Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

My sole beer tonight was a 375 of Tilquin Squared. I really like regular-rear end-Tilquin, but while it is a good beer I don't think I like it as much as regular. It's clearly a beefier beer, with a much stronger oak presence than the original, but there isn't a stronger brett presence to help balance things. I don't age a whole lot of beer intentionally for flavour development, but I'm hoping that aging my other bottle a couple more years will help bring out some funkiness with that oak character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I ate a Velvet Merkin for the first time and it was not what I expected, but also still awesome. I wasn't aware going in that it was a regular, non-imperial oatmeal stout at "only" 8%. Tons of flavor though, lots of vanilla and chocolate and bourbon, and a silky.. maybe even velvety mouth feel, while still being quite light in body. This shouldn't work, but it totally does anyway. I'm just having a hard time reconciling the big barrel taste with the super-blastable nature of the overall beer. You really have to understand what you're getting or else you'll be like "wtf this is so thin!!" The price is kind of high for what this is, but the quality is also super high, so gently caress it.

Also I just realized the Pliny we've been wildly imbibing the last couple days is less than a week old. Gotta drink it all within the next 24 hours or it'll be poo poo

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

krustster posted:

Also I just realized the Pliny we've been wildly imbibing the last couple days is less than a week old. Gotta drink it all within the next 24 hours or it'll be poo poo

I have a bottle of Enjoy By for today's family celebration that is due to go off tomorrow. I'm really cutting it down to the wire. :ohdearsass:

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 25, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Merry Christmas, beer thread! I am watching children open gifts while drinking a Track 8 and eating cookies.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I bought myself a case of Habanero Sculpin for Christmas! And my girlfriend bought me 2 4-packs of Carton 077XX. Best Christmas ever!

Apache
May 11, 2004

No beery presents this year for me, but I'll be enjoying my second bottle of Pliny the Elder later today courtesy of a trade with wattershed. How long does it really take to drop off? The bottles are about a month old, but I found the first one to be great.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Merry Christmas beer goons! I hope you all have a great holiday! I got a kegging setup so I gotta up my homebrew game in 2015!

krustster posted:

I ate a Velvet Merkin for the first time and it was not what I expected

New thread title

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 25, 2014

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Wamsutta posted:

YYYEEEAAAhhhh man. Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna look for it later.

You're down in fairfield county, right? I know its a bit further, but I saw some people managed to get some at the Total Wines in Norwalk. If you wind up in the New Haven area, The Outer Space had it on tap as of tuesday (and is a loving amazing place to boot).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

LeafHouse posted:

Merry Christmas beer goons! I hope you all have a great holiday! I got a kegging setup so I gotta up my homebrew game in 2015!

Nice! We kids got my Father In Law abb all grain upgrade for his brewing setup.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

Nice! We kids got my Father In Law abb all grain upgrade for his brewing setup.

Sweet! Thats pretty cool that your father in law brews. My family isn't super into beer but they enable me plenty so I can't complain too much haha. The face my grandma makes whenever I make her try a beer is priceless.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

LeafHouse posted:

Sweet! Thats pretty cool that your father in law brews. My family isn't super into beer but they enable me plenty so I can't complain too much haha. The face my grandma makes whenever I make her try a beer is priceless.

We got him into it with last year's Christmas present. He's super hard to shop for, and I seemed to crack the code with brewing. We're opening our bourbon oaked stout today. :guinness:

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Merry Christmas, nerds. Hope you are all drinking better than I am. The Phoenix burbs suck.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Having a Pairie cherry funk. Light tartness and cherry flavor. Not bad at all.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Harpoon UFO, whiny nieces, and the flu

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I'm 'on call' until 8PM... allowed myself one beer all day just to get my untapped Xmas badge....

A 2011 Avery The Beast. Not impressed with this beer at all. Its sweet and I dunno. Just boozy as all hell.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Is Dissident or any of the other Deschutes barrel aged bombers worth the price? One place was making a big deal about how they just got Dissident in and people were grabbing wild amounts but it was sitting in large quantities at other stores. Abyss is here too but I don't feel like hanging onto it for however many years. I was thinking about Mirror Mirror for a while but now I'm not so sure for $18.

Apache posted:

No beery presents this year for me, but I'll be enjoying my second bottle of Pliny the Elder later today courtesy of a trade with wattershed. How long does it really take to drop off? The bottles are about a month old, but I found the first one to be great.

Some claim that it drops off sharply after a couple weeks or a month, but you can probably add at least a month to that because let's not be ridiculous. My hilarious comment was just kind of a joke about how five day old beer is already too old. They just turned a week old today so the last four will have to be tossed. :smith:

krustster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 25, 2014

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

My take on Deschutes bombers ...

Abyss : Screw the haters. I love this beer. Yes sitting on it sucks, but I actually think it's fairly solid fresh.... of course to each his own. I can see why "back in the day" it was a bigger deal than it is now.. as it doesn't have anything really defining about it that sets it apart from everything else.

Dissident : never had it, want to try it

Black Butte Anniversary : This year's was awesome. Wanna get one or two more before it goes away forever.

Not the Stoic : I loved this beer a lot fresh. I have 4 in the cellar I think. I like the pomegranate quality.

Mirror Mirror : Unsure at this point. Very good barleywine but I had it the same weekend I had a Straight Jacket so I left unimpressed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I bought myself a case of Habanero Sculpin for Christmas! And my girlfriend bought me 2 4-packs of Carton 077XX. Best Christmas ever!

I got an 8-pack of red Gatorade. Will come in so very useful.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Westy 12, Vanilla Framinghammer and Rueuze Mimosas. My family is switching over to the tequila and moonshine now so wish me luck.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Nothing I can consume immediately, but in a couple of months I will be at Brewvival, so that works.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Merry Christmas goons! I started by finishing off a growler of Nelson with my dad, moved on to Peche N Brett and ending with 2012 3F OG. Last but not least is having Great with desert.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
So much beer.

Rodenbach Caractère Rouge, Cantillion Iris, PW As You Wish, Darkness 2014, Avery Tweak, BCBS 2009 & 2010 and probably some other stuff.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Killed a Grey Monday and Arctic Devil yesterday along with dat 10.7% rootbeer beer. Grey Monday was amazing and Arctic Devil was good but basically all barrel.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vertigo posted:

I'm 'on call' until 8PM... allowed myself one beer all day just to get my untapped Xmas badge....

A 2011 Avery The Beast. Not impressed with this beer at all. Its sweet and I dunno. Just boozy as all hell.

One 17% beer :ssh:

Had an Embrasse from De Dochter that my wife and I brought back from our trip to Belgium. The guy in the beer shop in Brussels would not shut up about how awesome it was. It's a very tasty Belgian Dark Strong. Went down nicely after a lot of rich food. It has that Belgian hallmark of being full of flavor but finishing dry and not as filling as you'd expect from the initial taste and ABV.

Followed up with some 2 week old Pliny which was great as always.

Got some Westy 12 in the fridge from that same trip but am on caloric overload and not sure I can do it tonight... That might get saved for NYE.

Beery Christmas, goons.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 26, 2014

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We had some really great wine on Christmas Eve, but the malbecs we opened today were not very good. Righting all wrongs with lemon meringue pie + AV Blood Orange Gose.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Dem Bones posted:

Going to repeat the experiment at Christmas with:
Saison Dupont
2012 BFM ASBC (Oak) - this is what I'd had/loved before when I picked up the 2006
Tilquin Gueuze
AleSmith YuleSmith Winter
DFH Kvasir
Shitload of Strong-rear end Winter/Christmas Ales (Corsendonk, Samichlaus, St. Bernardus, Gouden Carolus, Delirium, Scaldis, Mad Elf, Adoration)

Did this with the last minute additions of some BFM sqrt(225), Evil Twin Turkish Delight, Bruery 7 Swans, and Green Man Holly King. A new holiday tradition is born

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

The full hit list today:
Cherrywood-bourbon aged Irish Stout (my own homebrew)
Oak-bourbon aged Irish Stout (my own homebrew, same batch as above with a different wood and longer time period in secondary)
Chimay Bleue (Grande Réserve)
Samuel Adams New World
Samuel Adams Tetravis
Samuel Adams 13th Hour Stout
Stone Enjoy By 12.26.14

In addition to the Chimay and Enjoy By that I brought, my Father-In-Law had the 3 Sam Adams Barrel Bombers that we needed to get through as well. It was a fun time.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Today I murdered quite a bit of my Trillium haul, double pot & kettle, which was lush, pot & kettle w/ coffee, which was carbonated cold brew in the best possible way, and melcher st ipa, which is my least favorite of their IPAs so far.

I also had cascade cranberry, which seemed to be a perfect fit for the season and was even more of a let down than I could have expected.

Anderson Valley gose is making every thing right

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Beery Chrimbus,,,

I had--
Tired Hands The Emptiness is not Eternal- awesome wine barrel saison, nice tartness from the barrel that wasn't overpowering, just the right amount of refreshing funk and the dandelion + honey were subtle but added the the enjoyment. I haven't had anything quite like it. Also it had very low carbonation so this seems to encapsulate the Tired Hands Experience that I've heard of. thanks HatfulOfHollow,,,,,

RR Beatification- YUUUUuuuu so good. Not as sour as I expected since I was warned multiple times that it was super sour. Incredible clean sour lemon + lemon custard + banana like aroma. The hint of sweeter tropical fruits (no fruit in the beer) really went well with the sour and slight funk. I didn't think it could be as good as people were saying, on paper it looked kind of one-note, but holy balls what a wonderful treat.

RR Consecration batch 3 (2009)- pretty wild, I can't say it was "past its prime" but the five years of age seemed to increase the sour and funk beyond my tolerance level. Still very excellent, lots of dark wine flavor and a ton of oak barrel, but also a fairly strong acetone/rum-like aroma and taste that probably wasn't there when it was fresh. And so sour, moreso than Beatification, with an intensely drying finish. I think I would like this one better fresh. It was a monster either way, so much going on.

Ballast Point Victory at Sea- super tasty imperial porter with vanilla and coffee, great for any occasion!

All this was consumed to the tune of my 4 year old nephew screaming and throwing poo poo and generally being a rotten bastard. Big thanks to my boy right here,

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Side-by-side of Bernardus Abt 12 and Westvleteren 12 confirm I'm still a godless heathen who likes Bernardus slightly better. The Westy's changed with two years of age - more complex than it was, heavier dark fruit with significant dark cherry notes. Both of these are five-star beers in my book, and I'm incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to compare them directly multiple times. I'd still go to extremes to get some Westvleteren of any type, even with the high availability of Bernardus.

Christmas Eve I went to CraftHaus Brewery to wish the brewers some season's greetings and stumbled into their two-for-one growler deal. I only had one growler with me so they gifted me a second and sent me on my way with twice as much beer as I was expecting. I'll have to start my Boxing Day drinking earlier than planned to finish all of this.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

All roight it's time to gear up for my hot Philly visit from 12/30 to 1/3. Drop a line if you'd like to hang out/rock out somewhere.

If I have the time I'd like to hit up upstate a little bit, wouldn't mind finding out what all this PIzza Boy malarkey is all about...

In other news, I had a fine time at Richmond before Xmas with funkybottoms, who showed me around Ardent (which is a lot larger-size than I've been led on to think). They make quite a lot of solid beers and IPAs with experimental hop mixes and so on, and it's also in an old building that they did up very attractively on the inside. A+++ would drink at again. Triple Crossing is also pretty solid, and The Answer (built in a former sleazy Asian nightclub two doors down from Mekong, An should just take over the whole strip mall and turn it into a beer amusement park) is a nice locale that they intend to start brewing in before too long. Got to meet some of the staff there as well, including a gentleman who just came from Vt and had a hatchback full of Hill stuff.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Got to meet some of the staff there as well, including a gentleman who just came from Vt and had a hatchback full of Hill stuff.

ah, you do Dustin a disservice- he is a friend of mine, not an employee, and he literally just started handing us multiple bottles/growlers of Hill Farmstead before i made him stop. a good dude, for certain.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Finally made it Russian River tonight, only to be greeted with...a long line! Apparently it's been like this all year. It took about 40 minutes to enter the building.

Inside... more lines! except not actually a line, more of a giant disorganized crowd. We got a table after another hour or so.

Also it took like 40 minutes from when I said "we'll take the bill" until we were able to actually pay and leave. What a madhouse.

But the beer was good of course. I got a Supplication and a Blind Pig and both were awesome, I think Pliny is better than Pig but they're very similar. I also got the sampler because it was only $16 for 2oz pours of all 18 beers, in accordance with happy hour. Highlights were Consecration, which was way tastier (for me) when fresh, Row 2 Hill 56 which was a really nice regular pale ale with a similar hop profile to Blind Pig and Pliny, Sanctification, a great 100% brett ale, and Shadow of a Doubt which was a lot more flavorful than even an imperial porter had any right to be. Honestly most of the beers outside of the big names were a bit dull but hey, a good time was had anyway. Bottles were plentiful and I got a few to take home.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RiggenBlaque posted:

You're down in fairfield county, right? I know its a bit further, but I saw some people managed to get some at the Total Wines in Norwalk. If you wind up in the New Haven area, The Outer Space had it on tap as of tuesday (and is a loving amazing place to boot).

I'm actually in Norwalk, yeah. I checked Total Wines, BevMax, and Stew Leonard's Wines (sounds odd but they usually get random rare-ish stuff other beer stores don't), nada. Fairfield County is the loving worst for beer. I'm done hunting for this poo poo, maybe I'll stumble across it one day through sheer luck once the hype dies down. What's loving ridiculous is it's not for sale in the store at Two Roads, where it's loving brewed.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

bartolimu posted:

Side-by-side of Bernardus Abt 12 and Westvleteren 12 confirm I'm still a godless heathen who likes Bernardus slightly better. The Westy's changed with two years of age - more complex than it was, heavier dark fruit with significant dark cherry notes. Both of these are five-star beers in my book, and I'm incredibly lucky to have had the opportunity to compare them directly multiple times. I'd still go to extremes to get some Westvleteren of any type, even with the high availability of Bernardus.

Christmas Eve I went to CraftHaus Brewery to wish the brewers some season's greetings and stumbled into their two-for-one growler deal. I only had one growler with me so they gifted me a second and sent me on my way with twice as much beer as I was expecting. I'll have to start my Boxing Day drinking earlier than planned to finish all of this.

I'm about an hour north in Reading, let me know if you're interested in checking out St Boniface in Ephrata. They make great brews and they sell cans now.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Ran down to Tired Hands for MagoTago today. Got a small growler of it, and 3 other small growlers of other beers. Had their Truth Bombs on tap and was really impressed with that one as well.

Jean is getting ready to open his new brewhouse and was talking to a bu nch of people about it.

Seems like they're getting to explode.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

All roight it's time to gear up for my hot Philly visit from 12/30 to 1/3. Drop a line if you'd like to hang out/rock out somewhere.

If I have the time I'd like to hit up upstate a little bit, wouldn't mind finding out what all this PIzza Boy malarkey is all about...

In other news, I had a fine time at Richmond before Xmas with funkybottoms, who showed me around Ardent (which is a lot larger-size than I've been led on to think). They make quite a lot of solid beers and IPAs with experimental hop mixes and so on, and it's also in an old building that they did up very attractively on the inside. A+++ would drink at again. Triple Crossing is also pretty solid, and The Answer (built in a former sleazy Asian nightclub two doors down from Mekong, An should just take over the whole strip mall and turn it into a beer amusement park) is a nice locale that they intend to start brewing in before too long. Got to meet some of the staff there as well, including a gentleman who just came from Vt and had a hatchback full of Hill stuff.

Get up with me when you get in the city. Things to be on the lookout for:

A lot more Bullfrog has been finding it's way down here over the last 6 months or so. I just checked PhillyTapFinder and there are 2 bars each pouring multiple Jong Bruin variants. But even outside of their sours, they have a pretty nice lineup. Gregg's Choice is an English mild brewed with coffee, which is pretty great if you're into that sort of thing (I am). And Edgar is a pretty great DIPA, but my tastes in that style are much more east than west coast, so ymmv.

Be on the lookout for Saint Benjamin on tap. They're a new 3 barrel nano brewery that just opened in Kensington. They don't have a facility you can visit yet, but their beer is starting to make the rounds. Their flagships include a coffee kolsch, a california common, a spicy saison, and a pale ale that tastes more English than American though it's billed as the latter. I don't have much to say about them as I'm still hunting down their entire catalog before I make a definitive judgement, but I'll say they're at least doing some nonstandard things that seem interesting on paper.

2nd Story Brewing moved into the old Triumph Brewing space in Old City and just had their grand opening. What I've had so far has been quite good. Riverwards, the IPA currently on tap, was brewed by one of the guys in my homebrew club. He won the chance to brew it on a production scale for winning last year's Philly Homebrew Cup.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

A suprising but welcome Alesmith tap takeover in a bar near me going on today. What should I be drinking, given I onlly have the time to really try one or two?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So since Super Hassler is in Philly until Jan 3rd, I'm off completely Jan 1st. Any chance we could get a meet-up going?

PS: I'm going to Forgotten Boardwalk tomorrow (Sunday) if anyone would like to meet up for a little. I'm planning to be there by 1pm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spuckuk posted:

A suprising but welcome Alesmith tap takeover in a bar near me going on today. What should I be drinking, given I onlly have the time to really try one or two?

probably waaaay too late on this, but if they have any Speedway variants, drink the hell out of them.