Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That Terminus card is like the size of her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I think you mean her hand is like half the size of that Terminus.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Just to be clear, you guys have no chance. This is Joe Losset's waifu:

M13 and AVR are legal at the same time. Why isn't she playing restothrag bullshit if she's the best?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

SierraNovember posted:

When we started playing a few months ago, a friend net decked his first rhino whip deck. I blew 20 quid on the KTK event deck and managed to make a few trades from gimmes at our LGS.

I think I'm now more consistent in my mardu-brew purely as I play against our meta in additions and tweaks.

Not that I'm pro by any means, but understanding synergy etc most often beats net-decking surely? It's like handing a monkey a set if car keys.

I mean, you can imagine a scenario where someone looks up a decklist, studies it, understand why it is the way it is, plays with it frequently, and pilots it well. You can also imagine a scenario where someone picks a deck that looks neat, plays it for 3 hours every FNM and not much more, and always does meh at best because they don't understand it beyond a very superficial level (cast rhino win game!).

If you build your own deck, odds are unless you are just piling all the elves or all your favorite white cards together, that you have put more thought into it, so you understand it. If you build it and play it and understand it well, odds are you'll do better than someone who just picks a list and expects the deck to do the majority of the work. However someone can pick up a deck, and put in the time to understand it like they built it, then they ought to do well with it too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

M13 and AVR are legal at the same time. Why isn't she playing restothrag bullshit if she's the best?

To be fair it doesn't say she's the best, at least in the blurb.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Looks like it comes from http://dengekionline.com/pr/d-mtg/. You can read it here.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

SierraNovember posted:

When we started playing a few months ago, a friend net decked his first rhino whip deck. I blew 20 quid on the KTK event deck and managed to make a few trades from gimmes at our LGS.

I think I'm now more consistent in my mardu-brew purely as I play against our meta in additions and tweaks.

Not that I'm pro by any means, but understanding synergy etc most often beats net-decking surely? It's like handing a monkey a set if car keys.

This is probably true as long as there isn't a massive difference between your decks' qualities.

I feel like this is what gets people so worked up about control. With aggro you're dead pretty drat quick if your deck's bad, same with combo, and midrange only takes a little longer. But with control, it can still be a long round, just one where you never have any chance and you aren't good enough to know their deck and know that there's no way you win when every card in your deck sucks aside from the planeswalker that you pulled and splashed for.

Getting into magic when I had a friend who played drownyard control sure was an experience :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Let's just put it this way: if I asked this thread to come up with a Temur list (and I say that just because Temur isn't the most popular archtype in Standard), I bet you most of the decks would be like 75%+ the same.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Let's just put it this way: if I asked this thread to come up with a Temur list (and I say that just because Temur isn't the most popular archtype in Standard), I bet you most of the decks would be like 75%+ the same.

Yup. The other main area is money I think. People who are fond of complaining about netdecks want their deck without 4x of key cards, without spending for the landbase etc. to be just as good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Mine would have 4 Sagu Mauler and 3 Surrak Bearpuncher. Those cards are criminally underplayed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

Mine would have 4 Sagu Mauler and 3 Surrak Bearpuncher. Those cards are criminally underplayed.

As someone who actually plays Temur Ferocious in Standard, I can tell you why we don't play Sagu Mauler - you usually have to tap out to play it and even in a big honking ramp deck, you frequently can't just run them down on a Mauler faster than they can kill you with tokens or huge U/W Heroic guys. You really want to jam out a Ferocious-tier guy as fast as you can while still having mana up to use Stubborn Denial. For six mana I'd probably rather just jam a See the Unwritten.

Besides, you usually win if you manage to get enough mana to activate a Stormbreath's Monstrous trigger.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 24, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

For most clans you need to specify the archetype, since Mardu supports aggro, midrange and control/walkers for example, but even then a bunch of the landbase is shared. But with that specification you will indeed get a bunch of similar decks playing the best cards in those colours.

Mauler is indeed brutal, and Surrak should probably see more play for what he brings.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

For most clans you need to specify the archetype, since Mardu supports aggro, midrange and control/walkers for example, but even then a bunch of the landbase is shared. But with that specification you will indeed get a bunch of similar decks playing the best cards in those colours.

Mauler is indeed brutal, and Surrak should probably see more play for what he brings.

You could probably play Temur a few different ways, too, if you really thought about it - play it as Counterburn with Caryatids for blocking and ramp or something. But it probably wouldn't be "competitive."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I really, really dig Temur 'Walkers'.

Its basically midrange with a Sarkhan, Two Kiora and Xenagos.

Turn 2 Knuckleblade into turn 3 Xenagos usually makes people scoop and it also turns out that if you get Kiora and a Knuckleblade out against Abzan, they can't do anything to stop you if you have counter magic for the Utter Ends and Downfalls. I guess it also turns out nobody expects main board Denials.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 24, 2014

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought we'd slain the word Netdecking years ago? Showing up to the court wearing an official jersey and the latest Air Jordans doesn't make you a professional Basketball player; neither does showing up to FNM with the last PT winner's deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I really, really dig Temur 'Walkers'.

Its basically midrange with a Sarkhan, Two Kiora and Xenagos.

Turn 2 Knuckleblade into turn 3 Xenagos usually makes people scoop.

The deck I've been playing with is pretty solidly a Tier 2 deck but it has a really hard time on the U/W Heroic and Tokens matchups. It basically plays like an aggressive version of the old G/R Monsters that can protect its big threats with Temur Charm and Stubborn Denial. I love the deck because it leads to a lot of very fun games of Magic, but drat if it doesn't scoop hard to any game where its playing from behind.

Jeff Hoogland (the Meadery writer guy) is playing a super similar deck and got totally smoked playing it in an SCG event to those same matchups. Last I saw he was playing Rabblemasters though, which I hate in this deck.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

jassi007 posted:

Yup. The other main area is money I think. People who are fond of complaining about netdecks want their deck without 4x of key cards, without spending for the landbase etc. to be just as good.

I run kavu predator because it is almost like tarmogoyf and 1/200th the price! :downswords:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

I run kavu predator because it is almost like tarmogoyf and 1/200th the price! :downswords:

Hidden Gibbons, bro. Get with it.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

jassi007 posted:

I mean, you can imagine a scenario where someone looks up a decklist, studies it, understand why it is the way it is, plays with it frequently, and pilots it well. You can also imagine a scenario where someone picks a deck that looks neat, plays it for 3 hours every FNM and not much more, and always does meh at best because they don't understand it beyond a very superficial level (cast rhino win game!).

If you build your own deck, odds are unless you are just piling all the elves or all your favorite white cards together, that you have put more thought into it, so you understand it. If you build it and play it and understand it well, odds are you'll do better than someone who just picks a list and expects the deck to do the majority of the work. However someone can pick up a deck, and put in the time to understand it like they built it, then they ought to do well with it too.

Really good post!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elyv posted:

It's in line with the size of yu gi oh cards in the anime. The reason yugi is able to always draw what he needs is because the cards in his deck vary between being as big as his head and as small as the last segment in his finger.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

It's in line with the size of yu gi oh cards in the anime. The reason yugi is able to always draw what he needs is because the cards in his deck vary between being as big as his head and as small as the last segment in his finger.

Well, that and he has a literal magic power to let him draw whatever he wants.

Your explanation is better though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, that and he has a literal magic power to let him draw whatever he wants.

Your explanation is better though.

Did the Puzzle actually let him topdeck the Best Possible Answer?

Did it really? :aaaaa:

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
My problem with Temur is that all of the gold cards are pretty underwhelming in practice, and the main advantage is just getting to play a deck with Disdainful Stroke, Courser, and Stormbreath in it - which is fine enough but doesn't reward you for poisoning your manabase with taplands in the same way that splashing for Siege Rhino and Sidisi does. Playing straight up G/R feels more consistent and therefore more powerful.

Angry Grimace posted:

The deck I've been playing with is pretty solidly a Tier 2 deck but it has a really hard time on the U/W Heroic and Tokens matchups. It basically plays like an aggressive version of the old G/R Monsters that can protect its big threats with Temur Charm and Stubborn Denial. I love the deck because it leads to a lot of very fun games of Magic, but drat if it doesn't scoop hard to any game where its playing from behind.

Jeff Hoogland (the Meadery writer guy) is playing a super similar deck and got totally smoked playing it in an SCG event to those same matchups. Last I saw he was playing Rabblemasters though, which I hate in this deck.

A couple copies of Kiora in the sideboard could be really good if you have a bunch of U/W Heroic in your area. That and 3-4x Destructive Revelry/Unravel the Aether to blow up Ordeals and Aqueous Forms so your Stormbreaths can win the game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's canon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Equilibrium posted:

My problem with Temur is that all of the gold cards are pretty underwhelming in practice, and the main advantage is just getting to play a deck with Disdainful Stroke, Courser, and Stormbreath in it - which is fine enough but doesn't reward you for poisoning your manabase with taplands in the same way that splashing for Siege Rhino and Sidisi does. Playing straight up G/R feels more consistent and therefore more powerful.

A couple copies of Kiora in the sideboard could be really good if you have a bunch of U/W Heroic in your area. That and 3-4x Destructive Revelry/Unravel the Aether to blow up Ordeals and Aqueous Forms so your Stormbreaths can win the game.

I took all the Coursers out of the deck. Stubborn Denial in practice does a lot less when they know you have it. That's just me though, I know Hoogland still has 3 of them. For some reason I've stolen a ton more games with Fanatic of Xenagos when I get him out Turn 2.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 24, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It was unconscious at first but as far as I remember at the end of the series when Yugi and the Pharoah are duelling, the Pharoah is straight up drawing whatever he wants and he says as much.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was unconscious at first but as far as I remember at the end of the series when Yugi and the Pharoah are duelling, the Pharoah is straight up drawing whatever he wants and he says as much.

That's perhaps the best dumb Protagonist Privilege I've ever heard of.

Sometimes anime makes me smile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

That's perhaps the best dumb Protagonist Privilege I've ever heard of.

Sometimes anime makes me smile.

I think the puzzle made him king of games in general? I can't really remember. You kind of need it when your opponents are, among other people one who can see the future and one that can read your mind

And the puzzle definitely wasn't a factor in getting a guy to burn himself alive while the guy had him at gunpoint, that was all him

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 24, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I took all the Coursers out of the deck. Stubborn Denial in practice does a lot less when they know you have it. That's just me though, I know Hoogland still has 3 of them. For some reason I've stolen a ton more games with Fanatic of Xenagos when I get him out Turn 2.

If you're not playing counters why are you playing blue? The splash isn't worth it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the puzzle made him king of games in general?

I unironically love how completely batshit YuGiOh is. Cards that summon literal Egyptian Gods, dooming people's souls to hell when you beat them. And tell me the Pro Tour wouldn't be more exciting if they didn't race motorcycles while playing.

The game sucks though, right?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Boxman posted:

The CCG was good ages and ages ago but apparently it has become extremely parasitic which someone can probably find the Maro article on why it blows, but it blows, and Magic is so much better for not doing it.

unrelated but did anyone else read the last couple posts and immediately think the Pharaoh got whitelisted? aaaaaa

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boxman posted:

I unironically love how completely batshit YuGiOh is. Cards that summon literal Egyptian Gods, dooming people's souls to hell when you beat them. And tell me the Pro Tour wouldn't be more exciting if they didn't race motorcycles while playing.

I don't want them to race motorcycles while playing(that just reminds me of one section in Snow Crash), but duel disks would be sweet.

Hell, I'd accept those giant arenas from season 1.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

I mean, I wouldn't play it for tournaments, but if you have any emotional investment in the game then it's a great source of super casual fun.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Terminus EDH precon may be good but it's really unfun to play against

Boxman posted:

I'd like to point out that they recently unbanned a spell that literally just says "destroy all of your opponent's creatures". There are no additional costs associated with it, and there's no mana system in the game so it doesn't prevent you from playing or doing anything else on the same turn.

It's regarded as a sideboard card at best due to the absurd nature of the current metagame

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd like to point out that they recently unbanned a spell that literally just says "destroy all of your opponent's creatures". There are no additional costs associated with it, and there's no mana system in the game so it doesn't prevent you from playing or doing anything else on the same turn.

It's regarded as a sideboard card at best due to the absurd nature of the current metagame

Tell us more :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I'm taking a look at buying into Standard on MODO, finding some of the prices odd in comparison to paper, like Chandra being about 15 tix. Do Core Sets not get opened online?

Not sure what I want to do, replicating my Mardu walkers is a touch pricey, but maybe the practice will do me good, or I could do Heroic, or try BW Heroic again and not bother with competitiveness.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

vOv posted:

Tell us more :allears:

I don't know a lot about YuGiOh, but I know it gets ridiculous really easily. The fact that the game has no resource system means that a spell that says just "draw two cards" is/was banned for quite a long time, for example.
But yes, Irony Be My Shield, please tell more. :allears:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I tried to force storm in the holiday cube, but nothing was coming pack 1, so I switched to drafting birthing pod. Then pack 2 nothing was coming for that so I switched back to storm. Pack 3 ended uyp being pretty kind, but I still ended up with a garbage pile.

This deck is 2-0 right now, I have no idea how.

Shardless Agent into Oath of Druids of an empty board is a pretty sweet combo. Its almost as good as Shardless Agent into Pentad Prism, but at least I drew the Tolarian Academy the next turn.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I don't know a lot about YuGiOh, but I know it gets ridiculous really easily. The fact that the game has no resource system means that a spell that says just "draw two cards" is/was banned for quite a long time, for example.
But yes, Irony Be My Shield, please tell more. :allears:

Pretty sure Pot of Greed is still banned, when your deck is only 40 cards, two cards for no cost is horribly absurd. Especially since Yugioh has about a bajillion different tutor type cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

On a similar note, Shard of Greed is straight up unused in the meta. By giving it a two turn wait time for those two cards, it became unplayable due to how very, very tempo and combo based Yugioh is.

But seriously, Pot of Greed is nothing compared to insane cards like Spellbook of Judgment. Tutor a card for each spell you played that turn (which don't have a cost to begin with) and pull out a creature for free.

• Locked thread