Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chilichimp posted:

This guy needs his own thread.

I just wrote a post about him on FART:

http://www.footballandrationalthoughts.com/2014/11/21/bad-beat-spotlight-omar-kelly-part-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Cross-posted from the Ray Rice thread:

So Deadspin point out something buried in Peter King's column today. Namely, Peter King was directly lied to and manipulated by either the NFL's general counsel, the VP in charge of Labor Relations or by Goodell himself.

http://deadspin.com/peter-king-is-a-goddamn-embarrassment-1665259136

Deadspin posted:

SI.com's Peter King, the most powerful NFL writer in the business, sees his job as flattering other powerful people so that they'll allow him to uncritically pass on whatever they'd like to have passed on. He's very good at it, as the incredible correction buried a couple of thousand words into his latest column shows.

In the second item in the column, King lays out five thoughts and thought-like objects inspired by former federal judge Barbara Jones's recent determination that the NFL overstepped its authority in dropping Ray Rice into a black hole. The first four are unobjectionable. The fifth is this:

I quoted a source in July as saying Janay Rice made a moving case for leniency for Ray Rice during the June 16 meeting. My source was incorrect. According to Judge Jones' report, Janay Rice was asked only one question during the hearing—how she felt—and she cried and said, "I'm just ready for it to be over." I regret the error, and should have vetted the story further before publishing the account of one source.

The reference is, apparently, to this column, in which Janay Rice's "moving case for leniency" is presented as the single most important reason why Roger Goodell suspended Ray Rice for only two games for knocking his wife out in a hotel elevator. It's presented there not just in broad terms, but in concrete, detailed ones:

"Rice's wife, a source said, made a moving and apparently convincing case to Goodell during a June 16 hearing at Goodell's office in Manhattan—attended by Rice, GM Ozzie Newsome, club president Dick Cass of Baltimore; and Goodell, Jeff Pash and Adolpho Birch of the league—that the incident in the hotel elevator was a one-time event, and nothing physical had happened in their relationship before or since. She urged Goodell, the source said, to not ruin Rice's image and career with his sanctions."

(Note the language here: The phrase "apparently convincing" and the word "urged" subtly present harsh punishment as a default position that Janay Rice argued Goodell out of. King is essentially saying that if you think Ray Rice got off too light, you should take it up with his wife.)

This didn't actually happen, though! In her own account of things, in an ESPN as-told-to over which she retained editorial control, Janay Rice is clear on exactly what did:

"I really didn't think they would ask me any questions, but I was asked one. I was surprised I was asked anything at all. One of the NFL executives asked me how I felt about everything. And I broke down in tears. I could hardly get a word out. I just told him that I was ready for this to be over."

There is no way to reconcile this with what King's source described over the summer. And as with a previous King correction involving an element of the Rice case, the journalistic error he's admitting to here is so basic as to be literally unbelievable.

The most generous version of what happened here would involve King getting caught up in a game of telephone, with some lower-level NFL minion's distorted version of what happened in the meeting between the Rices and league and team brass ending up in King's column. This would show King as being willing to run a key detail related by some random flunky without checking it in any way with the principals, who aren't exactly strangers to King. It would paint him as a complete incompetent, and a moron.

It's much more likely, of course, that someone who was in the room—one of the three NFL officials or two Baltimore Ravens officials King places there—lied to him. What he published, after all, wasn't an incorrect version of what actually happened, but something that never happened at all. And it had a very clear beneficiary, allowing Roger Goodell to be seen not as issuing a punishment that showed the NFL doesn't care about domestic violence, but as showing deference to the wishes of a victim.

King, in this version of events, was used as the instrument of a smear campaign, almost certainly by either the league's commissioner, its general counsel, or its senior vice president in charge of labor policy. That's a big goddamn story! A serious reporter, you'd think, would want to expose the powerful people who used his column against Janay Rice. Even allowing a more generous interpretation, you'd think anyone with any curiosity at all would want to know how exactly Janay Rice telling NFL higher-ups she just wanted it all to be over morphed into her pleading for mercy on her husband's behalf.

You don't get to be Peter King by being serious or even curious, though; you get there by doing your job.

If Peter King was an actual journalist he'd be screaming about this from the rooftops, not burying it in his column.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24909466/look-marshawn-lynchs-postgame-interview-was-insulting-as-usual

quote:

I don't think Marshawn Lynch's act with the media is funny. I don't think his defiance is cute, and simply put, I think he goes out of his way to be unprofessional.

But I know many people love his rebellion. When he answers every question with a "yeah" or a "nope," his fans (and people who don't enjoy the media) think he's hi-larious.

So without further ado, here's the transcript from his meeting with the media after the Seahawks blasted the Cardinals 35-6 on Sunday night.

:qq:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I agree with the reporter

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

football fuckerman posted:

I agree with the reporter

Asking the same lovely "how do you feel?" questions is intellectually lazy and boring as hell. Maybe if they tried being good at their jobs and put some effort into it- opposed to acting like jackyls around a carcass- he'd be more willing to talk to them. :shrug:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You think he would? Has he ever shown that?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't care what boring players and coaches have to say about anything unless they're cutting promos on Sal Palantonio or Erin Andrews or screaming about crowning asses. When you click on a game recap on NFL.com, the first video they show you is always some dumb coach press conference where a stressed out old person just recites platitudes and the fact that anyone thinks anyone would ever want to watch that is another indictment of the NFL's self-serious bullshit.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chichevache posted:

Asking the same lovely "how do you feel?" questions is intellectually lazy and boring as hell. Maybe if they tried being good at their jobs and put some effort into it- opposed to acting like jackyls around a carcass- he'd be more willing to talk to them. :shrug:

Yes asking him question about the longest run of his career is pretty lazy.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It is sort of dumb to answer every question "yeah" or "nope" but the entitlement reporters show whenever someone doesn't kowtow to them is ridiculous so basically I am saying put me on Team Lynch in this one.

I mean what insight do they expect to hear from "tell me about that run." What could he possibly say that impacts what everyone thinks about it?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ribsauce posted:

It is sort of dumb to answer every question "yeah" or "nope" but the entitlement reporters show whenever someone doesn't kowtow to them is ridiculous so basically I am saying put me on Team Lynch in this one.

I mean what insight do they expect to hear from "tell me about that run." What could he possibly say that impacts what everyone thinks about it?

You never saw Bart Scott or Richard Sherman answer questions? I'm pretty sure the Sherman rant started with the basic question "Tell me about that last play."

Guys I don't want to be smug and poo poo about being a journalist, but the basic and obvious questions are very valuable for reporters. It's very smart to ask those questions because you just get the person talking about that topic, even if, when written down, the question looks dumb and bland. It's a lot like saying to a musician, "Tell me about the themes on this album." That's a better question than, "It seems like you're dealing with loneliness a lot on this album. Is that a result of having moved across the country in the last 12 months?"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

You think he would? Has he ever shown that?

He's been willing to talk to guys like Deion or do cool spots like these. So yeah, I think he is totally willing to work with guys who don't just harass him with the same tripe every reporter asks every player. He doesn't like doing those pointless fluff comments that are only asked so the reporter can try to generate some lovely click-bait controversy. Yet when people are willing to do a real interview of him where he is allowed to express himself in something other than a quick sound byte he has proven to be willing, in my opinion. I guess it comes down to who you think isn't doing their job properly, the reporter or the football player? I certainly think Lynch has shown a willingness to open up when approached the right way, but maybe you're right and the media should just keep throwing tantrums until he turns into the man they want him to be. :shrug:

You never saw Bart Scott or Richard Sherman answer questions? I'm pretty sure the Sherman rant started with the basic question "Tell me about that last play."

Guys I don't want to be smug and poo poo about being a journalist, but the basic and obvious questions are very valuable for reporters. It's very smart to ask those questions because you just get the person talking about that topic, even if, when written down, the question looks dumb and bland. It's a lot like saying to a musician, "Tell me about the themes on this album." That's a better question than, "It seems like you're dealing with loneliness a lot on this album. Is that a result of having moved across the country in the last 12 months?"

So when you interview a person who doesn't respond to that type of question, do you just keep hammering away at them or do you switch tactics?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

I'm pretty sure Sherman was gonna launch that rant regardless of the question asked. I don't think it was Andrews probing questions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It seems pointless either way, as this seems more like Lynch being a a big ole baby about that fine.

It happened, it is dumb, get over it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

He's been willing to talk to guys like Deion or do cool spots like these. So yeah, I think he is totally willing to work with guys who don't just harass him with the same tripe every reporter asks every player. He doesn't like doing those pointless fluff comments that are only asked so the reporter can try to generate some lovely click-bait controversy. Yet when people are willing to do a real interview of him where he is allowed to express himself in something other than a quick sound byte he has proven to be willing, in my opinion. I guess it comes down to who you think isn't doing their job properly, the reporter or the football player? I certainly think Lynch has shown a willingness to open up when approached the right way, but maybe you're right and the media should just keep throwing tantrums until he turns into the man they want him to be. :shrug:
Yeah, but that's just an entirely different kinda scenario than the post-game interview, which is really a press conference as I understand it. It's impossible to apply the Deion kinda thing when you are just cruising around the locker room looking for quotes.

quote:

So when you interview a person who doesn't respond to that type of question, do you just keep hammering away at them or do you switch tactics?
Fortunately for me, I've never had to interview someone in the post-game kind of environment. If I were on the phone or sitting down with someone and getting nothing, I'd most likely push them more directly. "What is your response to people who'd say, Marshawn should have been in there the whole time?" This would be the same tactic as talking to a politician or public figure who has nothing to say. "What about people who think this is a waste of time and money" usually gets people upset enough to open up a little bit.

In my musician example, well, I've never dealt with a musician as tight-lipped as Marshawn, but if I ever did, I would stand up and say "I'm not sure there's enough here for a story" and they can gently caress themselves. Not an option for the sports guys I guess.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

NC-17 posted:

I'm pretty sure Sherman was gonna launch that rant regardless of the question asked. I don't think it was Andrews probing questions.

Right, that's kinda what I'm saying, don't make him stand there waiting while you ask some brilliant nuanced question

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Belichick is a dick when rolls his eyes and refuses to answer media questions as well. Some people think it's awesome though. Same deal.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Post game interviews are always poo poo, filled with cliche questions and answers. "How's it feel to win" "How's it feel to make a play" "How about this player" then "We had some guys make some key plays, played some good football, feels great to get a win, they are a good football team" etc. Post game locker room interviews are bullshit. The only time they are at all not bullshit is when you get a player like Richard Sherman go nuts like last season.

I have no sympathy for the reporters. They are now targeting Lynch in all the postgame stuff because now they know his apathy is a story itself. I wonder if Marshawn knows this and is deliberately loving with all of them to build his own mystique and have fun, in which case good for him that owns. Or if he's actually not realizing that his antics aren't helping him and that if he really wants to get the media off his back he needs to go full Belichick and be as dry as possible.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't think that's the only time they're valuable. I don't read them, but the Monday morning stories in every NFL city are pretty valuable for lots of people. The Browns got kinda screwed out of a touchdown by the "gave himself up" call this Sunday, for instance, and there was a whole story about that with quotes from like 4 defensive players about it. If the reporter didn't ask those players about it, how is he/she supposed to write a story? Refs aren't really available to the media.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I don't think that's the only time they're valuable. I don't read them, but the Monday morning stories in every NFL city are pretty valuable for lots of people. The Browns got kinda screwed out of a touchdown by the "gave himself up" call this Sunday, for instance, and there was a whole story about that with quotes from like 4 defensive players about it. If the reporter didn't ask those players about it, how is he/she supposed to write a story? Refs aren't really available to the media.

There are plenty of players who want to talk to the media. Go ask them. This dude is clearly bothered by it so why are those reporters so set on harassing him?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's not harassment, it's part of the job. It's the reality of being a pro athlete. He's a starter and usually has a big role in every Seahawks game. Sorry it's hard for him but it's pretty much necessary

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

It's not harassment, it's part of the job. It's the reality of being a pro athlete. He's a starter and usually has a big role in every Seahawks game. Sorry it's hard for him but it's pretty much necessary

"It's not harassment, it's part of the job."
They're repeatedly bothering the dude. That's harassment. You can try and justify it any way you want, but you can't change the definition of the word, man.

And I don't quite get why it is necessary to make the man uncomfortable? Why the pressing need for a statement from a man who doesn't want to give one?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We're also talking about football here, which is maybe the least important thing happening on the planet right now. It's a game. Football press is a game. If some guy playing one game doesn't want to play another game, who cares? Reporters need column inches and they get pissy when he makes it hard for them. Everyone is an overpaid narcissist.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Life if meaningless you guys, don't make that deadline.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Harassment is a crime. Requiring someone to answer questions, which he agreed to when he took the job, is not a crime.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chichevache posted:

"It's not harassment, it's part of the job."
They're repeatedly bothering the dude. That's harassment. You can try and justify it any way you want, but you can't change the definition of the word, man.

And I don't quite get why it is necessary to make the man uncomfortable? Why the pressing need for a statement from a man who doesn't want to give one?

Ham has a point that being an NFL player comes with certain contract requirements that mean Lynch needs to speak with the media or he is breaking a contract he signed, and he should get fined for it. In certain situations Lynch needs to just suck it up and deal with it better than he is. If Lynch did indeed play his music loud on purpose to prevent the reporters from interviewing teammates, that's going too far. Covering yourself is one thing, interfering with others is another.

But you're absolutely right that the reporters are going after him. Look how many stories are getting written about Lynch's press conferences. Reporters know that Lynch is going to provide a sound bite of annoyance and a funny press response that people are going to read about because him trashing the media is hilarious and awesome. There are 52 other players, I'm sure some would love a little spotlight, but everyone is clearly aiming for Lynch as his hatred has just become another angle for reporters to use for stories. If Lynch is aware of this and is just using it to gently caress with the media, he is %100 the best. If he's not, then he's being kind of stupid because there are better ways to get the press off his back. Frankly I think he just has a low bullshit tolerance, and post game interviews are pretty bullshit, so it's fun to watch him gently caress with reporters who could easily talk to any number of other players (Lots of stars on that team) to get a good quote.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 23, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are writing about him in anticipation?

Even as far as belligerence goes he isn't very interesting or entertaining.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are writing about him in anticipation?

Even as far as belligerence goes he isn't very interesting or entertaining.

That was poor wording on my part, I meant more "look how many stories get written about each new press conference he has."

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ricky Williams had such crippling social anxiety that he'd wear his football helmet in the locker room in order to get through the post game interviews. He still did them though because it was his job.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ozu posted:

Ricky Williams had such crippling social anxiety that he'd wear his football helmet in the locker room in order to get through the post game interviews. He still did them though because it was his job.

How on earth was i beaten by this?!

And chiche - just no on what you deem harassment. I mean holy crap.

I got in trouble for coming in late 6 times in 3 months. I was warned after 4 times in 2. Time to file that police report I suppose.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I know it's kind of bullshit that NFL players are required by contract to talk to the media, because it's a pretty transparent way of propping up the business side of the NFL and hooking fans any way they can....but it's still a requirement and I don't think the reporters are wrong for expecting Marshawn to do the basic poo poo outlined in his contract.

I mean keep in mind some reporter had to ask Tim Couch, after he was injured, "What was your reaction to hearing the crowd cheer on the play where you were injured?" Whereas poor Marshawn has to talk about the time he knocked over defenders and scored a touchdown

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
gently caress sports media forever basically

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Football Funhouse › Writing & reporting in today's NFL: gently caress sports media forever basically

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

How on earth was i beaten by this?!

And chiche - just no on what you deem harassment. I mean holy crap.

I got in trouble for coming in late 6 times in 3 months. I was warned after 4 times in 2. Time to file that police report I suppose.

I guess I haven't been clear enough in the past when I've mentioned that I really don't give a poo poo about the American justice system's nonsensical opinions. Like sure, it doesn't qualify by the legal definition, but I never argued that Lynch should be getting a restraining order against the media. They are harassing him, like in the colloquial and dictionary senses of the word.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think athletes "owe" me their thoughts, and the attitude that they do is straight up stupid. Marshawn's contract is for playing football, not giving interviews. He's made it clear that he just doesn't like doing interviews, that it's not personal. Get the gently caress out of his face.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't think athletes "owe" me their thoughts, and the attitude that they do is straight up stupid. Marshawn's contract is for playing football, not giving interviews. He's made it clear that he just doesn't like doing interviews, that it's not personal. Get the gently caress out of his face.

they are actually contractually obligated to speak to the media. That is why they can fine him.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Of all the things that are "straight up stupid" about the collective bargaining agreement, media requirements are hardly in the top 25

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

they are actually contractually obligated to speak to the media. That is why they can fine him.

You remember a couple years ago when I called you a pedant and you didn't know what I was talking about? This is what I was talking about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Chichevache posted:

You remember a couple years ago when I called you a pedant and you didn't know what I was talking about? This is what I was talking about.

Well either I am misunderstanding the point he is trying to make, or he is flat out wrong, pedantry isn't really a factor here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well either I am misunderstanding the point he is trying to make, or he is flat out wrong, pedantry isn't really a factor here.

It kind of is when his point is that all this contractually obligated stuff is nonsense, that the man's job is to be good at football and he does that well. That the needless over complication of the American workplace is so ridiculous that we no longer have janitors but "custodial technicians", and that every job in the world comes with a million dumb clauses and contracts, even if you're a ditchdigger.

Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Is that his point? because he said

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Marshawn's contract is for playing football, not giving interviews.
which is just incorrect, it's not pedantic to say that because it seems like it's central to what he's saying

• Locked thread