Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Grey Hunter posted:

It is awesome, but may end up with your players killing Merlin and stealing Excalibur......

That seems like a positive to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Echophonic posted:

That seems like a positive to me.

We're enjoying ourselves.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Bundle of Holding is currently listing four nice offers (some of them returning from the past):
I'm quite tempted.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 24, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The full Paranoia bundle is totally worth it even if you're just a passing fan of the game.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For $20 that delta green bundle is quite good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The full Paranoia bundle is totally worth it even if you're just a passing fan of the game.
Yes, this. The 2004 version - XP - is quite well-made, and doesn't have any loving cards with terrible art.

It also has a shitload of support, including tons of converted adventures, and IMO the very best Paranoia adventure of all time right in the book itself.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Won't there be a Paranoia re-release via Kickstarter next year? I still have my 1990s rulebook somewhere, haven't looked at it in years. Hrm.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

midnightclimax posted:

Won't there be a Paranoia re-release via Kickstarter next year?
Seeing what they have shown and having a cursory glance at the projects the authors have previously worked on, I'm cautiously pessimistic.

quote:

I still have my 1990s rulebook somewhere.
You... might want to rethink that, citizen. There was no Paranoia edition to release in the so-called "nineties". Most notably, there were especially none to come out in the '99-5.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Is(n't) this the Paranoia release after XP, where they filed the serial number (literally the "XP" in the title, due to a complaint from Microsoft), and broke out the game into three rulebooks, where you could now be troubleshooters (as with previous versions/editions), or intsec, or high programmers? I can't keep my revisions/editions/versions/whatever straight.

Also: what's Delta Green?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
Nope, what you're talking about is Paranoia 25th Anniversary.
Also: Delta Green is The Laundry Files RPG (or X-Files meets Cthulhu), and it's quite great.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think this is the Troubleshooter/Whitewash release, which was the 25th anniversary 2010 release. You're probably right that it's XP (-XP) from 04.

Delta Green is a sub-setting of Call of Cthulhu. You play government agents in a conspiracy, secretly fighting against the mythos. It wallpapers nicely over one of Call's quirks, by providing a plausible context for your policeman, boxer, flapper, scientist, and three librarians to be privy to the fantastic threats.

DG also works in that you can't just call in the army or the super-FBI. It's more like you're the X-Files' Lone Gunmen, but they all work for the Post Office.

E: vvv You're right, phone browsing makes me blind.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
The Paranoia bundle page clearly states 2004, and the titles match the XP product line. Seems pretty safe to judge it's XP.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
So do people tend to run Delta Green in Call of Cthulhu, or are ya'll recommending it mostly as a setting sourcebook?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
Done both, liked both a lot (the latter somewhat more, though I suspect that was due to my very own personal gripes with d20 System back then).

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The Delta Green books are totally worth it all on their own as a source of ideas for any cosmic horror and/or conspiracy game. Mechanically they're tied to the Call of Cthulhu rules but the real good stuff is the ideas. I've used the adventures and plot hooks presented in Delta Green: Countdown for many, many different games and setting (my most used is probably the industrial chemical plant secretly producing zombie formula for a hidden Nazi conspiracy. I've run that in like 5 different systems).

Delta Green and Countdown are probably very strong contenders for being the best RPG books ever produced.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
There's a Kickstarter for a new standalone system with it's setting updated to the post-9/11 world due in January. These books will still be great for deep background and plot hooks. Countdown will still be fantastic.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Cool, I will pick them up. Any particularly recommended alternate systems?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

moths posted:

DG also works in that you can't just call in the army or the super-FBI. It's more like you're the X-Files' Lone Gunmen, but they all work for the Post Office.

All the X-Files comparisons work well, because Delta Green is super 90s, but in a good way. Like it's full of UFO conspiracy theories, that sort of thing.

WordMercenary posted:

Not a BRP fan? Anyway, I recommend Trail of Cthulhu.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Mimir posted:

There's a Kickstarter for a new standalone system with it's setting updated to the post-9/11 world due in January. These books will still be great for deep background and plot hooks. Countdown will still be fantastic.
...I know of two kickstarters for Delta Green fiction, but not anything regarding any system, standalone or otherwise; care to elaborate?
Edit: Found this, but they didn't kickstart it as far as I can tell.

WordMercenary posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

Not a BRP fan? Anyway, I recommend Trail of Cthulhu.
I'm sure that the 2007-ed Delta Green core I was using had both d20 and BRP stats.
Huh, now I wonder if the bundled version of the corebook is pre-2007 or post-2007.
Yeah, the GUMSHOE system works well with Delta Green. I used the Storytelling system, and it had been good too.
Edit II: The Re-Editing: Sources vary on the number of pages in Delta Green 1997 (BRP) and Delta Green 2007 (BRP/d20). The investigation will continue. I pray to stop in time and avoid delving too deep.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 25, 2014

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Foglet posted:

Nope, what you're talking about is Paranoia 25th Anniversary.
Also: Delta Green is The Laundry Files RPG (or X-Files meets Cthulhu), and it's quite great.

There's actually a Laundry Files RPG that uses BRP, published by Cubicle 7. Delta Green isn't quite that. But you could probably run Laundry scenarios in Delta Green and vice versa.

Foglet posted:

...I know of two kickstarters for Delta Green fiction, but not anything regarding any system, standalone or otherwise; care to elaborate?
Edit: Found this, but they didn't kickstart it as far as I can tell.

Haven't yet Kickstarted it, but that is their expressed plan. Hence Mimir saying it's coming in January.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
Ok, I failed my Avarice check, and it turned out the corebook is indeed 1997 (BRP-only), oh well.
(It's also, rather unexpectedly, 185 Mb, and Countdown's 270 Mb :what: )

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

minidracula posted:

Is(n't) this the Paranoia release after XP, where they filed the serial number (literally the "XP" in the title, due to a complaint from Microsoft), and broke out the game into three rulebooks, where you could now be troubleshooters (as with previous versions/editions), or intsec, or high programmers? I can't keep my revisions/editions/versions/whatever straight.

No, this is XP edition, just with the "XP" removed. The three-book thing didn't happen until a few years later.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Foglet posted:

You... might want to rethink that, citizen. There was no Paranoia edition to release in the so-called "nineties". Most notably, there were especially none to come out in the '99-5.

Uh... I'd just like to state that I own the second edition, and not the one I just read and forgot about on Wikipedia. don't kill me pls

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Delta Green is vastly more serious than The Laundry so if you go into it expecting the latter you may be disappointed. That's not to say there aren't elements of it that aren't blackly comical but in general it doesn't have any of the Office Space angle that Stross' novels play up.

I agree that Delta Green is a pro-purchase though, it's Greg Stolze and John Tynes (and I think Ken Hite's in there somewhere too?) at their height putting a modern spin on Mythos stuff that avoids being super-trite, and it's absolutely a fantastic resource for ideas, adventures, and inspiration even if you don't run it in BRP.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I've done closed Alpha and Beta testing for the standalone Delta Green within the last year, and the game mechanics felt very complete. I've not heard anything about January particularly for the kickstarter but it would not surprise me.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
January was what they said at GenCon. There haven't been any updates since then, so I would not be totally surprised if it ended up delayed a little. That said, the open playtest felt pretty smooth and ready to go to me.

As for the deals, I have picked up the Delta Green and Paranoia ones and both are great values - especially since the Paranoia pdfs have been very difficult to acquire recently.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Foglet posted:

(It's also, rather unexpectedly, 185 Mb, and Countdown's 270 Mb :what: )

That's because they're scans (with OCR for searchability) rather than PDFs created from the original documents.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just tried to buy the Paranoia bundle and this happened:

quote:

THANK YOU!
-- for your purchase of our ECLIPSE PHASE BUNDLE

:fuckoff:

e: Oh! The right thing was in my cabinet afterall, it's just bad web design.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 30, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

I just tried to buy the Paranoia bundle and this happened:

:fuckoff:

e: Oh! The right thing was in my cabinet afterall, it's just bad web design.

You lucked out.

It told me I bought Numenera.

And then the email went to my spam folder

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh god, I'd have written such an angrier letter to their customer service. gently caress, I'd probably still be typing it.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.
The Paranoia bundle is over; an Eclipse Phase bundle seems to have taken its place.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The thing about Eclipse Phase is that the PDF versions are all Creative Commons licensed and freely available, so the reason to spend money on them is to support the creators. And if you're going to do that, why cheap out? I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

malkav11 posted:

The thing about Eclipse Phase is that the PDF versions are all Creative Commons licensed and freely available, so the reason to spend money on them is to support the creators. And if you're going to do that, why cheap out? I dunno, maybe that's just me.
Well, maybe you just want to donate a bit under 10% of $cheap into charity. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I thought only the core book was CC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought only the core book was CC.

No, every book they've published is BY-NC-SA, and they distribute them freely on their website.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Huh, that's pretty cool. I knew they were distributing the core book through legal torrents themselves but I never knew they were doing that with the whole line.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Huh, that's pretty cool. I knew they were distributing the core book through legal torrents themselves but I never knew they were doing that with the whole line.

They're the best bunch of anarchists making a profit by doing what they love and freely distributing their IP.

Seriously, when you look at people like GMS and compare them to the Eclipse Phase guys, it's like night and goddamned day.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
DTRPG is having a "New Year, New Game" sale going on. This includes some bundles of games, including a great bundle of The One Ring that includes the core book, Lake-Town supplement, and an adventure book for $15. Considering the core PDF is usually $30, this is a fantastic deal.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Spincut posted:

DTRPG is having a "New Year, New Game" sale going on. This includes some bundles of games, including a great bundle of The One Ring that includes the core book, Lake-Town supplement, and an adventure book for $15. Considering the core PDF is usually $30, this is a fantastic deal.

Yeah, I snatched the bundle since I didn't have the adventure book or the Laketown book and they're pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Spincut posted:

Yeah, don't mind if I do. Most of the other bundles are kinda meh, though.