Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Slo-Tek posted:

Model good behavior. Same as always. Sit your kids down, explain that you totally lost the plot, and that behavior isn't acceptable in adults either, and apologise. Same as you'd want your kids to do.

And make whatever rules are appropriate to make it so this doesn't happen again. I found it was well worth the couple hundred bucks to buy kids their own electronics that they are allowed to touch, so that mine can be untouchable. They are still 'my' electronics and they live on a high shelf except when they are expressly permitted, but they don't have my stuff on them, so if it gets screwed up, it is their problem rather than mine.

I have every sympathy though. I've had kids who were well up near the age of reason decide to delete my super-high-level many hours of life wasted game saves, in order to free up a 4th slot, because they like to play the first level again and again. That poo poo will make you lose your mind.

Instead of spending hundreds on electronics for the kids, put a pass code on your device?

Unrelated, it turns out that smart watches and infants don't mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Instead of spending hundreds on electronics for the kids, put a pass code on your device?

Unrelated, it turns out that smart watches and infants don't mix.

Passcodes don't fix everything - for example, even with parental controls enabled on the Kindle, there is nothing preventing a toddler from deleting an app off the Kindle, just from purchasing a new one.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Volmarias posted:

Some phones have a thing where if you fail to put in the passcode X times, it deletes everything off of the device. Because I have work e-mail on my phone, for instance, my work requires that I have that set up. It's not a failsafe.

It's something I'm paranoid about : when I'm sleeping and the phone is on my desk or the nightstand, our little one grabbing it and wiping it by accident.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You really gotta put that poo poo higher, lie on your chest of drawers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zonohedron posted:

Passcodes don't fix everything - for example, even with parental controls enabled on the Kindle, there is nothing preventing a toddler from deleting an app off the Kindle, just from purchasing a new one.

Well, I meant putting on an unlock code for turning the scre-

Axiem posted:

Some phones have a thing where if you fail to put in the passcode X times, it deletes everything off of the device. Because I have work e-mail on my phone, for instance, my work requires that I have that set up. It's not a failsafe.

It's something I'm paranoid about : when I'm sleeping and the phone is on my desk or the nightstand, our little one grabbing it and wiping it by accident.

:stare:

Your phone should have a grace and cooldown period, otherwise that's asking for a butt-dial wipe. A butt-wipe, if you will.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Axiem posted:

I have developed an odd habit where I have to fall asleep to Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Netflix. So I often load up an episode, fall asleep to it, Netflix eventually stops and my phone goes to sleep long after I already have. My kid didn't come into my bed until long after we were all asleep, and my phone has password protection on everything, which is why I was so shocked she was able to get to such a delicate place and do her damage. My guess is she just hosed around with my phone long enough to get my password and then went to town! Or my phone has the default where enough failed password tries and it resets, so I am all over that poo poo to find out if that's what I'm dealing with.

In the end, I really only lost some pictures and videos and it's partly my fault for leaving the phone in the reach of any of my kids. It's just one of those things you don't really think about until it happens, and then you kick yourself for letting it happen.

I didn't end up talking about it with the kids at all, it was a very busy day and part of my frustration was having to deal with that kind of bullshit when I have so little time for everything else. My oldest is 4 so I might bring it up with him tomorrow, but I kind of feel maybe too much time has passed. He's a sharp kid, though, so it's worth a conversation. The culprit is almost 2, and I told her tonight that she is not to play with my phone and I just have to be diligent about it. The youngest is 9 months and was asleep when I lost my cool, so for all he knew it was one of the kids having a tantrum. :smith:

Thanks for the advice, I feel a little better knowing there are other moms also dealing with this kind of stuff.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Volmarias posted:

Your phone should have a grace and cooldown period, otherwise that's asking for a butt-dial wipe. A butt-wipe, if you will.

I'm on an iPhone. To actually do this, I'd have to swipe over from the main screen, and then fail at tapping out a very simple four-digit passcode something like 10 times. And of course, once you put in the right passcode, it resets that counter.

So I'm not worried about hitting it accidentally. I'm mostly just worried about the kids getting their hands on it.

I regularly back up my phone to my computer, though, just in case.

VorpalBunny posted:

In the end, I really only lost some pictures and videos and it's partly my fault for leaving the phone in the reach of any of my kids. It's just one of those things you don't really think about until it happens, and then you kick yourself for letting it happen.

This is why I regularly back up my phone, and also whenever I plug my phone into my computer, all my photos get put in Dropbox (so my wife has access to them, also). Losing data sucks.

On another topic, are there any good recommendations on how to stay sane during the holidays when there's family everywhere and the kids are going crazy because of it?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Axiem posted:

On another topic, are there any good recommendations on how to stay sane during the holidays when there's family everywhere and the kids are going crazy because of it?

I recommend drinking heavily. Local grocery store has 1.75's of Smirnoff for $16.99. :j:

A more serious answer is, don't overschedule yourself; first and foremost. The family you owe the most to over the holidays is your own household. Period. All other family will have to take turns, or have another day, or whatever. Any familial guilt or repercussions are all their problem and not your fault. Never feel guilty about keeping your scheduling sane. We did it after Baby's First Christmas, and never looked back. Everyone [and "everyone" is a lot of people for us] has gotten used to dealing with it, and we've even inspired some cousins to take up the cause and do the same for themselves and their families. Besides, if the kids are crazy because they're on their third visit of the day, that family isn't getting a quality visit anyway, so why go through the misery?

That being said, also pick your battles. I figure, anytime I can make a situation go more smoothly by my being gracious, I do it. If I'm the only one who has to suck it up, by that I mean the kids aren't negatively impacted, then that's not a battle I'll ever pick.

And a reasonable amount of vodka doesn't hurt either. ;)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We have 4 places to go in the Christmas season. We make what we can make and don't worry about the rest. Most of the people throwing/hosting do it on a weekend day in December that the vast majority of family can make it to. One side of my husband's family will only do it on Christmas Eve. Starting next year, we decided Christmas Eve will be spent with us at home and not traveling (we live 130+ miles from all our family). I'm sure that will go over like a lead balloon but oh well. We want to do our own Christmas thing as our own family and not have to drive 2+ hours each way on lovely roads.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm somewhat surprised if iPhones don't have their profile and contacts, purchases, etc backed up in the cloud and tied to your Apple ID.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Axiem posted:

Stand firm on schedules. If naptime is at 2, you are either in a quiet place where naps will happen, or at home. Don't let anyone try and pull the "oh, we're only out here this one time" thing. They can wait so you/kids don't have a meltdown. We also currently have a bag of duplo blocks, books, and a toy stroller in the trunk of our car for our 3 year old to play with at Grandpa's house because his toys suck and he gets grumpy if she starts jumping into his swanky 70's step-down den.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're standing firm on our policy of Christmas is at our house, any family can come , we're not traveling anywhere. Its causing some issues with my husband's parents. My family has no issue driving the 600 miles to be around for Christmas. His family only lives 4 hours away, but they don't want to share Christmas and want to have their own Christmas. We keep iterating that anyone is welcome at our house, we're not turning anyone away or telling them they can't come. So they're not coming I guess. Its their loss.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

We're standing firm on our policy of Christmas is at our house, any family can come , we're not traveling anywhere. Its causing some issues with my husband's parents. My family has no issue driving the 600 miles to be around for Christmas. His family only lives 4 hours away, but they don't want to share Christmas and want to have their own Christmas. We keep iterating that anyone is welcome at our house, we're not turning anyone away or telling them they can't come. So they're not coming I guess. Its their loss.

Just curious, and I hope you don't take this judgmentally, do you or your spouse have any siblings with children? If so, how do you justify getting to be the family that doesn't have to travel? I ask because my wife has 2 sisters, both with toddlers like us, and we all go to her parents. I'd love to not have to drive 2 hours (her one sister also drives 2 hours from the other direction) I adore my in-laws, it is just exhausting and after 2 days or so the kids are all sick of each other and want some space.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have a brother that is an adult and lives with my parents so he comes down with them. He's the proverbial goon and lives in their basement with no job or love life and is never going to have kids. My husband's sister is only about 2 hours away and is never having kids. She comes and visits all the time so its nice!

I think our family might be a special case. His parents are raging alcoholics and they know they can't drink at our house. They didn't come see him when he was born until he was 6 months old.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Alterian posted:

I have a brother that is an adult and lives with my parents so he comes down with them. He's the proverbial goon and lives in their basement with no job or love life and is never going to have kids. My husband's sister is only about 2 hours away and is never having kids. She comes and visits all the time so its nice!

I think our family might be a special case. His parents are raging alcoholics and they know they can't drink at our house. They didn't come see him when he was born until he was 6 months old.

Eep. Thanks for answering. Hope you have a happy holiday. :)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Phewwwwwww I am in the midst of some massive 18 month sleep regression/nap strike madness. I was sick for over a week with a bad cold, which made my period super late due to stress/sickness, so I had the cold with fever of 101+, cramps, and a migraine for a week with a child who now will not sleep after 18 months of (mostly) decent sleep. Plus I'm dealing with a new PTSD diagnosis and the psych stuff from that. I haven't been able tp get more than a few hours sleep at night so I'm still dealing with the dregs of this sickness and oh God.

I in no way mean to diminish the experience of parents who have high needs/special needs children but I sometimes feel like since my son has been so "easy" it can be harder on me at times because I haven't built up the strength to deal? Does that make sense? I'm a single parent, I have a routine, day to day, and when poo poo goes wrong I'm like WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS MADNESS WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT? whereas most other parents are like "oh, right, yeah, about time for poo poo to go crazy".

Just venting, we'll get through it, but solidarity to the sleepless.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

VorpalBunny posted:

I know my daughter is probably too young to really understand what she did, so I don't plan to punish her or anything. I just feel bad I acted like an idiot in front of my kids. Do I let it go, or do I sit them down to apologize? I've calmed down from a few hours ago, so do I just let it go? What do you guys do when you lose your temper in front of the kids over something like this?

I would apologize and explain that sometimes people lose their temper but it isn't appropriate behavior for anyone, including adults.

And by "would" I might mean "have, more than once." :blush:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sudont posted:

Phewwwwwww I am in the midst of some massive 18 month sleep regression/nap strike madness. I was sick for over a week with a bad cold, which made my period super late due to stress/sickness, so I had the cold with fever of 101+, cramps, and a migraine for a week with a child who now will not sleep after 18 months of (mostly) decent sleep. Plus I'm dealing with a new PTSD diagnosis and the psych stuff from that. I haven't been able tp get more than a few hours sleep at night so I'm still dealing with the dregs of this sickness and oh God.

I in no way mean to diminish the experience of parents who have high needs/special needs children but I sometimes feel like since my son has been so "easy" it can be harder on me at times because I haven't built up the strength to deal? Does that make sense? I'm a single parent, I have a routine, day to day, and when poo poo goes wrong I'm like WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS MADNESS WHAT IS GOING ON WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS NEW DEVELOPMENT? whereas most other parents are like "oh, right, yeah, about time for poo poo to go crazy".

Just venting, we'll get through it, but solidarity to the sleepless.

We just hit the four month sleep regression and both of us are sick. Feel your pain!

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
My little dude is also in the midst of the four-month regression and he's teething. We're going to my parents' for Christmas and I have no idea how he's going to sleep in a strange place. At least there will be plenty of laps for him to nap on, since he still won't nap alone! Solidarity.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
To prevent the loss of photos/videos, you might consider setting up a dropbox or whatever to automatically upload all those pics and vids. You can set it to private so no one else can see them but now you're covered when you get your phone wiped by your kids.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I know this has been linked several times in the thread, but I can't seem to find it again. What's a good way to make sure a child seat is installed correctly? My town's official policy summarizes too "figure it out, it comes with instructions for a reason, don't bother us with your problems".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

I know this has been linked several times in the thread, but I can't seem to find it again. What's a good way to make sure a child seat is installed correctly? My town's official policy summarizes too "figure it out, it comes with instructions for a reason, don't bother us with your problems".

Find a better town.

Seriously though, if you'd like an inspection, your state police may be able to help you out. Call the county sheriff too, see if they can recommend anything.

If you have a hospital with a good maternity ward nearby, they might also be able to suggest something. We couldn't get discharged unless the nurse verified that we had a car seat installed for the new baby.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
You could look around, too. My city doesn't offer a free car seat clinic but the fire department in a nearby town does and they didn't mind us coming at all.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

What kind of trouble are you having installing it?

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

GlyphGryph posted:

Go here & see what comes up: http://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/index.htm

The best way is to get a certified seat inspector to check out your install. This will point you in the right direction.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

What kind of trouble are you having installing it?

I'm pretty sure from my recollection of this thread that photomikey's attitude is "whatever, any idiot can install a car seat, if it fits it's fine" so maybe keep that in mind before taking advice here.

My local police did inspections, I was lucky. Super easy.

Edit: I just did a quick "posts in this thread" check and I believe I have you confused with someone else? I apologize if so.

sudont fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 24, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, you don't have him confused.

Glyphgryph, you can also find a car seat tech that can help here:
http://cert.safekids.org

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

sudont posted:

I'm pretty sure from my recollection of this thread that photomikey's attitude is "whatever, any idiot can install a car seat, if it fits it's fine" so maybe keep that in mind before taking advice here.

My local police did inspections, I was lucky. Super easy.

Edit: I just did a quick "posts in this thread" check and I believe I have you confused with someone else? I apologize if so.
Yes, basically, my stance is that installing a car seat is something that the layperson can do in a few minutes time.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Volmarias posted:

Find a better town.

Seriously though, if you'd like an inspection, your state police may be able to help you out. Call the county sheriff too, see if they can recommend anything.

If you have a hospital with a good maternity ward nearby, they might also be able to suggest something. We couldn't get discharged unless the nurse verified that we had a car seat installed for the new baby.

Weird! What if you don't have a car / use public transportation? "Sorry, you can't leave, not allowed to take your newborn on the train." ?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

EVG posted:

Weird! What if you don't have a car / use public transportation? "Sorry, you can't leave, not allowed to take your newborn on the train." ?

You don't need a car seat for a train or bus(the carrier portion is recommended, and I doubt you'd want to carry a newborn in your arms the whole way). I imagine if you told them that's how you were getting home they'd just make sure you secured the newborn in the carrier.

Although who gives birth at a hospital and then takes a train home with their newborn? Is that a thing people do? I guess some people don't have cars... Still seems strange to me though.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have a friend who was car-less and lived in downtown Chicago; the hospital (which I guess means the city or state?) told him that he had to rent a car and put the car seat in that before he could take his newborn home!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have a friend who was car-less and lived in downtown Chicago; the hospital (which I guess means the city or state?) told him that he had to rent a car and put the car seat in that before he could take his newborn home!

Hah! I am car-less and live in Chicago. :) Is why I asked! I would be PISSED if they told me that I needed to pay to rent a car, let alone buy a car seat, to walk out with MY infant. I doubt they could legally require it.

With that said, I'd sure I'd just DO it if it actually came up, but it doesn't seem like they should be able to make you.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Molybdenum posted:

To prevent the loss of photos/videos, you might consider setting up a dropbox or whatever to automatically upload all those pics and vids. You can set it to private so no one else can see them but now you're covered when you get your phone wiped by your kids.

So they wipe dropbox? ;)

Thread question: How do you sort out jaundice for newborns? Midwife said baby may have a little and today is her third day; wife just started getting her milk last night. We never really got to check in normal light until today and baby is slightly yellow...is there some good reference/comparison out there? No fever either.

We're taking her to the pediatrics tomorrow for checkup anyway, but just curious as to getting better info than when I googled about it..

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So they wipe dropbox? ;)

Thread question: How do you sort out jaundice for newborns? Midwife said baby may have a little and today is her third day; wife just started getting her milk last night. We never really got to check in normal light until today and baby is slightly yellow...is there some good reference/comparison out there? No fever either.

We're taking her to the pediatrics tomorrow for checkup anyway, but just curious as to getting better info than when I googled about it..

Sunlight and lots and lots of nursing. They'll probably want to do a heel stick to check bilirubin levels and proceed from there.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EVG posted:

Hah! I am car-less and live in Chicago. :) Is why I asked! I would be PISSED if they told me that I needed to pay to rent a car, let alone buy a car seat, to walk out with MY infant. I doubt they could legally require it.

With that said, I'd sure I'd just DO it if it actually came up, but it doesn't seem like they should be able to make you.

You could always ask the hospital ahead of time.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So they wipe dropbox? ;)

A little natural light and hydration (normal milk consumption) will clear a mild case right up. :) In a few days, Baby will be right as rain.

Merry Christmas folks!

Christmas Day will always be, just so long as we, have we.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe

photomikey posted:

Yes, basically, my stance is that installing a car seat is something that the layperson can do in a few minutes time.

Right, so disregard any car seat advice from this user is my advice.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thanks guys. Found a place to get it checked a town over.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011
So Grandparents eh?

I have a three year old daughter, and ever since she was born, my parents (and by extension my brother and sister) have been a nightmare. The problem is my mum and fiancee do not get on, and generally my mums advice for parenting is 25 years behind the times, so sensibly my fiancee ignores it.

This year our relationship has got progressively worse, because whatever we say generally gets ignored. This hasnt really been a massive issue until about 6 weeks ago, but the straw that broke the camels back so to speak was my mother giving my daughter 4 items of junk food (sweets, chocolate etc) in the space of three hours (this was just before dinner time as well) then dropping her back off at ours like nothing was wrong. We kinda messed up by not talking to her face to face, but in the past its resulted in a falling out, so my fiancee sent her a facebook message basically asking her not do this, and also mentioning a couple of other things (like the fact that I'm positive someone in the house is smoking near or around my daughter when we aren't around, and the general fact that the house constantly smells like an ashtray)

Holy hell this didn't go down very well. I basically got a phonecall saying if that was what we wanted then my mum wouldn't have her at her house, and that my fiancee wasn't welcome in her house anymore. There's been little to no communication since then, because what communication there has been is all around trying to get me to go against my fiancee and discuss things without her being involved. I'm understandably furious at this, and I've said no more, if thats how they want to play it then i'll cut all ties. Since then it's been both my birthday, my daughters, and Christmas, and all I've had is a birthday and Christmas card shoved through the front door. There was an attempt at contact yesterday, from my sister, who wanted me on Christmas day to travel to them (just me and my daughter) to see them.

To say its been hard is a bit of an understatement, but in all honesty, the whole reason i'm doing it is because I've realised that my Daughter is more important than them. It sounds awful, but i'm not asking for anything ridiculous and for them (or more specifically my mother) to react the way they have is just not on. I think part of it is also that we've done our own Christmas for the past couple of years, because I don't believe it's fair to make children unwrap a load of presents then say "Sorry kids cant play with them, because we've now got to go out for the rest of the day!" and my mother really doesn't like that. The best part of this is every year we've said that anyone is welcome to come round on Christmas day and in three years they've done it once (and they only live half an hour away).

Well rant over I suppose. Back to trying to make my "little angel" nap :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
You're making the right call. Unless your fiancée is abusive to you or your kid or has other serious issues, your spouse (future spouse) and kid need to come first. The fact they are trying to drive a wedge between you is super lovely.