Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

tentative8e8op posted:

Thank you for recommending that :( I'm still teary but the ending was sweet.

Honestly, I was a little...disappointed initially? I felt that the tone was really building up to Geun-soo dying, so it seemed out of place in the story that he survived given all that happened. Thinking about it again, him just dying would be really cliche, but also him having a miracle and surviving would, too, so I like the author took a happy medium where he does get better but that it obviously takes time and work. Could have been handled a little better, maybe, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

a kitten posted:

Oh hey if anyone else likes seeing manga from before '89 (mostly anyway) check out this tumblr
http://fehyesvintagemanga.tumblr.com/

Lots and lots of shoujo in there.
Lots of insane eye sparkles.

Occasional Rick and Lisa Hikaru and Misa

Latest Real Clothes has some of that crazy shoujo eyes action going on.

Oh, by the way, _new Real Clothes_. http://www.mangaeden.com/en-manga/real-clothes/65/1/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 19, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

I'm liking the jeans arc.

Volume one of Citrus is on sale. Support yuri and order a copy today.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There have actually been two Horimiya chapters since I think it was last discussed in this thread (44 & 45). I think it's a bit of a return to form, especially 45. The guys make a good team :3:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't know if it gets mentioned in this thread, but I just read Ohana Holoholo after it got a new chapter. It's a pretty cute slice of life with a kid and relationship stuff, but it's all very amicable and the drama that's there is productive and it avoids languishing in it.
http://kawaii.ca/reader/Ohana_Holoholo/Chapter_11

And the cutest yuri manga ever, Kase-san, got a special Christmas chapter translated.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch14

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So uh

gently caress horimiya forever, it's gone in a really uncomfortable direction. Oh boy, a girl who wants to be publicly abused by her boyfriend, played for laughs!

It allllmost recovered last chapter, before overcompensating and driving straight off a cliff this one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

And the cutest yuri manga ever, Kase-san, got a special Christmas chapter translated.
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kase_san_ch14

Almost as cute and fluffy as amber teahouse, but not quite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

So uh

gently caress horimiya forever, it's gone in a really uncomfortable direction. Oh boy, a girl who wants to be publicly abused by her boyfriend, played for laughs!

It allllmost recovered last chapter, before overcompensating and driving straight off a cliff this one

Yeah, that was, uhh.....

plz don't kinkshame

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not quite Usagi Drop levels of "oh dear this has really just actively killed itself and any good it had done previously" but it's doing a good job of ruining any goodwill it had

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 24, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I thought it was pretty cute the first time, when it was just a one-off joke. But if we're going to make this an active part of the relationship here, then yeah.

Doesn't help that I was incredibly confused by the chapter before it, since I just cannot remember any of these side characters, despite having re-read it a while back for precisely the same reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I had no idea who they were either, that's not really unusual for me though since I read a lot of similar ish series and am incredibly bad at remembering what's going on in something unless I've read it two or three times.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Glad, how I'm not alone with horimiya. It's a challenge to recommend this to other shoujo readers now. I'm running out of options here...

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I'm just really confused by it. Horimiya seemed like pretty cute, interesting shoujo until the past few issues. I could even forgive the whole hitting Miyamura thing, since it seemed like Hori could very some character development and learn how to deal with ~jealous emotions~.

HaruxKiyo's still pretty cute, at least.

Best thing I've started following though year though is probably Soshite, Hare ni Naru. It's got a decent mix of nice happiness and kinda bitter disappointment.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Horimiya is shounen, y'all. :colbert:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

jellycat posted:

Technically you're right but it's shoujo in ~spirit~

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Captain Invictus posted:

So uh

Uh I don't think sadomasochism technically qualifies under the traditional banner of boyfriend abuse. I don't care for it but it's not the same.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

jellycat posted:

And now it's more evidence that shounen romance is bad romance instead of being one of the few exceptions.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You guys are a bunch of babies. It's pretty clearly supposed to be kind of hosed up that she's into it considering how uncomfortable Miyamura is. Now, if it was the other way around and Miyamura wanted to abuse Hori and she was uncomfortable with that, you'd have a point, but honestly I don't see how this is some huge dealbreaker comparable to Usagi Drop.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

You guys are a bunch of babies. It's pretty clearly supposed to be kind of hosed up that she's into it considering how uncomfortable Miyamura is. Now, if it was the other way around and Miyamura wanted to abuse Hori and she was uncomfortable with that, you'd have a point, but honestly I don't see how this is some huge dealbreaker comparable to Usagi Drop.

Still creepy considering she doesn't care how it makes him uncomfortable in the first place. It's not what most people call being considerate in healthy relationships...

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Still creepy considering she doesn't care how it makes him uncomfortable in the first place. It's not what most people call being considerate in healthy relationships...

That's been a recurring thing in the manga, though. Hori making other people (especially Miyamura) uncomfortable in a variety of ways isn't new. Maybe that will actually come up or maybe it won't, I just think this is a dumb place to draw the line.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I thought it was funny! But I can understand people being uncomfortable with it an d not wanting to read it anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not going into it because the romance thread isn't really a great place for a relationship abuse talk, but after my last girlfriend and her prior experience with domestic abuse, amongst other people I know who have been victims of it, a "she just wants him to treat her like poo poo and look like an abusive boyfriend in public" as a punchline thing comes off as crass at best. Someone not actually having experience with that sort of thing though, I can see them just viewing it as slapstick or something.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I still think Horimiya is funny and will keep reading it. :)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

That's been a recurring thing in the manga, though. Hori making other people (especially Miyamura) uncomfortable in a variety of ways isn't new. Maybe that will actually come up or maybe it won't, I just think this is a dumb place to draw the line.

Still doesn't change how it's creepy even if it's "theme" in the manga or that it happened once before. It can be dumb and creepy at the same time too.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's to show the dangers of premarital sex.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Whereas Mysterious Girl X shows the danger of never having premarital sex.

Not that it has anything to do with horimiya or shoujo, of course. I just can't resist a good setup to mock that particular piece of poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Horimiya is starting to sound like something I should read. :v:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Alder posted:

Still doesn't change how it's creepy even if it's "theme" in the manga or that it happened once before. It can be dumb and creepy at the same time too.

You're misunderstanding my point. This isn't the first time this has happened, so outside of personal experiences like Invictus I don't understand how this is especially worse than anything else. If you take issue with it overall, sure, but don't act like this is something sudden and unexpected, because it isn't. This isn't the first time Hori's fascination with violence has been played as a joke and it's not the first time Miyamura's discomfort with Hori has been played as a joke. Really all I'm seeing here is a bunch of people freaking out over sadomasochism.

As far as creepy goes, well, don't kinkshame. More seriously: It's a romance manga about dumb teenagers. They don't have a healthy relationship because they're dumb teenagers. If it acted like Miyamura should just totally capitulate to Hori, that'd be pretty creepy! But every character besides Hori has been pretty freaked out by this; the joke isn't supposed to be "haha, relationship violence" or "haha, Miyamura's a wuss who won't hit his girlfriend," the joke is "wow, Hori's really violent." And that part is supposed to be creepy, but I don't think we're supposed to be on Hori's side here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quite honestly I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were portrayed as both equally into it because, hey, some people are, but one person is obviously uncomfortable with the situation. Plus it kinda came out of nowhere is an otherwise fairly standard romance thing so it's not really surprising that people are kind of weirded out by it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

Quite honestly I wouldn't have a problem with it if they were portrayed as both equally into it because, hey, some people are, but one person is obviously uncomfortable with the situation. Plus it kinda came out of nowhere is an otherwise fairly standard romance thing so it's not really surprising that people are kind of weirded out by it.

Oh, if it continues to exclusively portray it as a joke then yeah, I think that would be pretty bad. I just think it's a bit early to say MANGA RUINED FOREVER ALL GOODWILL LOST when this could still go somewhere.

(Also to me it seemed pretty natural to have "Hori really likes gruesome horror movies and is excessively violent all the time" also include "Hori wants her boyfriend to be violent sometimes," so that didn't really seem like it came out of nowhere to me. Oh well :v:)

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

DoubleDonut posted:

Oh, if it continues to exclusively portray it as a joke then yeah, I think that would be pretty bad. I just think it's a bit early to say MANGA RUINED FOREVER ALL GOODWILL LOST when this could still go somewhere.

(Also to me it seemed pretty natural to have "Hori really likes gruesome horror movies and is excessively violent all the time" also include "Hori wants her boyfriend to be violent sometimes," so that didn't really seem like it came out of nowhere to me. Oh well :v:)

Yeah reading did seem odd, felt like it was unnecessary and can see that people would be creeped out by it. But like you said if it is a set up for "redemption flag" it might be okay.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DoubleDonut posted:

It reminds her of the time her boyfriend head butted a dude for upsetting her and represents the point where she most wanted to bone him.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

Really all I'm seeing here is a bunch of people freaking out over sadomasochism.

I said I didn't like x event in Horimiya because it was creepy. I don't understand why its not OK to you personally unless you happen to be the major investor/editor of the series why does it matter? It's fine to like controversial topics but still be aware of problematic elements too.

I pointed it out because, as others have mentioned, it's not a exactly funny topic/light hearted because it has real world problems related to it. No one in the thread is saying it's time to burn all manga because it's worthless.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Alder posted:

I said I didn't like x event in Horimiya because it was creepy. I don't understand why its not OK to you personally unless you happen to be the major investor/editor of the series why does it matter? It's fine to like controversial topics but still be aware of problematic elements too.

I pointed it out because, as others have mentioned, it's not a exactly funny topic/light hearted because it has real world problems related to it. No one in the thread is saying it's time to burn all manga because it's worthless.
I'm really just coming at this from the side, but the dude has used the word kinkshame multiple times. His problem is that you are calling some people's sexual practices creepy, which they could take as insulting. This isn't complicated.

EDIT: I mean I guess the thing is, as long as you all are coming at it from the point of "Well maybe if these guys had an abused partner they wouldn't find this funny," I have also had a partner who has been abused. I have also also had the experience of having a partner having similar kinks and been uncomfortable about it. I don't view the way things are depicted in this comic as funny, more like "oh this is a thing that unexpectedly comes up in relationships, how the hell is this gonna be handled?"

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 25, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Edit: Nevermind; this conversation should probably just stop.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Meanwhile, Itoshi no Karin ended. It was decent.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
ended with a wet fart.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I... don't know how I want to describe that ending. Incredibly safe? I guess. Felt extremely underwhelming.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Allarion posted:

Meanwhile, Itoshi no Karin ended. It was decent.

i liked the ending. you knew going into it nothing crazy was going to happen and overall it was a sweet story

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i liked the ending. you knew going into it nothing crazy was going to happen and overall it was a sweet story
this. It ended pretty much exactly as I guessed it would after he rejected her, but then nothing in the story was really revolutionary. It was still fairly sweet and I liked the characters.