Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope Ugin ends up playable because he's certainly a very exciting card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

forbidden lesbian posted:

Please tell me more, this is all from before my timeTM

Memory Jar, the only card ever to prompt an emergency ban for being too good was also in that block, as well as vintage favorites like Tolarian Academy, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral (along with some other "free" spells like Frantic Search), and I'm probably forgetting a few others because there were a lot. You should read KCW's review of the block for a more complete picture.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Oh it was in Urza's Block, well that explains everything.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Please tell me more, this is all from before my timeTM

One of the mechanics of Urza block was lands that tap for more than one mana. Another mechanic was spells with a CMC of N that untapped N lands. The most broken decks were those that used Tolarian Academy for lots of mana, with Mind over Matter to untap the Academy for more mana, Time Spiral to draw 7 and untap 6 lands (sometimes just the Academy), and Stroke of Genius to draw loads of cards. There was also a high number of cheap artifacts that produced more mana than they cost. There are a lot of jokes about the speed of Standard at the time, but there seriously were decks that would win regularly on turn 3 with a hypothetical chance of a turn 1 win. The mono-red deck was slower than the combo deck, so it played 4 Tolarian Academy in the main to stand a chance of using the Legend Rule against rival Academies. After they banned a bunch of broken cards from Urza block, they did an emergency ban of Memory Jar because it enabled a new deck with Megrim and Dark Ritual that would force the opponent to draw and discard 14 cards, taking 2 damage for each.

Combo Winter was one of the occasions that badly damaged Magic, and the only time Hasbro called up all of Magic R&D to the CEO's office to yell at them. Also notable is the existence of a deck that played several thousands Forests, because the mill combo deck couldn't beat it with anything it ran.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Urza block owns, long live Urza block.

If it's a choice between that and Masques I know what I'm going with every time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The wheel cards in Urza's (Time Spiral, Memory Jar, Windfall) baffle me. Didn't they already know how broken Timetwister was at that point?

e:

Chamale posted:

Also notable is the existence of a deck that played several thousands Forests, because the mill combo deck couldn't beat it with anything it ran.
Do you have a link, that sounds amazing.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

And don't worry, he saw plenty of time on banned lists as well.

Metalworker is weird in a sense that its powerful because it generates mana. But wait, it need artifacts to do that, so you have to build a deck around it. But wait, those artifacts you show for mana are the same ones you cast!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

And don't worry, he saw plenty of time on banned lists as well.

Metalworker is weird in a sense that its powerful because it generates mana. But wait, it need artifacts to do that, so you have to build a deck around it. But wait, those artifacts you show for mana are the same ones you cast!

It's kinda cool, Metal Worker can only be used in decks where it is broken, there really isn't a middle ground possible.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I built a Tolarian combo deck to gently caress with once, that deck could win on t1 pretty often in standard and virtually always won by t3 (I think t2 was most common barring hate).

Let's all shed a silent tear for Urza's block, last of the great magic experiments.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Rinkles posted:

Everyone seems to be arguing about whether or not he's playable in Modern, but I think he definitely is/will be played in Standard.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Keep in mind All is Dust is a card that has seen play in every format except vintage. Ugin only costs one more and does nearly the same thing and more.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Ugin made a fedora-tipper on the FLGS's Facebook page rage that Mono-U Tron isn't even a "real" (read: Not Tier 1) deck and that Ugin is bad because he costs 8 (and then refused to comment on the fact that Sundering Titan costs 8 as well).

What I'm saying is that Ugin owns.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bhsman posted:

Ugin made a fedora-tipper on the FLGS's Facebook page rage that Mono-U Tron isn't even a "real" (read: Not Tier 1) deck and that Ugin is bad because he costs 8 (and then refused to comment on the fact that Sundering Titan costs 8 as well).

What I'm saying is that Ugin owns.

I'll try him as a fun-of in Tron. He's definitely better than Memnarch and probably better than Platinum Angel/Empyrion. Also, Blue Tron is awesome. It beats so many better decks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

I'll try him as a fun-of in Tron. He's definitely better than Memnarch and probably better than Platinum Angel/Empyrion. Also, Blue Tron is awesome. It beats so many better decks.

Mind giving a write up sometime? I've started to assemble the deck as it's so cheap relative to decks like Pod.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You netdeckers disgust me; build one yourself. Bet you want a primer to read too

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The wheel cards in Urza's (Time Spiral, Memory Jar, Windfall) baffle me. Didn't they already know how broken Timetwister was at that point?

One of my favorite things ever written about anything Magic is Randy Buehler dryly noting that Memory Jar had been printed with the "unfortunate text, 'draw seven cards.'"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Keep in mind Ugin isn't an artifact, which makes him weaker than many cards like Sundering Titan because he can't be tutored by Treasure Mage or pitched to Thirst for Knowledge. He can still work but that is a point against him.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

e:

Reason #2: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-is-playing-more-than-60-cards-always-a-bad-idea/

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So German Ugin's second ability apparently reads "Exile each permanent with converted mana cost X or more that's one or more colors."

Pretty worth it, yo. :v:

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 26, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Wizards, please never change

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Memory Jar, the only card ever to prompt an emergency ban for being too good was also in that block
Memory Jar is nowhere near as funny as what happened with Sands of Time.

Whoops broke phasing whoops broke the untap phase forgot about a niche rule that I guess never came up!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What happened with Sands of Time?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Chamale posted:

Keep in mind Ugin isn't an artifact, which makes him weaker than many cards like Sundering Titan because he can't be tutored by Treasure Mage or pitched to Thirst for Knowledge. He can still work but that is a point against him.

True, and as a result something like Sundering Titan or Oblivion Stone is better as a wipe effect, but I think it's worth considering.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

vOv posted:

What happened with Sands of Time?

I'm guessing this ruling

8/1/2008 Skipping the untap step means that phased out cards won't phase in, and permanents with phasing won't phase out.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

People will slot him into any deck that can curve into him. It's too fun looking for someone not to force him into a control deck. "Fun of" is spot on. Tron can play him. It's not optimal, it's not better than Karn, but it looks fun so that counts for something. While he's in standard, who is going to miss the chance to cast that monster? I'm not down on him, I just don't see an existing deck where he's an optimal choice. I'm hoping he doesn't go for 30 bucks for no loving reason.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm hoping he doesn't go for 30 bucks for no loving reason.

He probably will at release, but will drop off much like Apex Predator has.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Memory Jar is nowhere near as funny as what happened with Sands of Time.

Whoops broke phasing whoops broke the untap phase forgot about a niche rule that I guess never came up!

And that's not as funny as the...creative way people interpreted Wall of Roots at one point.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Which card was it that accidentally went infinite with one of the Time Vault errata? Flame Fusillade?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Regarding Ugin's second ability, I wonder if we'll see more cards with colored mana in their costs but rules text making them colorless, a la Ghostfire. Would make sense with the way that ability is worded.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Regarding Ugin's second ability, I wonder if we'll see more cards with colored mana in their costs but rules text making them colorless, a la Ghostfire. Would make sense with the way that ability is worded.

If there are, they're likely to be less than par and probably only come in a handful. Just those cards that exist for limited and flavor reasons, but can't even make up an archetype.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

And he devours token and heroic decks. (E:b)

If you're able to cast Ugin against a heroic deck then there's like a 90% chance you have won anyway.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

And that's not as funny as the...creative way people interpreted Wall of Roots at one point.

Got more details on that?
Reminds me of that Floral Spuzzem joke that is going around, with Floral Spuzzem choosing to do things.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Which card was it that accidentally went infinite with one of the Time Vault errata? Flame Fusillade?

That's the one. Chronatog was a 1-card version of that during playtesting, since it's ability "0: Chronatog gets +3/+3 until end of turn. You skip your next turn" lacked the stipulation that it could only be used once per turn. Time Vault has an interesting history of going through power-level erratas before Wizards decided they should simply allow it to be one of the most powerful spells in existence.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Serperoth posted:

Reminds me of that Floral Spuzzem joke that is going around, with Floral Spuzzem choosing to do things.

There used to be a way to get priority between turns. This then let you use Wall of Roots as much as you liked, since "once per turn" doesn't work if there's no turn at all. You went off with Magma Mine.

e: I should mention this was before 6th rules, so no state based effects at priority to kill the 0 toughness Wall straight away.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Serperoth posted:

Also known as Wall of Boom.

http://www.recoculous.com/2012/03/30/the-three-best-combos-that-no-longer-work/

Beaten, but this link has a bit more information as to the reasoning and the requirement for having Stasis or similar (which I actually didn't know about).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mehall posted:

There used to be a way to get priority between turns. This then let you use Wall of Roots as much as you liked, since "once per turn" doesn't work if there's no turn at all. You went off with Magma Mine.

e: I should mention this was before 6th rules, so no state based effects at priority to kill the 0 toughness Wall straight away.

JerryLee posted:

Also known as Wall of Boom.

http://www.recoculous.com/2012/03/30/the-three-best-combos-that-no-longer-work/

Beaten, but this link has a bit more information as to the reasoning and the requirement for having Stasis or similar (which I actually didn't know about).

quote:

The Wall of Boom combo used to work because there was a moment between turns (because of weird rules made for Time Vault). A judge ruled that players could use Wall of Roots between turns because nothing could stop you from using a mana source, and that you could use Wall of Roots an unlimited number of times because it wasn’t a turn, and that Wall of Roots wouldn’t immediately die from the minus counters because mana sources are too fast. (You can use the mana source over and over before the rules check to see if the wall dies.)

:laffo:
Old Magic stuff is hilarious, thanks for the explanation guys. :)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Reason I remembered it off the top of my head, is that I have a copy of Inquest Gamer from April 98, the month the interaction was errata'd out.

Amusingly enough, they also decided to add "base" in front of P/T setting abilities in animation cards. Say, for example, Enaoul Artifact. Only took them 16 years to actually put it on cards :P

http://i.imgur.com/26jm3Lp.jpg

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I would like to check before I start shelling out, if I want to buy a constructed deck on MTGO, I just want to buy tickets at the best price possible, the get the best prices I can from bots? And if I want to traee stuff in my existing collection I just sell to bots? Who's best for tickets right now?

And am I right in thinking that so long as I trade stuff away a while before it rotates out, I should get much of the value back?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BizarroAzrael posted:

And am I right in thinking that so long as I trade stuff away a while before it rotates out, I should get much of the value back?

I think standard playables generally only start to dip in the middle of the summer before they rotate out.

Usually that's the best time to get rid of anything you aren't using and get more current block stuff. Stuff that I would hold onto from Theros block would probably include Coursers, Caryatids, and... that's it really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Count Bleck posted:

I think standard playables generally only start to dip in the middle of the summer before they rotate out.

Usually that's the best time to get rid of anything you aren't using and get more current block stuff. Stuff that I would hold onto from Theros block would probably include Coursers, Caryatids, and... that's it really.

Jeskai Ascendancy and Dig Through Time? Not that they're bank-breakers now. Elspeth might retain a certain amount but will descend for sure. Think the plan will be to liquidate in the summer and stop playing until the new set is out.

• Locked thread