Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like Morrigan was attempt number one at creating an ambitious and divisive character that was an intellectual match for the PC, but improved that formula with the supremely cool Vivienne.

Morrigan, an intellectual match for anyone smarter than Sera or Oghren? Yeah, no. The recurring drumbeat for her character is that she's far less knowledgeable, charismatic, and capable than she thinks she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Like I said, it was an attempt.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Morrigan never offended me as much as she has others. Never the less, I'm pretty excited about where the series is going in the future. I also wonder if the game will ever advance in time like Skyrim did (I think it's hundreds of years after Oblivion) and show how the Inquisition has advanced since you started it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Cythereal posted:

Morrigan, an intellectual match for anyone smarter than Sera or Oghren? Yeah, no. The recurring drumbeat for her character is that she's far less knowledgeable, charismatic, and capable than she thinks she is.

I kinda like that, though? But the whole 'act like you know what you're doing so everyone assumes you do' schtick is something I find fun.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

neongrey posted:

I kinda like that, though? But the whole 'act like you know what you're doing so everyone assumes you do' schtick is something I find fun.

She really thinks she does know everything, though. That said, I never had a problem with Morrigan, she and my wardens always got along pretty well even if she disapproved of a lot of what I did. I always had more trouble with Leliana, tbh, though I'm liking her a LOT more in Inquisition.

I always play as a fairly good guy, so I have no idea what that's about. I was never able to get Merrill or Sebastian to warm up to me either. No great loss, in any case.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 24, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spikeguy posted:

Morrigan never offended me as much as she has others. Never the less, I'm pretty excited about where the series is going in the future. I also wonder if the game will ever advance in time like Skyrim did (I think it's hundreds of years after Oblivion) and show how the Inquisition has advanced since you started it.

Maybe by 20 years or so. The series depends on sticking with the one century.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Spikeguy posted:

It depends on who the pc of the next game will be. I'd like to stick with the Inquisitor for at least one more full game, as the premise of commanding a world shaking organization is really awesome and Inquisition was more...set up for that rather than pay off. I could see like a year time skip or so, to account for DAI dlc though. If it's elsewhere in Thedas I assume they'll do more of a timeskip, since DA2 lasted 10 years, and DAI is like a year after DA2.

And I don't think they have to stay in the actual Dragon age, it's important because Dragons are suddenly appearing after a long time of them being thought dead. I don't think whatever woke up the dragons will stop after the calender rolls over. :v:

E: On an unrelated note I really do like the subtle changes with Varric between DA2 and DAI. In DA2 he totally feels like Hawke's best friend, while he's still himself with the Inquisitor their relationship is a bit cooler. I like that.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 24, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Eimi posted:

It depends on who the pc of the next game will be. I'd like to stick with the Inquisitor for at least one more full game, as the premise of commanding a world shaking organization is really awesome and Inquisition was more...set up for that rather than pay off. I could see like a year time skip or so, to account for DAI dlc though. If it's elsewhere in Thedas I assume they'll do more of a timeskip, since DA2 lasted 10 years, and DAI is like a year after DA2.

And I don't think they have to stay in the actual Dragon age, it's important because Dragons are suddenly appearing after a long time of them being thought dead. I don't think whatever woke up the dragons will stop after the calender rolls over. :v:

I really hope we get to stick with the Inquisitor a bit longer as well. And at least a few of the companions, I really liked just about all of them this time around.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

She really thinks she does know everything, though.

Eh, it's a variant in the same family though. Not my fault she buys her own kool-aid. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eimi posted:

E: On an unrelated note I really do like the subtle changes with Varric between DA2 and DAI. In DA2 he totally feels like Hawke's best friend, while he's still himself with the Inquisitor their relationship is a bit cooler. I like that.

That's because the DA2 crew really are a big stupid family. I never got the same vibe from DAO or DAI. At the end of DAO I was like "okay see you guys whenever". Except Shale. Don't leave me, Shale!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"A village like this once hired the Chargers to deal with some bandits. It was the early days, so it was just me, Krem, and about five others. We must have killed fifty bandits. rear end in a top hat villagers tried to pay us in rice."

:allears:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I love that sort of interconnectivity they've got going. Early on Bull says of his sword "it's got blood grooves. Actually, it's the fuller, but blood grooves sounds so much more violent." and then later on in Skyhold one of the smith's random barks is "if I hear one more person call the fuller blood grooves..." :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Can dwarves go Templar?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Lotish posted:

"A village like this once hired the Chargers to deal with some bandits. It was the early days, so it was just me, Krem, and about five others. We must have killed fifty bandits. rear end in a top hat villagers tried to pay us in rice."

:allears:

hahaha looks like Cole isn't the only one who spoils movies. Where did that trigger? Crestwood?

And SubponticatePoster, dwarfs can indeed go Templar. There's even a "don't worry about Lyrium addiction, I'm a loving dwarf" option, though Cullen's a bit skeptical of that point.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Crow Jane posted:

I always play as a fairly good guy, so I have no idea what that's about. I was never able to get Merrill or Sebastian to warm up to me either. No great loss, in any case.

Merrill respects power. If you're not a complete pushover she'll drop her pants almost instantly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Irish Joe posted:

Merrill respects power. If you're not a complete pushover she'll drop her pants almost instantly.

I played a straight-up good guy and this was not a problem. It's just a Bioware romance, dude, you don't have to do anything special.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Gort posted:

I played a straight-up good guy and this was not a problem. It's just a Bioware romance, dude, you don't have to do anything special.

The idea that a Bioware game would make it hard to romance someone is ludricrous. This isn't Dark Souls.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I never wanted to romance her at all. She was just one of the few companions I never even bothered to try to get along with. I don't think I missed much.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Digital Osmosis posted:

hahaha looks like Cole isn't the only one who spoils movies. Where did that trigger? Crestwood?

And SubponticatePoster, dwarfs can indeed go Templar. There's even a "don't worry about Lyrium addiction, I'm a loving dwarf" option, though Cullen's a bit skeptical of that point.

Also Alistair makes it a point that you don't actually need the Lyrium to use their powers, it just supercharges them. If you go Templar in DAO you never take any and you can still do the Thunder from the Heavens gently caress you Mages move.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Irish Joe posted:

I went snarky, still hosed her :smug:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Overall have really enjoyed the game, much better than DAII. Right now I am doing the winter palace mission which is alright, although gently caress Orlesians with their dumb masks. I like how they are actually adding at least a few references to your character being a mage in my case, and having a background. Thats one thing I hated about Mass Effect, how almost no one ever noted that Shepard was a biotic... like ever. In this game being a mage actually lets you have some unique dialogue/responses which is cool and was worried they wouldn't be in the game. I also like how you have a standard background ,but through dialogue you get to at least expand on it and sort of customize your characters previous experiences.

I've essentially been playing my character as kind of a shithead mage from nobility who didn't mind the circles because he had money to bribe Templar's into ignoring him. He never tried that hard and was competent ,but unspectacular and then when the civil war broke out he ran off because why not... At the same time he likes loving with people by saying he is chosen by Andraste ,but saying he doesn't believe in the chant/maker etc. Makes for an amusing play through to see how people react to him.

I also liked some of the throwbacks to Origins, I like how Alistair is bitter my warden had him kill Logan, kept him off the throne and married Anora then forced him to stay with the Grey Knights.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 24, 2014

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I'm interested in getting this game, but one thing that keeps holding me back are how all over the place the reviews seem to be. Why is the aggregate user score so low?

MooselanderII fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 24, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I dunno. It's not flawless, not by a long shot, but the overall experience makes for one of my favourite games in many, many years, for what that's worth.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

MooselanderII posted:

I'm interesting in getting this game, but one thing that keeps holding me back are how all over the place the reviews seem to be. Why is the aggregate user score so low?

People hate the PC control scheme and the endless side-quests with no meat to them. Some people dislike the combat system. It's a good game and all of these issues are very minor compared to how they are in other open-world RPGs.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also, the Dec 9 patch was rushed and caused some problems that had to be hotfixed, but a lot of people went into a frothing rage over it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MooselanderII posted:

I'm interested in getting this game, but one thing that keeps holding me back are how all over the place the reviews seem to be. Why is the aggregate user score so low?

I have no idea, it's a really loving solid game by anyone's metrics.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are you talking about metacritic stuff, because there are some good user reviews on that site:

quote:

I never got farther in than 2 or 3 hours before I requested the refund, so I can't give my opinion on whether or not the dialogue/story is good.

quote:

[ really didn't like the lifetime special feel of the game where everything is daddy's fault. Bioware just lost a customer for ever

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ha. I know Daddy Issues the Game describes ME2 pretty well, but the only character in this game I can think has a significant issue with his father is Dorian. I guess one character with paternal predicaments is one too many for that guy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

Ha. I know Daddy Issues the Game describes ME2 pretty well, but the only character in this game I can think has a significant issue with his father is Dorian. I guess one character with paternal predicaments is one too many for that guy.

I do think it's funny that there's the longtime writer's tip "write what you know", because sometimes you can be a little too close to the content. Or at least it feels that way. Dorian's personal quest, yeesh. But I still like him as a character, he's probably my favorite. Such a dork.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lotish posted:

Dorian's daddy issues also stem from his dad freaking out that his son is gay. It's a sad thing that 100% happens in real life. Of course this is Dragon Age so the response to "my son is gay" is "brainwash him with blood magic" :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A pretty good fan art of the Solas romance, drawing inspiration from his romance and post-game cards. Linked cuz (implied) spoilers, natch.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Wish I could get that hairstyle in game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MooselanderII posted:

There's also this frothing-at-the-mouth hatred of EA (and to a lesser extent Bioware thanks to ME3's ending) and they got a *ton* of 1 start reviews within hours of the games availability. There we some stating the ending was crappier than ME3's only fours hours after release.

Do what I do, filter out the 1 star and 5 star reviews. The remaining ones will be the most honest reviews.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

loving LOL.

I just watched a clip of what I would assume is a post coital scene between a male inquisitor and Iron Bull where Bull is just laying around buck naked and Cullen, Josi and Cass all walk in one at a time and get completely taken off guard.

"Oh for gently caress'S SAKE!"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That scene is what sold me on the game. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Dorian's daddy issues also stem from his dad freaking out that his son is gay. It's a sad thing that 100% happens in real life. Of course this is Dragon Age so the response to "my son is gay" is "brainwash him with blood magic" :v:

Right because no parent in the real world would react to their child coming out of the closet by sending them to a religious re-education camp.

Given the casual usage of blood-magic in Tevinter and the importance of lineage and appearances, I actually didn't find it too far fetched.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

flosofl posted:

Right because no parent in the real world would react to their child coming out of the closet by sending them to a religious re-education camp.

Given the casual usage of blood-magic in Tevinter and the importance of lineage and appearances, I actually didn't find it too far fetched.

I know that that happens, I'm just making fun of doing it with BLOOD MAGIC :ssh:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MooselanderII posted:

I've actually found that aggregate user scores on Metacritic should be taken with a grain of salt at best. Way too many reviews on that site or either ridiculous fanboy praising (i.e. the reason anything related to FFXIII has a score in the 80s) or hate so pure you'd swear that the game in question managed to kill off a relative. Both throw off the score so much that the totals are all but useless, especially for niche games that tend to attract responses from the extremes the most.

Just try it yourself. This game is worth it, but not perfect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shugojin posted:

I know that that happens, I'm just making fun of doing it with BLOOD MAGIC :ssh:

My bad. Pre-Holiday headache. Carry on :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Can I use that Origin 20% off holiday code along with the current discount on the game, or does normal one override the coupon?

• Locked thread