Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

8one6 posted:

I just Humble-bundled and have some extra keys. PM me if you want one of the following:
MURI
Imagine Me
Bardbarian
Race the Sun

I would absolutely love race the sun! I'll be on soon if you still have it! :)

Edit: STEAM_0:1:213259

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I would absolutely love race the sun! :)

Edit: STEAM_0:1:213259

Email's on it's way.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 26, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, Shadow Warrior takes a significant step down in quality between acts one and two, what with the change from rad Japanese castles and towns to late 90s FPS warehouses, docks, and sewers, and the introduction of cliff racers and enemies that do nothing but poo poo out speed bump landmines to slow down the gameplay. Pretty bizarre design choices.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

CJacobs posted:

It's not. I've been using it for a very long time because I like Origin and think it's fine and unobtrusive, but I also think that Steam games that just launch Origin are pointless and dumb. All it really does is patch the .par files that Origin installs along with the game so that Origin does not need to be open for them to run.

Any list of what games it works with?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RadicalR posted:

Any list of what games it works with?

From the blog:

quote:

So, if you’re like me, you hate having to wait for Origin to do its weird cloud syncing every time I want to play Battlefield, or maybe you’re tired of it not launching your game due to some weird error.
Perhaps you simply don’t want to have the memory overhead of Origin running, or maybe you simply hate Origin for whatever reason.
Well, recently I was looking around Origin’s DRM (which is what forces games to require Origin to be running) and I came across some nice findings.
Apparently, every recent Origin game that uses the new DRM system (awc.dll or Activation.dll) has a file in the same folder as its binary named <MAIN_EXECUTABLE_NAME>.par.
Obviously, that .par file is encoded and not humanly readable, so I took a closer look and figured out that that file contained several game information, as well as parameters to let know the DRM if the game requires Origin to be running (therefore .par).
So after a lot of peeking and messing around, I present to you my new website.
If you want to play games without origin simply visit my website, upload your .par file and you’ll get a brand new one with Origin disabled.
Simply place it in your game folder, replacing the old one, and launch your game as you normally would (via Battlelog, by double-clicking the exe, etc.).
Please note that this will make games that require communication with the Origin process (such as SimCity, FIFA 12, etc.) unplayable.
Note: This is in no way a ‘trick’ to play games for free. In order for this to work you need to have a valid license downloaded to your computer for that specific game.

So basically, any Origin game will work as long as it's not an always-online one. The site started as a simple thing where you dragged and dropped your .par file and it removed the Origin DRM from it, but over time Origin updated to block it out so the guy had to go with a different method. The main cause of upset is that it asks you for your login details (which is a red flag for a lot of people), but the program doesn't communicate them or store them anywhere, it needs to have them to be able to un-hook the .par files from your Origin account.

Also, this does remove the DRM from the game so it is against their terms of service but there's not really any way for them to hit you for it so :shrug:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
How is the online community for Natural Selection 2?

Also which Unreal Tournament has the best online community? 1, 2, 2k4 or 3?

And does Tribes Ascend have a good community?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I finished Idling about 98~ games. Over like 400 cards. 2 foils. Frozen Synapse and Jazzpunk.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm probably a bit to used to playing Fire Emblem on emulators with a save always handy, but playing through 20 minutes of Valkyria Chronicles only for my tank to get one shotted by the boss is getting a bit vexing. I wonder if there's a "save in mid-combat" mod out there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, Shadow Warrior takes a significant step down in quality between acts one and two, what with the change from rad Japanese castles and towns to late 90s FPS warehouses, docks, and sewers, and the introduction of cliff racers and enemies that do nothing but poo poo out speed bump landmines to slow down the gameplay. Pretty bizarre design choices.
The SMG is for the green balls, IMO. And the crossbow with the protection spell for fliers.

Also just spend Ki to grab every perk in the katana tree and a few in the stamina tree and just :black101: the gently caress out of all the greater demons. I'm playing on Hard and pretty much just using the sword 95% of the time for most enemies and just wrecking those huge enemies or almost all large groups with no effort with awesome combos and getting health back. I don't think the extra health perks or healing perks are really needed.

The last third of the game goes back to the awesome Japanese castle aesthetic though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I'm probably a bit to used to playing Fire Emblem on emulators with a save always handy, but playing through 20 minutes of Valkyria Chronicles only for my tank to get one shotted by the boss is getting a bit vexing. I wonder if there's a "save in mid-combat" mod out there.

What.

You can save at any time during your turn, dude.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is there some strange thing going on with the way steam tracks time played?

The last few sessions I've played of Civ: BE has reset the hours played to the length of that session instead of keeping a running total. Then yesterday I launched TF2 for the first time in years to gather promotional items to sell (thanks Gabe), it marked as having 4 hours played. I opened it for like literally a minute.

Weird.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

a friendly reminder to all you out there to update your wishlists, especially if you want games that have been in bundles. I've got a lot of spare keys and a little christmas spirit.

also people give you awesome games like Pyrite Heart:

I <3 short shorts with manly bulges

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 25, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HenryEx posted:

What.

You can save at any time during your turn, dude.
Huh. Thanks.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've had a TF2 hat on at what I thought was a speculative price (about 20% above the long-term average) and it's just gone off. I take it that they're doing another event which is making people lose their minds about buying hats again.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What are some good mech games on sale? I'm looking for fast-paced Gundam-esque ones.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What are some good mech games on sale? I'm looking for fast-paced Gundam-esque ones.

Far as I know, on Steam it's Strike Suit Infinity or nothing. There's a bad front mission game too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sooooo the bread game? It's good? Looks good. Octodadish

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Sooooo the bread game? It's good? Looks good. Octodadish

I Am Bread brings a bunch of poo poo to the fumblecore genre that it probably didn't need, like timers. Just know that going in. Octodad and SS13 are way better, but if you're a diehard fan of the genre, go nuts, it's more of the same.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

John Dough posted:

I've followed the thread for a while, and that didn't come up as a regular bug that I can remember. I'd suggest basic stuff like reinstalling.

endlessmonotony posted:

Download PhysX installer from Nvidia and reinstall it.

EDIT: Like hell do I know if it'll work, but like 90% of the time it was PhysX bugging out for completely indecipherable reasons when Alpha Protocol crashed for me.

The game worked this time after two crashes in a row, weird. Oh well, thanks anyway.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
poo poo. Episode 2 of the Walking Dead Season 2 down, and I'm...impressed. :stare:

While I don't care about the characters as much, and I don't think Clementine is as good a protagonist as Lee (a hell of a lot feels contrived in terms of how she gets through fights, etc), the tension running through a lot of the scenes is absolutely fantastic. I'm under no illusions about my choices effecting the narrative (in Episode 1 I have no doubt that saving Pete instead of Nick would have just resulted in Pete dying anyway and the plot going on as if I'd saved Nick in the first place) thanks to Season 1, but still. Gonna try and pace the rest of the episodes out across the week.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I actually laughed out loud when the little girl volunteered to shut off the complicated machine that everyone else was unwilling to mess with, and NOBODY had any issue with her doing it. I'm enjoying it enough to play through the season, but The Wolf Among Us is leagues better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Maybe they should have made Clem like 2 years older. A 13-or-14-year-old Clem would make all the difference.

In other "Should I buy this eventually" news: thoughts on Divinity: Original Sin?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, having the option to roll your eyes and protest at always doing everything doesn't really justify it. :v:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Speedball posted:

In other "Should I buy this eventually" news: thoughts on Divinity: Original Sin?

I personally enjoyed it. I'd definitely say it's worth picking up.

For my own question. [b]Planetary Annhilation[/p]? I loved TA and Supcom (after it was fixed with the expansion) but this game always looked kinda lackluster. Anyone have an opinion on it? It's only 6 bucks currently.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

lilspooky posted:

I personally enjoyed it. I'd definitely say it's worth picking up.

For my own question. [b]Planetary Annhilation[/p]? I loved TA and Supcom (after it was fixed with the expansion) but this game always looked kinda lackluster. Anyone have an opinion on it? It's only 6 bucks currently.

I got it a while ago and it definitely did not click with me the way TA and Supcom did. Others may feel differently but it feels very stale and unfun to me. Then again, I am a mutant who likes Supreme Commander 2.

edit: Goddamn it, Xenonauts for Steam doesn't have a Mac version?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Speedball posted:

Great game, very much in the style of Ultima 7, in that hit's not too strong on the core story front, but the exploring, combat, puzzles, etc are all super flexible and can be solved a whole mess of ways - either intentionally, or Deus Ex style with copious abuse of NPC line of sight, crate stacking and sneaky use of crates of boom.

It feels a lot like playing a tabletop RPG with a really forgiving DM. You can also play it co-op, but if you go solo you don't lose out on anything. In fact, you have the choice to roleplay both lead characters simultaneously in dialogue, or have whichever you're not directly controlling act according to an NPC personality template.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Merry Christmas steam thread. Even though I don't spend heaps of time in here any more, I still check in here every day and still think, when you're not bitching at each other, you're the best community on the internet. I hope you all had a great Christmas, stay safe and stay awesome.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is it worth getting sleeping dogs (the definitive edition) on sale right now for $10 if I got the original game but never got around to playing it?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Has South Park ever been cheaper than it is now (66% off)? I'm thinking about getting it but I'm a chump that refuses to pay more than $10 for year old games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Do we have a goon group for Depth? Because it's crazy fun and would definitely benefit from organised play.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Has South Park ever been cheaper than it is now (66% off)? I'm thinking about getting it but I'm a chump that refuses to pay more than $10 for year old games.

Nope. You should download enhanced steam though, it will answer this question for you.

edit: hey question, If I buy a ps4 pad, can I use it wirelessly with my computer?

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 26, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
what the hell is fumblecore

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nope. You should download enhanced steam though, it will answer this question for you.

edit: hey question, If I buy a ps4 pad, can I use it wirelessly with my computer?

Absolutely, with the right Bluetooth dongle(the first cheapo one I picked at the store works perfectly but some brands don't work) and the touchpad can control your mouse.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Gyshall posted:

quote:

The thumbsticks (or mouse) pilot a single one of Octodad's arm tentacles in a largely counterintuitive way: One stick moves the tentacle up and down while the other stick moves it forward and backward, relative to the fixed camera. You can pick up most objects in the environment with a shoulder button and, using the thumbsticks to build momentum, awkwardly throw things around.

To walk, you'll have to hit the right and left triggers to lift Octodad's corresponding legs, then use a thumbstick to move them. This results in a graceless, floppy gait that is rarely if ever not funny to watch:

If that control scheme sounds convoluted and confusing, that's because it is—and that's the point. Like QWOP and Surgeon Simulator before it, Octodad is a proud member of a game genre that has come to be affectionately known by some as "Fumblecore." (The game even throws into its indie-reference-laden supermarket scene.)

Fumblecore games have purposefully confounding control schemes that are designed to make players fail in humorous ways rather than allowing us to achieve any sort of mastery. Though with that said, I'm sure some intrepid players will get pretty good at Octodad, and I'm looking forward to watching them play.

http://kotaku.com/octodad-dadliest-catch-the-kotaku-review-1512040710

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Games with intentionally bad controls as the gimmick.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Alright - a little help with idlemaster if anyone can please?

I'm logged into Steam. I've edited the settings.txt file to fill in my sessionID and steamLogin - I've left the other two optional ones blank.

To my knowledge this was all that had to be changed.

When I run the exe - it opens a little window and seems to work. It find the right number of games that have cards to drop, picks one and says it's starting it, but then also says it's sleeping for 15 minutes.

If I check steam - it doesn't appear that I'm in game, and cards don't drop even after hours of not playing anything else simultaneously.

Here's what I'm seeing:

Any ideas? Happy to SAM them instead, but do like the idea of turning this on and forgetting about it instead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do we have a goon group for Depth? Because it's crazy fun and would definitely benefit from organised play.

Seconding this. I want to play depth with people but I am bad at TSB (Third-Shark Biters) so I'd rather play with strangers who post on the same forum as me so I get a little leeway when I screw up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It's not. I've been using it for a very long time because I like Origin and think it's fine and unobtrusive, but I also think that Steam games that just launch Origin are pointless and dumb. All it really does is patch the .par files that Origin installs along with the game so that Origin does not need to be open for them to run.

I don't think there are any games on Steam that also launch Origin though? Unless EA changed that since I last looked.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

A terrible name for clumsimulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

I don't think there are any games on Steam that also launch Origin though? Unless EA changed that since I last looked.

There used to be some but I think they've actually been removed from the Steam store, come to think of it.

• Locked thread