Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Say Nothing posted:

Who's the student who gives a suspicious look when Iida mentions All-Might being interested in Deku's power?

A possible spy in the school for Facepalm and his boss?

That's the fire and ice guy, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That's Icy Hot, yeah. He appears to be aiming for the "Symbol of Peace" title as well.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
At the very least, he looks like he just connected the dots with Deku and All Might.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

A Bystander posted:

At the very least, he looks like he just connected the dots with Deku and All Might.

Not exactly I think.
He's probably going to think Midoriya is being groomed by All might as the next biggest hero.

Because Quirk transfer? pff who would believe that?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Iida.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not exactly I think.
He's probably going to think Midoriya is being groomed by All might as the next biggest hero.

It is even crazier than Quirk transfer. All For One is some magic power totally unrelated to Quirks. No one should be able to guess what is really going on. It is like if Captain Marvel joined the X-men.

I wonder if the teacher's Quirk stopping power even works on it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ethiser posted:

It is even crazier than Quirk transfer. All For One is some magic power totally unrelated to Quirks. No one should be able to guess what is really going on. It is like if Captain Marvel joined the X-men.

I wonder if the teacher's Quirk stopping power even works on it.

It does, we saw that in chapter 6-7, whenever the first day of school test was, when he forced him to not pitch at full power, because crippling yourself makes you a worthless hero.

It's still possibly some quirk - note that Midoriya's mom is a 'fourth generation' according to the first chapter. That makes Midoriya part of the fifth generation of power holders. Assuming that there was some rarity early on, there could easily be sixth, seventh, even eighth generation power holders his age.

All For One is a quirk that takes the power of its holder, and then can be passed downwards, giving the next holder the ability to access the might of all the previous holders. It grows stronger the more generations it is passed down. We don't know what generation of holder All Might himself is, but it's not fair to say it's a 'magic power unrelated to Quirks'.

Even if eight generations isn't enough to justify how amazingly strong they are, you can easily handwave it to say it's stronger than just eight people's strength because reasons, or go with like, Apocalypse from X-Men. A quirk that manifested before quirks became a thing people knew about, just like how Apocalypse was a mutant 4000 years before mutants became a common thing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

What I want to know is, how did the first holder of All for One figure out that it's transferable?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
New chapter and I'm liking the reporter lady. Also we have some appearances by some old 'friends.'

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rexides posted:

What I want to know is, how did the first holder of All for One figure out that it's transferable?

Forgot to wait a hairnet while cooking for his friends.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexides posted:

He did not. The second holder did, and was also a cannibal. It is not a pleasant story.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

What's with the headless person that appears to be in the class now? His/her hands are showing so it's not a invisible thing.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I checked the raws, the head is obscured by text in the original so it's likely just the redrawer not knowing what to do

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I checked the raws, the head is obscured by text in the original so it's likely just the redrawer not knowing what to do

That's amazing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Hahaha that's amazing. :allears:

Should've moved the text to cover that area instead.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Haha, just c/p a head from somewhere else in the manga if you have to.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Wow, that close-up of Deku when he declares his resolve is really great, especially since they transitioned his design to mimic that of All Might.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Training in-between arcs? No time for that, put that on half a page and let's roll!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It does, we saw that in chapter 6-7, whenever the first day of school test was, when he forced him to not pitch at full power, because crippling yourself makes you a worthless hero.

It's still possibly some quirk - note that Midoriya's mom is a 'fourth generation' according to the first chapter. That makes Midoriya part of the fifth generation of power holders. Assuming that there was some rarity early on, there could easily be sixth, seventh, even eighth generation power holders his age.

All For One is a quirk that takes the power of its holder, and then can be passed downwards, giving the next holder the ability to access the might of all the previous holders. It grows stronger the more generations it is passed down. We don't know what generation of holder All Might himself is, but it's not fair to say it's a 'magic power unrelated to Quirks'.

Even if eight generations isn't enough to justify how amazingly strong they are, you can easily handwave it to say it's stronger than just eight people's strength because reasons, or go with like, Apocalypse from X-Men. A quirk that manifested before quirks became a thing people knew about, just like how Apocalypse was a mutant 4000 years before mutants became a common thing.

I wonder if at some point the collective might from all the previous users of All For One is just not going to be transferable, because at some point no human being would be able to take the strain of the quirk.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Can you double up on powers so long as "All For One" isn't a quirk in the traditional sense? For example, wouldn't it be best to give "All For One" to someone with a quirk of rapid regeneration, or super endurance or something of that sort?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Terper posted:

Training in-between arcs? No time for that, put that on half a page and let's roll!

I love headjack girl's training. Pretty sure she's lifting weights with her ear things.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kidcoelacanth posted:

They have the Quirk: Dullahan.

That must have been a terrifying quirk to manifest though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Can you double up on powers so long as "All For One" isn't a quirk in the traditional sense? For example, wouldn't it be best to give "All For One" to someone with a quirk of rapid regeneration, or super endurance or something of that sort?

It's unknown whether All For One can stack with an existing quirk. All Might doesn't seem to have any other powers, so either receiving All For One cancels out existing quirks or he himself was quirkless.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slime posted:

It's unknown whether All For One can stack with an existing quirk. All Might doesn't seem to have any other powers, so either receiving All For One cancels out existing quirks or he himself was quirkless.

Didn't All Might already say that he was born quirk-less? I'm pretty sure he told Deku as much in the second chapter or so. It's likely All For One can only be used by quirkless people.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Didn't All Might already say that he was born quirk-less? I'm pretty sure he told Deku as much in the second chapter or so. It's likely All For One can only be used by quirkless people.

All Might was originally going to look for All For One candidates in the school so I kinda doubt it can only be used by quirkless people. And no, he never said he was quirkless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I look forward to the video games based on this series.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I look forward to the video games based on this series.

I'd love it if they just made it a shameless Battle Network clone on 3DS.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

All Might was originally going to look for All For One candidates in the school so I kinda doubt it can only be used by quirkless people. And no, he never said he was quirkless.

His original quirk is being able to transform into the body of a Superhero, but the transformation only gave him the form not the power.

Manic Mongoose
Aug 5, 2010

Annointed posted:

I wonder if at some point the collective might from all the previous users of All For One is just not going to be transferable, because at some point no human being would be able to take the strain of the quirk.

One-Punch Man is set in the far flung future where the All for One quirk has transferred to Saitama after countless generations

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Manic Mongoose posted:

One-Punch Man is set in the far flung future where the All for One quirk has transferred to Saitama after countless generations

And that's how it ends: not with a bang, but because it can no longer be passed down through his hair.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
For some reason I was pretty resistant to this series, but so far its pretty awesome.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

pandaK posted:

And that's how it ends: not with a bang, but because it can no longer be passed down through his hair.

Saitama still has eyebrows.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The kid with balls on his head is awesome.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pewdiepie posted:

The kid with balls on his head is awesome.

Yeah, I have to say that so far, all the raging about Tsuyu aside, Grape Boy has to be my personal favorite character. Poor little guy. Do your best!!! :unsmith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Link to new chapter for convenience - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Ch-023--Roaring-Sports-Festival?id=216795

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least we know why Ice Burn was giving Deku a suspicious look in the last chapter.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I have to say that so far, all the raging about Tsuyu aside, Grape Boy has to be my personal favorite character. Poor little guy. Do your best!!! :unsmith:

I like Ashido, the bug-ish looking girl with the black eyes. She hasn't had much screen time (well she has, sorta) or done much, but she looks cool. Tsuyu is probably my favorite characterization wise, of the kids at least. All Might is the best overall though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I like Ashido, the bug-ish looking girl with the black eyes. She hasn't had much screen time (well she has, sorta) or done much, but she looks cool. Tsuyu is probably my favorite characterization wise, of the kids at least. All Might is the best overall though.

I like Ashido because she is super jazzed about dogding

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, she's pretty cool looking and I want to see what she can do, what little characterization she as had so far makes her look like a really fun character. And yeah, Tsuyu's deadpan way of doing stuff like thwacking grape boy upside the head without even looking is just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

A Boy of Ice and Fire

Alectai posted:

the fire and ice guy

Kyte posted:

Icy Hot

I love that everyone has come up with a different nickname for Todoroki so far.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 26, 2014