Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Away all Goats posted:

In Avengers when Agent coulson is explaining to Cap how Bruce Banner is a really smart guy he calls him a 'Stephen Hawking', which of course Cap has no idea who that is. Coulson just calls him a really smart person, instead of bringing up that other (arguably even more) famous smart person.

Yeah, that bugged the crap outta me too. It was just too forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerg
Oct 17, 2012
accidental phone post, sorry about that.

jerg has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Dec 30, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This irritates me. Irrational? I'm not sure.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
I've b een mainlining Bones on Netflix lately and they did an episode where the murderer turned out to be some random dude we'd not even met before in the episode. That was nice. As is the fact people often go 'GET A WARRANT' and they usually do go get a warrant.

As for irrational irritants, though -

Bones' go to karaoke song is apparently Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. About a series after learning this, Cyndi Lauper shows up in a guest role as a psychic. So who the gently caress sings Girls Just Wanna Have Fun in the Bones universe?!

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

theironjef posted:

Arnim Zola? Howard Stark?

Albert Einstein

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

NorgLyle posted:

It was the season finale of season 8. And by that time I hated pretty much every character on that show who wasn't John Munch so I was praying that they'd actually follow through on the ending where they all seemed to be screwed. But of course they didn't. Luckily, however, that led to season nine's "Avatar"; the funniest episode of television ever produced. SVU is the worst.

I had to double-check that this is the one i was thinking of, and yup...that one was absurd.

It starts with a guy raping his girlfriend's sister (who they lives with,) but then it totally wasn't his fault because he suffers from sleep-sexing...like sleepwalking, but...well, you know. That's just the cold open, cause the actual mystery is totally unrelated; the guy's girlfriend is just randomly missing, and kidnapped by a guy because her avatar in their Second Life knock-off looked like some girl he kidnapped like 20 years ago.

Like...WTF was the reason for that cold open? And for some reason, even though when they found the girl in a storage unit OWNED by the guy that kidnapped her, and she SAID he kidnapped and raped her, he couldn't be arrested right away? So they had to find some cabin he owned, which OBVIOUSLY he also made a copy of in Second Life, to find this girl he kidnapped who's now old and crazy because she thinks he went out for coffee and is coming back anytime now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had to double-check that this is the one i was thinking of, and yup...that one was absurd.

It starts with a guy raping his girlfriend's sister (who they lives with,) but then it totally wasn't his fault because he suffers from sleep-sexing...like sleepwalking, but...well, you know. That's just the cold open, cause the actual mystery is totally unrelated; the guy's girlfriend is just randomly missing, and kidnapped by a guy because her avatar in their Second Life knock-off looked like some girl he kidnapped like 20 years ago.

Like...WTF was the reason for that cold open? And for some reason, even though when they found the girl in a storage unit OWNED by the guy that kidnapped her, and she SAID he kidnapped and raped her, he couldn't be arrested right away? So they had to find some cabin he owned, which OBVIOUSLY he also made a copy of in Second Life, to find this girl he kidnapped who's now old and crazy because she thinks he went out for coffee and is coming back anytime now.

A million rapes were not enough for Huang.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrBouvenstein posted:

And for some reason, even though when they found the girl in a storage unit OWNED by the guy that kidnapped her, and she SAID he kidnapped and raped her, he couldn't be arrested right away?

This led to Stabler shadowing him as he was about to leave the country, and then arresting him for walking across the street when he wasn't supposed to or something to keep him there. I mean I don't feel sorry for the guy like some of the other people the SVU detectives have terrorized, but legally, that's bullshit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminder that Law And Order SVU is the tv show that has the line "I dug a little deeper and found computer code hidden in a pixel."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1sJucWobCw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Reminder that Law And Order SVU is the tv show that has the line "I dug a little deeper and found computer code hidden in a pixel."

That's pretty bad television computer-mansplaining but you can do a lot of crazy poo poo with steganography. I think it's everdraed here that often puts an mp3 into his images. Some people even manage to cram poo poo into their custom titles.

Pixels of course, do not work that way, but it was a near miss.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CJacobs posted:

In more TV-show related news, I've been watching Shark Tank (the american version of Dragon's Den) and I have a weird one: the show does not vary up its music very much, and after watching a season or so of it I have noticed that they play the same music for every different thing that happens during the entrepreneur's presentation. Ever since noticing this, I cannot STOP noticing it, and because of the show using the same musical cues I can now instantly tell if the person is going to get a deal or not by what music the show plays when they walk in or while they're negotiating. Gooooood drat it.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Ever since noticing this, I cannot STOP noticing it

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

CJacobs posted:

A thousand pictures of... BELLY BUTTONS. OH GOD THE PERVERT!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

syscall girl posted:

That's pretty bad television computer-mansplaining but you can do a lot of crazy poo poo with steganography. I think it's everdraed here that often puts an mp3 into his images. Some people even manage to cram poo poo into their custom titles.

Pixels of course, do not work that way, but it was a near miss.

At least it's not NCIS, which has this entire scene happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

I am certain I've posted this before but man. Man.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Everything I've seen of NCIS looks like a parody.
It is, right?

...right?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inzombiac posted:

It is, right?

...right?

Nope.

Nope.

This is parody though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbCWYm7B_B4

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostradingus posted:

My irrational movie irritation is when people take the word of their funny review mans as gospel. I can't have a decent conversation about the Star Wars prequels (lol) without someone bringing up Red Letter Media's unfunny garbage "review" or, worse, just quoting it outright.

RLM is better as entertainment than as legit criticism but they're far funnier than anything you've ever posted.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Which one had the cyber-cops chase a criminal down in a digital world, tackle him and this somehow makes him give up and start talking, instead of just logging out?

Was this also the episode where someone had the high scores in all the MMOs?

I've only seen this thing in parts from various crimes against technology in writing, but I could probably give a reasonably accurate description of the plot at this point.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Yeah, that bugged the crap outta me too. It was just too forced.

How long as Einstein been a household name? I mean he'd been famous for decades in scientific communities, sure, but I do not personally know when he became a name that everyone instantly recognizes and holds up as the definition of smart guy. Coulson (and the writers) may have just wanted to avoid guessing that altogether.

edit: according to the "Jewish Virtual Library," the answer to my question is 1919.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Dec 24, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Inzombiac posted:

It is, right?

...right?

All cop shows kind of are self-parodies, right? Most TV dramas are. they're not really about whatever they're "about", cop dramas aren't giving you any insight into what police work is like, they're about setting up a context for the normal-style dramatic happenings that TV audiences just can't get enough of. So whenever these shows are trying to be funny or self-referential, it's always from some kind of ironic distance that points to the whole thing being a fruity, absurd, yet extremely regular type of spectacle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lotish posted:

How long as Einstein been a household name? I mean he'd been famous for decades in scientific communities, sure, but I do not personally know when he became a name that everyone instantly recognizes and holds up as the definition of smart guy. Coulson (and the writers) may have just wanted to avoid guessing that altogether.

edit: according to the "Jewish Virtual Library," the answer to my question is 1919.

He was big enough in world recognition in the early 30s to be spending most of his time turning down invitations to galas and stuff during a tour of the US. Not only would Cap know who he was, I think he was actually name-dropped in the first movie.

That said the Marvel Einstein has to share real estate with Marvel heroes in terms of the smartness pantheon. Is he smarter than Tony Stark? How about Howard Stark? At least thanks to movie rights issues we know he's smarter than a nonexistent Reed Richards.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

swamp waste posted:

All cop shows kind of are self-parodies, right?

The Wire wasn't.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

COPS wasn't.

E: Maybe the episode where the redneck was hucking throwing stars at riot police, because that was too beautiful a situation for this world

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Babe Magnet posted:

COPS wasn't.

E: Maybe the episode where the redneck was hucking throwing stars at riot police, because that was too beautiful a situation for this world

The black midget shimmying up the lamp post on the Vegas strip is still the best, you can't write that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Man, COPS was the best.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Babe Magnet posted:

Man, COPS was the best.

still is, baby, still is...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a really stupid SVU moment today, Munch and Finn were trying to keep an eye on a guy at some amusement park and the guy ducks into a spookhouse ride. Instead of just waiting outside for some reason they get on too. Unsurprisingly they lose him.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Elfface posted:

Which one had the cyber-cops chase a criminal down in a digital world, tackle him and this somehow makes him give up and start talking, instead of just logging out?

Was this also the episode where someone had the high scores in all the MMOs?

First one was definitely CSI: New York. I think the second was NCIS again but I'm not 100%

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's really god drat hard to find the CSI New York Second Life cyberchase (the episode is called Down the Rabbit Hole); at some point they must have realized that it's mother loving ridiculous, so they've tried really really hard to scrub it from the internet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The best is the CSI: Miami episode where GTA causes people to rob banks and attempt mid-robbery rapes. For bonus points.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best is the CSI: Miami episode where GTA causes people to rob banks and attempt mid-robbery rapes. For bonus points.

There's a brief story arc in "Luther" where two twins compete with each other at killing people and causing chaos and award themselves points on who they kill and how they kill them. When Idris Elba finally confronts one of them he introduces himself as "The final boss"

Luther is a good show but that was some stupid poo poo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's really god drat hard to find the CSI New York Second Life cyberchase (the episode is called Down the Rabbit Hole); at some point they must have realized that it's mother loving ridiculous, so they've tried really really hard to scrub it from the internet.

Ah, dammit, you're right, I went to the Cracked article that had all this stuff and the video they linked was removed for :airquote:copyright purposes:airquote:

As a consolation prize, have this even stupider scene from the same show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this? posted:

Saw a really stupid SVU moment today, Munch and Finn were trying to keep an eye on a guy at some amusement park and the guy ducks into a spookhouse ride. Instead of just waiting outside for some reason they get on too. Unsurprisingly they lose him.

Oh man, that episode is one of the best SVU episodes, so long as we're describing "best" as "rear end-craziest."

There were a few episodes that season where some crime scene tech, Stuccy, kept loving things up. Including this episode. Some schizophrenic snapped and was killing people he thought were involved in some government conspiracy to kill/silence him. But he gets off because Stuccy contaminated some evidence.

They follow the perp to Coney Island, and we get that ridiculous scene in the fun house, then another body, with Stuccy all proud that he got a good piece of evidence and didn't mess it up.

Eventually, the perp goes crazier and sets up traps to murder the SVU crew, his lawyer and a judge. The lawyer dies, the judge survives. They find a mosquito in the judge's car with blood that HAS to be from the perp. Munch even meets up with an old ex-wife of his who is super-bonkers and he basically emotionally manipulates her hardcore to get some info on the perp. Finn made some comment about how cold it was.

At the end of the episode, we are in the crime lab, and

The crime scene tech that has been in a lot of episodes is dead from a stab would, because we see on the computer screen that the blood in the mosquito belongs to Stuccy, because (as he explains to Stabler,) he was sick of people not taking him seriously so he killed some people to frame the perp. He only gets caught because Olivia calls Stabler, Stuccy answers and is all "Oh, Stabler's in the bathroom, and we eating sushi!" and Olivia knows Stabler would NEVER eat Sushi. She then pulls out the old cliched "Oh, Stuccy, you're right, let's kill Stabler, I love you, give me the knife!" BS and it works and Stuccy gets killed.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Saw an episode the other day where they get witnesses by beating the neighborhood toughs at handball, not to mention the absurdity of a crime scene technician talking to witnesses and suspects.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swamp waste posted:

All cop shows kind of are self-parodies, right?
Reno 911 isn't serious?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

DrBouvenstein posted:

You didn't mention either the part where they have to arm twist the Second Life executive into "turning on the sun" at Second Life midnight so that they can match the shadows to aerial photographs of the real cabin or whatever evidence they had on hand to find him. Or the greatest exchange in television history where the SVU team is at the NYPD call center phone bank fielding tips from random callers about the missing girl when Detective Chester Lake beckons over Cragen, Benson and Stabler with a dramatic "I think we got something!"

He presses the speakerphone button, instructs the caller to tell the Captain exactly what she told him and the next line, I swear I'm not kidding about this, is:

"I think she's in another universe."

Then the scene cuts.

We learn in the following scene that what she actually said was Another Youniverse, the SVU-verse equivalent of Second Life but that moment and that scene cut will never not crack me up. Just because I like to imagine Cragen pausing, hanging up the phone and then telling Lake to clean out his desk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coffee And Pie posted:

No, that would be the episode of Misfits where a guy has a psychotic break and believes real life is a game of GTA, including first-person perspective shots showing him hallucinating the game's UI.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Jedit posted:

No, that would be the episode of Misfits where a guy has a psychotic break and believes real life is a game of GTA, including first-person perspective shots showing him hallucinating the game's UI.

No, that would be Dave Chappelle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIiaMYtIkeI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

thespaceinvader posted:

My favourite one was the season finale of one of the CSI Miami seasons in which Horatio goes to Brazil and shoots the criminal gang that killed his wife (or was it wife-to-be? I forget. Either way she had cancer so it was sad), without any sort of warrant, co-operation from the authorities or real moral justification, then makes a quip and puts on his sunglasses. It's like 'we're supposed to trust anything this man says about the law ever again when he's just been shown committing cold-blooded premeditated murder on foreign soil and getting away with it?"'.

Or where Innocent Guy is framed for a crime, and in the course of clearing his name he commits a whole shitload of actual crimes, and then at the end of the movie he proves he was framed for the one crime he didn't commit and he gets to go home. See _Shooter_, for example, where Marky Mark assaults a bunch of cops, wrecks a bunch of poo poo, and kills soldiers but then he gets to go home because he proves he didn't assassinate the guy he was wanted for assassinating in the first place.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I guess I get how you could interpret it different ways, but man, come on: he destroys his last means of survival, falls in the water and gives up, ready to die. Then, to his left, there's a bright white light, and to his right, a ring of fire. He's pulled toward the white light and ascends into it, and there's a fade to white before the credits roll.

To me, there's absolutely no ambiguity. It's perfectly clear what the director had in mind!

Late reply here but it seemed pretty obvious to me that he was rescued, which I found pretty refreshing since I was totally sure he would die given the title of the movie. I didn't even consider anything else until I read this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phanatic posted:

Or where Innocent Guy is framed for a crime, and in the course of clearing his name he commits a whole shitload of actual crimes, and then at the end of the movie he proves he was framed for the one crime he didn't commit and he gets to go home. See _Shooter_, for example, where Marky Mark assaults a bunch of cops, wrecks a bunch of poo poo, and kills soldiers but then he gets to go home because he proves he didn't assassinate the guy he was wanted for assassinating in the first place.

Isn't that how it works? If you prove you're innocent of one crime, you're innocent of all crimes. That's just logic!