Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm starting to wonder if I need to switch to a different kind of BC pill. I've been on Aviane (or some generic variant thereof depending on what my insurance covered) for about four years and I've always gotten my period like clockwork and it's basically the same every time (only 2-3 days of bleeding where I need any sort of pad/tampon). Except this month I got some mid-cycle spotting for a day or two which I've rarely had before and now I'm having a crazy light period on the placebo week. It came on time and it's definitely period blood (brownish and clotty) but it's been so light I barely need a liner which is something that I've never experienced before. Is this something to be worried about or has my body decided to mix it up a little this month? Last month was a little abnormal as well, but leaning towards the heavy side.

The odds of pregnancy are extremely low, so I'm trying not to panic unless next month is also screwy but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit freaked out. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that random super light periods are a thing that happens sometimes so I can stop worrying.

I took the pill for about 4 years and my period was like that towards the end. It got to the point that I would sometimes seriously question if a pantiliner was even worth it (definitely no need for tampons).

Like GoodBee said, if you're really worried you can always get a pregnancy test for relatively cheap. Just make sure to follow the directions closely so you don't freak yourself out more with an evaporation line. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
It started and ended exactly on time even though it was super light so I think I was worried over nothing :)

If it's weird next month too then I'll look into switching BC methods.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It started and ended exactly on time even though it was super light so I think I was worried over nothing :)

If it's weird next month too then I'll look into switching BC methods.

Very light periods on hormonal birth control are perfectly normal since it tends to thin the uterine lining over time (for as long as you're using it anyway). It's not a sign that your method isn't working right or anything. There are times when I still wish I had that! :v:

Also just thought I'd throw this in for anyone having trouble with breakouts thanks to BC like I was - Cetaphil (or the generic equivalent) works wonders.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 23, 2014

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I got a Mirena three months ago and it's the best thing ever!! My gyno used local anesthesia and I only felt pressure. She said it was one of the easiest insertions she'd done. Hooray cooperative lady bits. I drove home after. I was crampy the next few days, but after that.... Gloriously cramp free.

I used to get really bad cycle acne, and while it's not completely stopped, it's way better than it was. It took zero convincing my current obgyn to insert even though I've not had kids. A pleasant change of pace considering the last one wouldn't even talk to me about iuds. I hate the south sometimes, and love Colorado the more I live here.

Edit : Welp, I guess someone had to keep this thread alive.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
I'm hoping this is the right thread to post this question in. I'm in need of some advice. I've been in a 2 mo monogamous relationship with a guy I'm completely gaga over. I got tested, he got tested, and now I want to stop using stupid condoms. I've had a Paraguard for going on 2 yrs now. The problem is he's Bosnian (came here after the war) and didn't even know what an IUD was till I explained it to him with the help of diagrams on the internet. Neither of us ever want kids and he's SUPER insane paranoid about getting me knocked up. 2nd problem is we're both 38 so sometimes his dudeparts don't cooperate with use of condoms and they do a great job of killing the mood for various reasons.

Ideally, I'd take him to my lady doctor to have poo poo explained to him by a professional but he works 6 days a week so to have time for that would be tough. I'm just not sure what to do here. I hate to be like this but condoms really do suck (even with using lubricants). I'd never stop seeing him over this but I have my poo poo locked down for a reason and it just seems like rampant overkill. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Nine Five Four
Aug 26, 2014

I want numbers. Lots and lots of numbers.
I used to be on Nexplanon but I just had it removed recently. I gained weight, got hormonal acne, and it made me really emotionally blah (I'd cry over the littlest things) etc.

Before I was on Nexplanon I used NuvaRing, which was fine for me. My only issue with it is it has a high copay. So I'd probably not want to use that one again simply for budget reasons.

Can anyone tell me which birth control pills are free under Obamacare? Is this really true and would it apply to employer insurance? I saw in the OP that there are many generics that are $4 or $9 per month which would be fine too. I'm in no hurry to go back on BC for awhile, since I am getting divorced and don't see myself trying to date for at least a few months, but it'll be good to have options when I'm ready. Does anyone know which forms cost the low amounts?

Also, let's say I want to travel for awhile--like backpack in other countries for 6 months or so. How do you arrange to have enough pills to carry with you during that time?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

When I was traveling, I just called my pharmacy and told them how long I'd be gone, and they were happy to fill an order for enough pills to last me through then.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I think your insurance company/pharmacy is going to be able to give you a better idea of what costs what.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

Pig Head posted:

I'm hoping this is the right thread to post this question in. I'm in need of some advice. I've been in a 2 mo monogamous relationship with a guy I'm completely gaga over. I got tested, he got tested, and now I want to stop using stupid condoms. I've had a Paraguard for going on 2 yrs now. The problem is he's Bosnian (came here after the war) and didn't even know what an IUD was till I explained it to him with the help of diagrams on the internet. Neither of us ever want kids and he's SUPER insane paranoid about getting me knocked up. 2nd problem is we're both 38 so sometimes his dudeparts don't cooperate with use of condoms and they do a great job of killing the mood for various reasons.

Ideally, I'd take him to my lady doctor to have poo poo explained to him by a professional but he works 6 days a week so to have time for that would be tough. I'm just not sure what to do here. I hate to be like this but condoms really do suck (even with using lubricants). I'd never stop seeing him over this but I have my poo poo locked down for a reason and it just seems like rampant overkill. Any advice would be highly appreciated!

How about linking him to the Planned Parenthood page about IUDs? Their FAQs tend to be helpful.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face
Thanks - I'll try that tonight. :)

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

These charts might help (there are some caveats with the way they did this, but it's still a pretty great visual of how effective IUDs are compared to condoms.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/14/sunday-review/unplanned-pregnancies.html?_r=0

It might also be worth having a discussion about "what would happen if I did end up pregnant anyway" with him. It's good to get stuff like how you both feel about the potential for having an abortion out there in the open. If he feels like you are both on the same page it might help him to relax.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ceridwen posted:

These charts might help (there are some caveats with the way they did this, but it's still a pretty great visual of how effective IUDs are compared to condoms.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/14/sunday-review/unplanned-pregnancies.html?_r=0

It might also be worth having a discussion about "what would happen if I did end up pregnant anyway" with him. It's good to get stuff like how you both feel about the potential for having an abortion out there in the open. If he feels like you are both on the same page it might help him to relax.

I used to be a little anxious about Paragard's effectiveness and I think the clincher for me (and possibly for him too) was seeing that statistically-speaking, it's actually slightly more effective than outright surgical sterilization. IUDs in general are also one of the most popular and widely used birth control methods overall worldwide and I'd imagine they wouldn't be if they didn't work as well as they do.

It also might help to break things down a little more. Instead of "this method is 99% effective" explain it in terms of what they actually mean by that percentage, like "out of 100 women using this method in a given year, 1 will theoretically get pregnant" or whatever.

I've been with a guy sort of like this (maybe less anxious). It really came down to just educating him a bit and just seeing over time that the birth control was clearly working.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In the meantime you could also try using condoms that don't suck. You could get a microthin variety pack, or I think a couple of us recommend Skyn (which isn't so pricey if you buy online).

Also, not to be the buzzkill, but two months seems a little early maybe? If either of you happened to catch something before getting together, it's possible it wouldn't show up on STD tests yet.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Anne Whateley posted:

In the meantime you could also try using condoms that don't suck. You could get a microthin variety pack, or I think a couple of us recommend Skyn (which isn't so pricey if you buy online).

Also, not to be the buzzkill, but two months seems a little early maybe? If either of you happened to catch something before getting together, it's possible it wouldn't show up on STD tests yet.

I guess you're right about waiting a little longer. Thanks for the dose of rational thought!

That article definitely helped and he seems to understand the effectiveness much better and we also looked at diagrams again. He's quite fascinated with it now. He's the first Muslim I've dated (or have known really) and it seems from our long talk tonight that he grew up pretty conservative and BC isn't something he has a lot of knowledge about other than condoms. He has only had a few partners too so I think I'm just going to table this and try different condoms starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the awesome responses! Yinz are great folks. I feel a million times better about stuff now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

There are female condoms, which I've heard can be easier for some guys to deal with. But I don't know how safe it is to use them with an IUD and they can be a little unusual.

You could also try different materials, like polyurethane or lambskin condoms. The latter aren't great for protecting against STDs but it sounds like that's not a big concern here.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Has anyone ever skipped their period using the pill and then had like, full-on period bleeding later in the month? The last two times I've done it, I had spotting until my next period, which was manageable, but this time, I had nothing for a week, and then yesterday, all of a sudden there was ALL OF THE BLOOD (and accompanying period symptoms, cramps, etc), and it's not stopped since. I had a colposcopy done recently, and I'm wondering if it could have something to do with that? It just is weird!

The Blue L-Block
Oct 1, 2005
Tetris <3

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Has anyone ever skipped their period using the pill and then had like, full-on period bleeding later in the month? The last two times I've done it, I had spotting until my next period, which was manageable, but this time, I had nothing for a week, and then yesterday, all of a sudden there was ALL OF THE BLOOD (and accompanying period symptoms, cramps, etc), and it's not stopped since. I had a colposcopy done recently, and I'm wondering if it could have something to do with that? It just is weird!

I was on Seasonique for four or five years and towards the end of my time with it I was spotting all the goddamn time. Also turns out I had high risk HPV and abnormal pap which would often compound the issues. The colposcopy is probably bleeding because of the procedure itself and might be separate from the period bleeding.

I have had Mirena since October 2013 and loving it. How was your colposcopy? I'm likely facing a biopsy in April to check out my cells. :ohdear:

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

The Blue L-Block posted:

I was on Seasonique for four or five years and towards the end of my time with it I was spotting all the goddamn time. Also turns out I had high risk HPV and abnormal pap which would often compound the issues. The colposcopy is probably bleeding because of the procedure itself and might be separate from the period bleeding.

I have had Mirena since October 2013 and loving it. How was your colposcopy? I'm likely facing a biopsy in April to check out my cells. :ohdear:

Now that I am a couple of weeks out from the colpo, I can be like "oh it was totally nbd", but it actually really freaked me out. The actual part where they took the biopsy wasn't that bad, but I cried and almost passed out afterwards (both apparently totally normal) and the cramping/general vulval area pain sucked. Also, no one warned me that black discharge is a side effect, that scared the heck out of me the next day! My follow-up is actually on Thursday, so I'm hoping that my doctor will have good news for me. Mostly I'm looking forward to being able to take a bath, since that's on the post-biopsy no-no list.

Evelyn Nesbit fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 8, 2014

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My girlfriend went to see her doctor today to try to get a script for Mirena, but they talked her out of it and she's planning to get the Depo shot in a couple days.

She's upset that the doc wouldn't let her get the IUD (she's 22 and hasn't had a kid, so there's the whole rare-fertility-problems thing with Mirena), is there anything we can do or should we just bite the bullet and go with the shot?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
There's no reason she can't have a Mirena outside of her uterus not being big enough (but you won't know until it's measured). The risks for nulliparous women are on par with the risk of women who have had kids with IUDs. If that's what she wants, she needs to try to find a doc who will give it to her. Or even Skyla (even though it's just 3 years). Any doc who says a woman cannot have an IUD because of not having kids is operating on old info.

It took me a while to find a gyno who would, so I get the frustration. But I *knew* it was going to be the best BC for me.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Not a Children posted:

My girlfriend went to see her doctor today to try to get a script for Mirena, but they talked her out of it and she's planning to get the Depo shot in a couple days.

She's upset that the doc wouldn't let her get the IUD (she's 22 and hasn't had a kid, so there's the whole rare-fertility-problems thing with Mirena), is there anything we can do or should we just bite the bullet and go with the shot?

Where do you live? Pm me and I can try to help you find a provider.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Finding a different doctor is your best bet. The "women who haven't had kids can't get an IUD" thing is outdated and wrong. And I've never heard of any kind of fertility problems caused by an IUD other than defective models that are no longer on the market. Certainly not Mirena.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Thanks for the information, I thought something seemed a little fishy there. She might just get the shot on Wednesday because she's not the most patient person, but I'll talk to her about finding another doc tonight.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Like a month now on Nexplanon and so far no mood issues like I had with Nuvaring so yay!

They let me know that if I gained too much weight they couldn't guarantee its efficacy (I'm 5'6" and 165 so they were saying don't gain like 10 pounds.) kind of sad since weight gain is a common side effect apparently - does anyone know if it does work at higher BMIs? Wondering if it's a CYA thing or if the hormones really would peter out. Does muscle mass affect this thing? (Yep, I lift, bro.) man birth control brings out all my anxieties since the proof its working is life going on as it did before.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
From what I read, it's not that if you're over x# it's less effective overall, it's that if you're over x# it may run out sooner. For me, it prevents my period, so I wouldn't worry unless/until it came back. I'm 5'9", but the last time I saw 165 I was probably like 12.

e: oh and it didn't make me gain weight. I was losing when I got it and continued losing. And if you lift, you're aware enough of input/output that I wouldn't be super worried.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 23, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Nuvaring made me gain a lot of water weight so I'm more worried about that than gaining fat or whatever but I am no doctor so I don't know how all this interacts. Thanks for the tips though.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I also have lost about 15 pounds since getting my implant (and stopping the pill).

pomme
May 8, 2013
Thanks thread! I'm getting Mirena next Monday. I'm a bit nervous because I have expensive New Years plans, but I'm trying not to let the internet horror stories scare me off. My body has reacted well to all types of birth control, and I feel like it will to Mirena as well. A bit nervous about the pain as well. Overall, I think it will be worth it... However I'm posting this because my stomach is in my throat with anxiety over it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

pomme posted:

Thanks thread! I'm getting Mirena next Monday. I'm a bit nervous because I have expensive New Years plans, but I'm trying not to let the internet horror stories scare me off. My body has reacted well to all types of birth control, and I feel like it will to Mirena as well. A bit nervous about the pain as well. Overall, I think it will be worth it... However I'm posting this because my stomach is in my throat with anxiety over it.

It varies from person to person, but for me getting an IUD was just like two really strong menstrual cramps. And it was over in probably less than a minute. After that I had a few hours of cramps that basically just felt like my period and then that was it. Felt normal by the next day.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within
I have not had an IUD but I did have a biopsy of my uterus last year and when I hear other people's stories of getting the IUD placement, both experiences sound the same. I had some VERY STRONG cramps as they were taking the sample of the inside of my uterus, but they only lasted a second or two and - while I almost passed out because of it - it was over quick and I was just sore and mildly crampy for the rest of the day. For years of protection, the IUD certainly sounds like it's worth it and I'm a big baby when it comes to my cervix/uterus.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yes, even if it's bad it's usually over very quickly. My honest reaction was basically "Wow that's it?" because it was over in a matter of minutes.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Kimmalah posted:

Yes, even if it's bad it's usually over very quickly. My honest reaction was basically "Wow that's it?" because it was over in a matter of minutes.

Same here, I was so nervous reading people's horror stories, even understanding that people don't really share ehh to alright stories and share horror stories all the time, but it was weird as gently caress and crampy but I wouldn't describe it as particularly painful. More uncomfortable than anything. The worst part was she had to twist the IUD around inside my because something about my super small uterus and positioning, but even that was just more of a "whoa this poo poo is weird, nothing's ever been up there".

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

ilysespieces posted:

Same here, I was so nervous reading people's horror stories, even understanding that people don't really share ehh to alright stories and share horror stories all the time, but it was weird as gently caress and crampy but I wouldn't describe it as particularly painful. More uncomfortable than anything. The worst part was she had to twist the IUD around inside my because something about my super small uterus and positioning, but even that was just more of a "whoa this poo poo is weird, nothing's ever been up there".

I had pretty much the same experience. It wasn't a sharp stinging pain at all. It just felt weird and not nice. The sound wasn't too bad but my doctor had to use the tenaculum on me after. So while she was fiddling around with securing my cervix I almost lost my nerve waiting for the iud insertion itself. The insertion sucked but just for like 3 seconds. My paragard periods aren't even as terrible as I've read. The worst part is that it's up to 7 full days instead of 4 or 5.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I didn't even notice the tenaculum. My doctor just told me to cough really hard and I guess she got it on there in the process. :v:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kyashi posted:

I had pretty much the same experience. It wasn't a sharp stinging pain at all. It just felt weird and not nice. The sound wasn't too bad but my doctor had to use the tenaculum on me after. So while she was fiddling around with securing my cervix I almost lost my nerve waiting for the iud insertion itself. The insertion sucked but just for like 3 seconds. My paragard periods aren't even as terrible as I've read. The worst part is that it's up to 7 full days instead of 4 or 5.

Same! They're heavy (and slowly getting less so since my first couple where I made a big loving mess every month since I wasn't prepared/was so used to my Implanon periods that were like nothing at all) but not particularly painful or crampy. I am 100% in love with my Paragard and the discomfort for those few minutes and cramping that night/next day were well worth the pros, for me.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I'll be the alternate viewpoint here, I guess - I'm 34 and have never had children; when I got my Paragard earlier this year I nearly passed out from the pain. The period cramps were awful too, especially since I never got them before, and the super-heavy period is a bother.

But you know what? I would still totally recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Having the Paragard means one less thing to worry about and it means I have taken control of my own wonderfully child-free future.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.

Keska posted:

I'll be the alternate viewpoint here, I guess - I'm 34 and have never had children; when I got my Paragard earlier this year I nearly passed out from the pain. The period cramps were awful too, especially since I never got them before, and the super-heavy period is a bother.

But you know what? I would still totally recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Having the Paragard means one less thing to worry about and it means I have taken control of my own wonderfully child-free future.

The heavy period gets better after time. The cramping ceased to exist after 2 years for me and it seems like the average time frame for the IUD to settle is around the 1.5 yr mark.

Best decision I ever made and I wish I had done it sooner like in my early twenties (29 now). Love going raw.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It got better for me after about 6 months or so and that's what I've heard from most people. I'm close to two years now and periods are pretty much business as usual except for the occasional heavy day.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

It got better for me after about 6 months or so and that's what I've heard from most people. I'm close to two years now and periods are pretty much business as usual except for the occasional heavy day.

I'm at the 8 month mark, almost exactly, and after the first 4 it calmed down significantly. Besides my mood swings with Implanon, though, I've had really good luck with finding birth control that works for me.

I'm gonna be sad to take it out once my fiancé and I decide it's time to give our kitten a little sibling, but I'm positive I'll just get another one put right back in, it's 100% the bc method for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Um...Is it normal to have a slow-starting period with a Mirena? (As in, the first few days there was brownish spotting, but then it turned into a full on period.) I was just wondering if something came loose or something. :ohdear:

E: I've had the thing for about 5 months.

• Locked thread