Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the statistics show that to be pretty false. The number of guns in America gets played up a lot, but it's extremely rare for an officer to actually get shot and the chance of them being killed by a gun isn't even 1/100th of one percent. But the false fear gets played up to scare officers into believing that their lives are at risk, and so they start gunning people down practically on instinct.
what statistics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Im in the UK this year and I can confidently say that their police force makes me feel much safer than I do in the United States. When you come to a cop looking for help in the United States they immediately treat you as a suspect, in the UK they don't give people as hard a time. Far less adversarial.

That reminds me of yesterday when I got a good look at the new Dutch police uniforms for the first time and me and my friends were discussing it briefly.

They went from this:

To this:

A couple of officers were walking past and stopped a couple of meters away from us, which gave me the opportunity to really take a good look at them and I told my friends that while the new look is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, it does have a certain dystopian/authoritarian feel to it. Especially the caps give it a more tactical/oppressive feel. The cops overheard me and one of them kind of shrugged in agreement. Still, even with the new uniforms the Dutch police are generally very approachable even if you have minor questions, but then again, I'm white so I can't comment on the non-white Dutch experience with cops in a major city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On the subject of traffic fatalities, the US compared to other industrialized nations is significantly behind yet I'm a little surprised with lack of public outcry.

I tried looking into the numbers more but it seems the the vast majority of accidents are due to alcohol or wreckless driving. Is that accurate?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

straight up brolic posted:

what statistics?

The big post I made on the last page that showed how many officers in the US died (both in total and from shootings by suspects) in 2013, compared to how many people the police kill. 0.022% of all police officers in 2013 died from any cause and 0.006% were shot to death. In comparison, the FBI used data from 1/22 of all police agencies in the US in 2012 and found that at least 400+ "justified shootings" were committed by police each year. Civilians are barely killing one-hundredth of a percent of police officers, but extrapolating from the existing statistics indicates that police are killing civilians at a rate roughly equal to the US criminal murder rate. The police are literally killing more civilians than vice versa by orders of magnitude.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here is the story of Jefferson Davis and the great West Point eggnog riot of 1826.

quote:

One member of the class of 1828, Jefferson Davis, the future president of the Confederacy, had a history of being arrested or censured for leaving his post to drink at the taverns: he was the first student to be arrested for going to Benny Haven. Another time he drunkenly fell 60 feet down a ravine, his friends shouted after him to respond if he wasn’t dead. When a group of Davis’ friends suggested they flout the superintendent’s new law and throw a Christmas Eve rager the night of December 24, 1826, Davis was on board. Their choice of holiday beverage: the notorious eggnog.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
A promising fellow from the start, then.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Here is the story of Jefferson Davis and the great West Point eggnog riot of 1826.

You forgot

quote:

Jefferson Davis had missed everything. (His prized future general Robert E. Lee also attended West Point at this time, but he declined to take part in the party.) Instead of following his friends and resisting arrest, Davis stumbled to his room, retched a little, and passed out cold.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

On the subject of traffic fatalities, the US compared to other industrialized nations is significantly behind yet I'm a little surprised with lack of public outcry.

I tried looking into the numbers more but it seems the the vast majority of accidents are due to alcohol or wreckless driving. Is that accurate?

No. Very few traffic fatalities involve wreckless driving.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah, driving is just incredibly dangerous in general. Think of how many people you know who have been in fender benders, crashes, wrecks, etc. I am betting very few one of the parties was like driving down to wrong side of the road or drunk. But you probably still know a lot of people in accidents.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, driving is just incredibly dangerous in general. Think of how many people you know who have been in fender benders, crashes, wrecks, etc. I am betting very few one of the parties was like driving down to wrong side of the road or drunk. But you probably still know a lot of people in accidents.

Let me just say, think of how much accident rates will increase as the boomer population ages in their suburban life

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let me just say, think of how much accident rates will increase as the boomer population ages in their suburban life

Please don't tantalize me.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fool_of_sound posted:

Please don't tantalize me.

Its an unaddressed issue with long-term impacts which have not been considered for calculating pension fund and social security funding rates and unfunded liabilities.

I've got a cobbling of the main points from my notes on the issue, was thinking about posting them in a thread on class mobility in America and the impending financial, morbidity, and mortality issues from poor zoning and boomer tendancy to live in suburbs.

As it relates to cops, expect to see an increase in rates of murder/suicide, suicide-by-cop, and gerontological murder of officers to occur between present and the 2050s, before rates level off.*

*rates not equal in all types of residential neighborhoods. Suburbs in red states have higher rates than suburbs in blue states; see gun ownership by demographic for details

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Taeke posted:

That reminds me of yesterday when I got a good look at the new Dutch police uniforms for the first time and me and my friends were discussing it briefly.

They went from this:

To this:

A couple of officers were walking past and stopped a couple of meters away from us, which gave me the opportunity to really take a good look at them and I told my friends that while the new look is definitely more aesthetically pleasing, it does have a certain dystopian/authoritarian feel to it. Especially the caps give it a more tactical/oppressive feel. The cops overheard me and one of them kind of shrugged in agreement. Still, even with the new uniforms the Dutch police are generally very approachable even if you have minor questions, but then again, I'm white so I can't comment on the non-white Dutch experience with cops in a major city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

To my eyes, they've gone from a typical formalish cop uniform to something that reminds me of school crossing guards. Particularly the safety fluorescent yellow-green stripes.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

Our Favorite Son

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah all euro (or typical British?) cops look a lot more like safety workers to me than more militarized. Its the neon coloring that does the trick. Definitely a lot less imposing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

To my eyes, they've gone from a typical formalish cop uniform to something that reminds me of school crossing guards. Particularly the safety fluorescent yellow-green stripes.

And the holstered sidearms.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The girls made a flood-proof bridge concept out of Lego.
The Feminizer in Chief also threw some major shade on gendered toys earlier this month: :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fjlXo5nT-o

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

comes along bort posted:

And the holstered sidearms.

The cops wearing the old uniforms are also packing heat, if you look closely.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nintendo Kid posted:

My immediate response was that they looked like referees, I'm sort of shocked that people think that caps and vests looks more authoritarian than typical cop gear.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
At this point instead of lapel cams for please officers, maybe we should buy lapel cams for young black man and train them to turn them on whenever they see a police officer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

greatn posted:

At this point instead of lapel cams for please officers, maybe we should buy lapel cams for young black man and train them to turn them on whenever they see a police officer.

http://www.wecopwatch.org/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Taeke posted:

They went from this:

To this:

I'm not seeing it at all dude, they both look like regular old uniforms to me (though what fishmech said about the bottom ones looking like school crossing guard uniforms rings weirdly true)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think the new uniforms look a little like future uniforms in movies, and future cop movies are usually dystopian. But they look pretty drat cool.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

people that look like bike cops are less frightening

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

2. A judge has dismissed Sheriff Joe's lawsuit against Obama, ruling that Joe does not have standing to sue the President over his executive actions on immigration.

I was not aware of this earlier, but it's worth mentioning: the lawyer for the plaintiff (Sheriff Joe) in this case was Larry Klayman.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

We thought he was going for his gun, it turns out he might have been trying to turn on his camera. No charges will be filed against the officers involved.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like their vests. :3:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

greatn posted:

I think the new uniforms look a little like future uniforms in movies, and future cop movies are usually dystopian. But they look pretty drat cool.

I guess this is the association I have because I've never really been familiar with crossing guards and stuff that weren't just parents wearing an orange vest. The fluorescent stripes was actually something I mentioned to my friends, the green colour making it a bit more amiable or whatever, and if it were red or orange it would've really been a lot more aggressive. The old cap is obviously more traditional and I think the new, more compact vests together with the new caps make them look a lot more tactical, something I don't associate with the police at all. General cops on the beat never had a need a to either look or be tactical, like at all, and I guess it reminds me of the militarization of the US police.

Although, like I said, I agree with the rest of you that it's a lot more pleasing to the eye. Sorry for the Dutch police derail in the US politics thread everyone. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They probably have jackets for the winter anyway. This is clearly a summer uniform.

The framing of the two photos is likely part of the deception. The guys at the top are making bored/silly faces, totally unassuming and candid, and walking through dreary weather with shopping bags. One of them was caught mid-bite of his lunch. They look like a bunch of regular guys walking to work.

The trio in the bottom photo, however, are noticeably more intense. The woman in the lead looks stern and authoritarian, likely from whatever situation she's trying to handle right now. The guy in the back is resting his hands on his belt, which inspires thoughts of American cops who use their holstered guns as convenient armrests. Because they're not wearing jackets, their Kevlar vests are fully visible and add a more militarized look. But the important part is that they're in the middle of doing their job, while the folks in the older picture look like they could be off-duty. If the bottom photo had them smiling and chatting at a cafe table over lunch, it would look a lot different.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "Christmas is so extremely important. And not just for Christians — of course that’s the foundation of our faith, the birth of Christ — but also for those who just want to celebrate, to have a holiday that they can unite around, and today, unfortunately, people feel that they have to be so politically correct around that holiday, Christmas, that the joy of Christmas I think is diminishing, but it’s not too late, you can get that back, and we can keep working together to get the joy back into Christmas by putting Christ back into Christmas." ~ Sarah Palin, on the Fox News Todd Starnes All-American Christmas Special.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "Christmas is so extremely important. And not just for Christians — of course that’s the foundation of our faith, the birth of Christ — but also for those who just want to celebrate, to have a holiday that they can unite around, and today, unfortunately, people feel that they have to be so politically correct around that holiday, Christmas, that the joy of Christmas I think is diminishing, but it’s not too late, you can get that back, and we can keep working together to get the joy back into Christmas by putting Christ back into Christmas." ~ Sarah Palin, on the Fox News Todd Starnes All-American Christmas Special.

Even by her standards that's amazingly stupid. Easter is the foundation of the Christian faith, its the sacrifice and fulfilment that matters

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is it bad that I could tell that was a Palin quote before my phone finished loading it? She has a distinct, erm, speechifying syntax.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Joementum posted:

I was not aware of this earlier, but it's worth mentioning: the lawyer for the plaintiff (Sheriff Joe) in this case was Larry Klayman.

Dana Milbank had an amusing column about this.

quote:

Klayman faced his near-certain defeat with aplomb. He asked the judge to move “quickly” because “however you rule, it’s probably going to the Supreme Court.”

“I wouldn’t predict,” Howell said tartly.

“It will make you more famous,” Klayman told her.

The judge smiled. “I think in this room you’re probably the most famous.”

No doubt. How many lawsuits has Klayman filed?

“Thousands,” he said as we left the sixth-floor courtroom together.

He revised downward as the elevator descended. “Over one thousand,” he amended.

“Hundreds,” he said, as the elevator reached the ground.

He was being modest. Klayman sues everybody — even Judicial Watch, the litigious organization he founded.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is it bad that I could tell that was a Palin quote before my phone finished loading it? She has a distinct, erm, speechifying syntax.

It's all just one run-on sentence.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

They probably have jackets for the winter anyway. This is clearly a summer uniform.

The framing of the two photos is likely part of the deception. The guys at the top are making bored/silly faces, totally unassuming and candid, and walking through dreary weather with shopping bags. One of them was caught mid-bite of his lunch. They look like a bunch of regular guys walking to work.

The trio in the bottom photo, however, are noticeably more intense. The woman in the lead looks stern and authoritarian, likely from whatever situation she's trying to handle right now. The guy in the back is resting his hands on his belt, which inspires thoughts of American cops who use their holstered guns as convenient armrests. Because they're not wearing jackets, their Kevlar vests are fully visible and add a more militarized look. But the important part is that they're in the middle of doing their job, while the folks in the older picture look like they could be off-duty. If the bottom photo had them smiling and chatting at a cafe table over lunch, it would look a lot different.

The first picture is actually how you'd see the police walking/acting generally. From my experience, the police here are generally really relaxed and you know, just public employees doing their job. When I saw them the other day they were ambling along just like that, except in their new uniforms. It's an entirely different culture, of course, and always having seen the police as kind of goofy peace keepers that at worst had to break up a fight or give a stern talking to shoplifters the new uniform kind of struck me as... I don't even really know.

For reference though, these are apparently the long sleeve jackets:

I guess, for me, the lesson I can take away from this conversation is how lucky I am to live in a country where I can openly talk (and give somewhat disparaging remarks) about the new police uniforms within earshot of them wearing it without feeling even the slightest bit threatened. Hell, in the past I've been busted for stupid poo poo like public urination and drunkenly and angrily argued with the police about the unfairness of being given a 120 euro fine for taking a leak against a tree in the middle of the night in a back alley while it was raining, and the cops actually agreeing with me and tearing up the ticket, telling me to be safe riding home on my bike. I once saw a friend getting in a bit of a shoving match with a cop because he was emotional after his girlfriend got into a fight but after we pulled him away, calmed him down and he apologized to the cop they were understanding and let him off with a warning that it's generally a bad idea to shove a cop.

(Which is, for me as an outsider, what makes these kinds of threads both really, really interesting and sad/frustrating at the same time.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Police officers actually being pleasant and treating citizens as human beings is just one of the many things that encourages me to seriously consider moving out of the United States.

Ever spend time around American cops, Taeke? It's not fun. At almost any point for any unassuming thing you've done, even what you may not realize is illegal, you can be stopped and fined or arrested. If you're even vocally belligerent, it would be considered justified to tase, pepper spray, or simply wrestle you to the ground and scrape your face against the concrete. Officers are taught that anyone could potentially be a threat, to the point where simply moving too fast or holding something dark that they can't see clearly can result in you being shot dead on the spot. Minorities, especially black men (and ESPECIALLY younger ones, like teens to early 30s), get the worst end of the stick. When looking at how often male teens in the US are shot by the police, black ones are 21 times as likely to be shot. The same link includes a quote from an NAACP report on Oakland shootings: 37 of 45 police-involved shootings had black suspects, none had white ones, 40% had no weapon found at the scene, and 0 officers were charged.

The lack of oversight continues up through practically the entire criminal justice system, as we've seen with cases like Eric Garner or Michael Brown where you can be shot while unarmed and fleeing/surrendering or even strangled to death on camera and the grand jury won't even bring an indictment. McCulloch can openly act like Darren Wilson's defense attorney despite being the prosecutor of the case and keep his well-paying job, even when he admits to having purposefully allowed a false witness to testify and stated that he won't charge her with perjury.

And don't go into the Ask a Copgoon thread unless you want to be fantastically angry and realize just how many members of this forum are threats to human life.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On this Christmas Eve, let us all reflect on the final legislative act of Congressman Mall Santa, Kerry Bentivolio (R-MI). Before heading back to his reindeer farm, the Representative dropped H. Res. 779 on the last day of action in the 113th Congress.

Shine on, you red-nosed diamond!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Taeke posted:

The first picture is actually how you'd see the police walking/acting generally. From my experience, the police here are generally really relaxed and you know, just public employees doing their job. When I saw them the other day they were ambling along just like that, except in their new uniforms. It's an entirely different culture, of course, and always having seen the police as kind of goofy peace keepers that at worst had to break up a fight or give a stern talking to shoplifters the new uniform kind of struck me as... I don't even really know.

For reference though, these are apparently the long sleeve jackets:

I guess, for me, the lesson I can take away from this conversation is how lucky I am to live in a country where I can openly talk (and give somewhat disparaging remarks) about the new police uniforms within earshot of them wearing it without feeling even the slightest bit threatened. Hell, in the past I've been busted for stupid poo poo like public urination and drunkenly and angrily argued with the police about the unfairness of being given a 120 euro fine for taking a leak against a tree in the middle of the night in a back alley while it was raining, and the cops actually agreeing with me and tearing up the ticket, telling me to be safe riding home on my bike. I once saw a friend getting in a bit of a shoving match with a cop because he was emotional after his girlfriend got into a fight but after we pulled him away, calmed him down and he apologized to the cop they were understanding and let him off with a warning that it's generally a bad idea to shove a cop.

(Which is, for me as an outsider, what makes these kinds of threads both really, really interesting and sad/frustrating at the same time.)

That would most likely land you on the sex offender list here in the states. :cheers:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Pohl posted:

That would most likely land you on the sex offender list here in the states. :cheers:

How many people really wind up on the SO Registry for public urination? That's what every dude with orange letters on his license says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

On this Christmas Eve, let us all reflect on the final legislative act of Congressman Mall Santa, Kerry Bentivolio (R-MI). Before heading back to his reindeer farm, the Representative dropped H. Res. 779 on the last day of action in the 113th Congress.

Shine on, you red-nosed diamond!

Thankfully, he's as weird as Thaddeus McCotter that no one will forget him any time soon.

• Locked thread