Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Man, I totally forgot. Would've been a perfect time to replay the shareware version of ROTT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Last Sunday, Rise of the Triad also turned 20. If you're curious, Joe Siegler wrote a LOT of words about the game's development here.

Emptyquoting so this doesn't get lost on the last page.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Last Sunday, Rise of the Triad also turned 20. If you're curious, Joe Siegler wrote a LOT of words about the game's development here.

Speaking of: Play it tomorrow for a Christmas miracle! :sun:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

Hm. Just stock textures, using SW1COMM (though I did try another one that didn't work either). Thought it might be because I was in UDMF, so I tried normal Doom and I can't seem to reliably get switches working at all, and when I do the texture doesn't change.
Well, that's bizarre. I know that in Doom-in-Hexen format and up, you need to specify the means of how you're activating the switch explicitly ("Press Use On" and checking the flag for "Repeatable Action" as appropriate is roughly all you need to get Doom-style switches), but I'd imagine you've already done all that, in which case, given it's just a stock switch texture, it should be making the appropriate "clunk" and switching to SW2COMM... Weird.

catlord posted:

Is there a good text tutorial for GZDoom Builder? Just checking the Doom Builder site give me video tutorials, but they are both apparently outdated and I just can't stand video tutorials.
Not that I know of...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Mak0rz posted:

Speaking of: Play it tomorrow for a Christmas miracle! :sun:

It works today too!

edit: Sadly ROTT2013 doesn't have holiday stuff.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 24, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, that's bizarre. I know that in Doom-in-Hexen format and up, you need to specify the means of how you're activating the switch explicitly ("Press Use On" and checking the flag for "Repeatable Action" as appropriate is roughly all you need to get Doom-style switches), but I'd imagine you've already done all that, in which case, given it's just a stock switch texture, it should be making the appropriate "clunk" and switching to SW2COMM... Weird.

Hm. Well, here's my switch, in case anybody can see something I managed to screw up. I've compared it to other switches in other wads that work too, I'm at a loss. It's only supposed to get hit once and the door stays open.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Elliotw2 posted:

It's too bad that after the smart and adaptive bots of UT99/UT2k4 the UT3 bots are dumb as bricks and do normal AI cheating.

OTOH when the UT99 bots break they do so in hilariously stupid ways. This one Egypty map a friend found once, there was stairs they'd get trapped on. Run up the stairs, now it's closer to run down the stairs, now it's closer to run up the stairs... they start acting like Sims.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That and when there aren't enough players the bot flaws start showing up. Hyperblast 2 from UT2k4 is a good example map to demonstrate the other common issue. If there's just two players, the bot tends to get stuck in a small loop around the rear curved section, going up once it hits the center, then back down to go through the loop again. It's really noticeable if you do the campaign for the Xan duel.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

That and when there aren't enough players the bot flaws start showing up. Hyperblast 2 from UT2k4 is a good example map to demonstrate the other common issue. If there's just two players, the bot tends to get stuck in a small loop around the rear curved section, going up once it hits the center, then back down to go through the loop again. It's really noticeable if you do the campaign for the Xan duel.

Have you tried this in UT99? I've found that the UT99 bots tend to be a bit better at navigation than their UT2k4 counterparts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

edit: Sadly ROTT2013 doesn't have holiday stuff.
They DID, however, still redo the special holiday song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpCaMThnvdM

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That writeup by Joe Siegler is really interesting but one thing...

quote:

Marianna Vayntrub – After ROTT, she married Mark Dochtermann, and they have two kids, named Rhyme & Random.

:wtc:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
If they were more sensible, they would have named the second kid "Reason" and proceeded to make endless puns about how they couldn't live without "Rhyme and Reason".

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If they were more sensible, they would have named the second kid "Reason" and proceeded to make endless puns about how they couldn't live without "Rhyme and Reason".

That and they would need a dog named "Tock", and a boy named "Milo". :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The fact that they chose 'Random' shows they, truly, live without reason.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
In case anyone is interested, someone talked to the people who worked on In Pursuit of Greed and so The full CD release is available for free now. Not the most incredible thing to happen as of late, but it's still neat nonetheless.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 25, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Haha holy poo poo the Keen replacement in Demonsteele

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

catlord posted:

Hm. Well, here's my switch, in case anybody can see something I managed to screw up. I've compared it to other switches in other wads that work too, I'm at a loss. It's only supposed to get hit once and the door stays open.

Set the Linedef's Action to one of the following:

103 - Switch keeps door open, opening door at normal speed, usable once
112 - Switch keeps door open, door opens fast, usable once

Mind you I might be off because the last time I made a WAD was in the early 2000's and I was using WADED out of all things. :(

Also I think you need to make sure the switch texture is on the face that is facing the player (denoted by the little | on the line).

The texture should auto replace because it is hard coded to follow the texture names when Use Action is forced upon it.

Edit: I snapped up Doom Builder and tossed this together real fast:

Switch Wall

Door

Ignore textures, it's Xmas morning and I just slapped this together.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 25, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just try flipping the linedef, so that the switch texture is on the front.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Colon Semicolon posted:

In case anyone is interested, someone talked to the people who worked on In Pursuit of Greed and so The full CD release is available for free now. Not the most incredible thing to happen as of late, but it's still neat nonetheless.

Wow, this is very nice of the devs. Another FPS saved from total obscurity.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I vaguely remember playing the demo from a PC Format demo CD back in 1995 or whenever, seemed a pretty strange game. Glad it's out and open source anyway.

While I'm posting here, is there any chance of getting the OP updated with Strife's Steam page?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've decided to play through the entirety of Duke 3D: Nuclear Winter in one sitting every Christmas. This was my second time through.

It's still terrible.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Set the Linedef's Action to one of the following:

103 - Switch keeps door open, opening door at normal speed, usable once
112 - Switch keeps door open, door opens fast, usable once
This would work for vanilla or Boom format, but Doom-as-Hexen and UDMF use different, more-versatile action specials. Like, one "Door Open" special can be "Door Open (once)", "Door Open (repeatable)", "Door Open (fast)" or even more bizarre things like "Door Open (repeatable, 1 unit per tic, stays open exactly 15 minutes)" just by changing flags and parameters around. It's pretty handy.

The "flip the linedef" suggestion seems a likely culprit, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Ignore textures, it's Xmas morning and I just slapped this together.

Not a problem, thanks!

Cat Mattress posted:

Just try flipping the linedef, so that the switch texture is on the front.

That worked! Thank you!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A christmas Doom-ish miracle! The new (final?) version of Serpent: Resurrection is out now.

For those who haven't played it... well, you should. It's pretty much what Hexen was shooting for - semi-non-linear FPS/RPG hybrid - but fleshed out as far as the concept will go. It's the work of one guy over the better part of a decade.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 26, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Haha holy poo poo the Keen replacement in Demonsteele

:dukedog:

Also, merry Christmas, mates. Have an NES Zapper to do with as you please, and a quick ZDoom/Zandronum map to demonstrate it.
I'm not a good mapper.

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=zappermasterv3.pk3

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Level tunes for Greed are pretty bitchin' :clint: I'm getting Andrew Sega vibes from it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Level tunes for Greed are pretty bitchin' :clint: I'm getting Andrew Sega vibes from it.

"[i posted:

In Pursuit of Greed[/i] website"]Music for In Pursuit of Greed was also written by Andrew Sega. We own all rights to the game and the music. Some critics say the music was better than the game. Unfortunately, I tend to agree. =P

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
You guys got my attention.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I just ordered the three Descent novels.

I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. :ohdear:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Now get the 3 doom novels!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Well, now we know who's doing a book report for the class...

Marphitimus Blackimus continues to dig up all sorts of bizarre oddities on his YouTube channel. Gaze in awe at the invention of "Rail Grenades".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRMsBlro68

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SavageMessiah posted:

Now get the 3 doom novels!

I believe you mean 4 doom novels.... http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_novels

drat, I remember reading those and the first one wasn't so bad but the later ones.....

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
After completing the Descent and Doom novels, you should check out the Unreal novels. :v:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
And then y'all need to read my Blood fan fiction.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What about the Shadow Warrior novels?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

The Kins posted:

Well, now we know who's doing a book report for the class...

Marphitimus Blackimus continues to dig up all sorts of bizarre oddities on his YouTube channel. Gaze in awe at the invention of "Rail Grenades".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRMsBlro68

All the new things are cool, but that level design is awful! Still it's always nice to see stuff like this get dug up.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

catlord posted:

What about the Shadow Warrior novels?
I have the second one, but the first is too expensive to buy so I only have half of the riveting plotline that would of surely knocked Hemingway off of the map if only the books had reached a wider audience (and gotten a wider print)

The plot revolves around a mad scientist called Dr. Exo who plans to recreate Pangaea by creating a device that moves the continents back together again. The device that does this actually works. It gets one throw away line about how loving crazy that is. The rest of the book is about fighting animal hybrids.

By the climax of the book (Set in, where else, Uluru rock in Australia) the continents are apparently moving so fast together that the wind speed pushes people back. Lo wang gets to Australia via an airplane where all 3 pilots are called Bruce (I guess because all Australians are called Bruce? no idea) He fights Dr. Exo (who understandably is an animal hybrid of a dinosaur) finds out somebody else is apparently a plant-hybrid, and then saves the world but not before getting despondent because he gets a broken heart over some girl.

Oh yeah and he fights some Terrorists at the airport who of course have turbans wrapped around their heads (The book is just as tasteful and sensitive as the game)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jblade posted:

Lo wang gets to Australia via an airplane where all 3 pilots are called Bruce (I guess because all Australians are called Bruce? no idea)

Here ya go (sorry, phone posting)

http://youtu.be/_f_p0CgPeyA

Also, I just finished Joe Seigler's article on ROTT, and I loved it. I really would love a documentary or mini-series documentary all about the rise of first-person shooters. Someone should get this together, I'd kickstart it.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
How is Doom Classic Complete on PS3?

PSN is down right now so I don't even know how much they're charging for it, but assuming it's under $10, is there anything about that port that is particularly bad?

I'm planning in having my PS3 hooked up on my main plasma for a long time to come and just want an easy and direct way to play all the main Doom wads at a moment's lull.

I trust you fuckers over YouTube vids and IGN reviews about how it handles resolution scaling and framerate and control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I like using Steam's tile view for my library so I made a custom banner for Demonsteele.