Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Jabarto posted:

Christ dude what is your problem?

join the newbie game, gunnerkrigg avatar guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How does someone do LA Caelum?
Your str cap mage is A2E1D2H2+FAWED for 310g
Your other cap mage is A2W1 for 125g
Your non cap dudes are:
A1D1+FAWED for 125g
E1D1H1 for 100g
E1 with a forge bonus of 1 for 45g

I find it difficult since you only have a 40% chance of getting either a skelespammer or a potential stormpower>thunderstrike caster on your harabs, and your harab elders are limited to your cap.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

amuayse posted:

Your non cap dudes are:
A1D1+FAWED for 125g
E1D1H1 for 100g

I find it difficult since you only have a 40% chance of getting either a skelespammer or a potential stormpower>thunderstrike caster on your harabs, and your harab elders are limited to your cap.

summon some poo poo

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Have Some Flowers! posted:

toerrishuman aka mangame has ended on turn 92 with a MA Vanheim win as the last remaining players tapped out. It ended in a typical horrorpocalypse.

It's honestly surprising to see ashdod lose with that gem + rp advantage, even under AC. Couldn't he have just walked over to the proper thrones and ended the game, sailing be damned?

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

TheresNoThyme posted:

It's honestly surprising to see ashdod lose with that gem + rp advantage, even under AC. Couldn't he have just walked over to the proper thrones and ended the game, sailing be damned?
There was too much back-capping going on. I don't think anyone ever had more than 10 points secured in an 18 point game.

It was a 16 player game with 16 thrones, 18 points of 27 required to win. The map just felt huge because of the number of people involved.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

amuayse posted:

Your non cap dudes are:
A1D1+FAWED for 125g
E1D1H1 for 100g

LA Caelum kind of sucks. But it's never been a nation about t-strike, though. You kind of limp along with skellyspam and toolkit E magic with A support and evos as necessary. The added random in Dom4 hurts more than it helps.

e: Imagine A2 E1 D2 H2 +AWED non-str cap mages for 270g. That was actually kind of decent, because 75% were useful randoms for epower / skellies / tstrike and you had twice as many.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

TheresNoThyme posted:

Though I knew I had a large research advantage (going from memory so might be a little off):
1) I bordered almost all of the human players, and Man, Marignon, and Pythium were still decent sized at that point and I was worried about getting dog piled.
2) The map was loosely X shaped, where there was a single hub that a sailing nation could go in 4 different areas that were not connected by land. Even if I attacked Vanheim I could only take a single small corner of his stuff, then I would need to go through a bunch of other nations to reach the other 90% of his land.
3) I did not have any air access until getting some guys from The Throne of Knowledge late game. I could see he had hundreds of storm demons and lightning spam, so I thought I would lose any fights without lightning resist.
4) I spent quite a bit of time trying to make a plan to get the thrones, but they were just too spread out. I could never reasonably get enough for a throne victory.

With that said, I probably would have had a chance at winning if I attacked earlier to get more turns in before AC was up. I felt like I was winning more than I was losing when I could summon a tart and 3 geared up ditanus a turn, but once astral corruption went up all my guys kept getting eaten. I am still not sure how I would have successfully got through Ctis and the other nations to get his cap without losing a lot of stuff.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

amuayse posted:

Harab Seraphs are pretty handy 60% of the time. Flying Skelly Spam is good. Flying A2's are good. Flying A+E's are really good right now, and especially in LA where big armies roll around in front of lots of squishy mages. Tossing some earth boots on a pair of 125g mages isn't a huge investment, and that's enough to route an army with Rain of Stones.

All their new national summons are good mages and troops that give them plenty of options in the mid/lategame.

Also one thing the mod inspector doesn't show is that their Iron Crafters give a 10 resource bonus, so you can start with Mammoths easily enough and then actually build some of their fun stuff like Earthbounds and Storm Guards.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Though I knew I had a large research advantage (going from memory so might be a little off):
1) I bordered almost all of the human players, and Man, Marignon, and Pythium were still decent sized at that point and I was worried about getting dog piled.

Eh that was never really a threat tbh, i was man and almost my entire territory was swamp or mountains etc so my income and map movement was garbage. Me and pythium fought for a little while having a back and forth but unfortunately with no gems, gold, forts etc i just fell when Pythium invaded and the uncontested Mari took my cap.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I used the High Magus site from earlier to empower into Send Horror spam under Astral Corruption.

How many slaves and gems went into that empowering?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Magi get you E\S access and High Magi have S2 so forge a hat + coin and the only empowering necessary is the blood.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Interesting, mages researching in a fort will drop the books and participate in the fight if attacked. Mages being empowered won't participate in the fight.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
You can't just put down that barrel of virgin blood you're drinking. You gotta go all the way

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What happens if you lose the fight? Does the empowered mage attempt a one-man insurrection?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ugh forget it, I'm stupid. The battle was in a sieged fort province but it wasn't a fort battle, the battle was provoked because I moved another army to that province, in that case obviously only the guys inside with the order "break siege" participate (which were most of them except the one who already has an order of Empower...).

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

I used Magoth (the summoned Arch Devil) with one astral empower and a few blood empowers to cast the Astral Corruption itself, and the High Magus's were empowered in Blood and given boosters to start casting Send Horror.

Later on once I could no longer make Coins and Caps safely under AC, I started to just do regular Blood/Astral empowers on them so they could Send Lesser Horror.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Magoth is such a bro like that. F3S3 that you can pull without any S at all.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Harab Seraphs are pretty handy 60% of the time. Flying Skelly Spam is good. Flying A2's are good. Flying A+E's are really good right now, and especially in LA where big armies roll around in front of lots of squishy mages. Tossing some earth boots on a pair of 125g mages isn't a huge investment, and that's enough to route an army with Rain of Stones.

All their new national summons are good mages and troops that give them plenty of options in the mid/lategame.

Also one thing the mod inspector doesn't show is that their Iron Crafters give a 10 resource bonus, so you can start with Mammoths easily enough and then actually build some of their fun stuff like Earthbounds and Storm Guards.

The thing that kinda gets me is the fact they have a much tougher early game and most of their midgame compared to EA and MA since their airya seraphs are cap only and their non-cap mages just have kinda garbage path in comparison. Rain of Stones, Horde of Skeletons, and their summons are all in different research schools as well.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

The thing that kinda gets me is the fact they have a much tougher early game and most of their midgame compared to EA and MA since their airya seraphs are cap only and their non-cap mages just have kinda garbage path in comparison. Rain of Stones, Horde of Skeletons, and their summons are all in different research schools as well.

You get a lot of mages with poo poo paths. They should have just taken the W randoms away when they added the Fs.

You can totally make them work though but they are still kind of bad until mid-lategame due to how unfocused everything in the nation is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What do you think is the best nation people? What's your favorite?

I don't mean in boring terms of power. Who cares who is the strongest or weakest. I mean in terms of nations with a cool theme, that they feel unique, they have an interesting lore and it's well integrated in the gameplay, it has a cool summons and varied and balanced national troop roster, it also had some interesting weakness, etc.

I like Caelum and in special EA Caelum, they made a good job in the rework.
Winged humans living in cold mountain peaks mixed with Zoroastrianism is a cool idea. The Zoroastrian terms give them a strong, unique flavor even amongst Dominions nations, with their own history and culture, with Daevas, Yazads, Spentas, Mainyus, etc. Maybe I just like the weird sounding terms :P. I like all the lore of how they consider fire (rare for them) as sacred and it has to be maintained pure, which is why their priests are the only fire mages, and how they killed the Harab Seraphs that knew fire magic in a progromo as they were distrustful.
Their troops are represented by three clans, and I like how they put small stats differences in them, Airya has a stronger cold resist and cold protection, Spire Horn can fly in storms and has shock resist, Raptor are stronger, more military minded.
They have a good unit variety: 3 clans of winged infantry, wingless infantry, several types of archers, mammoths, pillage-specialized units. They have 4 (!) units that are capital only so you have to choose carefully what do you need.
You have nice choices with them: use cold 3 strong dominion and use cold resist troops? fly-in-storm units to support your mages and summon storms wherever you go? Do you focus on Eagle kings or in the cheaper more spammable mages? You can even try to do some light thugging with the Kings.
As a winged nation they have also interesting strategic mobility options vs weaker than average troops with size 3 and slightly higher encumbrance.

They also have been integrated strongly in the rest of the Dominions lore with the new Ragha and Nazca nations.

I also like nations that advance in interesting ways in the Eras. Like Ulm, they go from a mix of Germanic barbarians from the time of Rome and fantasy sword & sorcery barbarians, to Teutonic medieval dudes with kickass armor to decadent Transylvanian late-medieval nation with vampires and blood.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 24, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I like abysia because firemans are cool.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I like abysia because firemans are cool.

You surely mean hot, not cool! :P

Aybsians need a touch more, imo. They are supposed to be a race born of magma, very linked to pure fire (which isn't necessarily evil), but they lose their way through blood and demons, losing their fire powers and bloodline in time. It's a decent starting point thematically, but I think it could be emphasized more in the armies. Early age Abysia needs a capital only recruitable fire elemental, or maybe a monster made of lava, something like that. Also weapons made of magical magma, something that makes them a bit more special and fire-y instead of being red-colored humans with normal human weapons and human armor (apart from their aura). They also need a pair more of summons, they only have one exclusive, the smoulderghost.
Then they would lose gradually that stuff in the later ages and gain more blood. They also need some kind of twist to differentiate between MA and LA, they are very similar, in both magic and army composition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If Agartha can cast Rhuax Pact, why can't Abysia cast Pyriphlogos Pact?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

replace every spell that summons a fire elemental with a national spell that is one level earlier for abysia, and also that summons a sacred version of the same.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

replace every spell that summons a fire elemental with a national spell that is one level earlier for abysia, and also that summons a sacred version of the same.

*that also ages the caster and costs more. It is abysia and they aren't allowed nice things.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Torrannor posted:

If Agartha can cast Rhuax Pact, why can't Abysia cast Pyriphlogos Pact?

Because Agartha got patched and Abysia didn't.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They should have a volcanic eruption big spell that block Rain on provinces somehow :P

In general terms they are making good work on Nations in Dom 4 post-release. The Agharta patch was good, with lots of options, a stronger theme and enough difference between ages. Same as the Caelum patch, Ragha uses a new gimmick of two types of races in the same nation and the temperature dictating recruitment, Nazca has a nice mayan theme and the mummies governing the living and having representation of how it worked in the gameplay is great, Xibalba I still haven't played them and I'm tired of blood nations but I like their exclusive spells and their variety of mages, and the amphibian + flying troops is at least a novel combination in MA/LA.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

Ho ho ho it's Christmas have a present (the present is that thing).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

jsoh posted:

This and also instead of being linked directly to heat scales, have an effect similar to lava orcs in DCSS where the warmer the province is, the attackier they are, and the colder the province is the rockier/protection-y-er they are.

Give their sacreds a babby fire elemental secondshape, a la mictlan jags.

gently caress rain forever.

Turin Turambar posted:

Ermor > Ermor/Marignon/Sceleria > Marignon/Lemuria

That whole chain of "Jesus was a pretty cool guy we should try and get him back with all this cool magic we have" > "Hey we went looking for Jesus but accidentally found the unholy lord of the underworld"/ "Hey you guys are being stupid fuckers stop trying to summon the unholy lord of the underworld"/"Guys you're finding jesus wrong this is the right way to resurrect people" > "Welp we killed ermor but also corrupted our entire nation with blood magic to do it lololol hope you like demons" / "Welp we killed ermor but also propped open the gate to the underworld so now everyone is spooky goasts"

Admittedly that's sorta the lore they based the entire gameworld on (IIRC) so yeah.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChickenWing posted:

This and also instead of being linked directly to heat scales, have an effect similar to lava orcs in DCSS where the warmer the province is, the attackier they are, and the colder the province is the rockier/protection-y-er they are.

So Fire Power + Ice Protection then?

ChickenWing posted:

Ermor > Ermor/Marignon/Sceleria > Marignon/Lemuria

That whole chain of "Jesus was a pretty cool guy we should try and get him back with all this cool magic we have" > "Hey we went looking for Jesus but accidentally found the unholy lord of the underworld"/ "Hey you guys are being stupid fuckers stop trying to summon the unholy lord of the underworld"/"Guys you're finding jesus wrong this is the right way to resurrect people" > "Welp we killed ermor but also corrupted our entire nation with blood magic to do it lololol hope you like demons" / "Welp we killed ermor but also propped open the gate to the underworld so now everyone is spooky goasts"

Admittedly that's sorta the lore they based the entire gameworld on (IIRC) so yeah.

I especially love the Sceleria - Lemuria transition. "Hey guys we just finished fighting the rampant undead menace of Ermor, lets sit back and relax and let our own undead who are under control do all the menial tasks while we sun ourselves and tell each other how smart we are to use an undead labor force. Oh no we're running low on undead because when we all sat back and relaxed we stopped raising more undead, hey lets open the gates of death so the undead can just come back and serve us and we don't need to raise them! GENIUS!"
"Oh poo poo we opened the gates of death and it turns out the entire army of Ermor plus all our dead leaders were just sitting there waiting to break free and overrun the world again, well gently caress."

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 24, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

Like everybody else so far, I like Caelum and Abysia: the lore is just so interesting! Even if it doesn't always translate to being a Good Nation in the actual game, the ideas behind them are pretty much sui generis and the sort of thing you just don't see in any other game. Agartha's just as cool, too.

My personal favorite's Atlantis: not MA Atlantis, they're dumb and bad, but EA/LA Atlantis, and all the different ways the Atlanteans find to survive and adapt as the ages change. The Dominions world might be full of dead gods, mind-shattering horrors, and six billion skeletons, but if you count success by staying alive at the end of the day, Atlantis wins the prize.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
LA Pythium weirdly, but mainly because they were based on Senator from Conquest of Elysium.
Senator got 50% more gold and trade income, had increased chance of getting high powered mages to recruit, Serpent Priests actually had good spells, Renatuses were immortal and powerful mages good against both living and undead, Heliodromuses/Leos had some of the best buffs for your troops, Revelers were able to disable those loving annoying animal spawning forests and turn them into satyr/maenaed freespawn, and most importantly of all: had an actually powerful starter army.
Oh and gladiators lasted for more than one fight as well.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 24, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I feel like Lemuria goasts are pretty chill. I don't think they're really that concerned with overruning the world. They aren't even all that good at fighting! It's more that they're excited to hang out in their cool domain flying through walls and having good times with goast babes again.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I never played them but Hinnom seems cool as hell. Jewish mythology / obscure old testament stuff is really unexplored in media so it gives off that "weird mythos" vibe while at the same time slightly and oddly familiar. I also like when they intersect lore and gameplay in units like the eating-people giants, and I personally like having to balance out pros and cons like that. And the goddamn Release Lord of Civilization spell. Sacrificing hundreds of people to summon fallen angels is always classy as gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Ho ho ho it's Christmas have a present (the present is that thing).

someone run a game with this so i can play a slightly less poo poo abysia t i a

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the lore for abysia and caelum is insanely bland once you get past "people made out of magma" and "people with bird wings"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the lore for abysia is "strong aryan man corrupted by blood sacrifice(race mixing)"

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

God creates magma. Magma creates demons. Demons enslave man. Man destroys magma. Demons eat man. Demons inherit the earth.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 25, 2014

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Samog posted:

the lore for abysia and caelum is insanely bland once you get past "people made out of magma" and "people with bird wings"

At least Caelum has Zoroastrian references that make it marginally more interesting. That being said, if CKII is anything to go by, Illwinter forgot one of the most important parts of a Zoroastrian nation: sacred incest mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

jsoh posted:

the lore for abysia is "strong aryan man corrupted by blood sacrifice(race mixing)"

uh if you look at the sprites abysians are red so it is strong injun man corrupted by blood sacrifice (fire water)

• Locked thread