Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I didn't get any board games either. I guess I'll have to get my own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I got but one new game for Xmas, Biblios from Iello. Nice little set collection card game where players take turns drawing an amount of cards from a deck one at a time and choosing for each to keep it for yourself, put it up for auction later in the game, or make it a community card that will be claimed by other players that turn. Catch is you can only keep and send to auction one card each, so you have to be selective how you choose each.
Once all the cards are drawn/distributed into players hands/an auction pile, players use the cards in their hand to buy said auction cards in a turn based bidding order until all the cards are then claimed. Players then reveal their hands which consist of various colored cards with different values, and the player with the highest value in each wins some points, most points naturally wins. Once you know it the game plays in about 30 minutes (with 3p anyway, which was all we did; can play 4 and I don't think it would change the duration much). Definitely recommend!

I also did get some Amazon cash, and need to decide what game(s?) to get... I wish Scoville was available. :( it's extremely high on my can't-wait-to-play list.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So I've been having a lot of fun with pandemic, gf, mother and sister all love it.

Any other good co-op games without traitors and competition?

Or any good co-ops with those mechanics that could be fun for us?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thread favourites for co-ops are Hanabi, which is awesome and simple and you should get it no matter what, and Space Alert which has a lot of frontloaded rules and real-time stress and frustration/joy over everything going wrong, but is also awesome. It may not be suitable for beginners.

Otherwise Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert and Flash Point seem to be recommended as good beginner co-ops, and are generally seen as actually better than Pandemic. I can't remember which Forbidden place is best, but they're pretty similar.

And Finally, there Escape: The Curse of the Temple, which is Indiana Jones with fast dicerolling (seriously, roll all the dice as quickly as possible) and a ticking clock soundtrack. It's great fun, but only as a filler between more thinky games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My absolute favorite co-op is Hanabi.

People have mentioned Forbidden Island/Desert as decent to good co-ops, but I can't really speak to their quality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

echoMateria posted:

Anyone played Orléans? Rahdo was very enthusiastic about it in his best games of 2014 video.

It was my "big miss" at Essen (Deus also, but that was me running out of time, not them running out of stock) but I picked it up as soon as it was released. Great game. What were you wanting to know?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Quick question. Is this version of The Resistance the one with all the extra rules from Avalon?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Quick question. Is this version of The Resistance the one with all the extra rules from Avalon?

No. That's just the newest version of the standard game. The extra Avalon rules and some more stuff are included in the latest expansions.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Jedit posted:

It was my "big miss" at Essen (Deus also, but that was me running out of time, not them running out of stock) but I picked it up as soon as it was released. Great game. What were you wanting to know?

Out of the ones Richard talked and praised a lot on that video, Orléans, Subdivision, Kanban and La Granja caught my interest. I remember reading some comments about them a month or so ago too. So I'd like to hear some fresh goon opinions on them before deciding on adding any/all of them to my shopping list.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I thought I had a really interesting scenario in Temporum last night, but it turns out it's just because we were playing it wrong. We had Age of Cults out (Each player with any cards pass one to the left) and at the end of the game, the person who was almost certainly going to win was to the left of a person with no cards, so I move to Age of Cults, pass my card to the left, recieve the card from the winning player, and the winning player gets nothing. We had played a couple games before, and each time the game pretty much ended like "well I'm gonna win next turn and there's nothing you can do about it," so this was an exciting development.

Turns out players with no cards are just skipped over, and we would have just traded cards. Somehow I missed that line in the FAQ. Oh well, she ended up winning anyway.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this game. It's been fun, but you're like just about to get going and you look at the crowns and you're like "poo poo, this game is over in 1 turn."

The first game we played was really weird because we randomly put out the cards and got nearly every "Play a card, Score a card, or Draw 2 cards" zone in the deck in every zone. So you could do pretty much anything anywhere and it was almost pointless to move time or even move. Subsequent games have had a much more interesting mix of zones.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Merauder posted:

I got but one new game for Xmas, Biblios from Iello. Nice little set collection card game where players take turns drawing an amount of cards from a deck one at a time and choosing for each to keep it for yourself, put it up for auction later in the game, or make it a community card that will be claimed by other players that turn. Catch is you can only keep and send to auction one card each, so you have to be selective how you choose each.
Once all the cards are drawn/distributed into players hands/an auction pile, players use the cards in their hand to buy said auction cards in a turn based bidding order until all the cards are then claimed. Players then reveal their hands which consist of various colored cards with different values, and the player with the highest value in each wins some points, most points naturally wins. Once you know it the game plays in about 30 minutes (with 3p anyway, which was all we did; can play 4 and I don't think it would change the duration much). Definitely recommend!

I also did get some Amazon cash, and need to decide what game(s?) to get... I wish Scoville was available. :( it's extremely high on my can't-wait-to-play list.

Biblios owns. It's a great 2 player game as well.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got Galaxy Trucker anniversary edition for a holiday gift :getin: I could beat someone to death with this box. Now I just need the Dungeon Lords happy anniversary edition

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Elysium posted:

I'm really not sure how I feel about this game. It's been fun, but you're like just about to get going and you look at the crowns and you're like "poo poo, this game is over in 1 turn."

In my general experience, this is usually something that happens when people aren't experienced at a game, not a problem with the game itself. Like in Dominion, eventually you learn you can't spend 20 turns crafting an engine.

Also, I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to six pages of Temporum impressions. :mad:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also, I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to six pages of Temporum impressions. :mad:

The game doesn't seem to have much exposure, there isn't really much talk about it on BGG, and none of the video reviewers have given it a go yet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

echoMateria posted:

Anyone played Orléans? Rahdo was very enthusiastic about it in his best games of 2014 video.

I really like it. There is randomness that can change what you were planning to do. There is limited interaction, but the bag building is really interesting. One of my top 5 Essen games. I have not seen Rahdo's description of it. I don't play many games two player that can be played with more, so his assessments are not usually something that apply to me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

echoMateria posted:

Out of the ones Richard talked and praised a lot on that video, Orléans, Subdivision, Kanban and La Granja caught my interest. I remember reading some comments about them a month or so ago too. So I'd like to hear some fresh goon opinions on them before deciding on adding any/all of them to my shopping list.

Kanban is a lot. It really is the "Just In Time" system in a board game. A lot of moving pieces and it will take two or three games to even get a feel on what to do to win games. I really like it, but do look at the images first and make sure it's a game your group will be willing to play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

In my general experience, this is usually something that happens when people aren't experienced at a game, not a problem with the game itself. Like in Dominion, eventually you learn you can't spend 20 turns crafting an engine.

My copy arrives tomorrow. Don't know if it's going to see play before Tuesday, though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I do think Temporum feels a little more prone to tight endings because of a) how mathematically tight the player cards and zone actions are and b) "VP" (ie crowns) aren't exactly a zero-sum resource like victory cards in Dominion.

In other news, I played Steam Park with my sisters last night, reminds me of Galaxy Trucker in a lot of good ways. Game lasts six rounds, each round starting with everyone rolling their own set of dice, which can be individually stored or re-rolled. Similar to Galaxy Trucker, turn order is decided by the order in which people finish rolling their die. Different die faces let you build up your park in different ways, either by adding/expanding rides, building carnival stands which give you different abilities, attracting visitors, or playing bonus cards for money. However, pretty much everything you do also adds dirt to your park, which needs to be removed either by one of the die faces or by turn order bonus (each round's first and second player get to remove dirt for free, last is penalized with dirt). The way in which you attract visitors is quite clever too. There are six different colors of visitor corresponding to the six different colors of rides, at the start you put one of each color visitor in a bag. For each visitor action you resolve, you put one visitor of a color of your choice into the bag, then draw one out randomly, keeping any that match your rides with open spots, effectively letting you seed the visitor bag. You get money for each visitor in your park at the end of each round, but since visitors are permanent, each visitor also adds a dirt to your park at the start of each round.

Like I said, it feels like it learned a lot of good lessons from Galaxy Trucker. It's structured quite similarly, with a frantic "building" phase followed by a calmer "resolution" phase, but Steam Park's resolution taking a bit less time. The production is fantastic too, which really helps bring across the carnival aspect. The design of the rides and stands is a kind of whimsical and fantastical steampunk, and it's nice to just look at your park after the game ends.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got the Broken Token organizer for Caverna for Christmas, thing's really nice. Also the box shuts. It's like black magic.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Yo, just a heads-up, Tash-Kalar's up on BGA now. You should probably be excited about that if you're not gutter trash

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got Galaxy Trucker anniversary edition for a holiday gift :getin: I could beat someone to death with this box.

The person in our group with the copy of Galaxy Trucker just moved away. (We only got to play it once, as he was usually busy.) I was thinking of rectifying that, but I'm cheap. Are the expansions really needed? I don't know what was in the expansions or not, since he had the big box.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

Yo, just a heads-up, Tash-Kalar's up on BGA now. You should probably be excited about that if you're not gutter trash

This is fantastic news.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm looking forward to trying out Tash Kalar on BGA sometime. No-one at the games club has it and my FLGS never seems to have a copy.

I ended up with Machi Koro and Splendor this Xmas thanks to friends, have had the chance to try em both out and enjoyed both games. However, god drat are both of those game boxes empty, they'd both fit in boxes a fraction of the size. I may end up making tuckboxes for one or both and shoving it in my box of random small games for easier transport.

Magnetic North posted:

The person in our group with the copy of Galaxy Trucker just moved away. (We only got to play it once, as he was usually busy.) I was thinking of rectifying that, but I'm cheap. Are the expansions really needed? I don't know what was in the expansions or not, since he had the big box.

Perhaps the expansions aren't needed, but they do add a lot to the game. In the base game you only have the simple components (cargo, structure, cannons, purple and brown aliens, crew, batteries, shields, engines, double cannons and double engines), the very basic ships (1, 2, 3 and 3a) plus all the adventure cards are fairly simple. The fancy ships, level 4 stuff, crew, rough roads, 5th player etc. are from the expansions.

I'd recommend getting the Anniversary edition if you can, it works out cheaper than the original plus expansions (if you want them later) and also throws in a couple more freebies (Even Steven cards and a comic). The box insert is pretty well designed too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Regarding Tash Khalar, how high the skill ceiling is? I've only played a couple of times, but for the life of me I cannot imagine being able to disrupt my oponent enough to prevent a summoning, especially with the help of a flare.

EBag
May 18, 2006

echoMateria posted:

La Granja looks amazing, but will be hard to get hold of unless you're willing to pay ~$150 for it. Fortunately Stronghold games is reprinting it and it should be out sometime in summer.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I managed to play five games of Dead of Winter with total strangers on Tabletop Simulator and had a really good time. One of the smallest things in it that could have gone so much worse is the dice rolling -- if I had to roll for every action as I did it I would blow my brains out just from the slowdown, but the way everyone rolls all at once lets me not only plan my turn in advance but guess (and/or be surprised by) the other players' turns. It's great. I've only done two scenarios but I'm definitely going to buy it for my shelf when I have the cash. Can't wait to see where the Crossroads games go from here because if they intend it to be a series this is a strong start.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yugioh is hilarious bullshit once you understand how it works.

It's the closest any of us will probably ever come to playing Mornington Crescent.

Highlights include rules clarification errata that actually renders the card completely unable to do what it's supposed to do, and significantly different prerequisites for summoning monsters based on the placements of commas and the difference between "must X" and "may not Y".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 26, 2014

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Fat Samurai posted:

Regarding Tash Khalar, how high the skill ceiling is? I've only played a couple of times, but for the life of me I cannot imagine being able to disrupt my oponent enough to prevent a summoning, especially with the help of a flare.

After a few plays you'll get the idea how the patterns are arranged. You can just simply summon something to break a potential pattern. Since this is tactical you will have to react on a turn by tun basis.

Also, playing each school many times will help you set up more and figure out what their strengths are and that will allow you to set up some combos.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

You don't really have to be super aware of particular cards (though you'll learn them along the way anyway). The very sense of lots of pieces blobbing = summoning danger can get you a long way. It's also rather easy to sense someone is trying hard to do some sort of Legendary pattern when he jumps through hoops to place heroic pieces in various places. Lastly, when both playing Imperial decks, you'll have the cards you played so far in some sort of subconscious medium-term memory and will be able to spot these patterns brewing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's the closest any of us will probably ever come to playing Mornington Crescent.

Highlights include rules clarification errata that actually renders the card completely unable to do what it's supposed to do, and significantly different prerequisites for summoning monsters based on the placements of commas and the difference between "must X" and "may not Y".

My major experience with Yogioh is working at a public library and having a teenager in a black matrix duster and hot topic baggy jeans sit at the tables in front of the reference desk challenging middle school kids to Yugioh matches and then insulting their play after he beat their brains in. Also, he brought a backpack with like 6 card boxes full of decks with him every day.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

yugioh is the dumbest loving poo poo, I've got a friend who plays it and it's ludicrously broken. Like, in tournament play turn two and three wins are common, turn one wins aren't rare by any means, and IIRC there are a bunch of ways to do turn zero wins (i.e. where your opponent goes first and you kill them before you get an actual turn). The erratas are hilarious, the one time he conned me into playing it I played some deck where there was a card that made you discard two monsters from your hand to play it, only due to shoddy rules writing that didn't exclude the card itself. Essentially you'd discard it and another monster and then it would spring into play. There are combos that let you draw your entire deck in one turn, which is pretty dumb when having five specific cards in your hand wins you the game instantly. e: I should clarify, I don't mean an "oh someone theorycrafted out that this could happen if you did x" sort of combo, I mean, "this was a winning strategy at several major tournaments" kind of combo. poo poo's broke

Fat Samurai posted:

It's pretty high, once you get a good read on what each of the decks can do and what patterns your opponent's generally looking for you can really get into dicking around with their patterns and defensive plays.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 26, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fungah! posted:

yugioh is the dumbest loving poo poo, I've got a friend who plays it and it's ludicrously broken. Like, in tournament play turn two and three wins are common, turn one wins aren't rare by any means

Sounds exactly like Legacy MtG

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goodness posted:

I haven't played magic in a big way in years, but at least Wizards had the good sense to cordon that poo poo off into its own format that you could safely ignore. From what I've seen, basically every yugioh set is just a new flavor of overpowered bullshit, maybe wrapped behind a new level of rarity, maybe not.

e: oh god, almost forgot about rarity in yugioh. There's no fewer than eight levels of rarity above rare, and they keep slapping more onto the heap every few sets. it was at the point that my friend would regularly buy an entire shipping box of yugioh cards from his FLGS so he could be sure he'd get the power cards, and even then he'd almost always miss out on some

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 26, 2014

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, it was immediately obvious that the writers are poo poo at writing clear effects. The first pack I opened had a card that said " You may do A. Then do B."

So I had to ask if that meant "You may do A. If you do, you must do B." or "You may do A. If you do, you may do B." or "You may do A. Regardless of whether or not you do A, you must do B."

Why don't they just write better?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

goodness posted:

NO. There are actually counters to that poo poo in magic. Decks at that power level exist in Legacy, but they are easily hated out. In Yugioh, there is little interplay between the decks, its only broken combo decks without any controls to stem the tide. Force of Will is often called the glue that holds legacy together, and I firmly believe that. It is a card that stops unfair strategies, like turn 1 or 2 combos while being relatively poor against fair decks (since it is inherent card disadvantage). Force of Will existing allows fair strategies (like Death and Taxes) to exist at high level in the metagame since they are quite good against it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

goodness posted:

Sounds exactly like what people think Legacy MtG is.

Fixed that for you. It's a common misconception perpetuated by people who haven't paid attention to Magic in the last...well, ever?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
To continue building on Babby's First Boardgame collection, I got 7 Wonders and Space Alert for christmas! :toot: This builds on my small collection of Galactica, Dominion, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Betrayal, and Pandemic. I wish my group was more strategy-grognard oriented so I could justify picking up Twilight Imperium, but I know I'll never get a chance to play it. I just need a meeple-fuckery game to round it all out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Takkaryx posted:

I wish my group was more strategy-grognard oriented so I could justify picking up Twilight Imperium, but I know I'll never get a chance to play it.

If you want to play Twilight Imperium but you're group isn't right for it, try recruiting PC gamers. I'm not joking either, I recruited two guys who liked PC strategy games (Civilization, Total War, Master of Orion, whatever) to play and they picked up the game like it was nothing. It was their first board game outside of Monopoly and poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
You're going about it the wrong way. As a somewhat experienced wargamer I can tell you you're meant to buy the grog no matter what and open it once every few months to fiddle with components thinking how cool would it be if there was someone else to ever play it with. And then soothe the pain by buying another spergy game that won't ever see play.

If you happen to live alone (i.e. no prying eyes), there's also the option of playing it solo, crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Chomp8645 posted:

If you want to play Twilight Imperium but you're group isn't right for it, try recruiting PC gamers. I'm not joking either, I recruited two guys who liked PC strategy games (Civilization, Total War, Master of Orion, whatever) to play and they picked up the game like it was nothing. It was their first board game outside of Monopoly and poo poo.

That's my normal route. There's one or two people in my normal group that I'm pretty sure would latch onto it, but I can only think of about 3 people who would be even slightly interested in playing a strategy boardgame for several hours. I love TI and relish whenever I get to play it, but I'm missing that critical 6 players. My long con plan is to slowly introduce more and more competitive games into my collection to foster a sense of ruthlessness and cut-throat thinking to get people into it. :kheldragar: