Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Disinterested posted:

What military history related poo poo did everyone get for Christmas, then?

I got a PO-2 model kit with night witches decals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Disinterested posted:

Money, that I used to buy hard maple for 250 dollars, so that I can make more hornbows next year.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Disinterested posted:

From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow, The US Maritime Strategy and Lightning Bolts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A bunch of my rear end in a top hat relatives invaded my house talking horrible poo poo about minorities, so you could say I got a fascist invasion for christmas.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well repulse them and turn them into client states and split their houses in two.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there's nothing preventing you from extorting contributions from them, fauxton

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
There is even a D&D thread built for sharing their more lurid remarks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Disinterested posted:

I got some puma shoes, so I guess I'm aiding and abetting the ghosts of NAZIs past.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The March of Folly by Barbara Tuchman. Got A Distant Mirror: The Turbulent 14th century last Christmas, looking forward to reading this one.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Another late WW2 story:

My grandfather became a German POW after his unit of the Royal Yugoslav Army surrendered, without doing any actual fighting. He was initially assigned to a sugar factory, where he ate nothing but boiled sugar beets for several months. Fortunately, Allied POWs at an adjoining camp would regularly toss their Red Cross food packages over the fence to help out the "guest workers".

He was then assigned to a German farm near Dresden owned by a nice German farmer named Klaus iirc. One of the first people he ran into at the farm was the owner's grandfather, who pointed to him, pointed to his missing leg and said something to the effect of "your grandfather, in 1915 at the Drina" and then laughed. My grandfather was really impressed by all the farming machinery and the ubiquitous radio sets. I remember him noting how increasingly cynical and hostile the Germans got towards HItler's and Goebbels' speeches on the radio as the war progressed. The farmowner wound up losing two of his sons on the Eastern Front during the course of the war.

Near the end of the war, he witnessed one of the attacks on Dresden, luckily while hiding under a horse cart full of coal on the outskirts of the city, feeling the terrifying vibrations thorough the ground. Around this time he remembers hearing the unique engine noises of Red Air Force planes for the first time, having become accustomed to the sounds of American/British aircraft. When the Red Army eventually appeared, he along with other workers vouched to the Soviet authorities that they had been well-treated by the German farm owner (who was hiding from Soviet troops in one of his chicken coops at the time). During the post liberation festivities, a Russian officer my grandfather had befriended became drunk and belligerent and pulled a gun on him, saying that he had every right to kill him since he had liberated him. Luckily, he wrestled the gun away, knocked him out and they were best friends again in the morning, the whole incident forgotten.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

I got a hat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Disinterested posted:

I got a bunch of books:

-When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler
-The Battle of Kursk by Glantz
-Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire
-The End by Kershaw
-Enterprise: The History of America's Fightingest Ship
-Arabs at War

Plus the rulebook to the wargame Bolt Action and some models that haven't actually gotten here yet. Fun times!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

cool a tan vagina

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I got a bunch of books:

-When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler
-The Battle of Kursk by Glantz
-Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire
-The End by Kershaw
-Enterprise: The History of America's Fightingest Ship
-Arabs at War

Plus the rulebook to the wargame Bolt Action and some models that haven't actually gotten here yet. Fun times!

Christmas? more like Milhistmas. Nice.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Baracula posted:

cool a tan vagina

An olive drab vagina :colbert:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Libluini posted:

Vietnamese people are also common in former West Germany, just for different reasons. (Germany took in a lot of refugees when South Vietnam folded.)

The Chinese restaurant our family was going to for about ten years straight for our Christmas dinners was operated by a Vietnamese family.

A large portion of the Vietnamese that fled South Vietnam were ethnic Chinese, who like in many SE Asian countries formed a business and trading elite and were not very much liked by the Vietnamese communists.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Disinterested posted:

I got When Titans Clashed by David Glantz and Jonathan House.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ensign Expendable posted:

An olive drab vagina :colbert:

You wait till I tell Olive what you said about her pussy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Christmas? more like Milhistmas. Nice.

I'm almost afraid to count how many pages all five volumes of From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow is.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Disinterested posted:

My parents decided to enact the cold war throughout the festivities :smith: .

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xthetenth posted:

I'm almost afraid to count how many pages all five volumes of From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow is.

I remember paying something like 200 pounds for the complete set at a used bookstore back when it was still out of print a few years back. Turns out I got the Churchill College research library's copy.

Worth it at the time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I received a family anecdote about my great uncle who was a marine in the pacific. He was a radioman (which could be hazardous since the nice tall antenna drew a lot of attention) and participated in 7 combat landings without getting a scratch. That was fortunate, because it turns out that his dog tags had the wrong blood type on them. I'm sure somebody somewhere died because of that.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I got Barbara Tuchmann's The Zimmerman Telegram and Sun Tzu's The Art of War (with commentary). I'm more interested in the commentary to be honest.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I remember paying something like 200 pounds for the complete set at a used bookstore back when it was still out of print a few years back. Turns out I got the Churchill College research library's copy.

Worth it at the time.

Nice. My copy of The US Maritime Strategy is a retired library copy. I'm glad I waited till the centenary for a reprint though, the set was like 100 bucks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Disinterested posted:

My girlfriend got me two tickets for a 15 minute ride in a FV432. The ticket originally says "tank ride", but, having been educated (by me, because I like rambling about stuff I like)) on the finer differences between a tank and an APC, she had put stickers with "APC" where it was written "tank". It's so cute, I can't bear it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You fool, you said 'bear' in the Military History thread! You have doomed us all!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Ferroque posted:

I got Barbara Tuchmann's The Zimmerman Telegram and Sun Tzu's The Art of War (with commentary). I'm more interested in the commentary to be honest.

The Zimmerman Telegram is really good. One of those strange than fiction stories.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

JcDent posted:

My girlfriend got me two tickets for a 15 minute ride in a FV432. The ticket originally says "tank ride", but, having been educated (by me, because I like rambling about stuff I like)) on the finer differences between a tank and an APC, she had put stickers with "APC" where it was written "tank". It's so cute, I can't bear it.

I think you may have to marry this person.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

my dad posted:

You fool, you said 'bear' in the Military History thread! You have doomed us all!

All bear talk should go in the bear thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373768

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

BurningStone posted:

The Zimmerman Telegram is really good. One of those strange than fiction stories.

Oh yeah, I'm really excited to dive in. I meant that the commentary for The Art of War interests me more than the text alone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BurningStone posted:

I had always kind of assumed the British had faked it because it was so goddam stupid, until I learned that Zimmerman admitted it was genuine. Jeebus, don't they teach you how to lie in diplomat school? Being able to come up with a genuine sounding denial should be the first or second lesson, after which fork to use while spying.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Who was it who asked about standards of cleanliness? I just read a guy writing a manual in the early 1600s advocate changing the location of your fortified camp every few days because of the stench.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HEY GAL posted:

Who was it who asked about standards of cleanliness? I just read a guy writing a manual in the early 1600s advocate changing the location of your fortified camp every few days because of the stench.

Was it just crazy talk to propose cleaning the fortified camp? Or at least keeping the latrine further away from the rest?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chamale posted:

Was it just crazy talk to propose cleaning the fortified camp? Or at least keeping the latrine further away from the rest?
Dude, these are people who will offer to throw down with officers right there if they don't like the orders they're given, and a lot of times if you tell them to do something they expect tips for doing it. Not to mention that they consider digging beneath them. You try to get them to police the camp.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I got an Osprey book about the IJA from 1931-1942 and 1914-1918 by David Stevenson, which looks interesting.

HEY GAL posted:

Wouldn't people want to do that anyway because it smells like death? I assume that a few thousand soldiers with no concept of sanitation would create something that looks and smells like a poo poo swamp after a few days.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

MrYenko posted:

Most Cuban food is pretty mild. Most Cubans I know are enormous spicy-food weenies, and won't even eat hot wings.

Do you know, you can get reasonably decent Chinese food anywhere in Cuba.
An odd but pleasant surprise.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Don Gato posted:

Wouldn't people want to do that anyway because it smells like death? I assume that a few thousand soldiers with no concept of sanitation would create something that looks and smells like a poo poo swamp after a few days.
Most everyone else who isn't a soldier is a farmer. Livestock are often kept inside. I have a sneaking suspicion the world just smelled like that all the time anyway.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I dunno, lots of other societies bathed. I think the european barbarians tended towards this other kind of behaviour.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Disinterested posted:

I got a book on the NPC Empires of Eve Online. Does that count? It's not nearly as interesting as the actual Player Empire wars, though there is a book being written about that coming out next year. I'm going to write on the inside cover a better name for it: SirMolle: My Part In His Downfall.

I got my dad to talk about his dad today. Apparently he joined the infantry and thought they were bloody idiotic so went and joined the RAAF instead. He got sent to Canada for training and wrote back the first week to say they were bloody idiotic too. Then he left my grandmother which was bloody idiotic so he must have learnt something from the experience.

Later he got sent to Papa New Guinea and said he didn't fly anything but fly and do weather reports, but he may have flew in the late war in Kittyhawks, which would have been mostly obsolete by then. I still have his Pilot's hat.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phobophilia posted:

I dunno, lots of other societies bathed. I think the european barbarians tended towards this other kind of behaviour.

Europeans used to bathe a lot more in the Middle Ages. Then, for one thing, Protestants closed down the bathhouses.

Hell, even in my period medical texts will mention the importance of bathing for therapeutic purposes, like with specific herbs and such. The environment may have been gross, but you need not be.

I think Hobbes spent hours every day in the bath, but he was a very nervous person due to the things he had lived through.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 26, 2014

• Locked thread