's representing his team. Since mobile armors require 3 people under the new rules, does this mean that finally, Sugita gets his elusive Gundam? Or, like Bright Noa, will he fail to ride the (Gunpla) rainbow?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They'll give him a Gunpla for one of those Mobile Suits that was a Gundam in all but name, like the RE-GZ or Hyaku Shiki (but obviously not those ones, since they've already been used).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They'll give him a Gunpla for one of those Mobile Suits that was a Gundam in all but name, like the RE-GZ or Hyaku Shiki (but obviously not those ones, since they've already been used).
Let's go one step further and say he gets a custom Rick Dias.

• Locked thread