Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

my dad posted:

I think his point was that the only reason Lenin seems better is that he never got a chance to do what he wanted to do.

Stalin was a truer believer in the policies of Lenin than Lenin, and was afforded the platform, opportunity, and capacity to attempt their implementation. The USSR was a hosed up empire, with its politicians choosing the politically opportune paths over the austerity and increased effective rates of progressive taxation necesssary for development. Rather, they determined to return their economy to the barter system, and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Genocide is some word some people got out of somewhere, which is not necessarily applicable to Baltics, Jews aside. Unless we're talking about genocide science and whether if ethnic cleansing is ethnic genocide and polito-economico-cultural cleansings are structural genocide.

Cleansings and purges in the Baltics done by the USSR were what started the discussion.
  • In 1941 and 1945-1952, 35 mass deportations from Lithuania took place, with 130k people (70% women and children) moved to labor camps/other forced settlements. Another 150k sent to Gulags for political reasons.
  • In 1941 and 1949, 10k and 20k (of those 20k, 65% politically motivated, 15k women+children) people were deported from Estonia.
  • In 1941 and 1949, 16k (2.5k children younger than 10) and 42k (73% - women, and children under 16) were deported from Latvia.
Asides from deportations, plenty of people were just jailed or executed across all Baltic states.

Im not sure that polito-economico-cultural cleansings or structural genocide mean anything, but thanks!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

Im not sure that polito-economico-cultural cleansings or structural genocide mean anything, but thanks!
Structural genocide is kind-of complicated to explain, and neither am I qualified for that in its entirety, but the former one is a clumsy attempt to sum up measures taken to get rid of people who had important role in politics, economy or culture of the respective Baltic states.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Disinterested posted:

I argued there was a discontinuity of ethnic policy between the two, you have argued variously that the two are generally part of a continuity but that Lenin, if anything, had the worse ethnic policy. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, fair enough. Lenin was a hardcore Marxist extremist with a dream of communist international. All his policies were more extreme than Stalin's, the more pragmatic one. My argument is that while Lenin's ethinc policy is quite nice, on paper, but so is Stalin's. On paper. It's the execution that's the problem. Lenin didn't get the chance to execute his policies beyond some token gestures, like giving (or allowing) the independence to some nationalist republics he hasn't been able to hold anyways. It's a pretty big what if, but I am still confident that had he had enough consolidated power, he'd crack down on anything that tries to impede his precious dream like a ton of Stalins. And any notion of nationalism, especially bourgeous nationalism, is a great impediment.

my dad posted:

I think his point was that the only reason Lenin seems better is that he never got a chance to do what he wanted to do.

Yeah, pretty much.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Stalin was a truer believer in the policies of Lenin than Lenin, and was afforded the platform, opportunity, and capacity to attempt their implementation. The USSR was a hosed up empire, with its politicians choosing the politically opportune paths over the austerity and increased effective rates of progressive taxation necesssary for development. Rather, they determined to return their economy to the barter system, and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

lol

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm not taking on the ethnic cleansing angle, I'm talking about pure and simple human rights abuses and cultural outlook on its own citizens. I've got ties to Poland, and that definitely colors my views, but I struggle to balance out that bias with facts in a manner that doesn't make Russia look pretty bad. To be clear, my girlfriend grew up in Soviet Poland - neighbors would disappear in the night or just get shot in the street for dissent. There's another Pole in the neighborhood we know who fled in the 80s because he had been distributing an underground newsletter and got tipped off that the secret police were coming, so he fled West with nothing but the shirt on his back. These stories are not unique and anyone living under the Soviets understands that. This is what I always come back to, in my mind. I grew up in cold-war America and while I disagreed from an early age about the cold-war and american foreign policy, I never felt fearful of stating these things out loud, to family or teachers. This is how I weigh the sins of Russia and understand their context. I live in a country that your average Russian-apologist will point at and shout "they do it too!" but at the end of the day when the sins are tallied up, there's just no comparison.

You can certainly say "oh well after Stalin they stopped mass murdering their own citizens" and you may well be largely semantically correct. But it didn't stop systematic oppression of the people and the murder of malcontents. To this day, it's dangerous to be a real, serious critic or opposition threat to the Kremlin. Mysterious deaths abound to anyone that could be described as a serious credible threat to the Kremlin. I read Tolokonnikova's letters describing the conditions in prison which she was subjected to for the crime of peaceful protest. While watching protests on the streets of Ferguson makes me weep for my country - the protesters arrested those days were not sent to prison on multi-year sentences, worked half to death, and fed rotten food.

One Russian apologist a few pages back suggested that Russia was improving in its behavior and now due to the West's manipulations will certainly reverse that course. I can't help but laugh at the notion. Russia to any reasonable observer lacks the will to make significant changes in its behavior. They're a babushka thickly layering on the makeup of reform in an attempt to hide the wrinkles of abuse. Real reform looks different: as one poster notes above, Germany is so fearful of repeating their sins they may well allow other countries to rampantly engage in their own; I would find it unthinkable for Japan to repeat its crimes in Korea or China; even in America we now have the luxury of being angry about pepper spray aimed at students, rather than a corpse on the lawn of Kent State. But Russia is still caging or killing those that oppose it from inside - and its a policy they're willing to export: the protester deaths in Maidan felt more like Moscow's influence than Yanukovych's idea.

I don't believe the Russian people, as a whole, are guilty. Nor do I believe the German people, as a whole, are guilty. Nor any people of any state being guilty of the crimes of their leadership. But the Russian people show a distinct lack of drive to change the state of their country at this time, and that leaves it to the people of the world to judge the country's behaviors. Russia has violated the sovereignty of another country, not solely through invasion but through outright annexation of its territories. It continues to arm and fund a rebellion in that country and is nearly certainly sending its own troops to assist - all without so much as a formal declaration of war. This is all being done in breach of internationally recognized agreements and international law. It has caused the deaths of not only citizens of the victim state, but also of uninvolved internationals. It has to stop and, in the larger picture, something must be done to reform Russia into a state that believes human life is worth at least a fraction of a barrel of oil.

BBC story earlier talking about the influx of Eritrean and Syrian immigrants into Switzerland indicated the country's population was 25% not-natively-Swiss. Not exactly homogenous.

They also have like 3 different European cultural groups living there natively which was kind of my point. Its a multi ethnic state without an official policy of homogenising

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Structural genocide is kind-of complicated to explain, and neither am I qualified for that in its entirety, but the former one is a clumsy attempt to sum up measures taken to get rid of people who had important role in politics, economy or culture of the respective Baltic states.

Yeah, also known as kinda not genocide exactly but we really really want to call it genocide so

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

blainestereo posted:

Yeah, also known as kinda not genocide exactly but we really really want to call it genocide so

if the culture disappears and lots of them get murdered what does it matter

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, does anyone have any info about the stuff going on in Ukraine right now? I mean, the past few weeks were mostly spent talking about stuff that isn't Ukraine, and complaining about talking about stuff that isn't Ukraine. Anything new happening?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

Wow. We're really at the point where a debate has come up over whether the man who killed between 34 and 59 million people during his dictatorship was a "moderate" compared to anyone else.

I mean, maybe. If you're comparing him to someone who literally eats babies.

Well, that was literally the question, I'm sorry. It's absurd, but I was asked to comment on this, and so I did.

I have to agree, though, that historical discussions are not very productive in what is essentially a thread about current events. I will not even argue about the numbers you've mentioned.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
There were peace talks in Minsk on the 24th and I think another round is set for the 26th. The ceasefire is mostly holding as far as I can tell. Gazprom is delivering gas. Ukraine renounced its non aligned status, I forget if that got posted here.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

my dad posted:

So, does anyone have any info about the stuff going on in Ukraine right now? I mean, the past few weeks were mostly spent talking about stuff that isn't Ukraine, and complaining about talking about stuff that isn't Ukraine. Anything new happening?

Mightypeon is the prime mover behind the Ukrainian civil war

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

Those Ukrainian made Kraz armored cars that were being paraded around Kyiv on Independence day finally made it to the front.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also, seems like an agreement on exchange of POWs has been made during the first round of peace talks.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So why is the Ruble suddenly regaining ground? Crazy Russian billionaires buying them up?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Amused to Death posted:

So why is the Ruble suddenly regaining ground? Crazy Russian billionaires buying them up?

Oil's stabilizing, the central bank is probably continuing to throw money at it. The damage is done, though.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Selling frenzy is over, oil prices stabilized, the government continues to sell of its dollar reserve, central bank actually managed to formulate some sort of coherent currency policy, things are quiet in Ukraine, take your pick.

It's still due to fall horribly because the economy is hosed, just not as sharply as the last week.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

New York Times has 2014 year in pictures. Contains images from Euromaidan.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/28/sunday-review/2014-year-in-pictures.html?slide=2014-yip-january-slide-AIND&name=yearinpictures

Discendo Vox posted:

Oil's stabilizing, the central bank is probably continuing to throw money at it. The damage is done, though.

Wait until after the holidays. Oil will start dropping again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian foreign cash reserves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/russian-reserves-fall-below-400-billion-first-time-131941664--sector.html

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Apparently the Rada greatly expanded the powers of the NSDC today. It now has the power to declare a states of emergency, martial law, and war. I'm phone posting but a description of the law is on the Ukrainska Pravda website.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

That's a significant hit. I wonder how much more they're willing to take to keep the ruble stable.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

$15billion/week burn will certainly make for lively happenings in Russia. I think the Russian financial sector will experience quite the liquidity issues in 1Q15.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

My Imaginary GF posted:

$15billion/week burn will certainly make for lively happenings in Russia. I think the Russian financial sector will experience quite the liquidity issues in 1Q15.

It's not a 15 billion burn a week. a large proportion of that was part of a separate transaction and will return shortly. Even with that aside, the average expenditures going forward will likely be much lower.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don't know if I want to bring up the previous discussion on Lenin but very little of it is actually corroborated by sources or is readily accepted by most of Anglophone/American academics.

Lenin if anything was a relative pragmatist and this is readily shown in mounts of documents, he ran the council of people's commissars like a cabinet and while commissars were fired they weren't executed while he was alive. The NEP is very far from a radical plan of action, and the Soviets were regularly negotiating with Western companies on concessions as early as 1919. I can give you a few thousand pages of archival references. If anything the most radical "Bolshevik" language in meeting starts to peter out as early as January 1918. He wasn't a "nice guy" but saying that he was just another Stalin is considered laughable today.

As far as Korenizatsiya, it was in fact implemented and there is plenty of evidence on it, and while you could say the breath of ethnic and national cultures allowed in though was molded by ideological beliefs but at least during the 1920s, there was at least broad cultural autonomy. Read Affirmative Action Empire by Terry Martin for more info.

I mean the stuff in this thread usually you hear from the most right of the field and regional nationalist historians. Anyway this is regularly more than a thread about current events, usually most D&D threads are.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 26, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Eastern Europe: Actually, it's about Ethnics in Gorby Paternalism

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Mysterious Writer posted:

"It is said that a united apparatus was needed. Where did that assurance come from? Did it not come from that same Russian apparatus which, as I pointed out in one of the preceding sections of my diary, we took over from tsarism and slightly anointed with Soviet oil?

It is quite natural that in such circumstances the "freedom to secede from the union" by which we justify ourselves will be a mere scrap of paper, unable to defend the non-Russians from the onslaught of that really Russian man, the Great-Russian chauvinist, in substance a rascal and a tyrant, such as the typical Russian bureaucrat is.

[...]

In my writings on the national question I have already said that an abstract presentation of the question of nationalism in general is of no use at all. A distinction must necessarily be made between the nationalism of an oppressor nation and that of an oppressed nation, the nationalism of a big nation and that of a small nation.

In respect of the second kind of nationalism we, nationals of a big nation, have nearly always been guilty, in historic practice, of an infinite number of cases of violence; furthermore, we commit violence and insult an infinite number of times without noticing it.

In December of 1922, these remarks on the nationalities issue were published throughout the Soviet Union, intended as a rebuke to Stalin, who was specifically named. Which person were they written by?

A) Karl Kautsky
B) Nicolai Bukharin
C) Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
D) Lenin
E) Primary sources are for fags, I think what I want

Hint: the same guy said: "Пожалуйста, не обучайте меня, что взять или что откинуть от марксизма, яйца курицу не учат!"

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 26, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Eastern Europe: Actually, it's about Ethnics in Gorby Paternalism

Sometimes even bad arguments need to be addressed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh, I'm agnostic on all these debates- I don't know enough soviet history to have an opinion beyond on issues of political philosophy. I just find this whole extended exchange amusingly DnD, both in content and how it's shifted over time.

The official site just got the numbers up for the week of the 19th. The next full monthly breakdown should be interesting.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm just baffled by the number of people who are ranting past each-other. A series of monologues masquerading as a dialogue by quoting another monologue before proceeding.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Smerdyakov posted:

In December of 1922, these remarks on the nationalities issue were published throughout the Soviet Union, intended as a rebuke to Stalin, who was specifically named. Which person were they written by?

A) Karl Kautsky
B) Nicolai Bukharin
C) Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
D) Lenin
E) Primary sources are for fags, I think what I want

Hint: the same guy said: "Пожалуйста, не обучайте меня, что взять или что откинуть от марксизма, яйца курицу не учат!"
Д
К вопросу о национальностях или об «автономизации»

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

my dad posted:

I'm just baffled by the number of people who are ranting past each-other. A series of monologues masquerading as a dialogue by quoting another monologue before proceeding.

These things were easier in the days where you simply preached your sermon to the flock of believers, who are only looking for the familiar key-phrases that signal group identity and belonging, then settle disputes with those who disagree with war. The problem with the internet is you can throw the speeches at each other but there's simply no way to come to grips with each other and shut the other guy up.

I'm not saying this as someone immune to nationalism or tribalism, even in this very thread, but the rambling about musty Soviet history is an especially unreadable case. Then again, this is the debate and discussion Eastern Europe thread, so it's not like it's off-topic.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 26, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dolash posted:

These things were easier in the days where you simply preached your sermon to the flock of believers, who are only looking for the familiar key-phrases that signal group identity and belonging, then settle disputes with those who disagree with war. The problem with the internet is you can throw the speeches at each other but there's simply no way to come to grips with each other and shut the other guy up.

I'm not saying this as someone immune to nationalism or tribalism, even in this very thread, but the rambling about musty Soviet history is an especially unreadable case. Then again, this is the debate and discussion Eastern Europe thread, so it's not like it's off-topic.

I fully agree. The thread title suggestions are just all I can do to contribute when the discussion takes this turn- I certainly have no complaints as long as it doesn't completely consume the discourse.

Hey, thread question: What ethnic group in East Europe, over the course or recorded history in the region, is least oppressed?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

I fully agree. The thread title suggestions are just all I can do to contribute when the discussion takes this turn- I certainly have no complaints as long as it doesn't completely consume the discourse.

Hey, thread question: What ethnic group in East Europe, over the course or recorded history in the region, is least oppressed?

I think almost all of Eastern Europe would agree with answering, the Germans.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think almost all of Eastern Europe would agree with answering, the Germans.
No one would put them into Eastern Europe.

I also doubt that question is answerable, unless it serves purely provocative goals.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I would say Mongols , mostly out of ignorance of their history. Really, if you are going for recorded history it sucks for everyone, as far as regular people are concerned.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Do we count only natives or every group here ever? Latter does not seem to make for a meaningful question.

Edit: Definition of natives on the timescale is also a headache then.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russians plan a protest in front of the US Embassy in Moscow because twitter banned Kremlin trolls.

https://twitter.com/kreatyvna100/status/548251702529642496

Also happening tomorrow, maybe, more reconciliation talks in Minsk.

http://sputniknews.com/politics/20141226/1016245904.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

No one would put them into Eastern Europe.

They put themselves there quite frequently over the past few centuries.

:v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

They put themselves there quite frequently over the past few centuries.

:v:
I addressed that a post later than the one you quote. As a Latvian I am quite aware of Germans in Eastern Europe.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the "Mongols" themselves were very ethnically syncretic themselves.

Supposedly, anti-Americanism is way way up in Moscow, and Western businessmen have been leaving. I think it is going to be touch and go for a while, reserves will be burnt off and on for a while. The Russians still need higher oil prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

I addressed that a post later than the one you quote. As a Latvian I am quite aware of Germans in Eastern Europe.

No you didn't, as it was a joke about Germans invading in World War I and World War II. (as well as various annexations and other wars, but primarily the Kaiser and the Fuhrer).

• Locked thread