Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I usually grab e-waste. I scored a mechanical keyboard and Microsoft Wheel Mouse Opticals this way. They work, they just don't want them. Also an XP era machine I want to use for old games.

What I really want is a UPS. Network might be able to hook it up as they have some that do not have a NIC slot and are thus useless to them :getin:

My dad works for a company that makes UPS's for businesses. Every time a working one gets returned for any reason, it can't be resold because *business reasons* so they let employees just have these $10,000 UPS's for free. I have one made to run an office for 24 hours. It can run my house for over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I know a guy that ran a $5k Cisco switch in his living room. Why he would live with a drat jet engine next to his TV for years instead of just dropping a hundred bucks on a decent Netgear was a completely different question though.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A former colleague was given 5 NIB LTO6 tape drives.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A ticket came in just now, one of our customers decided to spent Christmas spamming their customers and they are angry because they got caught by multiple spam filters. Gonna make sure this ends up at back of the line.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A ticket came in this morning for a client's server running out of space. I'm on call this week so I fire up the remote tools and sure enough C:\ grew over 200gb today alone.

Turns out someone was bored working overnight on Christmas and decided to install Steam, syncing his entire library.

How he had access to the server root drive is beyond me, though from other notes it looks like that client "handles their own security policies," which is a constant source of revenue for us.

My boss and I chuckled, told the user to to install games on his own workstation if he were going to do that, and went back to hoping nothing of actual import breaks today.

Merry Christmas, goons

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I once took home a fusion io drive that was "not working" any longer according to the Sys Admin. It still runs fine in my computer, and those things are like $10000 or what?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BabyFur Denny posted:

I once took home a fusion io drive that was "not working" any longer according to the Sys Admin. It still runs fine in my computer, and those things are like $10000 or what?
Yeah. We just started using those at work and everyone is freaking out about how amazing they are.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BabyFur Denny posted:

A fusion IO card would be a sick toy to own. That's quite the score.

How big is it?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guys I think I'm developing PTSD from my lovely IT job and my lovely boss who freaks out about everything because he knows nothing. I swear to god I'm living a real life Groundhog Day.

I'm so tired of treating the symptoms and not the disease. There's so much red tape and politics and institutional resistance to any suggested improvement. It's maddening.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Chickenwalker posted:

Guys I think I'm developing PTSD from my lovely IT job and my lovely boss who freaks out about everything because he knows nothing. I swear to god I'm living a real life Groundhog Day.

I'm so tired of treating the symptoms and not the disease. There's so much red tape and politics and institutional resistance to any suggested improvement. It's maddening.

Kick back, relax, set your effort level to 'Zero Fucks Given', and watch the world burn. Spend time searching for a new job instead of trying to come up with solutions that no one in charge wants, or study for some new certs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

m.hache posted:

We're a small shop so anything that plugs in is my problem.

Their router died today and they wanted wifi for the Xmas presents they bought.

I know everyone always says "Stand your ground and they will respect you more" but that won't work here. I'm in charge of all of her IT and if not she'll find someone else.

Help, I am stuck in a well!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Kick back, relax, set your effort level to 'Zero Fucks Given', and watch the world burn. Spend time searching for a new job instead of trying to come up with solutions that no one in charge wants, or study for some new certs.

You can also try the "Nero Fiddling" effort level, when you really want to make a point that it is indeed possible to give a negative quantity of fucks about the situation.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Funny: Someone actually fell for the lost-thumb-drive-private_pictures.zip.exe thing.
Not funny: They tried it on three more computers before they gave up.
Back around to funny: "Can we call the cops and see if they can identify the hacker based on who's in the pictures?"

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

Funny: Someone actually fell for the lost-thumb-drive-private_pictures.zip.exe thing.
Back around to funny: "Can we call the cops and see if they can identify the hacker based on who's in the pictures?"

I feel like belligerent ignorance like this should be a fireable offense.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sfwarlock posted:

Is this just littering some drives near the site you want to hack?

That's a very clever attack!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is this just littering some drives near the site you want to hack?

That's a very clever attack!

The more I think about it the more I am impressed. Flash drives are stupidly cheap now so you could easily put malicious code onto a few hundred and then casually leave them on business countertops and blanket a broad area in a few days. Granted, it puts you at risk of being identified by surveillance camera, but I'd be surprised if the rate of people plugging them in to snoop around wasn't greater than 25%. People are nosy as all hell, and what's the harm in looking right?

Man that'd actually be a really interesting experiment to run with non-malicious code just to see the response rate of that kind of social engineering attack.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I want to do it in my own company with code that notifies me when they plug it in and again if they run an exe on it.

Edit:

Put it on a loop of string connected to some lipstick.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mo_Steel posted:

The more I think about it the more I am impressed. Flash drives are stupidly cheap now so you could easily put malicious code onto a few hundred and then casually leave them on business countertops and blanket a broad area in a few days. Granted, it puts you at risk of being identified by surveillance camera, but I'd be surprised if the rate of people plugging them in to snoop around wasn't greater than 25%. People are nosy as all hell, and what's the harm in looking right?

Man that'd actually be a really interesting experiment to run with non-malicious code just to see the response rate of that kind of social engineering attack.
Not just malicious files, but they might have malicious firmware also.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Agrikk posted:

How big is it?

We've been using these for a couple years now and I've been trying to get my hands on one. My manager already has one at home, so I know I can snag one eventually. Would give me an excuse to re-build my home lab with better hardware!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Agrikk posted:

How big is it?

600 GB. Enough for everything I need.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

FYI this "lost usb stick" technique nothing new, at all.

Question is: is your company being targeted and what kind of attacker is determined enough to prepare a usb stick and physically place it somewhere for one of your employees to find? Rather than sending a phishing mail which takes far less effort and risk.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Mo_Steel posted:

/Pics/HolidaySnaps/Barbados/Honeymoon/DirtyPics.zip.exe Should just open up a full screen message in rainbow flashing colours that reads "YOU'RE FIRED" while playing really loud music.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want to do it in my own company with code that notifies me when they plug it in and again if they run an exe on it.

Edit:

Put it on a loop of string connected to some lipstick.
Our security guys did this as pre-justification for disabling autoplay and also USB drives on most users' PCs. I think something like 30% of the drives they left in the parking lot popped up on the network. Not sure if they ever got the rest back though, hope they bought cheap ones.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mo_Steel posted:

Department of Homeland Security did this in their own parking lot with DHS-branded thumb drives. 90% of the drives were then plugged into agency computers.

(Only 60% with drives without the logo. lol)

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

spankmeister posted:

FYI this "lost usb stick" technique nothing new, at all.

Question is: is your company being targeted and what kind of attacker is determined enough to prepare a usb stick and physically place it somewhere for one of your employees to find? Rather than sending a phishing mail which takes far less effort and risk.

Apparently it was found at the local subway station. (I work in something of a tech-heavy area.)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Department of Homeland Security did this in their own parking lot with DHS-branded thumb drives. 90% of the drives were then plugged into agency computers.

(Only 60% with drives without the logo. lol)

One agency started blacklisting all but approved models of hardware encrypted USB drives. IT published a list of blacklisted USB devices by frequency. It was mosty phones, but a decent amount of off the shelf thumbdrives.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

waffle iron posted:

One agency started blacklisting all but approved models of hardware encrypted USB drives. IT published a list of blacklisted USB devices by frequency. It was mosty phones, but a decent amount of off the shelf thumbdrives.

... If they have a list of approved hardware, why not whitelist?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
They did that to us as well but it's only the really lovely overpriced Cisco thumb drives. So now I have a pile of like 20 1GB Cisco sticks that arbitrarily work / don't work on different routers. OpEx / CapEx is loving stupid when it's the difference between a robust TFTP solution and buying 100/ea cases of the shittiest thumb drives for twice as much.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you haven't flashed a router using XMODEM you haven't lived.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's the day after Jewish Christmas and actually I have decided that I am going to compile a list of things I am thankful for:

-That I traded my on-call rotation for the day after New Years.

And uh....well, that's the only IT related thing on it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

... If they have a list of approved hardware, why not whitelist?

I thought the same thing when I read it. Maybe some misunderstanding of how the Windows driver model works or poor tools to manage a whitelist.

Edit: This is an agency that buys Dell branded printers. Also I am convinced that regional districts have their own IT groups making independent purchasing/deployment decisions.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spankmeister posted:

drat!

I haven't used Xmodem since Zmodem came around.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

drat!

I don't recall, did any routers support Kermit? Kermit was the poo poo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flosofl posted:

I don't recall, did any routers support Kermit? Kermit was the poo poo.

cisco does xmodem and ymodem, not kermit iirc.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

drat!

I got into that stuff long after zmodem happened, but I think I tried xmodem a few times just to say I had. Ymodem-g was my jam though. I was willing to sacrifice any meaningful error correction for that ~10% boost in speed. I was an impatient child, and 2400 baud was quite the ordeal for me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A ticket came in. I was cleaning up unread stuff on xmas, so I could see if anyone I gave a drat about emailed. There was a note that my group has been assigned a ticket. Apparently someone decided to upgrade their work laptop to 10.9 on Christmas. And broke it somehow. So it got assigned to us to handle. First level said to replace their hard drive and give them a loaner.

We're hardware repair. This is just so deliciously wrong. We'll probably help the poor person, but we're closed till the 5th, so...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stubblyhead posted:

I got into that stuff long after zmodem happened, but I think I tried xmodem a few times just to say I had. Ymodem-g was my jam though. I was willing to sacrifice any meaningful error correction for that ~10% boost in speed. I was an impatient child, and 2400 baud was quite the ordeal for me.

After being a freshman with 24 300 baud lines, 12 1200 baud, and 8 2400 baud lines, 2400 baud seemed wicked fast to me at the time. I would even put up with 300 because "I'm remote! From my dorm! To campus computers!"

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

People are so lazy.
One of my favorite ones that came in was
"my phone cord is tangled"

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

spankmeister posted:

I've done this, god bless Cisco routers still having xmodem. Took a long-rear end time though. At least the latest ones have usb so if you have physical access it's not nearly as much of a pain in the rear end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

jadeddrifter posted:

People are so lazy.
One of my favorite ones that came in was
"my phone cord is tangled"

Ticket resolved: user given a pair of scissors.

• Locked thread