Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

calling a dispatcher to send a cab basically never works even if you're white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my condo has a dedicated red phone that works great but that's a pretty garbage solution

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20141225_Uber_slapped_with_suit_by_45_city_taxi_companies.html

"Not since the days of bootlegging has there been a criminal enterprise so brazen and open as to attract hundreds of millions of dollars in investment from investment bankers and to operate in blatant violation of federal and state law as Uber," reads the complaint. The case was filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

i mean, they've got a reasonable case, but i wouldn't compare uber to a criminal enterprise that was legalized by a constitutional amendment a few years after it got big because people liked it so much

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AWWNAW posted:

learn to not mumble

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I don't understand why uber is so bad fundamentally. its just a jitney for rich white people. what's wrong with jitneys

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

I don't understand why uber is so bad fundamentally. its just a jitney for rich white people. what's wrong with jitneys

the form of jitney you're thinking of is the one that is an illegal because the operators are completely shady and not inspected at all. that's definitely uber.

the good kind of jitney tends to have other names now, and operated as informal vaguely routed bus lines, with people getting on and off throughout a drive. those served a useful purpose.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
merry christmas fishmech, you're awesome and yospos wouldnt be the same without you

ccs: i talked mrs into shots. she does not normally drink hardly at all. this owns haha

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think miami has an official taxi app for the whole city. it lets you choose either the closest taxi or you can specify a specific company. it's provided at no charge and is open to anyone operating a taxi so long as they meet the licensing requirements. miami even invited uber to register and be listed in the app but they refused.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think miami has an official taxi app for the whole city. it lets you choose either the closest taxi or you can specify a specific company. it's provided at no charge and is open to anyone operating a taxi so long as they meet the licensing requirements. miami even invited uber to register and be listed in the app but they refused.

too bad once it's all said and done, you're in Miami

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

then you have called a lovely dispatcher, find a local place who will be more likely to pick you up than one across town

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

roboticized fast food places are gonna be weird

nice and clean though, just turn the place into an autoclave after closing

of course since that costs power and wouldn't let them operate 24/7 it'd have to be imposed by r-r-regulations!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Verdafolio posted:

a drat shame that hailo left the US market. is there any other app that lets me hail green or yellow cabs?

I've used Curb (formerly Taxi Magic) for this in the Bay Area, it works a lot like Uber but with cabs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

ccs: i talked mrs into shots. she does not normally drink hardly at all. this owns haha

this can only end well

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Jonny 290 posted:

merry christmas fishmech, you're awesome and yospos wouldnt be the same without you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

eschaton posted:

this can only end well

*eyebrows literally pop off from waggling*

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

gd where were you yesterday this would been perfect for the vid i just made

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

then you have called a lovely dispatcher, find a local place who will be more likely to pick you up than one across town

researching local cab companies is not what I want to do when I fly into a strange city. yes you can always get a cab from an airport, it's the next destinations that can be obnoxious

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

i often think that if all regulations were lifted and it was a true laissez faire market, the average life expectancy would be around 50 except for the JOBCREATORS who would live for thousands of years like the skeksis

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Necc0 posted:

gd where were you yesterday this would been perfect for the vid i just made

let's see the video

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

researching local cab companies is not what I want to do when I fly into a strange city. yes you can always get a cab from an airport, it's the next destinations that can be obnoxious

rent a car, manchild who can not handling googling for cab companies or literally talking to a person like a hotel clerk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rexicon1 posted:

i often think that if all regulations were lifted and it was a true laissez faire market, the average life expectancy would be around 50 except for the JOBCREATORS who would live for thousands of years like the skeksis

can u imagine a 260 year old donald trump haha

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

hobbesmaster posted:

if these people speak english you have no excuse. did you even leave your country

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
oh lmfao you're speaking in hypotheticals

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

can u imagine a 260 year old donald trump haha

it owns that donald trump has been a massive failure his entire life but is still rich

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

vapid cutlery posted:

let's see the video

it's a dumb cs vid that you can find in the counter-strike: global-offensive thread if you're so inclined

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

it owns that donald trump has been a massive failure his entire life but is still rich

family wealth best wealth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

like he's seriously the D+ student of all the billionaires. still loving loaded

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he's only loaded in an entirely technical sense. his sister bailed him out numerous times and is the only reason he's not a washed up clerk at jos. a bank

literally an irl lebowski

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
even if you have a paltry sum as far as rich retards go you don't really have to worry about necessities for the rest of your life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah once housing/utilities/transportation cease to be a thing you Worry about your life changes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

oh lmfao you're speaking in hypotheticals

wait an hour in the rain for a cab that dispatch says is definitely coming just once and you'll be angry for life

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

luckily because it was raining in NYC all flights were delayed so nbd!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

wait an hour in the rain for a cab that dispatch says is definitely coming just once and you'll be angry for life

call a different company, child

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

hobbesmaster posted:

i would probably have either called a town car to begin with, called another cab, or looked at transit options

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Necc0 posted:

family wealth best wealth

followed closely by only minimally investing your own hoard in whatever project you're pursuing, instead convincing others to put up the majority on name/brand recognition so you have some marks to hold the bag for you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
which should i visit next: venice, sweden, or NYC

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i heard venice was p much a dump

sweden sounds dope

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

vapid cutlery posted:

which should i visit next: venice, sweden, or NYC

how white and how rich are you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nah, uber is probably (unfortunately) the best bet if you're taking a cab while traveling and off the beaten path and for some reason can't ask anyone what a good car service is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

PCjr sidecar posted:

how white and how rich are you

im really white but im not rich, but i have no dependents and disposable income

• Locked thread