Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ekster posted:

AAA studios suck.

However, indie devs also suck.

Both sometimes make good games.

Could you phrase this in an over-the-top way biased against someone so I can understand it? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Michaellaneous posted:

A good example for that are art games. Literally 99% of those are utter garbage, and then you have that one that has a very good composer behind it, and people understanding what the genre actually means, and you get Journey.

Journey is still the best game I've ever played real talk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What's an art game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

What's an art game.
one that has ladies with they tits out

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They're typically a refinement of Marcel Duchamp's work, taken to the logical conclusion. Rather than being the urinal, it's just a streak of piss.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Any attempt to conciliate an inexplicable momentary state with logic strikes me as a boring kind of game. The convention of the spoken language is ample and adequate for us, but for our solitude, for our intimate games and our literature we no longer need it." - Tristan Tzara

:cool:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euphronius posted:

What's an art game.

It's a game where the pixels aren't consistently sized.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lol

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mario Paint was a pretty boss art game.

They should make a sequel

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

euphronius posted:

What's an art game.
Videogames shouldn't be fun, "fun" is what you say when you can't explain why you like something :colbert: They should aspire to be deep and meaningful and also please hire me to write hundreds of words about videogames being deep and meaningful so I can prove my parents wrong and stop being a record store clerk

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

What's an art game.

euphronius posted:

an fart game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A bad indie game is worse than a bad studio game because at least the latter has the excuse of having to answer to a higher power. The indie guy is the one who is pouring his heart and soul into making derivative poo poo because he's convinced that it's just that amazing.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

What's an art game.

Mario Paint.
Duh. God. Casual gamers these days. Jeez.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A bad indie game is worse than a bad studio game because at least the latter has the excuse of having to answer to a higher power. The indie guy is the one who is pouring his heart and soul into making derivative poo poo because he's convinced that it's just that amazing.

alternatively, an AAA game being terrible is worse because they have dozens to hundreds of people putting in far more time than the indie guy and still gently caress it up

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hog Inspector posted:

alternatively, an AAA game being terrible is worse because they have dozens to hundreds of people putting in far more time than the indie guy and still gently caress it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
indie games be all like

aaa games be like

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
http://blogs.wpri.com/2012/05/25/salvatore-defends-38-studios-its-game-would-blow-you-away/

quote:

Salvatore is due to receive $1.46 million from 38 Studios in October under the terms of a consulting agreement he signed with the company in 2007, according to a bond disclosure notice obtained by WPRI.com

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

precision posted:

I could never get past the drummer.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Clamknuckle posted:

I could never get past the drummer.

Gotta hold on to that feeling

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

precision posted:

Wdll, honestly there are so many different kind of games, and I always find it hard to compare for example strategy to FPS.

But yes, in terms of experience in a game, Journey is on the absolute top followed by Riven.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Jonathan blow video game fart

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Kins posted:

Videogames shouldn't be fun, "fun" is what you say when you can't explain why you like something :colbert: They should aspire to be deep and meaningful and also please hire me to write hundreds of words about videogames being deep and meaningful so I can prove my parents wrong and stop being a record store clerk

When people choose to like or dislike a game, it's usually small features that make the decision. For instance, if a game gives you the option of going through it non-lethally, I can almost guarantee that I like that game. Heck, I'll give games a pass if the animations are particularly interesting to look at (Sniper Elite v2)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Watching people broadly dismiss discussion of a thing in a forum dedicated to discussion of said thing is always funny.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins and it surprised me that it took the videogame industry until 2009 to have a gigantic aspie murder an entire family because someone took his toys. Then having him be one of the good guys. Also like that every insulting european stereotype is present and on display.

It's a fun game is what I'm saying.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
DA:O is fun and good once you come around to the idea that everyone in the game is dumb as hell and it is 100% to your benefit to be as awful to them all as possible.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Merry Christmas everyone!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FgGrLnFAI

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Korean Archon? Nice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Willie Tomg posted:

DA:O is fun and good once you come around to the idea that everyone in the game is dumb as hell and it is 100% to your benefit to be as awful to them all as possible.

This is the correct and prevailing narrative theme of the entire Dragon Age series

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish I could say the factions in DA are just self-serving, but a lot of the time they actively seem to be working against their own interests

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Ahundredbux posted:

Korean Archon? Nice.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its probably vietnamese

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sorry I can't read Korean

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIsN40d_Uko

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Ahundredbux posted:

Sorry I can't read Korean

I'm pretty sure that's Esperanto dude.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
This thread are piss.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ArfJason posted:

This thread are piss.

Get out bart

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
What is your 2014 Game of the year?

- Must be released in 2014
- Platform does not matter
- A large DLC is an acceptable entry

My GotY is probably South Park because this has been a trash year for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Transistor. I realize this makes me uncool.

• Locked thread