Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

You think that's weird, there's another Mr. Chips on the forums. Every once in a while he (or she) posts in a thread I read too :stare:
If you kill them, you gain their strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Meryy Christmas all!
Spent the day drinking and watching movies :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Girlfriend loved the iPad, I love my toolbox, great holiday overall.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
/\/\/\ What brand of box?

triple clutcher posted:

someone gave themselves a new bed for Christmas.

I love the eyes and want to pet this dog :)

One of you posted a snapchat of your weenie dog opening his Christmas present and it was adorable. So then I snappchatted my black cocker trying to get romantic with my leg lol.

Also after all of our beer chat the other night, I have to share with you all what my wife picked me up for Christmas... Not to brag, but because I could see you all being interested in getting one yourselves: http://growlerwerks.com/products-2/

It's a growler that pressurizes so that you don't have to drink it all within a day or two. I had actually stopped getting growlers for the most part because a growler worth of beer over two days is often a bit much for me, but if I can spread it over a week or two... Awesome!

Merry Christmas AI :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, this AL guy is getting a lot of love.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cakefool posted:

Ooh cool, got any pictures? When I've got workshop/garage space there's a couple of projects that need speakers, not my area of expertise though.

What's your opinion on the HTC phones with the ff speakers?

Pictures? Sure.

You wanted this, right? Just dug it out of the garage. Seems all in order. It's an Elite Mag Alu from of old.

Speakers. These are all PA speakers, though I've built a sub for the movie room and am looking into doing a few floorstanders/bookshelf speakers at some point.

Crossovers for the tops. These cover 100hz upwards.

Shells for the tops, they're horn loaded with a tweeter array at the front.

A crossfiring array of 12 tweeters which is an absolute arse to manufacture.

All the goodies are arranged in a non-descript black box with a mesh front (60% open area) and acoustically transparent foam for protection.

And rolling them into a venue for a gig.

These were the first edition sub design I put together, a relatively short path length of 7ft which gives them a range of 45hz to say 200hz but I never run them over 100hz because they're subs.

The subs are folded horns, this one having a path length of 11ft which gives it an output down to 25hz.

Parallel wiring to enable multiples to be ran together with just a short link cable.

A pair of my sub children. These things are 5' long but surprisingly light considering the labyrinth of path inside.

All speakers are thoroughly tested much to the annoyance of the neighbour several houses away. Any time you want a DJ to come over, announce you're getting the PA out in the back garden...

Running subs with different path lengths is generally frowned upon due to phase issues but I was having none of that so did a little test...

...which resulted in my measurement mic getting a beating aaaaand a hi score in excess of 120db. Now rock concerts and nightclubs are usually pegged at 110db (which is stupidly loving loud and will murder your hearing in short order) and these were running 120db. The decibel scale is logarithmic, so another 6db on top of 110db = twice as loud. Add another 4db+ on top of that and yeah, stupidly loving loud indeed. So loud that I have nothing to measure it with. Unless I were to get pretty far away from the setup. Mic was a good 3/4m away.

I should add that all 4 subs and all 4 tops can be run together and have been run together for a few gigs we've done. The (7U) rack contains power distribution, RTA, EQ, Crossover, limiting and a grand total of 1000w of amps. The designs are just so efficient they really don't take much to get loud. It's pretty funny to roll into a venue and start setting up, people have asked where the amp rack was and I just point to this tiny little cube and they start shaking their heads in disbelief. You then get everything set up and they hear it and they're believers. When it's running it just sounds like a massively powerful hi-fi setup, the clarity is serious, so much so you just don't realise how loud it's playing. I had the measurement mic set up at the back of the room in one joint and it was pegging 116db and you didn't have to scream into someone's ear when they were stood next to you. It's weird, the sub designs sound so clean and people just aren't used to the lack of distortion coming out of them.

Anyway I've rambled so anyone who isn't interested I apologise for making you scroll. And I hope you've all had a merry christmas.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrChips posted:

You think that's weird, there's another Mr. Chips on the forums. Every once in a while he (or she) posts in a thread I read too :stare:

Also, Merry Christmas you grease monkeys.

There's an nmfree on the forums and every time he posts, I think ”gently caress you.”

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

nm posted:

There's an nmfree on the forums and every time he posts, I think ”gently caress you.”

There's a notthegoatseguy, and I smugly think, "you're loving right, because that's ME! I'm the goatse guy!"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I discovered the joys of heated mirrors versus fog. I press one button and whoosh, mirrors cleared.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think The Dude is warming up to me a bit.

Potato cam selfie taken while laying on the couch. He stayed there purring his head off for a good 20-30 minutes until I moved the pillow into a more comfortable position, which spooked him. Poor guy is still skittish, but hopefully he'll get less skittish as time goes on.

I'm really surprised how fast he's warmed up to me (and everyone else in the house), and that he's already explored the entire house; AC brought him over late on Monday night, so he's only been here a little less than 3 days. He still hides under furniture a bit, but it's easy to coax him out. And once he's out, if anyone is sitting or laying down nearby, he's in their lap or curled up against them. He even walked into the dog's kennel while the dog was laying down yesterday, flopped over, and started kneading on the dog. Diego had a very, very confused look on his face, he still associates "get too close to cat = get bitchslapped by cat".

88h88 posted:

amps/speakers :words:

Holy poo poo. I had no idea how much engineering went into speakers of that size.

I'm really amazed that 1000 watts is able to push all of that... especially to literal deafening levels in a nightclub. I always thought it was "buy PA speakers, buy big rear end amp rack".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 26, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

Pictures? Sure.

You wanted this, right? Just dug it out of the garage. Seems all in order. It's an Elite Mag Alu from of old.

Yes please, I've a decade of lard to start working off. Let me know where and when I can pick it up, you're a star.

88h88 posted:

science !

I don't understand most of it but it's beautiful :stare: Eventually I want a cnc router, looks like I can add another project to the justification list.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dad continues to be an enabler, now I've got a coax and a fixed-pitch single rotor. Also, a proper HOTAS setup for my flight sims so I don't have to fly with a 360 pad. My parents are the best :3:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I got a chandelier :3:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

AI as poo poo fukken Christmas, I am going hog wild over here with loot:

Parents gave me this LEGO set (gently caress yes), Husky torque wrench, BMW book and a bunch of cash with the requirement "must be spent on 4x4 stuff". Also a jumbo can of PBlaster:

tasteful salt & pepper neckbeards ftw:

Not particularly AI, but my grandfather gave me my great-grandfather's Colt Cavalry model something-or-other from pre-1900... I'm named after him, so it's a big deal for me. I had heard rumors of it's existence and my grandmother always said I should have it, but after she passed away he said he "couldn't find it", went pretty crazy, and I gave up on anything like that. Seems he dug it up, and it's in beautiful shape:

My incredible amazing girlfriend, knowing my obsession & borderline worship of Hunter Thompson, went and found these plates online and bought them for me. She just figured they were cool old plates along the lines of the "Savage Journey into the heart of the American Dream" bit that Thompson always wrote about, but after emailing the seller it turns out he was an old drinking buddy of Thompsons - who regaled her with stories of shooting frozen turkeys in the woods and their favorite watering holes in Colorado. He's been emailing her wild, Thompson-esque gibberish for weeks now and just started asking for pics of her, so I think he's probably legit:

:toot::toot::toot::toot::toot:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, those plates are loving awesome! Majorly jealous man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T1g4h posted:

Absolutely. Please copy the emails here.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 26, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Those plates rule. I'm also a huge fan of HST.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Interview is an absolute comedy masterpiece. That is all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

She's already said if she gets my Mazda 3 I can trade her Civic to fund a Subaru wagon project.

Also drives a manual.

Has she been indoctinated to WRC?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

revmoo posted:

The Interview is an absolute comedy masterpiece. That is all.

Seriously. Just finished it, it's actually pretty goddamn funny.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Merry Christmas, all of you. You may be a bunch of degenerates with questionable life choices, but you're my degenerates.

Also, watching my two year old lose her poo poo about toys and get so excited about some of them that she doesn't even want to open more, is pretty awesome.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
drat, thats a nice old pistol. .45 long colt?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I got thai food instead of chinese

am I a bad jew?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

IOwnCalculus posted:

Merry Christmas, all of you. You may be a bunch of degenerates with questionable life choices, but you're my degenerates.

Also, watching my two year old lose her poo poo about toys and get so excited about some of them that she doesn't even want to open more, is pretty awesome.

Merry Christmas you auto nazi!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Merry Christmas, ya primitive screwheads!

My dad dug up this piece of nifty-ness from somewhere:

That, friends and neighbors, is a 1959 Oldsmobile Trans-portable AM radio. It docks into the car to provide the tuner and amp, and pops out for listening on the beach or whatever.

There's a fold-out carry handle:

Here's what it looks like in it's native environment:

And IT WORKS!
The in-dash unit is pricey in working order, so probably not going to get that, especially not having a 1959 Olds, but this is just such a nifty thing for the car stuff collection.
This thing is in fantastic condition!

Also, my mother-in-law gave me a gift card in this box:

That's a cigar box that's been airbrushed by a friend of hers. Way cool. It's hard to see, but the sides are a diamond-plate pattern. Nice work.

Had a great meal with my family, got a few other nice things, like a Chevy Racing jacket from my sister, and generally had a nice Christmas. I hope next year is better for those of you who didn't have the greatest year, or Christmas.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sinestro posted:

I got thai food instead of chinese

am I a bad jew?

Did you go to the movies too?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I wouldn't even be mad, the PS1 had some fantastic games. Motherfucking Twisted Metal 2 and Gran Turismo 2 :whatup:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My AI Santa strikes again!

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

surrounded by family and i still feel lonely what the gently caress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If anyone recalls, months back some dude in my town got himself killed riding his bike like an rear end. Some of the local biker club members then made comments about "balancing the scales" because the people in the truck the dude hit escaped unharmed.

Well I was just told the prick who made those posts on Facebook has been arrested on numerous charges. It's a Christmas miracle!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dude could make a killing selling the RCA output ones to dumbass audiophiles.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

we didn't do christmas cards this year. We actually have never done them though one year we will. Merry Christmas to all you goons and your family from me and my family.

Great looking family!

We *DID* do Christmas cards this year.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So much eggnog. So much rum.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Dude could make a killing selling the RCA output ones to dumbass audiophiles.

I love that. One writer says 'you know for what it is this is pretty good'
THOUSANDS BUY PS1s AND THROW THEIR COMPONENT CD PLAYERS IN THE TRASH
and it actually really loving sucks as a CD player (yeah I tried when I was just starting to get into 2ch stuff because I had one around and hadn't ponied up for my changer and eventually my HTPC, and 2 discs in I decided it's dumb). No remote, you're hosed if you sit further from your stereo than those old short controller cords reach, and the top load mechanism wasn't designed for frequent disc swapping. Plus the laser/eye wears out almost as quickly as the PS2's.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I need a detached shop. I have tons of energy and want to work on garage projects, but it's almost 1 AM, and my current garage shares a wall with the neighbors house. Stupid neighbors and their sleep needing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, hey, apparently Microsoft wasn't ready for the poo poo-ton of new XBONEs logging in to Live today, because that poo poo is down.
Dammit, I wanted to play some Titanfall.
Eh, back to working on Dishonored on the 360, then.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Well, hey, apparently Microsoft wasn't ready for the poo poo-ton of new XBONEs logging in to Live today, because that poo poo is down.
Dammit, I wanted to play some Titanfall.
Eh, back to working on Dishonored on the 360, then.

They got DDoS'd today. So did PSN.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

T1g4h posted:

meatpimp posted:

Absolutely. Please copy the emails here.

goatse guy posted:

Those plates rule. I'm also a huge fan of HST.

Yeah I'm blown away by them; I've always wanted some HST memorabilia but his first edition books & autographed poo poo command a high price. The GF works in a field where she handles and authenticates rare poo poo involving authors (way beyond pop culture writers) on a daily basis, so as sceptical as I am I have to take her word on it . I'm definitely going to try to get the weird emails; she's a bit paranoid about me posting stuff "on the internet" due to previous unfortunate experiences.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

drat, thats a nice old pistol. .45 long colt?

Yeah, .45 Colt. After doing a bit of reading it appears to be a Single Action Army, 7 1/2" 1881 Cavalry model. Gonna run it by TFR to see if it's worth paying Colt to get the provenance papers.

Darchangel posted:

Merry Christmas, ya primitive screwheads!

My dad dug up this piece of nifty-ness from somewhere:

Here's what it looks like in it's native environment:

That is some awesome poo poo right there. USB sticks are for noobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What is it?

• Locked thread