Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Are the differences between Ferguson and Berkeley, which is two miles away, so significant? Anonymous uncovered several Ferguson cops who were klan members. Given the new vid dumps it seems likely that the Berkeley shoot was good, but given police rhetoric and the status of many St. Louis-area cops as literal members of the club whose leader was calling for retaliatory execution of black men, it kind of does sound plausible.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/24/372867144/police-kill-young-man-in-st-louis-area-sparking-new-anger

Yeah, I think that the city with a black mayor, majority black council, and majority black police force might actually have some significant differences with Ferguson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahakyla posted:

"Police investigators photographed a gun on the ground in Berkeley."

Why would the magazine be removed from the gun, set right to the side if the accused man was raising his weapon intending to fire it? Even if the mag ejected itself after being dropped, they wouldn't end in a position that resembles being placed neatly together. Best case is the officer unloaded it after the incident thereby tampering with evidence at a homicide scene.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Well they could have ejected it to photograph it on the scene after taking pictures of it in the gun, or the officer took it out to remove a round from the chamber to secure it after the shooting which is not evidence tampering.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zeno-25 posted:

Why would the magazine be removed from the gun, set right to the side if the accused man was raising his weapon intending to fire it? Even if the mag ejected itself after being dropped, they wouldn't end in a position that resembles being placed neatly together. Best case is the officer unloaded it after the incident thereby tampering with evidence at a homicide scene.

That isn't tampering with evidence. What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course they cleared the weapon and then photographed it. What the hell are they supposed to do? I will get down on the police all day for their behavior, but what you are talking about isn't even reasonable or realistic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Seriously guys, the police gently caress up and do evil heinous poo poo constantly enough on their own, stop trying to scrutinize every single tiny thing as some coverup.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pohl posted:

That isn't tampering with evidence. What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course they cleared the weapon and then photographed it. What the hell are they supposed to do? I will get down on the police all day for their behavior, but what you are talking about isn't even reasonable or realistic.
It is well known that if the police find a bomb and then defuse the bomb they can't use the bomb against you at trial because that's evidence tampering under maritime law.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is well known that if the police find a bomb and then defuse the bomb they can't use the bomb against you at trial because that's evidence tampering under maritime law.

Bomb had a gold fringe ergo therefore

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

What the gently caress? of course they're going to clear a hot weapon

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/23/daughter-eric-garner-pays-tribute-to-murdered-nypd-officers/

quote:

The youngest daughter of Eric Garner paid her respects Monday to two police officers who were murdered execution style in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn over the weekend.

The New York Post reported that Emerald Snipes-Garner, 22, lit a blue candle at a makeshift memorial at the site where officers Rafael Ramos and Wenjian Liu were shot Saturday afternoon. Snipes-Garner told a crowd of around 300 onlookers that she had visited the Ramos family after reading son Jaden's tribute to his fallen father on Facebook.

"It hit my heart because I know what it feels like with this upcoming season and you don’t have your father around," Snipes-Garner said. "I know firsthand what you’re feeling."

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Good for her, that had to be really difficult.

I have to say, I love the articles on Fox that have comments closed. Even they know how rabid and horrible their readers are.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, that takes guts to do. She should be drat proud. :unsmith:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Yeah.. in the second video posted on page 115 of this thread (the one from almost directly overhead of where the confrontation takes place) you can see that Martin has his arms held up in front of his body, and he actually starts advancing towards the police officer.. like he takes a couple of steps forward before the cop reacts and dives back.

So no, there is no way to tell from the videos what (if anything) he is holding in either of his hands, but if nothing else the video seems like an example of a victim to a shooting who did something to escalate the situation and put himself in danger.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I could understand if they withheld the videos entirely for the duration of the investigation or even the whole trial (if there is one). But what is the point in posting a partial video with the most critical parts edited out, except for pure propaganda purposes? You can't seriously think it's because the cops don't want us fair citizens to see some icky blood, that's insane.

Editing out the actual moment of death in crime videos distributed to the public is fairly common. At some point in the future the unedited version will leak/be released.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So a local hive of scum and villainy (Waldo, FL) recently disbanded its police department after both the chief and his second in command ended up the subjects of state investigations. Four Waldo officers blew the whistle on their boss for enforcing ticket quotas and other less than legal shenanigans. All I can say is good on Officers Brandon Roberts, Tim Logan, Brian Shoaf and Jeff Pedrick for doing the right thing at the cost of their own jobs. The economy around here is still pretty poo poo so I know that was a tough call.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Editing out the actual moment of death in crime videos distributed to the public is fairly common. At some point in the future the unedited version will leak/be released.

They didn't edit Rice, Garner, or Crawford. They also said the videos would clear up the shooting. Instead by not seeing what happens it makes Antonio look like he is holding a cell phone.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

El Scandelouse posted:

They didn't edit Rice, Garner, or Crawford. They also said the videos would clear up the shooting. Instead by not seeing what happens it makes Antonio look like he is holding a cell phone.

That depends on what side of the argument you are on going into it. He could have been holding a sniper rifle and you would probably say it was a funny looking broom.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Holding a broom is much more believable than holding a sniper rifle thats for drat sure.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I said sweep together! Not sleep together!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Scandelouse posted:

Which, yanno, it is still possible he was.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Which, yanno, it is still possible he was.

Are you serious? Does this look like the reaction you would expect from someone who had a cell phone pulled on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkqPix9t0-k

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Dead Reckoning posted:

Are you serious? Does this look like the reaction you would expect from someone who had a cell phone pulled on them?

Maybe it was a flip phone and the cop was caught way off guard that someone possessed such a relic.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Would not be the first time some cop that has had it ingrained into his mind that everyone is looking to kill him freaked out thinking just such a case was happening.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cole posted:

Maybe it was a flip phone and the cop was caught way off guard that someone possessed such a relic.

Oh the old gun shaped flip phone gag... Gets em every time

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Considering that cops have shot people holding cell phones, wallets, etc. before, yeah, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

I don't know if it was a gun or not, but cops have not gotten the benefit of the doubt. I find it really interesting, though, that almost every poster who rushes to the defense of cops is also a GiP/TFR poster. I wonder why that is?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

The Mattybee posted:

Considering that cops have shot people holding cell phones, wallets, etc. before, yeah, I wouldn't be totally surprised.

I don't know if it was a gun or not, but cops have not gotten the benefit of the doubt. I find it really interesting, though, that almost every poster who rushes to the defense of cops is also a GiP/TFR poster. I wonder why that is?

Ok, so you don't have the option of body cameras or dash cams in this situation. What would it take to convince you that it was a justified shooting?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I know I carry an extra pistol around so that I can ride around and plug random black people and make it look like they were asking for it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Mattybee posted:

Gun nuts, police, and military have existential fears about "others" and see the world as a life or death kill or be killed battle again the enemy. Your home/city/country could be attacked by "them" at any moment. If not wanting to personally shoot and kill "them" they support others doing it for them, keeping us safe.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Baronjutter posted:

Gun nuts, police, and military have existential fears about "others" and see the world as a life or death kill or be killed battle again the enemy. Your home/city/country could be attacked by "them" at any moment. If not wanting to personally shoot and kill "them" they support others doing it for them, keeping us safe.

"No, dnd doesn't generalize at all!"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

That or maybe some of us have actual experience with people trying to kill us and having to make life or death decisions at a moment's notice.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So a local hive of scum and villainy (Waldo, FL) recently disbanded its police department after both the chief and his second in command ended up the subjects of state investigations. Four Waldo officers blew the whistle on their boss for enforcing ticket quotas and other less than legal shenanigans. All I can say is good on Officers Brandon Roberts, Tim Logan, Brian Shoaf and Jeff Pedrick for doing the right thing at the cost of their own jobs. The economy around here is still pretty poo poo so I know that was a tough call.
Fun story about Waldo, FL and Starke, FL. They're both "speed traps," to the point where more than 50% of the city's income comes from speeding tickets, as the 301 passes through both these little hamlets and is the only way to get from Tampa/Gainesville to Jacksonville without going through Orlando.

The speed limit goes from 55 to 35 in a quarter mile, with the first 35 sign around a tree-filled bend. There is ALWAYS a cop there, popping motorists just trying to get to the Limp Bizkit homecoming concert.

It got so bad, a while ago AAA bought a billboard on the 301 saying "HEY MOTORISTS! SLOW DOWN, YOU'RE ABOUT TO ENTER WALDO"

Waldo police were pissed but gently caress them.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
They got rid of the speed traps in Starke.

Not really relevant I guess, But I travel through enough that it made me happy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Did the reaction of the NYPD Street Crime Unit to Amadou Diallo look like one you would expect from someone who had a wallet pulled on them?

Cop responses (and the cop logic used to defend them) aren't worth taking into consideration as evidence. I hope that more people begin to assume murder when police departments evade the use of body and dash cameras.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

I hope that more people begin to assume murder when police departments evade the use of body and dash cameras.

Not what happened in this case, but suit yourself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Not having it in place at this point is evading it. No more excuses.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Mattybee posted:

I find it really interesting, though, that almost every poster who rushes to the defense of cops is also a GiP/TFR poster. I wonder why that is?
I think it's pretty telling that people who have previous expericene working in government, handle weapons regularly, or both, have very different ideas about lawful use of force and the importance of standardized processes than the uninitiated.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If you shoot someone after turning your cameras off you should be fired, why the gently caress is there not already a zero tolerance policy for this? Doesn't matter if it was an accident, regular people lose their jobs over less serious accidents all the time.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SedanChair posted:

Not having it in place at this point is evading it. No more excuses.

Surely you didn't have to work today. Why are you using this thread as your stress outlet/journal again?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What's with people who are pro-corruption coming in here and attributing baseless motivations to people who want accountability for overequipped, reactionary murderers anyway?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fosborb posted:

Surely you didn't have to work today. Why are you using this thread as your stress outlet/journal again?

...do you think kids just find homes for Christmas, or what?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think it's pretty telling that people who have previous expericene working in government, handle weapons regularly, or both, have very different ideas about lawful use of force and the importance of standardized processes than the uninitiated.

The more knowledge of firearms I've gained, the more I see how utterly hosed the use of force policies of all police departments are. We gave everyone striker-fired high-capacity pistols and hey look, now everyone's full of bullets. Well everyone police are terrified of anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SedanChair posted:

...do you think kids just find homes for Christmas, or what?

gently caress, I thought you were further along in the institutional process than that. Or at least got every other holiday off. I have family who work Boys Town and in retrospect it's pretty god damned dumb to assume today is easier than other days.

Happy holidays. You make the world better.

• Locked thread