Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

awesome-express posted:

Why don't you want to move to Russia?

Because it would mean actually living in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm wondering why you don't just immigrate to Russia? Your euros would stretch pretty far there. Or is it just easier to laud a backwards nation from the safety of Evil Western Capitalist Pig prosperity?

He really should. For all the poo poo we talk about Russia, I plan on moving back as soon as the government gets overthrown, even if it's only a palace coup. Russia is like America in that many of its harshest critics are people who love it for what it could be but are disappointed by what it is.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 25, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am American and regularly go to Russia for work all the time. I think it would be hard to life in the smaller cities simply because after Moscow/St.Petersburg there is a pretty steep slide in quality of life and simply anything to do.

Moscow has got some selling points to it and if you want to be cynical, if your a Western it is actually quite inexpensive at this point for an major international city. That said many Russians themselves don't consider Moscow "part of Russia" and they have a fair point.

I don't know if Mightypeon is a Russian citizen and how old he is, if he is in his twenties he might be dragged out of the airport and put on a truck to boot camp if he isn't careful.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 25, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I vaguely remember MightyPeon posting that he illegally left USSR and has served in armed forces of GDR, so one would guess that for some stay which isn't a casual travel affair he might simply run into legal issues.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

I vaguely remember MightyPeon posting that he illegally left USSR and has served in armed forces of GDR, so one would guess that for some stay which isn't a casual travel affair he might simply run into legal issues.

Wait, that would make him at least 45, wouldn't it? A grown-rear end man thinks this poo poo? :psyduck:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Mighty peon is an old russian dude, everything about him makes sense now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ardennes posted:

Moscow has got some selling points to it and if you want to be cynical, if your a Western it is actually quite inexpensive at this point for an major international city. That said many Russians themselves don't consider Moscow "part of Russia" and they have a fair point.
Last time I was in Moscow it was ludicrously expensive to do anything. It was amazing watching everything take a 50+% dive in price as soon as you left the city. I have no idea how Russians actually managed to live there.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Smerdyakov posted:

America isn't like Russia in that many of its harshest critics are corpses.

Fixed this for you with the primary distinction between America and Russia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Last time I was in Moscow it was ludicrously expensive to do anything. It was amazing watching everything take a 50+% dive in price as soon as you left the city. I have no idea how Russians actually managed to live there.

I think it depends on what you want to do, but compared to Washington DC or London it seemed reasonable even before the crash (in DC, paying $10-12 dollars for a cocktail is fairly normal and renting for a room in basement in NW DC is around $1200-1300 at this point ). It wasn't a cheap city by any means but it is just far more expensive for average Russians who have to live there who get paid honestly garbage. It is going to be a real crunch now because rents are going to go up and salaries are most likely going to lag.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
You guys are silly. Before the RUB crash, Moscow was much more expensive than any US city, except maybe New York. Rent was incredibly expensive if you want to be anywhere near the center (Manhattan prices), beer was impossible to find for less than $10/pint at a bar, and restaurants were Manhattan-priced, except much lower quality and with lower variety.

Living in Moscow sucks, and I don't recommend it to anyone. The city is very spread out, and even though the transit system is massive, it still takes forever to get to where you want to go. St. Petersburg, on the other hand, is a decent city.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pissingintowind posted:

restaurants were Manhattan-priced, except much lower quality and with lower variety.
I confess it's been a little while since I was in Moscow, but iirc Cafe Mu-Mu was pretty okay both in terms of price and quality. Not like lobster-and-caviar lavish quality or anything, but certainly a step up from a roadside shashlik stand and even pretty okay when compared to McDonald's and that lot.

Prices in general seemed higher than in non-Moscovite Russia, but only to the same degree that Chicago is compared to rural Illinois.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Craciun Fericit pentru toti fratii mei din Europa de Est!

Merry Christmas to all my bros from Eastern Europe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKMKrDTj-0M

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

You guys are silly. Before the RUB crash, Moscow was much more expensive than any US city, except maybe New York. Rent was incredibly expensive if you want to be anywhere near the center (Manhattan prices), beer was impossible to find for less than $10/pint at a bar, and restaurants were Manhattan-priced, except much lower quality and with lower variety.

Living in Moscow sucks, and I don't recommend it to anyone. The city is very spread out, and even though the transit system is massive, it still takes forever to get to where you want to go. St. Petersburg, on the other hand, is a decent city.

I can say that isn't honestly true, the prices I was paying were routinely $6-8 for even imported beer and Russian beer could be had for around $4-5 and sometimes down to $2-3 at places if looked around. Kamchatka bar (right by the Bolshoi) was 80 rubles a beer before the crash. You could pay 10 dollars a beer but it would be in place that looked like it would cost that anywhere else. Rent is roughly around the price of an American city for comparable location, it got really pricey directly in the center but as I said, it wasn't DC expensive. The public transportation systems if far better than any comparable American city, and the city really isn't spread out if you compare it to LA. Therefore, if you find a place by a metro stop, you are pretty set. Either way, in Moscow, you don't need a car and if anything a car is a liability (looking at the traffic).

If you want a quiet town that has nice museums and cafes with a European vibe to it, St.Petersburg was fine. It just seemed sleepy but that is a personal preference.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 25, 2014

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

3peat posted:

Celebrating Christmas based on this newfangled Gregorian calendar? What's the world coming to!? (I do hope everyone here has a wonderful time, whatever holidays they are or aren't celebrating, based on whatever calendar is applicable. Even the rostrollnadzor employees).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

3peat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BfhG2pEwY4

Edit: In Crimean news, IT industry sees a decline due to US sanctions. Amongst other things, e-mails like the following are being sent out by oDesk and similar companies:

quote:

Abby Tyo, Dec 24 05:13 AM:
Dear Rodion,

We are disappointed to notify you that due to a United States Executive Order, issued December 19th, we are required to close your account, along with the accounts of all clients and freelancers in Crimea. If you no longer reside in Crimea, please respond to this email, as this restriction only applies to individuals residing in Crimea, not all of Ukraine.

It is greatly unfortunate that American companies and individuals are now prohibited from operating with Crimean based parties, but we regretfully must comply with this new law and have temporarily closed your oDesk account.

The most difficult and negative impact of this executive order is that we are required to hold any funds in your oDesk account while you reside in Crimea. In order to release the funds to you, please reply to this email with a notarized written statement that you no longer reside in Crimea, a non-Crimean photo identification copy and a payment method (not located in Crimea) where we could transfer the funds. We will also notify any clients you are currently working with on oDesk.

We sincerely hope that we can work with you again in the future. oDesk is in the process of applying for a special license to operate in Crimea but these are rarely granted and may take several months to obtain. In the meantime, we wish you the very best in your endeavors.

Kind regards,
oDesk Customer Service

Found interesting twitter account @sevastopol_info. It's pro-Ukrainian twitter page that seems to have a single purpose of reading and reposting stuff from pro-Russian Crimean forums.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 25, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

kalstrams posted:

Found interesting twitter account @sevastopol_info. It's pro-Ukrainian twitter page that seems to have a single purpose of reading and reposting stuff from pro-Russian Crimean forums.

Please share the best ones. :allears:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Please share the best ones. :allears:
I just discovered it myself, so not much for now, but it gets to all levels of crazy including proposals to write Obama a letter to say that they don't care about his sanctions and to ask all Crimea to be sanctioned with non-entry stuff some of the Russian politicians got. Another crazier one was with proposal to make paid entrance to Sevastopol, $150 per ticket, with motivation "poors are not welcome here".

Rest is different shades of misery and fascist-levels of Russian nationalism. :smith:

I'll post more once I read more stuff there.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

drilldo squirt posted:

Mighty peon is an old russian dude, everything about him makes sense now.

kalstrams posted:

If you can stomach the imageboard experience, 2ch.hk/po has regular Crimean schadenfreude threads. Not sure if those threads or this twitter do screencaps first.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Ardennes posted:

I can say that isn't honestly true, the prices I was paying were routinely $6-8 for even imported beer and Russian beer could be had for around $4-5 and sometimes down to $2-3 at places if looked around. Kamchatka bar (right by the Bolshoi) was 80 rubles a beer before the crash. You could pay 10 dollars a beer but it would be in place that looked like it would cost that anywhere else. Rent is roughly around the price of an American city for comparable location, it got really pricey directly in the center but as I said, it wasn't DC expensive. The public transportation systems if far better than any comparable American city, and the city really isn't spread out if you compare it to LA. Therefore, if you find a place by a metro stop, you are pretty set. Either way, in Moscow, you don't need a car and if anything a car is a liability (looking at the traffic).

If you want a quiet town that has nice museums and cafes with a European vibe to it, St.Petersburg was fine. It just seemed sleepy but that is a personal preference.

Maybe your standards are lower, but comparing like-to-like apartments and restaurants is not even close - Moscow is hands down more expensive and a worse value for what you're paying (pre RUB fall, but even now to a certain degree).

I can't speak to LA, but SF, Boston, and NYC are all more walkable cities by far.

For the record, I currently live in Moscow and have been for the past year and a half. Maybe things were different before.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pissingintowind posted:

Maybe your standards are lower, but comparing like-to-like apartments and restaurants is not even close - Moscow is hands down more expensive and a worse value for what you're paying (pre RUB fall, but even now to a certain degree).

I can't speak to LA, but SF, Boston, and NYC are all more walkable cities by far.

For the record, I currently live in Moscow and have been for the past year and a half. Maybe things were different before.

Anywhere in the CIS you go to it isn't going to be quite the same standard, but I at least in my experience wasn't really paying that differently than I was in the states for comparable housing. You are right though, Russian housing in general is going to be rougher than in the US especially in hallways/stairways. However, I lived in some pretty lovely places in DC, paying way more than I should (Chicago to a less onerous amount), but yes I could drink the tap water.

SF I know just doesn't have anywhere the depth of the mass transit system that Moscow does, and Boston either for the most part. I don't know if I could live in the Bay Area or Boston in the same way without a car. NYC is the usual comparison but even then there are sacrifices you have to make living in NYC and to be honest I thought walking in Moscow is easier than New York simply from the standpoint of sidewalk space and greenspace.

I just left Moscow in November and having lived there on and off for the last year and a half. I thought the "myth of Moscow" was overblown especially if your a Western. Moscow actually has surprising about of green space and Soviet era planning as much it is maligned, left green areas around apartments that doesn't exist really in American cities in the same way. Also, most Moscow if not Russian shops seem comparably more diversely stocked in basic foods than Bodegas or an American convenience stores (of course the crisis is going to change this in some ways). St.Petersburg obviously shares that similarity but it is was just one a significantly smaller scale.

Obviously if you're Russian it is going to be really hard to live there, costs and wages are completely out of whack. Also, it is easy to have a very different experience since I had friends help me find me an apartment, I cook for myself and I don't have a car. Admittedly, I did go out frequently but not to the most expensive restaurants and clubs.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 25, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It sucks the people of Crimea got invaded and then had a sham election and are now being punished for it.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
I don't really get the hate towards Mightypeon. Although he is biased, he tries to argue his point from the perspective of the Russian elite and I find his comments very interesting at times. He has kept emotional posting/outright trolling to a minimum, especially compared to the level of crazy you see from the Putin's internet army.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
:frogsiren: Putin imposes price controls :frogsiren:

...for Vodka :ussr:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Insert obvious joke about the Russian population being too drunk to notice how the economy is crumbling around them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhYeah posted:

Insert obvious joke about the Russian population being too drunk to notice how the economy is crumbling around them.

It is more or less the go to answer to keeping the populace quiet for a while, expect male life expectancy to take a sudden inexplicable drop.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

OhYeah posted:

I don't really get the hate towards Mightypeon. Although he is biased, he tries to argue his point from the perspective of the Russian elite and I find his comments very interesting at times. He has kept emotional posting/outright trolling to a minimum, especially compared to the level of crazy you see from the Putin's internet army.
If you are from a nation neighbouring Russia, especially one that has suffered ethnic cleansing under their rule, then he is truly infuriating. Gee I wonder if the Estonians care that France once did something that retroactively justifies something else. He gives no agency to anyone except the nebulous "West" - not even Russia - and, worse yet, is a coward living in Germany. Hes a hypocrite, coward and an apologist for war and human suffering.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

El Perkele posted:

If you are from a nation neighbouring Russia, especially one that has suffered ethnic cleansing under their rule, then he is truly infuriating. Gee I wonder if the Estonians care that France once did something that retroactively justifies something else. He gives no agency to anyone except the nebulous "West" - not even Russia - and, worse yet, is a coward living in Germany. Hes a hypocrite, coward and an apologist for war and human suffering.

I am from a country that was brutally invaded, occupied and colonized by the Russians for half a century. I understand there is a lot to critizise in his posts but there are interesting and valuable bits as well. I make no value judgements towards him, because at the moment that is beside the point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Perkele posted:

If you are from a nation neighbouring Russia, especially one that has suffered ethnic cleansing under their rule, then he is truly infuriating.

So basically you're saying that you cannot discuss Russia without frothing at the mouth? What I can't really understand is what is Lucia Heartfilias problem. Isn't he a Brazilian?

Mightypeon is a good poster. DnD regularly shits on posters who actually make an effort, so it's hardly surprising he's hated.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Disinterested posted:

:frogsiren: Putin imposes price controls :frogsiren:

...for Vodka :ussr:

This is honestly not a bad idea, the Czarist attempt at banning alcohol consumption was arguably one of the reasons for the February revolution in 1917

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

El Perkele posted:

I understand, but really, his posts are really good and a lot of his points valid, or at least, valid enough that counterpoints to them offer good discussion.

I mean, it's sort of like debating an neoconservative back in 2003 about Iraq, just because his ideas might be wrong doesn't mean they shouldn't be debated against.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

What I can't really understand is what is Lucia Heartfilias problem. Isn't he a Brazilian?

I'm German and a good portion of German politicians as well as citizens are busy defending horrible monsters to protect German business interests. They also completely ignore the suffering of the Ukrainians who are living in a country at war, who have lost their homes or have to live under oppressive Russian occupation and who get murdered and tortured by Russian invaders.

It is unbelievable, but some Germans have still problems with understanding that starting a war and occupying another country are never justified.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 25, 2014

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
good and refreshing to hear s hard line on russia from a german. kick in the door

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Baracula posted:

good and refreshing to hear s hard line on russia from a german. kick in the door

The gently caress is this

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It is unbelievable, but some Germans have still problems with understanding that starting a war and occupying another country are never justified.

I recommend The Wages of Guilt by Ian Buruma. I think Germans are permanently afflicted with the idea that all countries are on the brink of fascism, and think the only course to safely plot around that threat is total pacifism - even in the face of fascism!

Then again, you may have seen that some Japanese people self-immolated in protest against Japanese military buildup recently. It's not just Germans.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
hitlers everywhere you look

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Baracula posted:

Hitler had the right idea.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nilbop posted:

The gently caress is this

bust it. tanks in red square. in a bunker, vladimir putin eats a makarov

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Someone should serve Putin a nice cup of Polonium.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
leopard 2s disperse the russian army. undrsirables are herded into camps where stern german women teach them the values that will one day temper the savage nature of the russian beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Friendly Tumour posted:

So basically you're saying that you cannot discuss Russia without frothing at the mouth? What I can't really understand is what is Lucia Heartfilias problem. Isn't he a Brazilian?

Mightypeon is a good poster. DnD regularly shits on posters who actually make an effort, so it's hardly surprising he's hated.

I like to reas discussion of Russia. I like to read what Russian leadership does, how they react, their ideology etc.

What I get bored of is the endless apologetic barrage of lazy you too arguments. Mightypeon's only argument is basically "bbbut the West", and he has been nothing but vague of just what "the West" actually is. Is Lithuania responsible for France's adventures in Africa? If not, then just how is it relevant and just not a bad deflection tactic? What is the Western media? Is he seriously saying that spheres of influence are good now, because they were bad in the past? It sure looks that way when you get past his word salad. He's been pulling the same line for hundreds of posts. But he is not unique, which is also important to remember.

Although at times his posts have insight and are relevant, you have to understand that there are literally thousands of his kind everywhere in Eastern European discussions; what little novelty he has here is simply because this board is isolated from the larger metadiscussion of Russian-EU relations. Only rarely are they actually useful to assess Russian politics; more often they are useful in assessing where Russian propaganda is going at some moment - not a very fruitful endeavour in the longer run.

I can read Russian apologists every day in the headlines of major newspapers and online comment sections. All of them are the same - russia is justified in annexing Crimea and assisting separatists that shoot down airliners, because in 1980 someone somewhere something. It works as an obfuscation, but is in no way informative of what the Russian grand strategy even is - around the kernel of truth of hurt pride of a world power is woven an impenetrable network of bad propaganda. Disseminating the same propaganda over and over again is not enlightening or civilizing, but a bored regurgiation of something that, IMHO, is not very inducing to understand what the Russia as a state aims for. When someone in what Russia considers their spehre of influence states "gently caress this", MP and his ilk are quick to state that actually no it's good because Grenada, Kosovo or whatever.

And the fact that MP ran away from the nation he now so cheerleads for leads me to disregard him as just another completely ignorant coward, cheering for death and suffering while never facing the consequences and acting all chauvinistic towards those who potentially have something to lose. The comparison to neocons of early 2000s is apt, even though neocons were even more detached from reality.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 25, 2014

• Locked thread