Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
For some reason I thought Goons said to mod the game? I Must have been confusing it with another I guess. I only changed the graphics, nothing else, but I might change it back because the art direction is kind of weird in the overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
goons are retarded

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zen death robot posted:

People that are actually good at making high-resolution textures and models usually get paid for their work.

Yeah, but with Bethesda games the average modder textures are better than the base textures. I mean, your opinion may vary on Morrowind, but Oblivion and Skyrim didn't exactly have the best of textures at release.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there are things i just avoid looking at in skyrim, like the battlement things and chunks of walls that look like melted low res wax

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zen death robot posted:

Skyrim yeah. Morrowind graphic mods seem to be a little janky. I didn't play Oblivion much on the PC so I didn't really get into modding it.

Things like swords and minor tweaks to armor are usually OK as far as modelling goes. The character mods usually stick out pretty bad.

I found some decent head mods for Morrowind recently that match up pretty well with the original face artwork, but they don't have all the races finished as well and haven't updated the hair yet, so you've got very modern looking Dark Elves walking around with 2005-hair. I'm leaving it alone for now until the dude gets done.

Also, for some reason texture updates always change colors around for some reason and it bugs me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ages ago i had a mod that made the architecture in suran white and it looked real nice TB QH

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Mann there's a mod set called sexy cities for Skyrim that isn't what it sounds like

if it seems out of place it can be desaturated a little and still look better than the original, esp. the wood looking like it isn't driftwood

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

that actually looks really terrible.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

Mann there's a mod set called sexy cities for Skyrim that isn't what it sounds like

if it seems out of place it can be desaturated a little and still look better than the original, esp. the wood looking like it isn't driftwood

It doesn't look like the wood was harvested locally, which really ruins my immersion; why would these vikings import maple wood when they live next to a high supply of evergreens? Just shaking my drat head here, man. Lore is ruined.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it is not very good but as an alternative to the original it's neat, like white version of suran mentioned. it takes a little tweaking for maximum Niceness though

desaturation is a thing i really don't like in games

edit: another example:

it's slightly too far into saturation but i like the idea

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Great. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

nice

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I can't feel anything since I've been drinking since 5 PM and I don't plan on stopping just yet.

That's chill.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

a city built out of driftwood would actually be pretty cool

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

zen death robot posted:

People that are actually good at making high-resolution textures and models usually get paid for their work.

Come on now, there are many lovely mods, but don't diss modders like that. They've done great stuff for Morrowind in general and also other classics like System Shock 2 and Vampire the Masquerade. I do not recommend overhaul packs for Morrowind and there is some absolutely terrible stuff there that's just missing the whole point of what makes the game special but modding is still pretty great. Even though there exist mods out there that are the equivalent of removing the fog from Silent Hill 2.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I made a great mod for Morrowind, for instance.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Until someone makes a mod that makes Bethesda stop making dumb generic crap and go back to interesting settings, mods are worthless.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I like the idea of recolor mods for Skyrim because the vanilla game is only very slightly more saturated than an actual black and white game, but making the buildings look like they're straight out of Mario64 maybe goes a bit too far.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if i still had it installed i'd run a quick desaturation and get a nice midpoint out of 'em

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
If you just want less desaturation, get a good ENB instead of recolored textures.

http://www.tesgeneral.com/#!enb/c5x

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i've yet to have an enb that was actually more saturation vs. focusing on one color or running too much stuff and tanking the framerate

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32064

thius is the mod i was actually thinking about as the Good one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skyrim cities should actually be really colorful. If you go anywhere that it's cold and dark like Russia or northern Canada, they use a lot of really bright vibrant paints on their buildings. Because it loving sucks looking at grey dreary poo poo all year round.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fister Roboto posted:

Skyrim cities should actually be really colorful. If you go anywhere that it's cold and dark like Russia or northern Canada, they use a lot of really bright vibrant paints on their buildings. Because it loving sucks looking at grey dreary poo poo all year round.

this is the kremlin.

the thing that bugs me about skyrim is like wtf are these people doing with their free time, they've lived there for multiple eras and most of their entertainment/productivity seems to be standing in inns, running very small businesses, running up to people naked and handing them letters, and working for belethor at the general store

ain't no public works projects or anything

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish they had taken more cues from pre TESV bits of lore and done Skyrim as a melange of Himalayan and Scandinavian cultures: prayer wheels to Talos, death worshipping vikings, herds of yak and mammoth, whatever, really play up the "Roof of the World" angle. Make it the more familiar Imperial culture in the lowlands and get stranger and more mystical the higher you go.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 26, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Doctor Goat posted:

this is the kremlin.

the thing that bugs me about skyrim is like wtf are these people doing with their free time, they've lived there for multiple eras and most of their entertainment/productivity seems to be standing in inns, running very small businesses, running up to people naked and handing them letters, and working for belethor at the general store

ain't no public works projects or anything
that's st basil's cathedral, and it's not in the kremlin

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i have no idea why it was labelled as the kremlin then, thanks google

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fuligin posted:

Make it the more familiar Imperial culture in the lowlands

:arghfist::smith:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Doctor Goat posted:

i have no idea why it was labelled as the kremlin then, thanks google

Hollywood has done a pretty good job of conflating the two, I think. To be fair they are nearly adjacent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The point still stands that people in cold lovely climates try to make things as colorful as possible.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Fister Roboto posted:

The point still stands that people in cold lovely climates try to make things as colorful as possible.

yeah it definitely does, i was just providing an example

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I too, get loving mad at how people do in a single player game I put in hours of my free time to mock them

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whorelord posted:

I too, get loving mad at how people do in a single player game I put in hours of my free time to mock them

SunAndSpring posted:

Great. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nurrrggh no don't install the code patch. it's a mod! a mod!!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon patches all technically change the game from the original design, better not install those either

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
y'all's draw distance is too low to see the point

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Whorelord posted:

Retard.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

scalded schlong posted:

nurrrggh no don't install the code patch. it's a mod! a mod!!

I don't like the code patch because it makes some changes that I don't like, but I can see why people use it. That and Morrowind Graphics Extender are pretty benign. (Don't remove the fog)

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Geoff Zahn posted:

Morrowind, Tribunal, and Bloodmoon patches all technically change the game from the original design, better not install those either

You're a huge loving retard and you don't deserve to play or discuss Morrowind because you are a lower quality person.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lol

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i'm just saying if you want to experience morrowind play morrowind w/ anything really unpleasant with the UI and crashes gone and if you don't, just do whatever

the brokenness is part of the charm at first

crashing isn't, but exploiting potions for example is something they tell you about in a book

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
gamers should always play games vanilla, at least for the first run. that way when you and other gamers discuss the game you don't get into situations where people are like "hey remember how x would happen if you did y? that was a pretty cool bug" and you're like "uh no i don't remember it because i used a mod to fix it and also add midget dickgirls as a playable race because im a loving human being"

• Locked thread