Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I keep trying to get into Hickman's Avengers, but I just find everyone involved too unlikeable. Why should I care about any of these people? They're just being petty assholes instead of addressing the real problem. Plus the whole 'Illuminati blew up a planet after murdering its superheroes who were looking for another way'. Still having trouble getting over that. I mean it's a well-told story, but I just can't muster up the energy to care.
Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I keep trying to get into Hickman's Avengers, but I just find everyone involved too unlikeable. Why should I care about any of these people? They're just being petty assholes instead of addressing the real problem. Plus the whole 'Illuminati blew up a planet after murdering its superheroes who were looking for another way'. Still having trouble getting over that. I mean it's a well-told story, but I just can't muster up the energy to care.

How dare you sir.

Aw man beaten. :(

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 24, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I can take another issue of Reed and Sunspot being condescending to Cap because he's old and out of touch! Next thing you know Sunspot's gonna be rambling about Cap not being on Facebook or whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He's out of touch with the stakes and what they're doing because he's being too proud for his own good, not because he's old or whatever.

Although I admit I find the whole Cap thing a bit sloppy and kinda meaningless, but this issue was amusing enough. The time traveling Cap crap bored the poo poo out of me, though, so I guess it could just be residual.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I liked that this issue was kind of a piss take on Millar's Ultimates, from skydiving Hulks to morally questionable S.H.I.E.L.D directors to everyone wearing black leather. If one thinks about Hickman's Avengers Machine as something that contains the potential iterations of all the Avengers necessary, exploring different aspects of the team's past and alternate versions only fits. We've had pastiches of the Kree/Skurll war, conflicts with the Squadron Sinister/Supreme, big cosmic slobber knockers like The Infinity Gauntlet, Civil War, and now some Ultimates thrown into the mix.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Man, I finally got around to finishing Secret Warriors (I dropped it after the Howling Commandos arc with the intent of catching up when the run was over for monetary reasons), and I think I get Cap's position a little more now in Avengers. All the stuff the Illuminati have been dealing with and concealing was like a poor man Fury's plan, but with a lot less thought and planning. Whereas Fury sacrificed the lives of those closest to him, they at least had the foreknowledge that they were going out for a greater good. The stakes the Illuminati were playing at were far greater, and the game's rules were constantly changing. The Great Wheel/Game of Worlds is like a multiversal Zodiac Wheel.

(sidenote, have any of the secret warriors besides Daisy and Manifold been prominent since the end of the series?)

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 25, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

hope and vaseline posted:

(sidenote, have any of the secret warriors besides Daisy and Manifold been prominent since the end of the series?)

Druid's shown up a couple of times as Daisy and Maria's go-to "magic guy" at SHIELD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You should probably stop reading it, then. I stop reading comics I don't like, and it's greatly improved my quality of life. Just because everyone gushes about it doesn't mean you have to force yourself to get into it. Hickman will eventually leave the book when he's done blowing up everything and having Reed Richardses make out with each other, and then you can give Avengers another shot.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I find myself really disliking cap right now in Hickman's Avengers. His blind devotion to getting back at these guys that mind wiped him at all costs kind of makes him a dick, while that is perfectly in character for Batman it is not for Steve Rogers.

I love everything else though, so I can forgive his characterization here, unlike in AvX.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, I still kind of think Cap is right. Especially since he's got Spidey on his side. Those two are usually pretty right on when it comes to being the moral center of the Marvel Universe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno, I still kind of think Cap is right. Especially since he's got Spidey on his side. Those two are usually pretty right on when it comes to being the moral center of the Marvel Universe.

There's only one person right in this whole debacle and he's currently with Molecule Man.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's only one person right in this whole debacle and he's currently with Molecule Man.

I'm a fan of Cyclops being both completely reasonable and completely terrifying at the same time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here's hoping all the McGuffins come into play.

poo poo I'd enjoy a sequence like when they all tried to stop the Worthy Juggernaut. I wonder what they can do with Rockslide.

"Sol's anvil. Nope. Runaway planet. Nope."
*Molecule Man
"Welp. That didn't work."
*chucks Phoenix egg.
"JEAN GREY I CHOOSE YOU!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In a surprising twist, Adam X defeats Rabum Alal by igniting his blood.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Rabum Alal decides this incursion business is not something he can boogie to anymore and ends up going to a disco-tech.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TNG posted:

Rabum Alal decides this incursion business is not something he can boogie to anymore and ends up going to a disco-tech.

Dazzler's coming back to the spotlight, y'all!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"I've heard of breaking eggs for omelets, but this is ridiculous!" then Spider-man covers Rabum Alal in webs and saves everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"I've heard of breaking eggs for omelets, but this is ridiculous!" then Spider-man covers Rabum Alal in webs and saves everyone.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo, Steve. Holy poo poo, Reed.

Holy poo poo, everyone.

NA#28 was amazing. Hickman is having a blast with all these characters. :allears:

Every page from the Secret Avengers showing up all the way to the big reveal at the end was loving awesome

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Is Black Bolt's presence a reveal to Rodgers, or is it just Namor? I thought Black Bolt was a known active member of the Illuminati, and I thought he was one of the ones Sue questioned Cho about.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SalTheBard posted:

Every page from the Secret Avengers showing up all the way to the big reveal at the end was loving awesome

I thought it was the Mighty Avengers not the Secret Avengers showing up. I'm not following the latter book, so I have no clue if there's linup crossover.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

rkajdi posted:

I thought it was the Mighty Avengers not the Secret Avengers showing up. I'm not following the latter book, so I have no clue if there's linup crossover.

Reed says "But He did suffer losses, so He was forced to introduce a Fourth Party - - his Secret Avengers"

I feel dumb for asking, what is BSS rules on spoilers? I checked the rule thread and didn't see anything definitive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Is Black Bolt's presence a reveal to Rodgers, or is it just Namor? I thought Black Bolt was a known active member of the Illuminati, and I thought he was one of the ones Sue questioned Cho about.

IIRC everyone thought Black Bolt died or at least disappeared in the battle over New York back in Infinity.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Reed refers the Mighty Avengers team as Steve's Secret Avengers. They're not the same as the black ops team in the Secret Avengers book (Fury, Widow, etc).

He also refers to the Sunspot et al as the Avengers World team, even though they're New Avengers on the roster page.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Reed says "But He did suffer losses, so He was forced to introduce a Fourth Party - - his Secret Avengers"

I feel dumb for asking, what is BSS rules on spoilers? I checked the rule thread and didn't see anything definitive.

Spoilers for the thread's topic means no spoiler tags. It is assumed that by reading this thread you either have read the latest Avengers stuff that has come out. But if somehow the latest issue of Spider-Man came out in a conversation, you'd spoil that because even though he is an AVenger, it is happening in his solo book.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unless Inhumanity revealed something, Black Bolt was "dead" to almost everyone.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unless Inhumanity revealed something, Black Bolt was "dead" to almost everyone.

I know most people thought he was dead, but I was sure that Rodgers/SHIELD knew the truth by the beginning of this 8-month time jump. I don't have the issues in front of me so I can't check, but didn't Sue Storm question Cho about the location of Black Bolt when she was going through the known roster of the Illuminati?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a fully-filled-in version of the Avengers Machine out there? This is the most complete I found:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

6 spots missing. I imagine under manifold you'll have Nightmask, Abyss and Ex Nihilo.

So you have Starbrand and I can't think of anyone else missing. After Shang Chi you can have his clones?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
POD and that Canadian lady.

I thought they gave up on that verison. I don't 'get' it at all anyway. The whole "Avengers machine" concept was weird. The "let's make everyone an Avenger" was cool though.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

I thought they gave up on that verison.
That's why I asked, if a finished version kicked in before they changed it up to the full cast list for Infinity and then afterwards, this uglier, more generic-looking, non-Hickman-y version:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 31, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Think the next issue of Avengers is gonna have a throw down with Rabum Alal and the Ivory Kings? Or do we still have an issue where we see the Britain Corps get decimated trying to stop em?

I still want the Spiders to replace the Britain Corps.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gatts posted:

Think the next issue of Avengers is gonna have a throw down with Rabum Alal and the Ivory Kings? Or do we still have an issue where we see the Britain Corps get decimated trying to stop em?

I still want the Spiders to replace the Britain Corps.

I find it hilarious Spider-UK is apparently going to survive Spider-Verse only to die in this. And since the entire multiverse is dying, how many Spiders are going to go home to their universes/earths exploding?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I find it hilarious Spider-UK is apparently going to survive Spider-Verse only to die in this. And since the entire multiverse is dying, how many Spiders are going to go home to their universes/earths exploding?

"Welp, my dad died and this whole adventure put risk on my baby brother, but we're alive and mom's home waiting, it's good to be home, hey what's Doctor Strange doing with that funky helmet?"

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

But then they'd have to include Maria Hill, War Machine, Sue and the Zebra Kids.

quote:

I thought they gave up on that verison. I don't 'get' it at all anyway. The whole "Avengers machine" concept was weird. The "let's make everyone an Avenger" was cool though.

Iirc the original idea was that different teams within the team were supposed to have their own chain of command / base of operation around the world, like the first Avengers World arc, but they scrapped that idea.

As it is the Avengers Machine concept isn't really any different than the end of Bendis Avengers when they had like thirty people.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I've been catching up with Avengers and New Avengers, and... why is Captain America old and cranky now? I assume it's a blowback effect he suffered from his trippin' with the Time Gem.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He got the serum sucked out of him by a vaguely racist chinese nanomachine man

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Well, we've all been there after a few too many pints.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's funny thinking that Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine and Falcon have all had major status quo changes while Hickman has been writing Avengers and it hasn't really impacted the story that he's trying to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's the magic of not giving a poo poo.

• Locked thread