Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Lol if you think I'll suffer the indignity of having a counciltucky area code.
I thought your plan was to port your number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

I thought your plan was to port your number?

Can't port the number. They won't take it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

unless I claim I'm an Iowan.

I know Iowans who don't want to claim they're Iowans. :v:

I'd use post-paid T-Mobile if they actually let me get a SIM here... Hell, I don't even know how their data is. Maybe I should find my SIM card from the dork plan (or just get a new one..whatever) and try again.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Lol if you think I'll suffer the indignity of having a counciltucky area code.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I know Iowans who don't want to claim they're Iowans. :v:

Really the best course of action here may be to join the people tweeting @JohnLegere, he's much closer to his twitter feed than most CEOs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

Really the best course of action here may be to join the people tweeting @JohnLegere, he's much closer to his twitter feed than most CEOs.

Oh I tweet him all the time. No response usually, but the help desk responded once to tell me to keep an eye on their 700mhz rollout (I think - what they linked was the PR on the lowband plans)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

Oh I tweet him all the time. No response usually, but the help desk responded once to tell me to keep an eye on their 700mhz rollout (I think - what they linked was the PR on the lowband plans)

From a cursory Google search there is not a single corporate tmobile store in the entire state of Nebraska. It's like a black hole. Maybe they know something... maybe you should listen to what they're trying to tell you...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

From a cursory Google search there is not a single corporate tmobile store in the entire state of Nebraska. It's like a black hole. Maybe they know something... maybe you should listen to what they're trying to tell you...

Call me dense but what are you getting at?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FAUXTON posted:

Call me dense but what are you getting at?

:frogout:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Prepaid Smartphone Thread - Net10, Actually Mildly Evil, but insulting where people live, hey knock yourself out :rolleye:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rastor posted:

The Prepaid Smartphone Thread - Net10, Actually Mildly Evil, but insulting where people live, hey knock yourself out :rolleye:

Hey, Nebraska deserves a lot of the poo poo it gets. The state AG is suing Colorado because enforcement of lovely drug laws is expensive. Repeal'em though?

No, sue the neighbor and claim it's unconstitutional for them to have legalized weed. I hope NE and OK get laughed out of court but I am not exactly hopeful with this SCOTUS.

Tublicane
Jun 25, 2006
I normally use the T-Mobile nerd plan, but I'll be heading up to my parents next week where T-Mobile coverage is nonexistent. It would be nice if I could have data coverage for a few days and ATT works up there. It looks like Straight Talk offers data plans for tablets on ATT's network. Is there any reason I couldn't use one of those plans on my Moto X?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The phone companies do take some steps to prevent tablet plans from being used on phones and vice-versa. My advice would be to be sure you are picking a phone plan for your phone.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I ended up getting that Moto G LTE for the $75 rebate from Cricket. How's the rebate situation with Cricket?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Allaniis posted:

I ended up getting that Moto G LTE for the $75 rebate from Cricket. How's the rebate situation with Cricket?

You should be OK, just make sure you make a copy of everything before you send it off. Standard practice for big rebates really.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
I've been in the prepaid camp for over a year now (I love the T-Mo Dork Plan!). Problem is: My Nexus 5 looks like it has a hardware issue, and it's past LG's warranty. By chance I can't get it repaired or replaced for free/cheap and I get another phone, is there anything crazy I'd have to do? Or is it as simple as swapping the SIM card into the new slot?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PrivateEyeball posted:

I've been in the prepaid camp for over a year now (I love the T-Mo Dork Plan!). Problem is: My Nexus 5 looks like it has a hardware issue, and it's past LG's warranty. By chance I can't get it repaired or replaced for free/cheap and I get another phone, is there anything crazy I'd have to do? Or is it as simple as swapping the SIM card into the new slot?

What kind of hardware issue?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PrivateEyeball posted:

My wife's original GS4 had an issue with the connector for the SIM slot, when we got a new phone under warranty it was just a matter of plugging the SIM into the new phone. Changing to a different model shouldn't make any difference.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

FAUXTON posted:

What kind of hardware issue?

When I use the phone, it'll shut off randomly if it's not plugged in. I'm pretty much certain it's hardware, because while the problem started with Android 5.0, it's persisted with every update, cache wipe, factory reset, and downgrade back to 4.4.4.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PrivateEyeball posted:

When I use the phone, it'll shut off randomly if it's not plugged in. I'm pretty much certain it's hardware, because while the problem started with Android 5.0, it's persisted with every update, cache wipe, factory reset, and downgrade back to 4.4.4.

Any kind of custom recovery/ROM/Kernel installed?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

PrivateEyeball posted:

If you're in the US and bought from the Play Store, you can see if they're still doing free replacements.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/14844/20140904/google-will-replace-your-broken-nexus-5-for-free-heres-the-criteria.htm

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Keep in mind that replacement would be a refurb because they are no longer in production.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

PrivateEyeball posted:

As long as the phone is unlocked, yup!

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Keep in mind that replacement would be a refurb because they are no longer in production.

This was the case for me, but the refurb had a dead screen. I returned that replacement device and they sent me a new-in-box phone.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
Well, called Google. Had I not done the downgrade to 4.4.4, they'd have been able to help me more, it seems. My warranty with LG is expired, too.

If I didn't need new shoes right now, I'd rush out and buy something today. If it wasn't for me giving everyone my Google Voice number, I'd jump into bed with a Windows Phone device, just to be different.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

PrivateEyeball posted:

Well, called Google. Had I not done the downgrade to 4.4.4, they'd have been able to help me more, it seems. My warranty with LG is expired, too.

Why not just go back to 5.0 and call them back?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Protip: Don't mention you've done anything potentially warranty voiding when calling in.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's up guys, I am back.

I haven't following this thread in a while, I am sure you guys are talking about boring Criket or Sprint MNVO plans.

I am just going to post about this once. I don't even want to talk about it on slickdeal or howardforums.

Are you guys aware that T-Mobile is doing alot of "first month first" promotion on its MVNOs. The reason it is limited to the TMo network is that TMO is the only one who have decent amount of indirect sales (mom and pop prepaid shops). They are letting the indirect sales push first month free promotion to grab more subscribers. However the indirects are selling the sims online. I think the indirects are getting additional commissions as well.

If you search "sim first month free" on ebay, you can get these sims for real cheap (all come with first month of plan included).

Simple Mobile: as low as 1 bux, for a $40/1GB plan
Lycomobile, as low as 7 bux, for a $39/750MB plan
GoSmart $7, $25 plan
T-Mobile prepaid $15 for a $80 unlimited everything plan (yes the unlimited 4G plan)

Also the Ultra Mobile plan which I mentioned a few months back, which is $15 for a $29 plan
. FYI, if you buy the Ultra Mobile orange not the purple card, it comes with first month free officially on the card, so there is no expiration on this orange card, in case you want to have an extra card stashed under the pillow as your insurance policy.

The catch is you must have number ported to google voice, Tmo is spending money to buy new subs so there is no way they will port a T-Mo number for you. I mean you can talk to the supervisor and try your luck but I am not going to waste my time

Secondly all sims require you contact the sellers to activate them within a short period, and the activation is not instant, it takes a day or 2 to activate it. Some seller has a hot line phone number for you to call to activate the sim automatically. But in my experience it created more issues than the messaging the ebay seller.

Lastly I heard the rumor that TMo may blacklist your phone. I think its an urban legend but I will get to it later.

So that's what I am doing. On my wife's phone, its going to be a new $2 Simple Mobile sim every month.

I use a ton of data so I will be using T-Mobile prepaid's unlimit everything plan. $15 every month, that's a big discount from my current $53 Harbor Mobile unlimited everything plan

As for the blacklist thing, I just don't see how TMo is going to tell my phone from the phone of a prepaid shop sales guy's phone which will have a few new sims inserted in it everyday. Secondly, I am confident TMo will only monitor their own prepaid service's IMEI numbers not their MVNO's IMEI numbers. Lastly I got a old rear end Optimus G Pro with a cracked screen, I don't care if TMo balcklist my phone, I will get another OG Pro

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 28, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

First month free :words:

Oooh, this is interesting. If i didn't have so much credit built up in Cricket I'd probably give this a try. Please report back and let us know how it goes.

If it takes 1-2 days to activate do you plan to just activate it a couple days before the previous sim runs out?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

Oooh, this is interesting. If i didn't have so much credit built up in Cricket I'd probably give this a try. Please report back and let us know how it goes.

If it takes 1-2 days to activate do you plan to just activate it a couple days before the previous sim runs out?

Yap

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was referred to this thread after posting in the Sprint thread how done I am with their bullshit. After reviewing the OP, seems like my two best options are the tmobile dork plan or Ting. I actually talked quite a bit with Ting on the phone earlier. I really pretty much never use data, looks like 311mb since Dec 8. 8.55GB on Wifi. ~117 texts, not too much time spent talking.

I know Ting will let me keep my number and Nexus 5 and pay part of my ETF, does T-mob pay any ETF and let me keep my number, or is that what this business about GV is about. I'm too old and stoned to learn a new number and I know there are people who have my number but I don't have theirs, so switching numbers isn't a good option for me.

I'm still kind of floored, I've been paying this poo poo company between 50-100 bucks a month for like 8 years, I clearly don't matter to them as a customer, and it looks like the best option is to seriously pay someone else less money for essentially the same service, possibly even using the same cell towers?? This poo poo is bonkers, but whatever, it sounds like I can got from a 100 bill I can't afford and makes me hungry, to a reasonable price and the only catch really is the early termination fee Sprint does so they don't actually have to feel penalized when we switch. Whoever I do end up with is getting a personal Nobel Prize, Obama-style, simply for not being Sprint. Can one get a refund on unused data? I must have a TB or two over the years paid for and never used hahaha.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I was referred to this thread after posting in the Sprint thread how done I am with their bullshit. After reviewing the OP, seems like my two best options are the tmobile dork plan or Ting. I actually talked quite a bit with Ting on the phone earlier. I really pretty much never use data, looks like 311mb since Dec 8. 8.55GB on Wifi. ~117 texts, not too much time spent talking.

I know Ting will let me keep my number and Nexus 5 and pay part of my ETF, does T-mob pay any ETF and let me keep my number, or is that what this business about GV is about. I'm too old and stoned to learn a new number and I know there are people who have my number but I don't have theirs, so switching numbers isn't a good option for me.

I'm still kind of floored, I've been paying this poo poo company between 50-100 bucks a month for like 8 years, I clearly don't matter to them as a customer, and it looks like the best option is to seriously pay someone else less money for essentially the same service, possibly even using the same cell towers?? This poo poo is bonkers, but whatever, it sounds like I can got from a 100 bill I can't afford and makes me hungry, to a reasonable price and the only catch really is the early termination fee Sprint does so they don't actually have to feel penalized when we switch. Whoever I do end up with is getting a personal Nobel Prize, Obama-style, simply for not being Sprint. Can one get a refund on unused data? I must have a TB or two over the years paid for and never used hahaha.

You sound like a perfect candidate for Ting.

T-Mobile also pays etf as well but you'll need to trade in some kind of phone, and get on a postpaid plan.

If you can avoid the etf the T-Mobile dork plan may be good for you too and doesn't require any phone trade in or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll double check on when my etf even runs out, I'm kind of pissed it's there at all since when I originally upgraded to a smartphone, they basically didn't really cut a great deal on the price, rebate rejected, and I had to pay a 100 bucks to replace it on top of insurance when someone broke it. Ironically I think it worked out well for me, since the phone I have now is apparently immediately available to switch to Ting. I think I'm going to try Ting first and if I end up find out out I use more than I thought and it's too expensive, sounds like it'd be pretty safe to switch to dork plan, which is also pretty great sounding. Thanks y'all, my only regret is not reading these threads sooner.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

Khanstant posted:

I'll double check on when my etf even runs out, I'm kind of pissed it's there at all since when I originally upgraded to a smartphone, they basically didn't really cut a great deal on the price, rebate rejected, and I had to pay a 100 bucks to replace it on top of insurance when someone broke it. Ironically I think it worked out well for me, since the phone I have now is apparently immediately available to switch to Ting. I think I'm going to try Ting first and if I end up find out out I use more than I thought and it's too expensive, sounds like it'd be pretty safe to switch to dork plan, which is also pretty great sounding. Thanks y'all, my only regret is not reading these threads sooner.

Ting's also supposedly adding GSM service through T-Mobile starting in February. Don't know how heavily this will impact your decisions going forward, but something you may want to keep in mind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah she mentioned something about that, to be completely honest, I'm not actually sure what it means or if it would be relevant to me?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It mainly comes down to whose towers / service are better for you I guess?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I'm using Cricket, where my Moto G LTE will connect to LTE on cold boot or data toggle, but will drop to HSPA+ and refuse to reconnect to LTE. I've tried with a OnePlus and it does the same thing. Connects to LTE on boot, but switches back to HSPA+ after a while and will switch back on toggle. And not like it's bad signal either, since it's full bars of LTE too.

Anyone else have this issue?

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

You're going out there a silly, hysterical, screaming queen, but you're coming back a great, big, passing-for-straight Broadway star!

Rastor posted:

It mainly comes down to whose towers / service are better for you I guess?

This is mainly what I was getting at, yeah; come February, if you find Sprint's service to not be up to par and you like Ting's pricing options, you'll be able to try out T-Mobile's service while still using Ting (albeit with a different phone; Sprint's phones won't work on T-Mobile's networks, and vice versa I'm dumb and didn't read that Khanstant has a Nexus 5, so they should be good either way).

As mentioned, though, it'll come down to how T-Mobile compares to Sprint in your area regarding call reception, data, etc.

Pebble and the Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Knight of Arboria posted:

This is mainly what I was getting at, yeah; come February, if you find Sprint's service to not be up to par and you like Ting's pricing options, you'll be able to try out T-Mobile's service while still using Ting (albeit with a different phone; Sprint's phones won't work on T-Mobile's networks, and vice versa).

As mentioned, though, it'll come down to how T-Mobile compares to Sprint in your area regarding call reception, data, etc.

Doesn't the Nexus 5 work on both though? It has all the radios and whatnot.

Pebble and the Penguin
Sep 9, 2010

Athenry posted:

Doesn't the Nexus 5 work on both though? It has all the radios and whatnot.

This is true of the Nexus 5, yeah; I saw the part of Khanstant's post where he mentioned it and I must've missed it initially. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010
So what is the latest opinion on Republic Wireless? I avoided them before because Sprint didn't have very good coverage where I am but they seem to have built more towers recently. I have no problem being on WiFi as long as it works. I am just really interested in the new Moto X and a cheaper monthly payment