Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

I need some goonpinions here guys. I bought a Steelseries Rival tonight, and it won't track well on my Corsair soft mat. However, it tracks fine on my really old Razer hard mat. The hard mat is way too small and feels too icy. So my options seem to be to return the mouse and buy a G402, which I may have the same problems with or may not like ergonomically; or to buy a new mousemat. I'd love a really big hard mat with higher resistance, cause I love the friction the soft mat gives me, but I've never been able to find one large enough, and it'd probably be icier than I'd like. Steelseries makes soft mats in the perfect size for me (450x400mm), but I'm afraid that I'd just start having tracking issues again as soon as it got a little dirty or worn in.
As for the mouse itself, I like it so far. Its not mind-blowing ergonomically but its plenty comfortable and after a little time using it will be just as comfortable as my Mionix. The optical sensor in comparison to the laser in my Naos and the MS-3 I used before that feels amazing, and right off the bat I can notice the difference in accuracy. It actually makes my sensitivity in games feel higher than before, and I play very low sensitivity (8.5" 180* turn in FPS's) and am pretty sensitive to any changes.
So I ask ye, goonsires, what would you do?

Steelseries QCKs work perfect with the Rival. I have a regular QCK and I've never had a tracking issue at all -- I know there are pro CS players who use the Rival in conjunction with the QCK+ and QCK Heavy, can't imagine they'd use those if there were even the most minute issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
A lot of the high-end sensors perform their absolute best on dark/black surfaces, whereas bright, shiny or transparent ones are known to cause occasional hitches and anomalous errors.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm seeing a lot of reviews of the G600 saying it randomly loses profiles and has problems with jumpiness. Can anyone in here speak to that? I seem to recall one of Logitech's reps used to post in this thread.

I have a Razer 3.5G Deathadder that's worked solid as a rock for me for over 3 years, but I'd like to have more buttons. I already have a G13 and really like it and thought the G600 would make a nice compliment.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I often find myself forgetting what profile my G600 is on (I have one for non-gaming, one for MMOs, and one for other games), but I've never had any profile issues, nor any with jumpiness on a Corsair MM600 mousepad.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

GokieKS posted:

I often find myself forgetting what profile my G600 is on

I wish I could set my G502 DPI leds to show what profile I'm on rather than what DPI. I only actually use one DPI setting per profile anyway, with the exception of the one profile I have a DPI clutch on (which is my desktop profile, not a gaming one!)
Goo, could this be done in a firmware update? :D

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm seeing a lot of reviews of the G600 saying it randomly loses profiles and has problems with jumpiness. Can anyone in here speak to that? I seem to recall one of Logitech's reps used to post in this thread.

I have a Razer 3.5G Deathadder that's worked solid as a rock for me for over 3 years, but I'd like to have more buttons. I already have a G13 and really like it and thought the G600 would make a nice compliment.

I think this was fixed in a firmware update but the original models of the mouse cannot be updated to the newest firmware. Effectively there's 2 versions of the mouse and no way to no which one you're getting.

I have the older version and haven't had any problems though.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading stuff about Avago 9800 laser sensors being inferior to optical mice because of acceleration problems, and apparently the G600 has one. I'm not going to be doing surgery with this thing so it doesn't have to be mega precise but I don't want a mouse that's floaty and difficult to control.

Goo do you know anything about this sensor business?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The 9800 is the best laser you can get and you probably can't notice the acceleration on it unless you're playing very low sensitivity and have to make very fat movements to cope. That and the low IPS rating are why I don't like it.
If you're not playing ultra-low sensitivity competitive-level FPS gaming then you're never going to be able to tell.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was about to complain about the lack of search within threads since I remembered seeing Goo answer that, but then I scrolled to the top of the page and there it was. Since when has that been there? Is it a SALR thing? Nifty.

Anyways here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=433361288

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Horizontal Tree posted:

I wish I could set my G502 DPI leds to show what profile I'm on rather than what DPI. I only actually use one DPI setting per profile anyway, with the exception of the one profile I have a DPI clutch on (which is my desktop profile, not a gaming one!)

Don't they already do this? When I hit the change profile button the number of LEDs indicate which profile it is switching to.

Anyways, my question is, what exactly do gamers use free scroll for? It's nifty to have, but I can't figure out what I would want to use it for.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
It shows on the LEDs, but I wish I could set the LED's to always show profile, rather than always showing DPI, since I don't use on-the-fly DPI adjustment. My DPI changes are profile-based. I use lower DPI for games than I do on my desktop.
Free scroll is pretty useless for games IMO, and while its definitely implemented better on the G502 than it ever has been in the past, I'd still be perfectly happy without it. Same with side-tilt.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Horizontal Tree posted:

New product development and bug fixes are prioritized over feature requests but it's conceivable something like that could make it into a future firmware revision.

Chickenwalker posted:

I've been reading stuff about Avago 9800 laser sensors being inferior to optical mice because of acceleration problems, and apparently the G600 has one. I'm not going to be doing surgery with this thing so it doesn't have to be mega precise but I don't want a mouse that's floaty and difficult to control.

Goo do you know anything about this sensor business?
The sensor in the G600 is not ideal for low-sens FPS gaming but it's really one of the most popular sensor architectures on the planet and has been for years. Unless you really know you hate it you likely won't notice it. I would take my advice with an appropriate amount of skepticism, though.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Goo posted:

New product development and bug fixes are prioritized over feature requests but it's conceivable something like that could make it into a future firmware revision.

The sensor in the G600 is not ideal for low-sens FPS gaming but it's really one of the most popular sensor architectures on the planet and has been for years. Unless you really know you hate it you likely won't notice it. I would take my advice with an appropriate amount of skepticism, though.

Thanks for the response. I understand you all have your priorities, just wanted to put out there that it'd be a nice little option to have!
I still need to say again that a G502 with a wider rear end would be perfect. Please Goo!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Okay I pulled the trigger on the G600. I figure at three years out the switches on the Deathadder are on their last legs by now so it seems to make sense. And all of my other kit at this point is Logitech. I really like the LGS by the way Goo, excellent design there. And the G13 is top-notch if you had anything to do with making that.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I want an updated G13 with mech switches. The ones in the new G910 are fine, just don't use those same loving terrible keycaps.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Chuu posted:

Anyways, my question is, what exactly do gamers use free scroll for? It's nifty to have, but I can't figure out what I would want to use it for.

I like the feel of it for any game that has a zoom in / out type function like 3rd person orbiting camera games or top down games like Civ5. I never much use mouse wheel for anything else in games so I never turn off hyper scroll.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

I want an updated G13 with mech switches. The ones in the new G910 are fine, just don't use those same loving terrible keycaps.

G-13 forever, we really could do with a modernised one (perchance with a small scroll wheel included). :guinness:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Chuu posted:

Anyways, my question is, what exactly do gamers use free scroll for?

Choosing a caravan trade city destination in Civ V/BE

norg
Jul 5, 2006

Horizontal Tree posted:

Razer do a pad with mech switches don't they? Anyone know if it's any good?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking of throwing my G13 onto Ebay or something, How much should I sell it for? 35$

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

norg posted:

Razer do a pad with mech switches don't they? Anyone know if it's any good?

Its $130, otherwise its comfortable and nice. I'd never actually spend the money for one, but the Orbweaver is the best implementation of a left-hand keypad that I've seen.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

I'm thinking of throwing my G13 onto Ebay or something, How much should I sell it for? 35$

Brand new ones on Amazon UK are going for £50.... cheaper than the backup i bought last year. :(

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

You'll have a hard time, they sell for $42 on Amazon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chickenwalker posted:

:( Maybe best buy will buy it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

They're listed at that price. Who knows if they actually sell for that.

Metal Bear
Jun 18, 2014

Having an issue with my Naos 7000 where on my Steelseries 9HD pad there are very small areas where the sensor will stop tracking, also the cursor will sometimes "wander" if the mouse is left stationary in certain spots. Is it that the Steelseries logos imprinted on the 9HD aren't that good for the ADNS-3310, or did I just get a borked mouse?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Why don't more high end mice (I'm looking at you logitech) use bluetooth/BLE for communications?

I mean it seems perfectly adequate for most sensor devices and can get < 10ms latency

I don't like the weird nub thing that eats a USB port

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Goo (from Logitech) had this to say on Bluetooth for high-end mice:

Goo posted:

Bluetooth is a terrible gaming mouse protocol. The best case scenario is that you get an 8ms report rate out of it, and it's rare that that actually happens. We ship with dedicated receivers for G602 and G700/G700s in order to ensure that the communication is fast and consistent.

Goo posted:

Bluetooth is, generally speaking, not really great for gaming. Max report rate over BT is 125Hz/8ms and is not particularly consistent or stable. Also, BT drains battery like crazy in comparison to USB dongle solutions. Then you combine that with low-speed sensors (to bump battery life back up) and you get poor tracking speeds as well. This is not to say that people can't enjoy gaming with a BT mouse, but it is not an ideal solution for performance gaming.

Goo posted:

Every wireless engineer I've asked this question has told me that the BT HID chips we have available to us don't communicate faster than 8ms. I can ask again, but it's not for lack of interest in Bluetooth that we've gone with custom solutions. Ultimately it's for performance and ease of use.
A lot of people interested in high-end mice aren't happy with 8ms latency.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The mouse can request faster than 8ms but it's up to the host chip to grant it. If the host doesn't want you to or feels like you're not "playing nice" by asking for (iirc max speed is) 1.5ms reports, it can bump you down. It's not a gaming-friendly mechanism as it's more interested in maintaining the overall health of the piconet than in ensuring the best possible performance for any one device. In many ways it's worse for the report rate to fluctuate - even from session to session - than for it to be at 8ms.

As to why so few non-gaming Logitech mice use BT or BTLE... I can't say. I only work on gaming stuff.

Goo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 24, 2014

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Yo dude who works for logitech, can you get me a g100s where the left mouse button won't die after 2-3 months of use, I've RMAD 4x times now and I'm going for a 5th, please help :(

Alternatively, what's going on with the switch to make it not register being pressed down a portion of the time even though it still makes a clicking noise and can I fix it myself? It's always the same way that it goes, maybe 1/100 clicks won't register, than it increases until it's like 1/2 clicks. Oh well, at least the mouse is still usable and they don't make me send them back. I just don't see how sending me 5 and probably 6/7/8 mice is going to be profitable for logitech.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 25, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Every Logitech mouse I've ever owned has done the same thing after a year or two.

That said, both of my housemates bought Razer mice a few months ago and they're already having the same problem, so it's not like the competition is better.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wolrah posted:

Every Logitech mouse I've ever owned has done the same thing after a year or two.

That said, both of my housemates bought Razer mice a few months ago and they're already having the same problem, so it's not like the competition is better.
I don't buy razer products in general. I'm not sure how I feel about logitech mice. On one hand they made the mx518 (and the mx500/mx510/mx300/mx310 weren't bad prior although we can sperg about why they aren't viable to use now) and I'm pretty sure the one I bought at release is going to never break despite having 20x more hours of use/abuse/clicks than any other mouse I've owned except the IMO 1.1a, on the other they made the G3 & G5 which were probably some of the worst mice ever released. The g100s pretty much owns except for the lmb dying all the drat time. Their customer support is great so I guess it's okay. I like the smaller form logitech mice in general and wish they received more love.

Zowie products generally last too, but if you ever do have trouble (cord tends to go if you put any strain on it at all, at least on the mico, sometimes you get a mouse with a defective part and have to rma) you either have to fix it yourself or buy a new one because their customer service is trash despite making an otherwise awesome product. If they decide to approve the RMA sometimes the process can take literal months. I might end up picking an fk2 in between the g100s rma. Not really sure. I don't really want to pay $60 for a mouse unless it's like a g100s that is never going to break or something.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 26, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I blame that one-piece top design that every single manufacturer uses these days. Back in the day I had a Logitech MX300 for years and later a G1, both of which had more defined left/right mouse buttons and I have had no ghost clicks whatsoever until the microswitches on the circuit board started carving valleys into the bottom of the button plastic.

I try to use the steelseries kinzuv2 and the logitech g100s and they just don't have the sensor and button reliability that I came to expect from the older designs. Good old marketing gimmicks at work.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I don't know if it affects the switch life but the new Logitech have smaller, independent key plate designs. I got a G402 for Christmas. The shape feels good but I won't actually get to test it until I get home from my parents.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Aargh! My brother bought me a R.A.T. 5 mouse for christmas, and coincidentally the ps2 mouse port on my motherboard for my stone-age yet ultra-reliable generic 3 button mouse stopped working. This thing has way too many buttons and looks like a cross between the batmobile and a Cylon heavy raider. Very smooth and feels wonderful in the hand, though.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Some hardware questions for my dear goons:

I’m trying to decide between these two gaming mice to use for CS:GO. My main priorities are accuracy and precision, and comfort. Additional buttons sound somewhat useful, but are not a necessity. I’m left-handed, which cuts out some of the common choices.
Steelseries Sensei Raw - http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...TBX86ZKCDHN6VPQ (I’m thinking of getting the rubber rather than glossy finish).
Or my second option is a Cooler Master Storm Recon - http://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-...r/dp/B009JZ04BC

Supposedly the additional buttons are more effectively placed on the Cooler Master mouse. However, the optical sensor sounds like it might not be as good as the laser sensor on the Sensei. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, though. I do have a Cooler Master mechanical keyboard that I love, so I’m leaning a bit towards their mouse since I never heard of Steelseries before. Just from looks alone though the design on the Cooler Master doesn’t look as comfortable and ergonomic as the Sensei .
Which one seems like the better buy? I’d appreciate any tips, guys!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MoosetheMooche posted:

I’m trying to decide between these two gaming mice to use for CS:GO. My main priorities are accuracy and precision, and comfort. Additional buttons sound somewhat useful, but are not a necessity. I’m left-handed, which cuts out some of the common choices.
Steelseries Sensei Raw - http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...TBX86ZKCDHN6VPQ (I’m thinking of getting the rubber rather than glossy finish).
Or my second option is a Cooler Master Storm Recon - http://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-...r/dp/B009JZ04BC

Supposedly the additional buttons are more effectively placed on the Cooler Master mouse. However, the optical sensor sounds like it might not be as good as the laser sensor on the Sensei. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, though. I do have a Cooler Master mechanical keyboard that I love, so I’m leaning a bit towards their mouse since I never heard of Steelseries before. Just from looks alone though the design on the Cooler Master doesn’t look as comfortable and ergonomic as the Sensei .

Generally speaking, you don't want to use a laser sensor unless you're having tracking issues with an optical sensor. They both have their niches, but the strengths of optical sensors fall closer to how most users will use the mouse. I think Steelseries has been in the peripherals game longer than CoolerMaster, but both are quite respectable as far as I'm aware. There's no way to tell how comfortable a mouse will be without actually having it in your hand, especially considering everyone's grip style is different.

Your links are broken, by the way.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MoosetheMooche posted:

If you can get your hands on it, go for the Kana v2 instead of the Sensei Raw, if you are going Steelseries. Better sensor, better overall design, assuming you don't mind the flipper style side buttons that is. Steelseries products aren't the best in terms of build quality in general (not in my experience anyway), and I've heard that their customer service is Not Good. But I had pretty good luck with my Kana v1 for about ~2 years of heavy use before it broke, and the v2 is a MUCH better mouse. Also, while I believe the DPI settings are stored on-board, I don't think the profiles are, so you need to have their lovely software running if you want to do anything fancy with mappings.

You might also take a look at the Avior 7000, it's a little bit heavier than the Kana, but the software is much better (everything stored onboard, very flexible mappings), more flexible DPI options, very good sensor too. The shape is ... a little strange at first, if you go full Palm style you might have issues with it because it's a bit fat in the back. I adjusted to it pretty quick though, and it's probably my #1 choice for ambidex mouse right now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MoosetheMooche posted:

I m trying to decide between these two gaming mice to use for CS:GO. My main priorities are accuracy and precision, and comfort. Additional buttons sound somewhat useful, but are not a necessity. I m left-handed, which cuts out some of the common choices.
Steelseries Sensei Raw - http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-S...TBX86ZKCDHN6VPQ (I m thinking of getting the rubber rather than glossy finish).

Supposedly the additional buttons are more effectively placed on the Cooler Master mouse. However, the optical sensor sounds like it might not be as good as the laser sensor on the Sensei. I m not sure if that s true or not, though. I do have a Cooler Master mechanical keyboard that I love, so I m leaning a bit towards their mouse since I never heard of Steelseries before. Just from looks alone though the design on the Cooler Master doesn t look as comfortable and ergonomic as the Sensei .
Which one seems like the better buy? I d appreciate any tips, guys!

Is there a reason you aren't looking at the Logitech G402/502/602? Those are the best gaming mice on the market at the moment, and Logitech has the best software to go with them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there a reason you aren't looking at the Logitech G402/502/602? Those are the best gaming mice on the market at the moment, and Logitech has the best software to go with them as well.

As he said in his post, he's left-handed.