Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

scarycave posted:

NV doesn't have Butcher Pete.
Fo3 doesn't have spurs that jingle jangle jingle.

A big iron on his hip > hackin and whackin and smackin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012
NV is certainly better written, and I won't argue that it's not the better game, but I still enjoy FO3 more. I like the exploration and the setting of 3. The Mohave felt very empty and frustrating to wander around in because as others have mentioned it tends to either make the "wrong" path inaccessible or just drops deathclaws/cazadores in your path.

That said 3 has a lot of problems.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The actual story of NV is incredibly short. Its a revenge storywhere you get your anticlimatic revenge about a quarter of the way through the games actual runtime. Fallout 3s story is cliche as hell, but at least they remembered to make it last the whole game. Once you have your revenge I had zero motivation to give the shithole city of new vegas to any of the shitlord factions who wanted it. The "Its all shades of gray!" thing falls flat because its southpark-esque "The truth is somewhere in the middle, maybe everyone is as bad as each other!" only realy works in the game if the player believes that slave owning and literal rape is as bad as being an inefficient bureaucrat.

Walton Simons posted:

Next you'll be telling me that Revengeance isn't a true Metal Gear game.

Nope, its got metal gear right there in the name, put out under license from the owners of the metal gear IP, so it is by definition a metal gear game, that is exactly my point. I'm not the one that is claiming anything isnt a "true" fallout game. Fallout New Vegas is a fallout game. Its just not fallout 3. Because you see there is already a fallout 3, it was the one before new vegas, which was called "fallout 3". For the record, Fallout Tactics and Fallout Brotherhood of Steel are also "true" fallout games, they just arent good ones. And again, I enjoyed NV, I just liked 3 more.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I find this hard to accept given how terrible and full of invisible walls the southeast corner of Fallout 3's map was. New Vegas just has a problem of filling the game with deadly and obnoxious enemies to discourage exploration, but the map is definitely better.

At least 3 only had invisible walls in that corner of the map, NV had a mapwide infestation of them. Plus does it count as a good map if you arent allowed to explore it until you have reached the secret level boundary? I think technically NV is bigger, but for me 3 FEELS bigger because it has a much wider variety of locations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SiKboy posted:

The actual story of NV is incredibly short. Its a revenge storywhere you get your anticlimatic revenge about a quarter of the way through the games actual runtime. Fallout 3s story is cliche as hell, but at least they remembered to make it last the whole game. Once you have your revenge I had zero motivation to give the shithole city of new vegas to any of the shitlord factions who wanted it. The "Its all shades of gray!" thing falls flat because its southpark-esque "The truth is somewhere in the middle, maybe everyone is as bad as each other!" only realy works in the game if the player believes that slave owning and literal rape is as bad as being an inefficient bureaucrat.

Lol if we can count a game's story ending when you lose interest I guess my copy of 3 shipped with no story at all

Double lol if you thought the game where your first run in with a faction is after they wiped out a major settlement's population presented that faction as morally gray

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heavy Lobster posted:

Double lol if you thought the game where your first run in with a faction is after they wiped out a major settlement's population presented that faction as morally gray

You didnt ever read the SA NV thread did you? I've had this arguement a lot and "shades of gray!" is an inevitable defence of NVs crappy factions.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Masiakasaurus posted:

NV is certainly better written, and I won't argue that it's not the better game, but I still enjoy FO3 more. I like the exploration and the setting of 3. The Mohave felt very empty and frustrating to wander around in because as others have mentioned it tends to either make the "wrong" path inaccessible or just drops deathclaws/cazadores in your path.

That's pretty much my take on it too. City Ruins > rocks and sand and cliffs you get stuck in every five seconds.
Also I didn't find the quests as glitchy in Fo3.

I really don't mind the cazadors or deathclaws too much though. It's probably the closest thing these games have in common with the original series aside from the VATS system.
My first experience with FO1 was getting out of the cave, and getting murdered by a fuckton of scorpions. And then getting murdered by a fuckton of people.
Game was not shy about handing your own rear end to you if you tried to go loving around on the map unprepared.

Walton Simons posted:

FO3 doesn't have F.I.S.T.O.

F.I.S.T.O. is hands down the greatest character in the FO universe.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Something they never tell you in the modern Fallout games: Press E to drink water. Hold E to continuely drink water

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Something they never tell you in the modern Fallout games: Press E to drink water. Hold E to continuely drink water

Wow. That would have been really useful compared to bobbing back and forth out of the toilet like a drinking bird toy.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wait really? Huh.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SiKboy posted:

You didnt ever read the SA NV thread did you? I've had this arguement a lot and "shades of gray!" is an inevitable defence of NVs crappy factions.

I especially liked the part where the goon NPCs did this. It's not very often that a game really incorporates completely secondary, post-production audience discussions into its own portrayal of its subject matter.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

At least most of Ulysses' speeches are played over the speakers or are recordings so they're just playing in the background as you do things. Old World Blues opens with a huge expository cutscene followed by a massive unskippable conversation with 5 different characters at the same time, even if you like the humor it brings the game to a screeching halt and is hugely awkward and obtuse in a game that's usually pretty good about telling the story through gameplay and environment.

True, it's mostly just that I really really hate Ulysses. :haw:

Masiakasaurus posted:

That's basically my take on it. I really like exploring the whole "urban ruins" thing more than the Mojave, that basically looks the same as the real not-ruined Mojave except with mutants? But even though I personally enjoy it more, I'm not going to argue that 3 is a better game because it isn't.

I think I just have a soft spot for bad games because even now I still enjoy playing Oblivion.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
7 Days to Die. Probably the best zombie survival early alpha crafting sandbox, but goddamn is it difficult. There's dog enemies. They're basically impossible to kill with anything but a headshot, and they deal so much damage to you that even full armor and health won't keep you up for long. These spawn a lot in the cities.

Additionally it has a bizarre and frustrating health system. Everytime you die, eat bad food or similar, you lose max hp and stamina. It takes ages to build the max health back up and can only be done with antibiotics (which you'll never find) and venison stew, which restores it one point at a time and can't be eaten if you're full. It restores one point of health, and you lose ten by dying. You also need to farm ingredients for the stew. When you have like 10% of normal hitpoints, you die a lot more easily, which effectively resets the process. I'm tempted to just mod the game to do away with this stupidity, isn't loosing my inventory enough punishment, game? ISN'T IT?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I appreciate how New Vegas supports different character builds much better than FO3 but the latter is a much better action game. The thing that drags New Vegas down for me is the poo poo ton of quests where you just ping pong between NPC's and do nothing else of interest. One of the worst offenders is the quest G.I. Blues which has you go back and forth between characters in a giant empty environment that is sectioned off by loading screens. To do the quest "correctly" you have to go find even more NPC's to talk to. It's kind of interesting for exactly one play through since you're going around and investigating stuff, but on subsequent runs the amount of time you waste walking and looking at load screens really stands out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I appreciate how New Vegas supports different character builds much better than FO3 but the latter is a much better action game. The thing that drags New Vegas down for me is the poo poo ton of quests where you just ping pong between NPC's and do nothing else of interest. One of the worst offenders is the quest G.I. Blues which has you go back and forth between characters in a giant empty environment that is sectioned off by loading screens. To do the quest "correctly" you have to go find even more NPC's to talk to. It's kind of interesting for exactly one play through since you're going around and investigating stuff, but on subsequent runs the amount of time you waste walking and looking at load screens really stands out.

Freeside is one of my most hated areas because of that. I usually just skip the Kings' stuff until I absolutely have to do it. A lot of the Mojave Outpost quests are like that too, but at least there's only like 2 of them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

khwarezm posted:

How do you put 51 hours into a game you hate? Two whole days!

I somehow convinced myself that MoO3 was worth playing for two weeks. :negative:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

J-Spot posted:

New Vegas' strength lies in that it doesn't really behave like other games on Bethesda's adaptation of Gamebryo, but it also turns around and works against it in exactly this way a lot of the time too. The first two Fallouts could allow for a lot of quests that involved just running around town and talking to be people without it being too much of a hassle because towns were pretty much all one cell, and your movement speed was fast enough that travel time was trivial. Transitioning that into the NV engine turns that kind of stuff into a huge pain in the rear end even if the quests themselves are interesting because it's applying an older philosophy onto a system that doesn't support it well at all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

New Vegas' strength lies in that it doesn't really behave like other games on Bethesda's adaptation of Gamebryo, but it also turns around and works against it in exactly this way a lot of the time too. The first two Fallouts could allow for a lot of quests that involved just running around town and talking to be people without it being too much of a hassle because towns were pretty much all one cell, and your movement speed was fast enough that travel time was trivial. Transitioning that into the NV engine turns that kind of stuff into a huge pain in the rear end even if the quests themselves are interesting because it's applying an older philosophy onto a system that doesn't support it well at all.

Problem is a lot of those Freeside quests aren't even interesting. They're "hire this guard and follow him across town then report back," "talk to these people in the Mormon Fort and report back to me," "OK now talk to these other people and report back to me." And that's just the Kings stuff. You get a lot of this with the Atomic Wrangler quests too, unless you manage to bypass some of it with skill checks.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Problem is a lot of those Freeside quests aren't even interesting. They're "hire this guard and follow him across town then report back," "talk to these people in the Mormon Fort and report back to me," "OK now talk to these other people and report back to me." And that's just the Kings stuff. You get a lot of this with the Atomic Wrangler quests too, unless you manage to bypass some of it with skill checks.

Oh, yeah, the Freeside ones suck, I forgot that post wasn't the one that brought up the Outpost quests, which I thought were a little bit more involving.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

Oh, yeah, the Freeside ones suck, I forgot that post wasn't the one that brought up the Outpost quests, which I thought were a little bit more involving.

I guess the one that actually sends you to Nipton is involving, but the only other Outpost quests I remember were "kill some ants on the highway" and "tell the guy in charge about Nipton."

Edit: Oh and I guess there is Cassidy, but I kind of forgot she was there since you pick up the quest from Crimson Caravan.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Dec 24, 2014

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SiKboy posted:

People who defend the legion deservedly get laughed out of town sooo....

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

khwarezm posted:

In that case its a very different thread from the way it was when the game was new. I havent read it since shortly after the last DLC came out for the Xbox version, because I'm not playing the game any more, and what more could there possibly be to say about it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty fun anime, but goddamn is driving the loving tank (the game's centerpiece) a total nightmare. You drive using the mouse and keyboard, but even if you leave the mouse alone entirely (which you should, if you don't feel like turning in place forever) it will still keep trying to make your tank whir off into the sunset.

Edit - Oh, and the missions are ranked solely by how many turns it takes you to complete them. You basically have to run a single scout to the final objective (with pre-knowledge of enemy placement) in order to get an A rank.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Dec 25, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

J-Spot posted:

Yeah the sheer amount of times you have to go to the other side of town to have a conversation that consists of "hey X said this" "X said that? OK" is silly. I honestly wouldn't have minded if the NPCs just communicated psychicly instead, my immersion/realism/agency be damned.

mycot has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Dec 24, 2014

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

khwarezm posted:

The writers of the game couldn't think of a good reason for players with good karma to support the Legion. The ending narrator says, "Though the courier himself was just and forthright in his dealings throughout the Wasteland, he helped the Legion achieve victory."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The most I've ever seen rope kid say to defend the Legion is "yeah we didn't really have any time to put in anything to make the Legion not entirely evil".

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Colonel posted:

The most I've ever seen rope kid say to defend the Legion is "yeah we didn't really have any time to put in anything to make the Legion not entirely evil".

The sad thing is that Caesar was an interesting character with some good points, but not quite good enough to justify mass-murder, slavery, and institutionalized rape. Perhaps -- perhaps! -- it might have been better to focus on the whole "we're conquering and civilizing the wasteland!" :hist101: instead of the whole "AVE IMPERATOR! WOMEN ARE LITERAL SEX OBJECTS!" :agesilaus: thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you're right, why don't they focus on the good parts of the rapemeisters

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, maybe it's a bad idea to make the villains into rape-hungry murderfiends if we want to introduce a moral ambiguity option."

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
They're gear is kinda cool. But its much more efficent to kill them for it.
I usually side with the Legion for a bit and so some quests for them so I can get the safe house key (mainly so I can get the lucky shades).
Then I get Boon, he tell's me not to pull that poo poo again - and then we go raze the Legion camp to the ground.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dragon Age: Inquisition puts a lot of effort into the crafting system but the game kind of makes it moot by having overpowered "Unique" weapons.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

you're right, why don't they focus on the good parts of the rapemeisters

And even if you're pragmatic/goony enough for the ends to justify the means, the whole thing is a cult of personality that will fall apart as soon as Caesar dies.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The Legion was made to appeal to the MRA.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
EarthBound has some really great and fun writing, but it's a perfect example, at least for me personally, of a game where I have to deal with some really, really unfun turn-based combat for all the stuff I love about it. I don't even really know what about the combat irks me in particular, I just really don't like it.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And even if you're pragmatic/goony enough for the ends to justify the means, the whole thing is a cult of personality that will fall apart as soon as Caesar dies.

Which is why I've only ever had one game that didn't end with Caesar's head blown off with a 44. round to the face. :clint:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this? posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition puts a lot of effort into the crafting system but the game kind of makes it moot by having overpowered "Unique" weapons.

Really? Because I've yet to find a unique that I couldn't hopelessly outclass within one minute of crafting, especially if you have access to masterwork materials. And crafted weapons and armor have no level limits, so I can use item level 20 gear at level 10 if I so choose.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Colonel posted:

EarthBound has some really great and fun writing, but it's a perfect example, at least for me personally, of a game where I have to deal with some really, really unfun turn-based combat for all the stuff I love about it. I don't even really know what about the combat irks me in particular, I just really don't like it.

Get your speed up scrub, and attack from the back. Can't hate the fighting if you instawin.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, maybe it's a bad idea to make the villains into rape-hungry murderfiends if we want to introduce a moral ambiguity option."

There are a few things that would have thrown in some ambiguity if they had amounted to more than a few lines of dialogue. Like the fact that Legion territory was kept safe/orderly by wasteland standards and their treatment of women is a wartime measure that would be eased off once there was peace. But it's just basically a small thing that you could easily miss completely and doesn't really change their villain status much as it is.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I have strong feelings towards the actions of these fictional characters in children's entertainment. Very strong

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The real moral ambiguity is New Vegas is between House, the NCR, and the independent Vegas paths. The Legion are villains, and you know what? That's Okay, a game can have a faction system and still have a group that you'd only side with if you were roleplaying a psychopath.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Shin Megami Tensei 4 is, for the most part, a great game. But man, they toss a lot of chaff enemies at you. It was annoying enough in normal gameplay, trying to find out where such and such temple for a sidequest is, but after beating the final boss (neutral path), I had to go through battles with weak-rear end demons on the overworld and indoors areas before I got the last cutscenes and credits roll. I can understand not wanting to lock players out of finishing a few things before ending the game, but it really made the whole ending feel anticlimactic for me. My final battle should be with the level 99 cool guy, not some level 10 hee-hos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

Lol if we can count a game's story ending when you lose interest I guess my copy of 3 shipped with no story at all

NV very much tries to make all the factions lovely in their own ways. Although the Legion is the unquestionably evil faction, none of them could really be considered morally good.

Kimmalah posted:

Freeside is one of my most hated areas because of that. I usually just skip the Kings' stuff until I absolutely have to do it. A lot of the Mojave Outpost quests are like that too, but at least there's only like 2 of them.

Like basically all of New Vegas itself sucks other than maybe like the cannibal plot being kinda interesting. Growing up in Vegas and being super impressed by how much effort went into making FO3 look like a legit ruined DC, I had the biggest :flaccid: when I got to New Vegas for the first time. I expected this giant city full of like half of the game's content, and it's just a whole lot of empty space with mostly uninteresting, non-interactive people wandering around. Sort of like real casinos, I guess. The city is totally the weakest of the major areas of NV and it's annoying to navigate all of the side areas that aren't "the strip." I mean part of it's my fault for having high expectations, but they completely wasted the concept of post-apocalyptic Vegas.