Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, it was an F-16.
Are you saying F-16s are unreliable, hard to fly, and/or worn out? (Not being sarcastic; I have no idea) Or just that it should have been flying so high/fast that ISIS would have a hell of a time hitting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
heart breaking
http://news.usni.org/2014/12/22/navy-pays-texas-ship-breaker-penny-dismantle-carrier-ranger

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's an inflated and bullshit claim that F-16s are more likely to crash. There's just a lot more of them operating, which makes mishaps more common relative to other airframes. Being a single engine aircraft does inflate the mishap rate slightly.

People like to impose this "lawn dart" narrative onto the jet without actually thinking over why the frequency of mishaps seems inflated.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
F16 is also considered to be the easiest plane to fly out of all modern fighter craft.

But yeah, kinda funny that the numerical amount of F16 crashes is brought up without mentioning the vastness of its service worldwide.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
From the Russian.jpeg thread, some SU-27(?) action.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's an inflated and bullshit claim that F-16s are more likely to crash. There's just a lot more of them operating, which makes mishaps more common relative to other airframes. Being a single engine aircraft does inflate the mishap rate slightly.

People like to impose this "lawn dart" narrative onto the jet without actually thinking over why the frequency of mishaps seems inflated.

The lawn dart thing is overblown, but its average destroyed rate per flight hour is still the worst of all fighters still in service in the USAF and its average fatality rate is second only to the A-10.

Source: http://www.afsec.af.mil/organizations/aviation/aircraftstatistics/index.asp

edit: haha, the stats for the F-35 are funny, largely because it's in development and hasn't yet killed anyone. Pristine Class-A rates. Awful Class-B rates.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 25, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

The lawn dart thing is overblown, but its average destroyed rate per flight hour is still the worst of all fighters still in service in the USAF and its average fatality rate is second only to the A-10.

Source: http://www.afsec.af.mil/organizations/aviation/aircraftstatistics/index.asp

edit: haha, the stats for the F-35 are funny, largely because it's in development and hasn't yet killed anyone. Pristine Class-A rates. Awful Class-B rates.

And the F-16 has a cumulative total of nearly more than 4,000 flight hours (~10,000) than the F-15, which clocks in at ~6,000 flight hours. And for the sake of accurate comparison, the USAF doesn't operate any other single-engine fighters. This very well may be the price of admission for a single-engine fighter.

The USAF operates over 1,200 Falcons and over 230 F-15's. Mishap rates are bound to be higher by virtue of fleet size as well.

bloops fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 25, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
As a result of the single engine, in my experience F-16 maintainers were all a little anal.

F-15 maintainers were a little more cavalier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

And the F-16 has a cumulative total of nearly more than 4,000 flight hours (~10,000) than the F-15, which clocks in at ~6,000 flight hours. And for the sake of accurate comparison, the USAF doesn't operate any other single-engine fighters. This very well may be the price of admission for a single-engine fighter.

It may be the price of admission, who knows? It's hard to compare numbers with something like the Gripen (different nations, different jobs, different flight hours, Gripen hasn't killed anyone yet I guess), and the F-35 is too young to really count. Given that every-loving-one will be flying the F-35 soon enough, we'll get all kinds of fun safety data over the next few decades.

edit:

quote:

The USAF operates over 1,200 Falcons and over 230 F-15's. Mishap rates are bound to be higher by virtue of fleet size as well.

Not really. Raw number, yes. But rate is per flight hour, and having a small number does not inherently bump up your safety rate.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 25, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Even then drawing an accurate comparison isn't as easy as just looking at data. Advancements in metallurgy, engine tech, engineering, etc all play a role. Who's to say the F-16 engineered with today's knowledge wouldn't result in a safer jet?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Even then drawing an accurate comparison isn't as easy as just looking at data. Advancements in metallurgy, engine tech, engineering, etc all play a role. Who's to say the F-16 engineered with today's knowledge wouldn't result in a safer jet?

Sure, which is why I'm not comparing to single-engine fighters retired soon after Vietnam, which had pretty rough rates. But the F-35 will coexist with various modern 2-engine fighters.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

Sure, which is why I'm not comparing to single-engine fighters retired soon after Vietnam, which had pretty rough rates. But the F-35 will coexist with various modern 2-engine fighters.

The Raptor and -35 are most likely near equal in terms of modernity. Every other fighter might as well be from the stone age.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Micr0chiP posted:

MiG-29

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Micr0chiP posted:

Sure that isn't a two-seat MiG-29?
edit: GODHOLIO! :argh:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Micr0chiP posted:

She'll get a sunburn if she straddles that thing too long.

That's also quite possibly a MiG-35, not -29. It looks slightly larger than a Fulcrum, but then again, who's looking at the plane?

Also, there have only been three -35's built, and most of them are decked out in gaudy "seriously, this isn't a Fulcrum" livery, so it might just be a late-model -29. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 25, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Raptor and -35 are most likely near equal in terms of modernity. Every other fighter might as well be from the stone age.

That's why I used the future tense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That Russian thread is amazing. I've been watching that guy catch the log with his face for like 90 seconds.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

Are you saying F-16s are unreliable, hard to fly, and/or worn out? (Not being sarcastic; I have no idea) Or just that it should have been flying so high/fast that ISIS would have a hell of a time hitting it?

Jordanian F-16 are likely less reliable and more worn out than USAF ones. Looking it up on Wikipedia, they're all second-hand A and B models.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Those MLU'd Vipers aren't nearly as decrepit as, say, the Venezuelan F-16s though. AFAIK ours (Dutch) were able to do their thing over Serbia and A'stan just as well as the US ones, bar a somewhat delayed JDAM integration and the need for new targeting pods.

Allegedly losing such a plane to MANPADS (though I wouldn't for a second believe it was an OG Strela) in tyool 2014 smells like a training, doctrine, or lack of suitable PGMs issue to me.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I'm a bit surprised that USAF has so few F-15s when compared to the Falcons. Well, "few" might not be the correct word here, but you get the point. For some reason I have a massive hardon for the phrase "air superiority".

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Micr0chiP posted:

If she was straddling my missile, it wouldn't be inert.

:huh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Post your christmas airpower pics.

Not really christmas, but w/e:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She'll get a sunburn if she straddles that thing too long.

:golfclap:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

:golfclap:

You sure it's actually a Sunburn though?

It's a Kh-31, Sunburns are a lot larger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

OhYeah posted:

I'm a bit surprised that USAF has so few F-15s when compared to the Falcons. Well, "few" might not be the correct word here, but you get the point. For some reason I have a massive hardon for the phrase "air superiority".

Vipers were much cheaper. Same reason we're buying so many F-35s but a fraction of the F-22s requested.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Godholio posted:

Vipers were much cheaper. Same reason we're buying so many F-35s but a fraction of the F-22s requested.

F-35s are cheaper than F-22s? :confused:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, but the gap is a LOT smaller than it was supposed to be. Which is completely unsurprising.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kilonum posted:

F-35s are cheaper than F-22s? :confused:

:thejoke:

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

As a result of the single engine, in my experience F-16 maintainers were all a little anal.

F-15 maintainers were a little more cavalier.

A-10 mech's give no fucks I have worked with maintainers from all diffrent airframes A-10 guys are the coolest followed by 15 guys and 16 guys are straight babies. I'm A-10 guy btw.

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Greataval posted:

A-10 mech's give no fucks I have worked with maintainers from all diffrent airframes A-10 guys are the coolest followed by 15 guys and 16 guys are straight babies. I'm A-10
[quote="Greataval" post="439404483"]
A-10 mech's give no fucks I have worked with maintainers from all diffrent airframes A-10 guys are the coolest followed by 15 guys and 16 guys are straight babies. I'm A-10 guy btw.

No one with an AFSC that starts with 2 is cool btw.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd like to thank every crew chief for graciously accepting all of my write ups.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You make it sound like that actually happens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Greataval posted:

How does one get on the good side of a maintainer? Are doughnuts involved or does it require some blood ritual where man, machine, and maintainer combine into one thinking, feeling object of bloodlust and pain?

Y'all want some coffee boxes from dunkin? Extra napkins?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

How does one get on the good side of a maintainer? Are doughnuts involved or does it require some blood ritual where man, machine, and maintainer combine into one thinking, feeling object of bloodlust and pain?

Bring the jet back Code 1, and they'll give you candy (and maybe a hug and a quick grope.)

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Leaving us alone is generally a good start.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Suspect Bucket posted:

Y'all want some coffee boxes from dunkin? Extra napkins?

I'm a mere civilian pilot, but I guarantee it's no different in the military when it comes to the relationship between pilots and mechanics.

First, don't be a dickhead. They want you, your dumb face and your dumb airplane out of their hair and out of the hangar just as fast as you want to be on your way, so impatience on the part of a pilot is not only counterproductive, but pretty insulting too. Think of it this way...you're making dinner and your SO can't stop bitching about how slow you're going and how hungry they are - it would piss you off no end, wouldn't it? On that note, try not to bother the mechanics while they're working...they know what they're doing, you as a pilot probably don't. If you do want to watch, make sure you ask before, and make sure you're doing it in such a way that it doesn't feel like you're micro-managing them. Second, don't be an idiot. Writing "the plane makes a funny squeak" in the logbook doesn't help anyone - if it's a simple thing, write it up simply. If it isn't, try to find someone in maintenance who has some time, go over the symptoms and write it up with their help. Failing that, just provide as much information as you can in your write-up without rewriting War and Peace. Further to that, just because you're wearing gold stripes on your shoulders and they're wearing a greasy pair of overalls doesn't mean that you know more about your airplane than they do, so it pays to shut up and listen when a mechanic tells you something pertaining to your aircraft.

As for the coffee thing, by all means do it, but do it as an appreciation of someone going over and above the call of duty rather than as a form of flattery. If a mechanic/group of mechanics stayed late/worked in lovely weather/got called in on their day off to fix something, show them your appreciation for their effort.

Really, it just comes down to courtesy - put yourself in their position for a moment. When you're at work, do you want to be browbeat every step of the way? Do you want someone unqualified in your task offering advice on how to do your job? Do you want to be given a task so nebulous that you don't even know where to begin? The same things apply here as they do in any other field.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
TL;DR: Use your common sense and don't be a prick.

I know it sounds corny, but in aviation , both in civil and military it is important that all the sides work well together, from the pilots to mechanics to the cargo loaders to air traffic control. Everyone is important in ensuring that the aircraft and the payload get there and back again in one piece. I would like to think most pilots understand the importance of all the work that goes into making sure that they might have a smooth flight.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

MrChips posted:

On that note, try not to bother the mechanics while they're working...they know what they're doing

I do sales and rentals at a small engine shop part time and this wisdom still applies. I can fix a lot of simple gremlins instead of piling it on the mechanics' workloads, and I'm probably gonna charge less because I'm doing it for the express purpose of being nice to a customer. Even still, I have to hold my tongue when an impatient meddler wants to stand over my shoulder as I go through troubleshooting his chainsaw or whatever. Most humans are clueless how these simple machines work, I can't imagine what hubris level you'd have to achieve to think butting into an aircraft mechanic's realm would help.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Scut posted:

I do sales and rentals at a small engine shop part time and this wisdom still applies. I can fix a lot of simple gremlins instead of piling it on the mechanics' workloads, and I'm probably gonna charge less because I'm doing it for the express purpose of being nice to a customer. Even still, I have to hold my tongue when an impatient meddler wants to stand over my shoulder as I go through troubleshooting his chainsaw or whatever. Most humans are clueless how these simple machines work, I can't imagine what hubris level you'd have to achieve to think butting into an aircraft mechanic's realm would help.

I work in IT and if it's one thing that absolutely makes me want to sterilize the entire human race is when a total newb in computer asks for my help (as a favour, he doesn't intend to pay me or even offer me a favour in return) and then proceeds to question or contradict everything I tell him. Last time I just told a colleague, "you asked me for help, shut the gently caress up and take it". That shut him up for a few minutes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

no I will NOT fix your computer