Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i went to japan and now i want to go to more places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

vapid cutlery posted:

which should i visit next: venice, sweden, or NYC

what part of the year?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

theflyingexecutive posted:

what part of the year?

i dont know, assume the best

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

call a different company, child

no poo poo, you still are losing time

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

hobbesmaster posted:

your privilege is showing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

i often think that if all regulations were lifted and it was a true laissez faire market, the average life expectancy would be around 50 except for the JOBCREATORS who would live for thousands of years like the skeksis

this was the plot of some lovely sci fi i saw recently. can't remember what it was called but it was like logan's run where everyone dies at 30, but you could somehow sell your remaining time alive to others, and rich people were hoarding time to live forever by literally siphoning it off of the poors (pretty ham handed allegory but eh maybe it was the guy's first sci fi or something, whatcha gonna do)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

was it with Justin timberlake? if so it was in time

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sagebrush posted:

this was the plot of some lovely sci fi i saw recently. can't remember what it was called but it was like logan's run where everyone dies at 30, but you could somehow sell your remaining time alive to others, and rich people were hoarding time to live forever by literally siphoning it off of the poors (pretty ham handed allegory but eh maybe it was the guy's first sci fi or something, whatcha gonna do)

probably in time

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

nah, uber is probably (unfortunately) the best bet if you're taking a cab while traveling and off the beaten path and for some reason can't ask anyone what a good car service is

so severely autistic mutes, got it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

In Time owned.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

if what you care about is not losing time, head on over to the rental car section and never wait for anyone

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
some people are scared of driving. check your privilege.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vapid cutlery posted:

some people have to get hammered for their business trips. check your privilege.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
are you getting hammered on the plane ride over because you're afraid of flying or something

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

vapid cutlery posted:

are you getting hammered on the plane ride over because you're afraid of flying or something

when you fly a lot the novelty wears off and you are stuck in a stupid loving fuselage next to a chatty stranger who likes bill ore illy and keeps asking subtle questions to see if he can politely figure out if you are on the same page politically so he can keep rambling

alcohollllll

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

vapid cutlery posted:

which should i visit next: venice, sweden, or NYC

Birmingham, UK, has more canals than Venice apparently. Don't go there.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Venice was ok to visit for a day or two, but I wouldn't stay longer. It's pretty cool to see though, they don't have any roads so all traffic is by boat. Including buses, taxis, ambulances, firefighters etc.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Venice was ok to visit for a day or two, but I wouldn't stay longer. It's pretty cool to see though, they don't have any roads so all traffic is by boat. Including buses, taxis, ambulances, firefighters etc.

this, spend a day or two there tops. visit rome and then take a train to venice at the end of your trip if you really want to see it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hobbesmaster posted:

ugh. well, there's consequences from uber for that at least in theory

I've had that happen with taxis but not uber so worksforme?

this happened to me the only time i ever tried to use uber. the driver got lost trying to pick me up even though i was standing beside a major landmark on a major road and gave him directions on the phone. he blew by me without slowing down, in the leftmost lane of a 6 lane road. i called him up and told him he drove past and he said sorry he wasnt really paying attention and then he said he'd turn around and come get me but somehow got lost doing a u turn and ended up calling me when he was 2 miles away, asking if i could walk to him. i said no and he asked me to cancel the ride, but i didnt for a while and saw him on the map, driving away from me until i just gave up and canceled. i wanted to complain to uber but i couldnt figure out how.

i uninstalled the app after that and didn't bother trying again. thanks, uber.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

my cab experience is that I called yellow cab dispatch and then 20 minutes later a clearly marked van pulled up and it was exactly the type of vehicle I asked for because I had to shove my mangled-by-a-car bike into the back.

the cab was reasonably clean and he asked if I needed to use the card reader but I had a $20 and that more than covered the very cheap ride.

the driver was Hispanic though so it was just horrible.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

my cab experience is that I called yellow cab dispatch and then 20 minutes later a clearly marked van pulled up and it was exactly the type of vehicle I asked for because I had to shove my mangled-by-a-car bike into the back.

the cab was reasonably clean and he asked if I needed to use the card reader but I had a $20 and that more than covered the very cheap ride.

the driver was Hispanic though so it was just horrible.

loving immigrants taking our jobs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there's a service here that drives you and you car home from the bars. it rules. the city tried to shut them down cause of protectionism but the judge told them to get bent because it was safer for them to continue operating.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

there's a service here that drives you and you car home from the bars. it rules. the city tried to shut them down cause of protectionism but the judge told them to get bent because it was safer for them to continue operating.

i don't have a problem with services like this at all as long as they background check their drivers. is it free? often things like this are actually free so even less reason to shut them down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

they have those services here too and they own

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's cool stuff in northern Italy, I'm a huge museum/history nerd and I'd probably only do 3 nights in venice, but it's easy to get to the Dolomites, Milan, the Lake District, etc.

also don't go to Venice in the summer

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

its laughable how anybody pretends that a single human being needs to work at a mcdonald's

that is a place that is absolutely begging for 100% automation

people loving love to be able to scream at some poor beaten-down underpaid fast food drone, or alternately, to smile indulgently at them and wish the prole a good day as they toss a handful of cash at them from an overstuffed wallet

fast food and retail won't be automated anytime soon. abusing someone at the other end of a phone line just doesn't satisfy people in the same way as slamming their fist on the counter and watching the worker flinch, knowing their job is at risk as the customer raises their voice and DEMANDS to see their manager

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Main Paineframe posted:

people loving love to be able to scream at some poor beaten-down underpaid fast food drone, or alternately, to smile indulgently at them and wish the prole a good day as they toss a handful of cash at them from an overstuffed wallet

fast food and retail won't be automated anytime soon. abusing someone at the other end of a phone line just doesn't satisfy people in the same way as slamming their fist on the counter and watching the worker flinch, knowing their job is at risk as the customer raises their voice and DEMANDS to see their manager

to be slightly less cynical, retail is pretty automated as is; anything else is pretty much stuff that can't be automated quite as easily (i.e., you can do self checkout, but if you're checking out a fridge from Home Depot you'll probably need someone there)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
humans are like super efficient and powerful robots that self maintain and reproduce. If fast food can find a way to remove these robots' rights and protections they can pull profits in like never before. its way more cost effective than an actual robot because they refuse to fix themselves.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

humans are disgusting apes who spit and shed and should be kept outside and away from my mcchickens

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Syncopated posted:

please tell me the ambulances and firefighters have motors on their boats instead of some guy with a stupid hat and a long stick

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

prefect posted:

please tell me the ambulances and firefighters have motors on their boats instead of some guy with a stupid hat and a long stick

Lol yes. Also I recommend going to the dolomites if youre near Venice, the skiing was v good

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

to be slightly less cynical, retail is pretty automated as is; anything else is pretty much stuff that can't be automated quite as easily (i.e., you can do self checkout, but if you're checking out a fridge from Home Depot you'll probably need someone there)

the interface with the customers, at the very least, has to be human, even if they're just punching orders into an entirely automatic system. customers mostly love dealing with human beings. not so much in things like self-checkout where they just want to scan their poo poo and leave, but in anything quality-related like customer service or food service, people love a waitress or indian call center worker that they can bargain with or yell at, instead of enduring the cold facade of an automated system

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
please place your item in the bagging area

please wait for an attendant

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

your order number is 55

--

dbl cheese burger
x300

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

it owns that donald trump has been a massive failure his entire life but is still rich

it's not an accident

trump hasn't been a property developer in decades. he licenses his name to actual property developers for countless millions and carries zero risk because he gets paid up front

every single "trump" project can fail and he still gets rich

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

is the additional control uber exhibits over their drivers on a passenger to passenger basis a possible 1099 issue?

it's not "possible" so much as "certain" and "glaringly obvious"

uber controls the customer relationship 100% and has the power to determine everything except the driver's schedule

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

there's nothing about the service that requires them to break the law by not having commercially licensed and insured drivers

this was their original business model. they re-sold excess capacity in totally legal and above-board limo services.

the problem is that reselling excess capacity in livery services isn't a twenty billion dollar business. to earn the insane profits promised investors, they have to completely take over the taxi and livery market and subvert all regulation

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A wannabe startup dude posted:

It feels like we are inventing fire for the first time

this is about his work in progress website which will automate job applications

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was their original business model. they re-sold excess capacity in totally legal and above-board limo services.

the problem is that reselling excess capacity in livery services isn't a twenty billion dollar business. to earn the insane profits promised investors, they have to completely take over the taxi and livery market and subvert all regulation

and even then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

this is about his work in progress website which will automate job applications

whoa man I'm like inventing fire using all of these pre-cut pieces of wood and matches and a series of tutorials and an oreilly book on how to make fire and I'm subscribed to a fire-making mailing list

bleeding fuckin' edge people

• Locked thread