Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It happens but like, maybe once or twice per game.

Then again I can say the same thing about being invaded in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also there's a lot of restrictions on the summon triggering, since both people have to be wearing the rings and be close in SM and be in the same area i think. So it's probably more likely to stumble on a regular/sunbro sign when you get invaded and get help that way much faster. I've played hours in both covenants and never had a single match-up happen.

Only the Arbiter has to be wearing the ring, actually.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've only ever seen one blue and I almost always join the blue babies up until maybe Earthen Peak. On top of what was already mentioned the while Soul Memory thing makes meeting blues unlikely as by the time someone is ready to invade they are usually out of the soul memory range of people who are participating as blue passives.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Few more newbie questions:

1. I'm running a pure physical build. Should I bother infusing my weapons with anything?

2. I'm planning on getting my Strength up to 50 to use the Demon's Great Hammer. Is it worth it?

3. What should I use my Twinkling Titanite on? I was thinking the aforementioned hammer, but I'm not totally sure.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Infusion changes the weapon's scaling, so it's generally not worth it if you have high str/dex. Demon's great hammer is good, but keep in mind that the 50 str requirement is for wielding in one hand. You only need 25 str to two-hand it. More str is never bad though. And yeah, use twinkling titanite on the demon's great hammer. It's the only material that can upgrade it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Also there's a lot of restrictions on the summon triggering, since both people have to be wearing the rings and be close in SM and be in the same area i think. So it's probably more likely to stumble on a regular/sunbro sign when you get invaded and get help that way much faster. I've played hours in both covenants and never had a single match-up happen.

You don't have to be in the same area. I've been summoned from No Man's Wharf up to Dragon Aerie.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've only ever seen one blue and I almost always join the blue babies up until maybe Earthen Peak. On top of what was already mentioned the while Soul Memory thing makes meeting blues unlikely as by the time someone is ready to invade they are usually out of the soul memory range of people who are participating as blue passives.

eh? you can invade quite effectively as a SM 0 character since, you know, you're invading other SM 0 characters. If you can find them anyway. Grab a dagger and red eye orb from Things Betwixt and you can invade straight from the first Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Few more newbie questions:

1. I'm running a pure physical build. Should I bother infusing my weapons with anything?

2. I'm planning on getting my Strength up to 50 to use the Demon's Great Hammer. Is it worth it?

3. What should I use my Twinkling Titanite on? I was thinking the aforementioned hammer, but I'm not totally sure.

If you get a crossbow RAW it.

Demon's Greathammer is a frellin divine gift for STR builds if you get it your first time. A little low on durability I find, but perfectly manageable. Kind of shares that quality with its DEX brother, the Old Whip.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr Dog posted:

eh? you can invade quite effectively as a SM 0 character since, you know, you're invading other SM 0 characters. If you can find them anyway. Grab a dagger and red eye orb from Things Betwixt and you can invade straight from the first Forest of Fallen Giants bonfire.

Yeah, once.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Flytrap posted:

Only the Arbiter has to be wearing the ring, actually.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You don't have to be in the same area. I've been summoned from No Man's Wharf up to Dragon Aerie.
Okay that's great to hear, happy to be mistaken about that. Guess i just got unlucky then. :)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
One time I got summoned to Gulch from Drangleic. I did not have a fun time.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So err, dex weapons? I'm rolling a swordsman and so far the dex opportunities have been lackluster at best. The best I've been able to find is a falchion and I have to keep 2 of them because the first one will break before the next bonfire/boss fight unless I switch them out. I'm also not impressed with their damage for the area that I'm in (pirate cove, +4 upgraded falchion). Am I doing it wrong? Is there a BSS in dark souls 2 that I failed to find? Are dex weapons simply less good than strength weaponry?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You could get a rapier or two and poke everything to death like everyone else. I've been running around with power stanced lightning manikin sabres and been pretty happy with them but hell if I know whether or not they rate as "good". Fun in pvp at least, get up in peoples' faces and bully them around, catch them mid-roll a lot.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

double nine posted:

So err, dex weapons? I'm rolling a swordsman and so far the dex opportunities have been lackluster at best. The best I've been able to find is a falchion and I have to keep 2 of them because the first one will break before the next bonfire/boss fight unless I switch them out. I'm also not impressed with their damage for the area that I'm in (pirate cove, +4 upgraded falchion). Am I doing it wrong? Is there a BSS in dark souls 2 that I failed to find? Are dex weapons simply less good than strength weaponry?

Falchions are just bad. Low durability, worthless bleed damage, lacklustre physical damage, and they hit really slowly for the little amount of poise damage they do. Apart from the rapier, good dex scaling weapons don't really show up till later.

Old whip owns bones.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

There is legitimately no BSS equivalent, even in the rear end-endgame; the Dex-scaling straight sword with the best overall stats and a good thrust is the Fume Sword which is one of the last weapons you'll probably get and is still weaker than the BSS because it's shorter. It's not a bad weapon, though.

Early on you should pack a rapier and some kind of slashing weapon (whatever kind, even if it's a straight sword with quality scaling, many of which are pretty good). Katanas are still decent and there's a large variety of them in the second half of the game which are all pretty good depending on how you prioritize damage, reach, and moveset. There's a new thrusting sword late in the game, the Espada Ropera, which is great if you like actually using thrusting swords to poke and not just to parry or backstab with, with higher attack power than any other thrusting sword in either game. There's also a larger variety of useful curved greatswords than in Dark Souls, though several are boss weapons, and a very solid Dex-scaling normal greatsword with a strong thrust attack you can pick up quite early which served me well in both PVE and PVP (the Mirrah Greatsword, kill Lucatiel). Ricard's Rapier's R2 is amazing at sticking bleed and poison now, noting that bleed sucks this time and poison is actually quite powerful in PVE and against dumb turtles in PVP because it's more like toxic from Dark Souls in terms of its effect especially with high Dex.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Curved swords are really good, not sure what you guys are talking about. All of its attacks are very fast, and good damage (especially the falchion).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

double nine posted:

Pate's Spear is amazing, so is the Blacksteel Katana. Spears in general are very good. There are a lot of great dex weapons. What you want for small, light weapons is Flynn's Ring and the Blade of Rings. Actually you want that for everything but it's most important for the low AR stuff.

Never used the falchion so I can't say how good it is.

fake edit: in Ivory King you get a dex scaling light saber, dex is pretty cool you guys

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Some good rings to consider for pokey dex builds (seconding the Rapier by the way), bearing in mind that they're good for doing quick hits, possibly repeatedly, and also getting in and out without committing to a long slow animation:

Flynn's Ring (treasure in first DLC), provided you keep your equip load - and therefore vitality stat - low enough.
Old Leo Ring (dropped by notOrnstein), since "counter attacks" are basically anything while the enemy's animating, which will be a lot of the time.
Ring of Blades (+0 from FoFG Pursuer, +1 from Iron Keep Pursuer, +2 from NG+/ascetic Drangleic Pursuer pair).

If you're going to scrap one (because you want two utility rings instead of one), Old Leo Ring's probably the smallest contribution of the three, but people who know numbers better than I, may correct that. I like Stone Ring in the fourth slot too for the extra poise damage, though there are some places (like the first DLC) where that's not as useful as you might hope.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

fake edit: in Ivory King you get a dex scaling light saber, dex is pretty cool you guys
Unfortunately that weapon is awful, despite looking cool.

I usually prefer Dex weapons to Str ones on the basis of having better movesets and less propensity to lock yourself in place for long periods of time.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is the stone ring worth using at all?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the effort it takes you to get it (not much if you're good at dodging hippo rear end), it's pretty useful in the early game. I make sure to pick it up whenever I remember on new characters.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is based on nothing but speculation and confirmation bias but I do think the game starts looking for cops to summon in the same area as the invasion, then only starts looking for cops in other areas if it can't find any there. I've just found that the majority of my calls have been to the same area I'm in, even if there have been a couple where it carted me across the world.

Another weird thing that probably doesn't help the number of way of blue/blue sentinel interactions: If you're hollow at all the ring that summons you for protection doesn't work, because reasons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

Flynn's Ring (treasure in first DLC), provided you keep your equip load - and therefore vitality stat - low enough.

Is this actually good? I stripped down to nothing but my weapon and it only gave me like 5 extra attack power.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Flynn's Ring is based on your maximum equipment load, not your current equip load. For max bonus (+50 AR I think) you need to keep your max equip under 60.0.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Is this actually good? I stripped down to nothing but my weapon and it only gave me like 5 extra attack power.

It's based on your maximum equip load. Which is why he mentioned low Vit. 11 Vit w/o Third Dragon Ring or 9 with it for maximum bonus (+50 at 60.0 equip load).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flynn's Ring is one of the best in the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well that makes sense I guess. The description led me to believe it was based on your actual equip load, not your max.

God dammit From.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I wish there were more zones like Aldia's Keep, that place is awesome. Haunted looking mansions full of traps, horrible things and some awesome treasure are cool.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Power stance rapiers trivialize the entire base game except for Amana, which is trivialized by a good lightning bow.

Keep upgrading them and get the ring of blades and Leo ring, you'll be an unstoppable dps making GBS threads stun locking murder train

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Azuth0667 posted:

I wish there were more zones like Aldia's Keep, that place is awesome. Haunted looking mansions full of traps, horrible things and some awesome treasure are cool.

It'd be even better if it wasn't basically a straight corridor leading directly to the boss and the next area.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

gtrmp posted:

It'd be even better if it wasn't basically a straight corridor leading directly to the boss and the next area.

They let the FF13 team guest design that area.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they rejiggered faith at all? I loved playing Cleric in the early days of the game, and was considering rolling one for the DLC, but if miracles are still nerfed, then I might do another build.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They never buffed Lightning Spear if that's what you're asking. You can still use the support stuff just fine, lightning as an infusion is still good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, chucking lightning spears was fun. I might do it anyway. Maybe do some sort of FTH build with a lit. infused weapon and base stats to wield whatever it is (I'm leaning towards claymore).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AllisonByProxy posted:

They let the FF13 team guest design that area.

The extended cinematic sequence in which the Guardian Drake's life force returned to the planet was the most lucid part of Dark Souls 2's story

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

gtrmp posted:

Aldia's Keep was a cool idea but they didn't really take it far enough, it's built up to be like this big haunted manor where an ancient wizard lived and did hosed up experiments but it's pretty much a big, weirdly lit hallway with some side rooms containing recycled monsters. The traps are cool but the map could have been more ambitious in design.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

skasion posted:

Aldia's Keep was a cool idea but they didn't really take it far enough, it's built up to be like this big haunted manor where an ancient wizard lived and did hosed up experiments but it's pretty much a big, weirdly lit hallway with some side rooms containing recycled monsters. The traps are cool but the map could have been more ambitious in design.
Aldia's Keep feels like it was a test level where they were trying out a bunch of mechanics (lighting-based triggers that make you strike a balance between visibility and whatever the consequence is, getting enemies to interact with the level, mirror phantoms, special events like the dragon skeleton) all at once that somehow ended up being plopped into the main game with no modification. FoFG, Huntsman's Copse, and Aldia's were shown off a lot earlier than the rest of the game, and I think that comes through in a lot of ways.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FoFG is a strong start in terms of level design, though. Secrets and optional paths, shortcuts that link up organically, and reasons to return later.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aldia's Keep had the best trap in the game, and my favorite in the series. The double ogre doors were hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I died when the dragon bones fell on me.

...and then again on a different character.