Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Finished the game, P4side, Hard. 64 hours clocked.

Really, really unbalanced and terribly easy, and it leaned too hard on character gimmicks, but still a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I want a Merciful Clergyman Navi voice pack. That dude has a great voice.

In all honesty, if they had voice packs of all the bosses I couldn't say I wouldn't buy them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Do weapons affect anything aside from standard attacks, or can I just ignore upgrading them?

Also I'm surprised by how much SP Power Charge eats up this time around. Is it pretty much saved just for when you get Boosts?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just stick with status effect weapons. They don't affect anything but standard attacks, and using them for statuses is more use than you'd get out of them otherwise.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Do weapons affect anything aside from standard attacks, or can I just ignore upgrading them?

Also I'm surprised by how much SP Power Charge eats up this time around. Is it pretty much saved just for when you get Boosts?

Yeah, between the cost and the fact that it uses up a buff slot (you can only have three buffs active at once per character), Power Charge is really situational in this game. You can make a case for it in the late game when multi-hit attacks make it really easy to crit, but even then it's still competing against other buffs.

Weapon attack power affects a few niche things like Death Counter and Death Chaser in addition to normal attacks, but it doesn't affect the vast majority of physical skills.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I've found Power Charge good for setting up a link chain (it seems to have an effect on the link damage), but otherwise I can see not using it much. Pretty expensive, and goes away after the one hit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Power Charge is amazing for the multi hit skills like Myriad Arrows, Danse Macabre, and Hassou Tobi. You'll only ever use it in a boss fight so the MP cost is meaningless. Especially on the first turn because you're setting up still and probably won't hit any decent FOEs before debuffs/status/binds take effect anyway.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What the hell do I do about the Grudge FOE on the fourth floor of Spirit Club?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Detective No. 27 posted:

What the hell do I do about the Grudge FOE on the fourth floor of Spirit Club?

There's a section in the final room which is a corridor with a light at either end of it with a light switch right nearby. You lure it into the corridor then turn the lights on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't even get that far. I can get up to the pinch point where you get ambushed by the baby FOE.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't even get that far. I can get up to the pinch point where you get ambushed by the baby FOE.

It's on the other side of the room from there, almost directly to the west IIRC.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Detective No. 27 posted:

The "light trap" for the Doll FOE is west of there. Ideally, you should be trapping the Old Doll in the light trap before you even get to the baby FOE. Then, you lead the baby around the circular light trap just south of where it pops to get just enough space between the two of you to reach the next area.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm pretty sure the baby comes after where you can trap it, but i just started new game+ so i can't check.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah! I hadn't even considered going out the room.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

EDIT: beaten like a panic circled stratum boss--is there any way to refight those guys, btw?

If you got pinned like that, you went the wrong way. The corridor where you can trap the doll FOE is on the opposite side of that room.

I don't know how the hell you all are clearing the game so quickly. At the point where you guys are finishing the game I'm still only on the 3rd floor of Inaba Pride. Granted, I'm continually handicapping myself by trying to keep everyone roughly evenly leveled, at least until they learn all their skills. And fusing Personas into new ones regardless of how useful they are, once THEY learn all their skills.

Is the trend to just find a party that works and stick with it? Because I've found the P3/P4 leads, Kanji, Naoto, and Zen/Rei tears through most encounters like tissue paper.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Finished the game yesterday. P3, lvl 72, 56 hours on Risky.

Risky is not worth playing. It's not particularly difficult and getting one shotted is more annoying than I remember.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally picked this game up. Started on the P3 side because...I dunno, just felt like being the P3 MC. Aigis, Akihiko, Junpei and Zen/Rei as my starting party.

Now I'm on the second level of the second labyrinth, loving this game. A lot more accessible and maybe a little more forgiving than the regular Etrian Odyssey games (and try as I might I just couldn't get into EO or EO4). The music is great, the character interactions are great, and the sub Persona system is a stroke of genius. I'd actually love to see some variation on it show up in later Persona games. It kind of reminds me of the Magatama system from Nocturne.

I do have a question, actually:

I've taken on a request that requires me to kill an enemy in a specific way, by binding its agility. I had thought this just meant using Sukunda on it, but apparently that isn't the solution. What move is the Agility Bind skill? Who learns it/what Personas can I fuse for it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rangpur posted:

Is the trend to just find a party that works and stick with it? Because I've found the P3/P4 leads, Kanji, Naoto, and Zen/Rei tears through most encounters like tissue paper.

Seems like it. I've been sticking with P4 Protag, Shinji, Mitsuru, Naoto and Yukiko

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scarecrow is an agility bind, the best option is Lethargy Circle. Read the skill description. You were using a debuff, binds and status effects are different from buffs/debuffs and the description of the skill will make it clear which kind of skill it is.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There's a weapon you can find for Teddie that has a high chance of inflicting agility bind also.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Just got Persona Q the other day and I finally got past the first dungeon. Now I'm a little overwhelmed at all my options for a team. I'm working with P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Aegis/Naoto. But I'm thinking I'm probably gonna get rid for someone else though and I'm not sure who. Giving me 18 characters to form a five person party with is too much, damnit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lynkericious posted:

Just got Persona Q the other day and I finally got past the first dungeon. Now I'm a little overwhelmed at all my options for a team. I'm working with P4MC/Yosuke/Kanji/Aegis/Naoto. But I'm thinking I'm probably gonna get rid for someone else though and I'm not sure who. Giving me 18 characters to form a five person party with is too much, damnit.

It's a fanservice game, pick whoever services you as a fan. There are so many ways to snap the game that it hardly matters who you use. Naoto is easy mode, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lynkericious posted:

I think Yosuke is the most easily replaced, everyone else is great.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If you haven't, try Aigis. She's a beast, Orgia mode breaks the early game and will save your rear end 9/10 times.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Rangpur posted:

EDIT: beaten like a panic circled stratum boss--is there any way to refight those guys, btw?

Well, there's New Game+, but otherwise no.

Lynkericious posted:

At some point you want to level up both the P3MC and the P4MC to level 55 to unlock a quest that enables major upgrades for all your characters, so if you feel like mixing your party up it's worth throwing the P3MC in there for a while. Even if you'd rather not use him, at least stick your best Growth accessory on him once those become available.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Lynkericious posted:

Using either Chie or Kanji (or both) will pay off very well later on once phys starts outweighing magic on both sustainability and damage, so be sure to keep one of them leveled.

Besides that, go nuts. Naoto/Yukari/Yukiko/Mitsuro/P3M are your mages, with p3m having baller stats and the highest magic balanced by a pretty poo poo set of resistances, and naoto having the best base resistances and skills. Aegis is the tankiest of tanks with no real peer and can do solid phys, but having her isn't strictly necessary. P4main and Akihiko are good early on due to their awesome stats but get a little outclassed later. Everyone else is kinda meh, but certainly usable with the right setup.

As mentioned before, once p3m and p4m reach 55, you'll get a side quest causing main personas to change once any character hits 55. This causes them to gain new resistances and a new skill ranging from ok to totally awesome. P3m and p4m get a ton of milage out of this with great skills and insane resistances, so using them both will pay off a ton once you hit 55.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 27, 2014

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Well, there's New Game+, but otherwise no.
That's a shame. When you're fighting them the first time and it's (theoretically) this desperate struggle for advantage and tempo, it's nice to hear bosses talk back to you. Damaging them enough to force the response feels like a hard-won achievment. Helps that whoever does the voices for them is spot-on. The voice acting in general has been pretty good, the only quips that grate on me are the Navigators' response to debuffs and status ailments. Yes, I know my defenese has been lowered and I'll take more damage if I get hit, thank you. It's happened a dozen times on this floor so far, I have grasped the many implications.

Still, great game overall. Are they any QR codes for Persona that are in the mid-50s instead of level 70/80 Yoshimitsus and such?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
If I could figure out how to get a QR code from my 3DS to imgur, I have a kick rear end Attis for navigators. :( Mylaptop can't take SD cards though (it's about six years old) and I don't know of another way to connect...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The Grimace posted:

If I could figure out how to get a QR code from my 3DS to imgur, I have a kick rear end Attis for navigators. :( Mylaptop can't take SD cards though (it's about six years old) and I don't know of another way to connect...

You can get a USB SD card reader from an electronics store for like five bucks, although if you don't have uses for it besides sending out QR codes to strangers on the internet I can understand not wanting to go to the trouble.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You don't need anything extra, just snapping a photo of the QR code and posting it to imgur works like 90% of the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wondering how tough the game would be a 'worst' party. I'm guessing P4MC/Teddie/Yukiko/Yukari, and, I dunno, Mitsuru or Zen?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

P4MC is actually pretty good by the end if you keep the final accessory for beating Elizabeth on him, he was doing about as much damage as Kanji for me. Though I guess he would be worse at being inferior Naoto than P3MC would be.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm only at the tail end of the second Labyrinth, but this game feels like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction of Devil Survivor, where Phys is really loving good and Magic is useless.

If only I had both Kanji and Chie tearin' poo poo up :(

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm only at the tail end of the second Labyrinth, but this game feels like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction of Devil Survivor, where Phys is really loving good and Magic is useless.

If only I had both Kanji and Chie tearin' poo poo up :(

I like the elemental physical attacks a lot. So long as I can keep getting my boosts, Akihiko and Junpei will just slaughter everyone.

Thuryl posted:

At some point you want to level up both the P3MC and the P4MC to level 55 to unlock a quest that enables major upgrades for all your characters, so if you feel like mixing your party up it's worth throwing the P3MC in there for a while. Even if you'd rather not use him, at least stick your best Growth accessory on him once those become available.

Oh poo poo. I'm glad I heard about this now, I was definitely not gonna use the P4MC until I played that route. I'll slap a Growth accessory on him then--that'll let him get exp even if he's not in my party, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wondering how tough the game would be a 'worst' party. I'm guessing P4MC/Teddie/Yukiko/Yukari, and, I dunno, Mitsuru or Zen?

Mitsuru has Tentarafoo so she can't possibly be in a worst party. Low-level no-slot-wasted party-wide low-cost Panic may not be as good as Panic circle but it's still gamebreakingly powerful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not like it's hard to get Tentarafoo or Panic Circle, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not like it's hard to get Tentarafoo or Panic Circle, though.

Yes, but having it without using up a skill slot alone is a good thing. Her magic stat is also absurd which makes her pretty prime for using the reverse-stat accessories if you really need agility or luck.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Wht makes circles great, though? They seem to hit a lot less often than the partywide spells?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iceclaw posted:

Wht makes circles great, though? They seem to hit a lot less often than the partywide spells?

Circles attempt to recast every turn without using up your own turn. You can get multiple attempts to hit a turn, or cast Panic Circle and then follow it up with Tentarafoo every round to increase your chances of hitting. (You can also follow up with Panic Circle every round but it's more expensive.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, status effects in this game seem just plain bananas, in a good way.

• Locked thread