Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TEHJOE posted:

I've heard that Mario Party GBA was surprisingly good. Is that a genuine good or more of a good considering it's a Mario Party game?

Unfortunately, it's considered the absolute worst in the series. It has the lowest average review score on GameRankings out of all MP games ever released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

TEHJOE posted:

I've heard that Mario Party GBA was surprisingly good. Is that a genuine good or more of a good considering it's a Mario Party game?

Mario Party Advance is terrible by Mario Party standards.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You see, Mario Party is a game about loving over people, and if you're playing a GBA version of said game you are only loving over yourself. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TEHJOE posted:

It's fuckin garbage and there's no real multiplayer mode. If you want to play multiplayer on it, you need to print out a good scan of the bonus board that came with the actual cartridge and use the game as a dice block and minigame thing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The other ones are mostly pointless, but I'd buy the Super Mario Advance version of SMB3 if it had the eReader levels and stuff unlocked.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Box of Bunnies posted:

The other ones are mostly pointless

SMA3 (Yoshi's Island) has a bunch of new levels not found in the SNES version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

less laughter posted:

That one is already on the eShop. All the Advance games have some things that the originals didn't have but it still doesn't make up for cropped screen view and lovely sound.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bring the snes and gba poo poo to the 3ds already nintendo!! :negative:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a reason we haven't been getting GBA games on the 3DS yet

http://www.vooks.net/why-the-game-boy-advance-isnt-on-the-3ds-virtual-console/

quote:

As it stands, Virtual Console games are essentially a dumped ROM wrapped in a specially coded emulator that Nintendo tweak for each game. That’s why most Virtual Console games are roughly the same size and usually much larger than a raw ROM dump of the game itself. This seems like a race but it’s a almost zealous level of consistency and authenticity that Nintendo want to bring to their classic games.

The Game Boy Advance games offered as part of the Ambassador program on the 3DS aren’t this they’re litterally just ROMs running on a simulated Game Boy Advance on 3DS hardware.

Now fast forward to the Nintendo 3DS, it too has a couple of CPUs. It has it’s larger, dual core CPU in it as well as a smaller CPU which is, for all intents and purposes, a “Nintendo DS chip” and is the prime reason why the 3DS can play DS games perfectly – it’s actually is a Nintendo DS. Well, it’s clocked at the same speed as a Nintendo DSi, so it’s technically closer to one of those.

And if you haven’t already guessed it, guess what, that chip can also be down-clocked to play Game Boy Advance games, so it’s not emulating the hardware – it’s simulating it. This is the reason the 3DS Home menu can’t be reached during the Game Boy Advance Ambassador games, nor the other system functions like the Friends List, Miiverse or Internet Browser. Why is this? Because the CPU is now playing Game Boy Advance games, usually that CPU is performing background tasks like powering the wireless on or checking your friends list to notify you when they come online. While it’s being used as a Game Boy Advance – it can’t do anything else at all.

So what’s a Virtual Console title worth without a sleep mode, save states, customisable controls, a digital manual and possibly even multiplayer? Well, nothing, and that’s why Nintendo gave them away for free to the ambassador program participants. You might want to play Metroid Fusion on your 3DS, but Nintendo won’t, and probably don’t want to, sell it to you like it is right now.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

less laughter posted:

That's why I said "mostly." The additions to Mario 2 and Mario World aren't as substantial, and Yoshi's Island Advance seems to be a necessity to putting the game out at all since the SNES original never went up on the Wii VC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's a reason we haven't been getting GBA games on the 3DS yet

http://www.vooks.net/why-the-game-boy-advance-isnt-on-the-3ds-virtual-console/
Yeah, exactly what everybody's been saying for like 3 years, hot scoop.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, exactly what everybody's been saying for like 3 years, hot scoop.

Yeah, but people don't seem to understand or care and just keep demanding Nintendo put out stuff they probably shouldn't.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's why I said "mostly." The additions to Mario 2 and Mario World aren't as substantial, and Yoshi's Island Advance seems to be a necessity to putting the game out at all since the SNES original never went up on the Wii VC.

I wonder what it is about the Super FX chip that makes it so complicated to emulate properly. Oh well.

I'm more annoyed that the Japanese Wii U eShop has PC Engine games while there are no TurboGrafx games out west yet. Got a shitload of TG-16 games I'd be down with carrying over.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mercury Crusader posted:

I wonder what it is about the Super FX chip that makes it so complicated to emulate properly. Oh well.

I'm more annoyed that the Japanese Wii U eShop has PC Engine games while there are no TurboGrafx games out west yet. Got a shitload of TG-16 games I'd be down with carrying over.

Probably because, like any piece of hardware like that, everything coded for it's a complete hackjob.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Mario 2 edits in the Advance version (I think is Advance Mario 1) are actually pretty substantial and nice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, but people don't seem to understand or care and just keep demanding Nintendo put out stuff they probably shouldn't.

I get what you posted. Ok, so they should wrap those gba games in a 3ds compatible emulator then, that would allow it to work like a normal 3ds game. Same with snes games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always figured they were restricting GBA/SNES games to Wii U to give people another reason to buy it

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get what you posted. Ok, so they should wrap those gba games in a 3ds compatible emulator then, that would allow it to work like a normal 3ds game. Same with snes games

That's easier said than done. They just might not be able to write an emulator that could do what they need it to do with high performance.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They might put GBA games on the 3DS VC as New3DS exclusives

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you read the article you'd realize that's much easier said than done.

less laughter posted:

They might put GBA games on the 3DS VC as New3DS exclusives

People keep saying that and hoping but considering nothing official or unofficially floated was said people shouldn't get their hopes up JUST YET.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Im not sure why they have the emulator packed with every game. Why not make the emulators part of the systems and update them accordingly? You'd save space not downloading the same code again with every rom.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Echophonic posted:

Probably because, like any piece of hardware like that, everything coded for it's a complete hackjob.

I seem to remember reading something about that in regards to the Sega Saturn's weird hardware poo poo that makes it extremely difficult to emulate. That makes sense in that case.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

greatn posted:

Im not sure why they have the emulator packed with every game. Why not make the emulators part of the systems and update them accordingly? You'd save space not downloading the same code again with every rom.

I think it's because they have the emulator tailored to play that specific game and to make sure that the experience would be as close to playing it on the original hardware as possible. There might be issues with some of the other wrapper stuff you expect from a VC game - like the manual and poo poo, but I don't know about that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think it's because they have the emulator tailored to play that specific game and to make sure that the experience would be as close to playing it on the original hardware as possible. There might be issues with some of the other wrapper stuff you expect from a VC game - like the manual and poo poo, but I don't know about that.

I'm almost certain this is it. Like, with some homebrew tools, you can inject roms into various VC games to have them run, such as Snowboard Kids 2 into Ocarina of Time, but chances are, the injected rom won't work because the emulator you just put it in isn't compatible with it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm almost certain this is it. Like, with some homebrew tools, you can inject roms into various VC games to have them run, such as Snowboard Kids 2 into Ocarina of Time, but chances are, the injected rom won't work because the emulator you just put it in isn't compatible with it.

Back in the Xbox 360 days, when they were doing compatibility profiles for Xbox games, there would be times where the update would include games like "Barbie's Pony Adventure" or something similar that chances are, core gamers who cared about backwards compatibility wouldn't care about.

What happened was basically they got one game working, and then they discovered it also allowed people to play these other games, so we got them as freebies.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

I seem to remember reading something about that in regards to the Sega Saturn's weird hardware poo poo that makes it extremely difficult to emulate. That makes sense in that case.

Yeah, it is, which I why I miss GameTap from their glory days. They had a PC Saturn emulator that actually managed to run Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 with good performance(it was in browser too IIRC). Then they sold to Metaboli who proceeded to poo poo on the company's relationships with every major publisher and they lost all their old school emulated Sega games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two pre-xmas reminders:

-The Digital Deluxe promotion ends on December 31, so this'll be your last week to earn reward points from digital purchases.

-OG Tetris and Tetris Axis (the Konami/Hudson version) are being delisted at the end of the year, so if you were ever interested in owning them you'd better get 'em soon

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
By OG Tetris you mean the GB one or was there a different version as well?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I figured Game Boy Tetris would get de-listed eventually what with the new one out and all. Even with all these newer Tetris games being released, I still enjoy the Game Boy one the most.

It's too bad EA doesn't seem to want anything to do with the Wii U anymore because I'd like to see SNES SimCity on the Wii U Virtual Console, but alas.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

By OG Tetris you mean the GB one or was there a different version as well?

Yup, GB Tetris.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

ChaosArgate posted:

It's fuckin garbage and there's no real multiplayer mode. If you want to play multiplayer on it, you need to print out a good scan of the bonus board that came with the actual cartridge and use the game as a dice block and minigame thing.

There's a 100-player hotseat multiplayer

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

There's a 100-player hotseat multiplayer

Don't tempt me with something so insane that I want to actually put down money for this!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Hm. Well I already own more than enough Tetris (The one with Dr. Mario on the SNES) but I could always use more VC games.

Its only like $3-$4 anyway,

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Holy poo poo how long has Darksiders II been 8 bucks on the Wii U shop? That's a ridiculous price and I am absolutely going to pick it up for that cheap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How big is Darksiders II? I'm guessing I don't have room for it since I have G&W, SLU and Pikmin 3 on my HD but maybe I can squeeze it in if it is small enough.

From Nintendo's site I am led to believe I cannot gift DLC, is there any way around that? It'd be nice to give my cousins the Mario Kart DLC and still get DD points.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
RIP Nintendo eShop. It was nice while it lasted.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Echophonic posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person. I just transfered some stuff around to use a bigger SD card and had a panic moment. What godless timezone/country is blocking things up at 1am?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Echophonic posted:

What's this, then?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Fooley posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person. I just transfered some stuff around to use a bigger SD card and had a panic moment. What godless timezone/country is blocking things up at 1am?

It is currenty 5pm in the more civilised Australian timezones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Echophonic posted:

Haha oh no, I told my Aunt to set up their Wii U the night before to avoid this, I hope she got around to it early.