Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gamma NotGundam? That'd be acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

3 posted:

In an episode full of ridiculous and amazing (:haw:) moments, I don't know why this one stood out the most for me.

My favorite part is that the bike's side car is basically an SD version of the ridiculous red convertible from Char's deleted affair. Because of course it is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He will get a Zeta customized to look like a Re-GZ.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In this case there was a thing they already were trying to prove and they didnt want it to be muddled by any inconsistencies that could be re-interpreted. In Yuuma's case it was specifically his failings as a pilot (and not even that, it was just his trauma causing him to not play properly). In Fumina's case its a failing of her model (or the ideology that lead her to make a model like that in the first place) and fighting skill wasn't directly being tested in that fight. Having her use anything but an SD would have muddied that lesson.

This is what I was getting at with my earlier comment about how they would have needed to spend a story beat clarifying it. It's not that HG vs. SD not being an uneven matchup based simply on proportions would be an alien idea or something hard to get across. All they would have had to do for that is the common spectator conversation between a newbie and a pro - "Isn't the SD at a disadvantage?" "No, it's more than that :words: "

However, they would have had to restructure the episode and the scene itself to accommodate this, with no benefit compared to the elegant solution of going as simple and clear as possible with the SD vs. SD battle.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Sugita clearly gets a Huckebein.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The End is literally the edgiest thing ever created.

Why do I love it so much?!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I would laugh and then get a little sad if the Jigen Haoh master completely fails to recognize Sekai. Between Adou Saga and Lady Kawaguchi, it'd complete the trifecta of characters whose mere existence were pivotal to Team Try.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
sekai's master is actually sei in a dorky g gundam cosplay

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's Domon after punching his way across dimensions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lessail posted:

I'd actually love this to death. :allears:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Kanos posted:

I'd actually love this to death. :allears:

It has been my personal hope since the very beginning.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lessail posted:

Alternatively:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sooo... what did Yuuki mean by "I'm being taken care of by your sister", anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

sooo... what did Yuuki mean by "I'm being taken care of by your sister", anyway?

I think it was just a polite way of saying that China had helped him out before/was a friend.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm struggling to recall when that might have happened.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm struggling to recall when that might have happened.

It's pretty safe to assume it happened offscreen unless he was referring to her (incredibly minor) part in rescuing him in the first series.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

She helped him hijack that bike.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Maybe Yuuki just bums around Sei/China's place for meals and what not. I doubt Allan can cook.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe Yuuki just bums around Sei/China's place for meals and what not. I doubt Allan can cook.

"Hey guys, can I get dinner off you? I... I spent my Meijin paycheck on Gunpla again... Yes, all of it..." :negative:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hey guys, can I get dinner off you? I... I spent my Meijin paycheck on Gunpla again... Yes, all of it..." :negative:.

I can't imagine any situation where that wouldn't make Sei go "come in, my friend."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine any situation where that wouldn't make Sei go "come in, my friend."

What if China is over and Sei left the Build Mk. II hanging on the door knob?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

chumbler posted:

Please, the Mk. II is sitting in an attic at the old Gunpla store. It's a Char mask on the doorknob, if anything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's all the Build Mk II is good for now, isn't it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint about Yuuki is that he's continued on with Gundams instead of Zeon customs. The Zaku Amazing and Kampfer Amazing were better, dammit :bahgawd:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Alternatively:

I looked at this for like a full minute going "who is that" and then it slowly dawned on me and I went :aaaaa:.

An acceptable compromise to Sei dressed up like Domon Kasshu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Are you implying there is a universe where Sei considers something more important than Gunpla?

Sei's dad left his loving wife and young child at home to go around the world promoting Gunpla and solving Gunpla crimes and Sei is if anything even more a giant dork than his dad.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well maybe if Yuuki slummed it at their apartment in france while he was doing some promotional poo poo up there once.

I would so watch a series of Sei and Yuki, gunpla hobos.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

Are you implying there is a universe where Sei considers something more important than Gunpla?

Sei's dad left his loving wife and young child at home to go around the world promoting Gunpla and solving Gunpla crimes and Sei is if anything even more a giant dork than his dad.

Notably, at the end of the episode where Reiji and Aila got drafted into Takeshi Iori's Gunpla Boot Camp, Sei notices the snips Reiji got and realizes that his dad was in town and that instead of coming to see him at the World Tournament, he chose to spread the joy of building Gunpla to random strangers.

And his reaction to this realization was basically, "My dad is AWESOME!"

linall
Feb 1, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Notably, at the end of the episode where Reiji and Aila got drafted into Takeshi Iori's Gunpla Boot Camp, Sei notices the snips Reiji got and realizes that his dad was in town and that instead of coming to see him at the World Tournament, he chose to spread the joy of building Gunpla to random strangers.

And his reaction to this realization was basically, "My dad is AWESOME!"

Probably because, "My dad is a shitbag" wouldn't have fit with the overall tone of the show.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
"There's only one man in this world who uses those mass-produced nippers!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume Lady got the Kawaguchi title through arm wrestling, because drat she's got some arms by this series' standards.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I kinda think the last person on the Meijin's team might actually be Sei. I mean, they're bringing back enough characters, so unless the show is just going to deliberately leave out all our previous protagonists, it would be the best thing.

Also, I still want the turn-∀-meijin. *pout*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone else noticed there's been a real dearth of Booster Packs this time round? By this point there was about five or six of the things in Build Fighters, but so far all we've gotten is the Powered Arms Powereder and Ez-Arms. I liked the Boosters :sigh:.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone else noticed there's been a real dearth of Booster Packs this time round? By this point there was about five or six of the things in Build Fighters, but so far all we've gotten is the Powered Arms Powereder and Ez-Arms. I liked the Boosters :sigh:.
Not that I disagree but the lightning back weapon system is technically a booster,

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Has anyone else discussed "gunpla stats"

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Total Intensity is clearly the most important stat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it's kinda wasted potential that Fumi revealed she could self-use her own booster launcher in a battle she was going to lose no matter what.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I think it's kinda wasted potential that Fumi revealed she could self-use her own booster launcher in a battle she was going to lose no matter what.

To be honest it just kinda drove home how nonsensical the Winning Launcher is. Apparently you can shove literally anything into the slot and it fires a beam of the same intensity which sort of weakens the point of it being something to compensate for Yuu's weaknesses. Theoretically Sekai could punch into it and then shoot laser punches depending on if Jigen Haoh particle manipulation counts as a beam. It would sort of be funny if Fumina's upgrade was basically her going 'wait, poo poo, my robot is absurdly powerful why am I not using that?" I'm really hoping that is what it is and we kinda see the end of the Winning Road here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 25, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

\Theoretically Sekai could punch into it and then shoot laser punches depending on if Jigen Haoh particle manipulation counts as a beam.

Sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

The entire point of that scene is that she can't effectively use it herself because it's too unwieldy for the Winning to handle. That's why it was sweeping the beam around everywhere initially and why Fumina and the Winning looked like they were struggling to get the drat thing on target. That's why Lady mocked her gunpla as disgraceful, because Fumina designed in weapons and equipment that she herself can't even really use when she needs to.

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest it just kinda drove home how nonsensical the Winning Launcher is. Apparently you can shove literally anything into the slot and it fires a beam of the same intensity which sort of weakens the point of it being something to compensate for Yuu's weaknesses. Theoretically Sekai could punch into it and then shoot laser punches depending on if Jigen Haoh particle manipulation counts as a beam. It would sort of be funny if Fumina's upgrade was basically her going 'wait, poo poo, my robot is absurdly powerful why am I not using that?" I'm really hoping that is what it is and we kinda see the end of the Winning Road here.

She shoved the Winning's beam rifle into the launcher, not just a random part, so presumably it just boosts already existing beam rifles and such. As for Fumina's upgrade, I think it pretty much has to be along those lines. I don't really see a point to that entire scene if Fumina's big takeaway revelation wasn't "Wait, maybe I should actually build a gunpla that can fight instead of a literal parts dispenser for my teammates", because there's pretty much no other lesson to be learned from that fight.

• Locked thread