Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I've never seen it, but I hear Johnny Test is extremely popular with kids unlike, say, Adventure Time whose audience consists solely of aging hipsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Someone's gonna have to explain these new fangled recent cartoons for me and tell me if they're actually for adults, just have stuff for adults in them occasionally, or these terrible adults just can't get over watching cartoons and they were never the intended audience but think they are.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AT is occasionally too adult for their own good these days but largely they're just becoming more all-ages humour rather than childish humour. But mainly it's just really intelligent subtext and stuff. People will tell you that's untrue but it's okay they'll never know joy

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If my eight year old self was watching Cartoon Network and there was a tv show about a dog's tail helping a flea circus prevent foreclosure, I would have plugged in my NES and played Castlevania until something good came on. At this point AT feels more like a competition between art students to create the most avant guarde drek imaginable than a sincere attempt to create children's entertainment.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My nephew likes it, that's all I know.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

GI_Clutch posted:

I think Love It or List It is better for eyeroll factor. Everyone wants an open concept home. Then they find out that that wall they want to remove has wiring, duct work, etc. running through it and they can't get what they want and throw a fit. Even better is when they find a really big issue such as mold or a crumbling foundation during the renovation and get really upset that most of their reno budget has to go toward keeping their house from becoming unlivable. What?! I can't get my new bathroom because you want to stop my house from falling apart? I didn't sign up for this!

Yeah that poo poo is great, I love when they freak out.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Looney Tunes marathon today on Boomerang. Pretty much the only thing worth watching on TV today, especially next to the war crime that is the Johnny Test marathon on Cartoon Network.

Dr Who all day too, although whether that's worth watching is debatable. It's sure as hell better than Johnny Test. *whipcrack* *guitar screech*

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I'm putting on Flashpoint for my dad, or doctor who if he doesn't like it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Flashpoint is good though

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

That was my point. You're all suckers for watching bad TV

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I just watched the first episode the other day, and yeah, loving wow. I'm not sure it's a show I'll be able to marathon but I need to keep watching.
Fargo owns True Detective.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Where could I find it? Wasn't there a movie version or something?

Yeah, there was a movie a few years back inspired by the same-named book, and both it and Gamorra: The Series have the author of that book involved in the writing/creative process. It's on Sky in Britain, in the US it's gotta be gotten on DVD or files, but is more than well worth whatever trouble you have to go through to see it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My house is having a Tomb Raider marathon because my gf never played it and I can't get online to play Destiny.

Time to open a bottle of wine I guess. I hate how everything is closed today, I'm quite sure my favorite bar has employees who give no fucks about Christmas so I'm not even sure why they bothered closing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Selena Gomez has lupus.

And here we thought it's never lupus.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

My house is having a Tomb Raider marathon because my gf never played it and I can't get online to play Destiny.

Time to open a bottle of wine I guess. I hate how everything is closed today, I'm quite sure my favorite bar has employees who give no fucks about Christmas so I'm not even sure why they bothered closing.

The only good Tomb Raider is the new one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

The only good Tomb Raider is the new one.

Ayup.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Irish Joe posted:

I've never seen it, but I hear Johnny Test is extremely popular with kids unlike, say, Adventure Time whose audience consists solely of aging hipsters.

MY WIFE works at a daycare and I just asked her about this to see if there was a speck of reality in this statement.
She confirmed that there is not.

Sober posted:

Someone's gonna have to explain these new fangled recent cartoons for me and tell me if they're actually for adults, just have stuff for adults in them occasionally, or these terrible adults just can't get over watching cartoons and they were never the intended audience but think they are.

Mostly it's "just have stuff for adults in them occasionally", although Adventure Time does have a habit of getting stuck up its own rear end lately.

Regular Show is pretty much an adult cartoon bowdlerized just enough to also qualify as a kids' cartoon, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 26, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I hate how everything is closed today, I'm quite sure my favorite bar has employees who give no fucks about Christmas so I'm not even sure why they bothered closing.

In Britain, we would riot if they closed the pubs completely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

A day off's a day off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh those halcyon days, when there was real cartoons on TV, like Captain Planet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What was that cartoon where you could shoot a gun-shaped laser at the badguys onscreen like it was an on-rails shooter? That was rad as gently caress to my 7 year old self.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

precision posted:

What was that cartoon where you could shoot a gun-shaped laser at the badguys onscreen like it was an on-rails shooter? That was rad as gently caress to my 7 year old self.

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future. It was kind of infamous because one of the main good guys died.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

In Britain, we would riot if they closed the pubs completely.

I'm from the internet. I only riot if they close down my steam account.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm from the internet. I only riot if they close down my steam account.

Or if women try to play videogames.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Vincent posted:

You mean criticise videogames, they're fine with women playing videogames as long as they don't say a word or make waves.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

GI_Clutch posted:

One of my brother's friends was on an episode of House Hunters. I had already known that the show is mostly bogus in the fact that the hunters have already purchased one of the places before filming starts. Not surprisingly, most people don't want to have flaws in their homes pointed out on television, so many of the homes you see aren't actually for sale, but are friends of the hunters' homes which have been emptied of furniture for filming. The whole thing is basically just for getting on TV, as no one really gets compensated for anything.

I think Love It or List It is better for eyeroll factor. Everyone wants an open concept home. Then they find out that that wall they want to remove has wiring, duct work, etc. running through it and they can't get what they want and throw a fit. Even better is when they find a really big issue such as mold or a crumbling foundation during the renovation and get really upset that most of their reno budget has to go toward keeping their house from becoming unlivable. What?! I can't get my new bathroom because you want to stop my house from falling apart? I didn't sign up for this!

But yeah, HGTV is one of the main things on at my mom's house, my dad's house, and our house.

I'm pretty sure a couple of goons have been on it. The best one is House Hunters International when the stupid housewife from the Midwest can't figure out why they can't buy a mcmasion in the middle of Paris or London.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the a The Knick thread? (This show :stare: )

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

zoux posted:

Is the a The Knick thread? (This show :stare: )

Yep!

One of the best shows of 2014, IMO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cheers. Yeah it is suberb, with amazing direction.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vincent posted:

I play computer games, and I believe that women should be treated as if they were equal to men.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
thats a back handed sense of equality

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well we are talking about pasty and greasy internet virgins trying to talk about gender politics over people who have experienced actual discrimination so yeah.

It's like if someone complained about the really poorly written women in True Detective and then these same nerds got all defensive and wondered if you meant that MM and WH's characters should be murdered in the next 5 minutes and replaced with women because you complained about it and if it meant that stupid bro shows like Strike Back or Arrow or Breaking Bad should be stricken from historical record for being too masculine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's actually nothing like that, but i admire your imagination.

Nerds are often some of the most racist, sexist, ageist.... basically if it has an ist or an ism, nerds fit right in there.
People are cunts world wide and if you give them a keyboard, they make their position known.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well I have been on and off keeping up with the vile poo poo of gamergate recently, but anyway, it isn't TV chat. Besides, even Games and GBS don't want to touch #GG so gently caress that poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea what gamer gate is, i love games but i hate gamers. So i just ignore anything they have to say, usually.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rocksicles posted:

thats a back handed sense of equality

It's not actually equality at all. That was sort of fundamental to the joke.

As for gamer gate, it's the idiotic name for a veneer of stupid poo poo covering a deep abyss of psychopathic thought and behaviour.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As for gamer gate, it's the idiotic name for a veneer of stupid poo poo covering a deep abyss of psychopathic thought and behaviour.

Really, there isn't a single person involved in gamer gate, pro or con, that isn't a huge dweeb. Its like screaming about misogyny in model trains because there are no 1/32 scale female conductors in the 0-27 series. Congratulations for making the world microscopically safer for women to play make-believe in their basements, but you're still a huge dweeb.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm trying out Amazon Prime instant video due to getting the trial version when ordering christmas presents and like 80% of movies and shows I search for to watch aren't on it. Is this the normal experience or is the trial version super-limited?

Also my deliveries didn't arrive until after loving christmas.

If this is what it's like it's absolutely not worth it IMO.

Edit: Transparent's really good though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Cactus posted:

I'm trying out Amazon Prime instant video due to getting the trial version when ordering christmas presents and like 80% of movies and shows I search for to watch aren't on it. Is this the normal experience or is the trial version super-limited?

Also my deliveries didn't arrive until after loving christmas.

If this is what it's like it's absolutely not worth it IMO.

Edit: Transparent's really good though.

I don't think Amazon Prime has quite the selection of Netflix. We loved it for a long time, but I feel like we're running out of things to watch.

Transparent is indeed awesome, and also try Hannibal, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, The Americans, Veronica Mars, Louie, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, all the Joss Whedon stuff (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Much Ado About Nothing), Fringe, and Orphan Black. There are many seasons of Comedy Central stand-up specials, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't think Amazon Prime has quite the selection of Netflix. We loved it for a long time, but I feel like we're running out of things to watch.

Transparent is indeed awesome, and also try Hannibal, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, The Americans, Veronica Mars, Louie, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, all the Joss Whedon stuff (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Much Ado About Nothing), Fringe, and Orphan Black. There are many seasons of Comedy Central stand-up specials, too.

Hahaha yeah I've actually seen most of those so I don't think I'll be continuing after the trial. I never finished Angel, Hannibal or Deadwood though so I'll see if I can get through those before my month ends.

Transparent, like Girls, contains characters that fit the most stereotypical gratingly annoying "American Liberal" types. I agree with the worldview entirely but oh my word their mannerisms and the way they phrase stuff sometimes is just aaargh-cringe! Show's really loving good through and I can't wait to see how it colours my watching of Arrested Development when I finally get round to finishing that as well.

Ooh ooh oooh gonna do a search for Review because I've seen everything on youtube from that show!

...it's not on there i rest my case.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 27, 2014

• Locked thread