Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I usually play at around 7.5 because the .1 scale intervals don't seem to change much and it allows me to fail once and still beat it on 7.0. I did 9.0 with no customs for that challenge by using Bowser Jr., mainly because he's one of my mains but also because his up special is downright broken against the bosses and side special can cheat the maze at the end really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O
Has anyone experienced the sound in this game being only a very sad 2 channels only? I only get crappy stereo sound in just this and only this game, but every other Wii U game of mine has great 5.1 surround sound, and in the system settings surround sound test I hear all channels in surround just fine.

I'm not sure if this game is for some crazy reason only in 2 channels of audio, or I have some other issue.

I found two other posts describing this issue.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70718200

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70682461

Can someone please just chime in if their audio worked fine in 5.1 surround, or if perhaps this is only a 2 channel audio game?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

TheKingofSprings posted:

Intersperse some grabs into that projectile spam chum

Villager's grab is terrible though, so be careful with how often you swing that butterfly net around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Villager's grab is terrible though, so be careful with how often you swing that butterfly net around.

I'm noticing this is a recurring theme among Characters I Enjoy (Lucina, Robin, Jigglypuff, Luigi)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Can't be worse than Pac-man's.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ometeotl posted:

Can't be worse than Pac-man's.

Pacman's is super slow but you can trick a lot of people with the slow, residual hitbox.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't think I've ever connected even one grab with Pac.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The further away they are from you, the later you'll grab them due to the jankily extending grab-box, so it's best to be as close as possible when you initiate. Sort of defeats the purpose of a ranged grab, but whatever. In any case, it's definitely not something you should be throwing out unless you're absolutely sure you're going to connect with it. His throws aren't really all that hot either, but I do love his down throw where he wakawakas on them.

But hey, it could be worse. It could be Olimar's grab, which is restricted to traveling along the ground. Protip: Never try to grab a Link that's about to do a dash attack with Olimar, because that tiny-rear end hop he does will send him OVER the grab's hitbox and he will sword you in the face. That was a bad day for Olimar.

e: Pacman's grab would be SO GOOD if it was active on more of its frames than just the outbound ones. I guess that would be kind of broken, though.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 26, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Using Shulk's variety of Air attacks + fast falling is giving me a lot of fun in mixups. Lots of really weird angles of attack, and some stuff lets you really be pretty sneaky. I think the only one I'm still having trouble finding a practical use for is uair + fast fall, probably since it's so thin a hitbox horizontally. Maybe in Speed form I can get enough horizontal mojo going to use it to edge guard. The big appeal is that you can use nair from like 30 feet up in jump, and then you can have that hit someone on the ground by fast falling in like a fifth of a second. Doesn't work against someone who has a shield ready but you can really get creative with jump and speed and nair+fastfall to punish a move. Also using Jump to go Really Ham for meteor smashes is really fun and I enjoy that a lot.

Also nair can hit people behind you at the beginning of the animation so if I land backwards against a rushdown character I can shffl nair and it gives me pretty good coverage against someone trying to dash in. Fast falling all the time also lets you get back in the air faster since Shulk has super long animations on everything he does. I let the ground cancel half my aerials and often times I can combo nair into a side tilt.

Also it turns out that you can use Smash form to meteor people at like 40%. You get just enough knockback around 35% to seriously throw them off the stage to prep them for it, and if they're a heavier character with a predictable recovery I think it's a strong tool to consider. I've tried it at 0% and you really need something on them before you can do it, but you don't need a lot. Using smash early as a way to just keep dudes like Little Mac off the stage is a interesting application of it.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I finally have this game, and it turns out I suck at it. Add me on the Nintendo: 'BookofMooremon'.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What buttons do I press to avoid getting down tilted when ganondord does his flame choke

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You can tech it into a roll but mostly it's his bread and butter combo

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I can't believe it but still, to this day, I have never beaten a real Samus or Ganondorf player in a fair fight. I just can't beat either of these characters.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You have to respect Ganondorf's power, but capitalize on his old man bones not being able to recover from his moves as quickly as a younger grandfather might. If you challenge him he will spank your bottom and call your mother to come pick you up.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's healthy for the game for the beefier dudes to have reliable ways to reward catching a light nimble dude with something easily punishable like most of their moves with easy to chain poo poo like that. I definitely prefer Ganondorfs kicking me 300 feet than getting slowly eaten alive by 5 billion loving lloyd rockets and slightshots argh gently caress offf

Ganondorf is a Grandpa who is all about manly fighting without all the projectile and fancy footwork fluff that makes characters like Little mac and Duck Hunt insufferable. I shan't have you talk down upon him. :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's dumb how some characters just get caught in that and cannot get out, though. Like bowser and metaknight both arbitrarily cannot avoid the followup foot after choke, even though they're completely different.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My wife gifted me the Wii U + this beautiful piece of fun in the shape of a disc.

I can't believe I've bene playing Smash games for 15 years and still suck at them, but here I am! What's a good way to improve my game? I know step 1 would be "get a pro controller instead of playing in the loving gamepad you pleb" but that'll be later since I don't have more money after christmas gifting.

I basically random everytime I play since I like switching things up, but my historically better characters have been Ike, Cap Falcon and Fox. The only thing I know I do wrong constantly and I'm trying to fix is overreliance on special moves and smashes.

Edit: Also, add me to the list as PostmodernJerk ! Is there some kind of matchmaking in place or if I start playing online I'll just get my rear end handed to me by proplayers with a modified Gamecube controller?

V Yeah grabbign is something I need to learn when to use, too. That reminds me: When using the gamepad, is there a button that's set up for block? Because using LZ does a grab => block and that extra second usually means a pokeball to the face.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 26, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The basic ways to get better are pretty simple. Remember to shield and roll to avoid attacks, remember that A moves in the air are (usually) really good to use, and start trying to chase down opponents after you knock them off-stage or upwards. And don't forget that grabs are a thing.

From there it's just a matter of learning each character's quirks and how to deal with them as whoever you want to play as.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My wife gifted me the Wii U + this beautiful piece of fun in the shape of a disc.

I can't believe I've bene playing Smash games for 15 years and still suck at them, but here I am! What's a good way to improve my game?

One thing you can do immediately is make sure you're using a button to jump, as opposed to tilting the stick upwards. If you use the stick to jump you'll have much more trouble with all aerial attacks and a ground move (up tilt) will be pretty much impossible to do.

Otherwise, just spectate / YouTube people who play the characters you like and copy what works! Pay careful attention to which moves they largely ignore and which moves they use the most.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Hugoon Chavez posted:

V Yeah grabbign is something I need to learn when to use, too. That reminds me: When using the gamepad, is there a button that's set up for block? Because using LZ does a grab => block and that extra second usually means a pokeball to the face.

By default Shield is set to the top L and R buttons, but you can go into options and change that around (as well as turning off Tap Jump). I prefer having Grab on LZ and Shield on RZ, and I do fairly well with the Gamepad. Except when I accidentally turn around before using an up or down special.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

My NNID is H.Monsark, I don't really have any main fighters aside from Bowser and Lucario.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm missing one song in Smash, and it's from this challenge: "Recover the stat boosts a Metroid stole from you in Smash Tour." I understand how to do it obviously, but even when I play smash tour I can't get a metroid to show up. Is there a way to make a metroid show up? Are they more likely to show up on a certain map/certain number of turns?

Thanks

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm slowly getting better. Managed to beat my first Level 9 as Greninja for the first time the other day. :shobon:

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Fritzler posted:

I'm missing one song in Smash, and it's from this challenge: "Recover the stat boosts a Metroid stole from you in Smash Tour." I understand how to do it obviously, but even when I play smash tour I can't get a metroid to show up. Is there a way to make a metroid show up? Are they more likely to show up on a certain map/certain number of turns?

Thanks

The strategy is to use a golden hammer and save yourself from a lottery game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sub Harrison posted:

Just got this a couple days ago and enjoying it a lot so far.

1 problem I've noticed though is Villager is totally countered by Pit's shield. Even Villager's left/right smash and running+A moves count as projectiles and will hit him back. You can also counter the tree. Just hold down+B as Pit and Villager will kill himself for you.
You should pocket some of the stuff that gets reflected, especially gyroids. He's only powering poo poo up for you. If you can pocket a reflected tree, you've got a monstrous option waiting to be used.

Also, try to make some reads with your smashes and tilts. Things like expect a roll, dsmash punish them into upsmash or fsmash if he's at a high enough percent.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fritzler posted:

Thanks

It's random and the challenge doesn't count if a CPU does it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What's the current best/easiest way to get CDs that doesn't involve a throwaway Amiibo AI?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Reiley posted:

What's the current best/easiest way to get CDs that doesn't involve a throwaway Amiibo AI?

Crazy Orders is a general goldmine, with the addition of free trophies and gold to boot. Master Orders works too if you don't mind exit and entering the mission select screen until a CD pops up.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

Crazy orders with the following three types of custom equipment:
First Striker
Quick Batter
Home Run Bat

Have a quick project and get the first strike, then have a few seconds of invulnerability to home run smash the opponent. Avoid horde matches.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fritzler posted:

Thanks

Hahahah, I'm on the exact same situation. I think I might use my first Golden Hammer on this, because holy poo poo this is completely impossible. Even if I get the Metroid, it's far more likely the AI will get to it first considering I'm at the mercy of a die roll. Screw that poo poo.

Fritzler posted:

First Striker
Quick Batter
Home Run Bat

Have a quick project and get the first strike, then have a few seconds of invulnerability to home run smash the opponent. Avoid horde matches.

This is Good Advice, but let me add one more thing to it: remember to use your last match before the Hands to take damage if you have used the invincibility to get through easily. Otherwise, you'll enter with way too low HP and that's extremely dangerous. No point in getting all of those CDs if you lose them in the end!

Admittedly, you should be getting so much stuff that you'll only lose some of the CDs, but still, something to keep in mind. Also, Mario with Fast Fireball works really well for this, at least for me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What's the best way to go about the literal hell that is Acquiring Custom Moves

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best way to go about the literal hell that is Acquiring Custom Moves

Trophy Rush as the character or Crazy Orders as the character and also selecting their emblem for the mission rewards.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You can select that? I tried, but it never seemed to do anything. Dang.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hahahah, I'm on the exact same situation. I think I might use my first Golden Hammer on this, because holy poo poo this is completely impossible. Even if I get the Metroid, it's far more likely the AI will get to it first considering I'm at the mercy of a die roll. Screw that poo poo.

This is Good Advice, but let me add one more thing to it: remember to use your last match before the Hands to take damage if you have used the invincibility to get through easily. Otherwise, you'll enter with way too low HP and that's extremely dangerous. No point in getting all of those CDs if you lose them in the end!

Admittedly, you should be getting so much stuff that you'll only lose some of the CDs, but still, something to keep in mind. Also, Mario with Fast Fireball works really well for this, at least for me.

Don't you have more HP the less % you have though?

Also how do people grab with captain falcon. I like playing him but every time I grab Falcon's oiled up shoes make him slip halfway across the map and it never, never connects. I get more grabs with goddamn pac-man.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also how do people grab with captain falcon. I like playing him but every time I grab Falcon's oiled up shoes make him slip halfway across the map and it never, never connects. I get more grabs with goddamn pac-man.

Start your grabs earlier with him, then be happy about your friend Falcon having The Best Grabs in the Game

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fritzler posted:

First Striker
Quick Batter
Home Run Bat

dammit i don't wanna poopsock this game, what a terrible burden

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You'd think so, but it's the other way around. The more % you have, the more HP you have. The game wants you to play it risky.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do what KingofSprings said. I suggest playing around in practice mode and getting a feel for his spacing. You want to predict where he'll end up during the grab animation.

Also, keep in mind that Falcon's standing grab is actually not that great. You want to make sure the other person is fairly close, if you're not dashing.

edit: Touched things up.

Rhycool fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 27, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rhycool posted:

Do what KingofSprings said. I suggest playing around in practice mode and getting a feel for his spacing. Get a feel for where he'll end up during the grab animation.

Also, keep in mind that Falcon's standing grab is actually not that great. You want to make sure the other person is fairly close, if you're not dashing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Start your grabs earlier with him, then be happy about your friend Falcon having The Best Grabs in the Game

Thanks for that, was getting really flustered because zipping around as him is super fun but I always leave myself SUPER open after a flubbed grab and getting frustrated by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just had like 10 really really good, close matches against someone, and then my router shat itself and I'll probably never find them again :(

• Locked thread