Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best ending a wraith could hope for is to come to terms with their own death, let go of everything that ever mattered to them, and then finally die for real. It's not creepy, but it's pretty heavy stuff.

Edit: And of course mechanically speaking Transcendence isn't nearly so easy as just saying "Yeah, I'm dead and want to move on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

But at least it's easier that Golconda.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I never got the point of Golconda. You have to play a character who isn't allowed to do fun vampire stuff, then go through a long series of pain in the rear end quests and visions, and at the end of it all you just get a character who won't frenzy, but can't do anything interesting that might make frenzy an issue.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ghetto Prince posted:

I never got the point of Golconda. You have to play a character who isn't allowed to do fun vampire stuff, then go through a long series of pain in the rear end quests and visions, and at the end of it all you just get a character who won't frenzy, but can't do anything interesting that might make frenzy an issue.

It's the whole "vampires are bloodsucking monsters" thing that they're dealing with. If you want to get past that without killing yourself, then the elusive Golconda is your ticket out. Maybe. But it was near-impossible to figure out and worse to actually do.

The earlier editions codified it a bit more, but as of Revised you could see WW backing off it and just saying "this is A Thing, its personal to the vamp, ST's go nuts at your discretion. GL HF"

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

I see it like if you want to play Vampire as something closer to Promethean* and have it be about a quest to become human or something closer to human at least instead of politics and poo poo. It isn't something you do at some point during the story, trying to attain it is the story.

*I barely know jack about Promethean

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Vampyr Apocrypha posted: posted:

This book is titled "Vampyr Apocrypha":
Unidentified Sarcophagus
Discovered by Julius of Gaul, 1068 AD
Near Ankara, Ottoman Empire

Let me sperg about this bit of info:

In 1068 Ankara was called Ancyra and was part of the Byzantine Empire, the Ottoman Empire didn't become a thing untill 1299. In between those two names the city was known as Angora for a long time, and as far as my googling tells me the city was always known as Angora while under Ottoman control.

Thanks for keeping up the LP, TheMcD!

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

JackNapier posted:

Ok Thread, you guys haven't lead me wrong since I started reading the thread, I was walking through my local book store and found the have a Wraith splatbook, I looked for any of the other WW splats but didn't find anything, should I hold out hope they get some more books, or indulge and grab that sucker before it's gone?

You can also get a bunch of the WW books in POD/PDF format over this way: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse/pub/1/White-Wolf

I imagine it'll be a bit cheaper than eBay (another place to check is Amazon marketplace), though you do have to check the previews before ordering as, sometimes, the quality isn't exactly perfect.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jean Pony posted:

Let me sperg about this bit of info:

In 1068 Ankara was called Ancyra and was part of the Byzantine Empire, the Ottoman Empire didn't become a thing untill 1299. In between those two names the city was known as Angora for a long time, and as far as my googling tells me the city was always known as Angora while under Ottoman control.

I remember reading that and thinking "wait, I'm pretty drat certain the Ottomans weren't an 11th century thing" but forgot it by the time I was writing the update. It's a pretty odd anachronism - it wouldn't have been that hard to just swap things around.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I don't even think that you can point this at the WoD, either; imo, the Byzantines were far more WoD-y than the Ottomans were. (Hmm. Speaking as someone who's never played, does anyone else think that Constantinople might be a fantastic place to do a Dark Ages campaign?)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The book could have been written at a later date; historians use place names contemporary to themselves all the time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

wiegieman posted:

The book could have been written at a later date; historians use place names contemporary to themselves all the time.

The problem with that, as Jean Pony said, is that the city only became known as Ankara in 1930, after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire. So something's kind of off here. Since Vampyr Apocrypha doesn't seem to be based on anything, I'd wager it's just the fault of a writer at Troika with a bit of a tenuous grasp on history that didn't bother to double-check this little factoid since it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Is time travel a thing in the WoD, or was that just Genius?

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Time Magic/Enlightened Science exists, and higher levels of Time allow you to go on magical time adventures, but it's stupid dangerous. The Void Engineers have a specific "Chrononaut" section, and, if I remember correctly, that group has the highest mortality rate out of all the Void Engineer departments - including the guys who go into space to fight Cthulhu-monsters and explore alien subdimensions.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So it's probably not written by Julius the Chrinonaut.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Paradox backlash from loving around with Time magic can have consequences up to and including the mage being retroactively erased from time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheMcD posted:

The problem with that, as Jean Pony said, is that the city only became known as Ankara in 1930, after the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire. So something's kind of off here. Since Vampyr Apocrypha doesn't seem to be based on anything, I'd wager it's just the fault of a writer at Troika with a bit of a tenuous grasp on history that didn't bother to double-check this little factoid since it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture.

If the book was written as late as the 19th century it could just be that the author had his own peculiar spelling. English wasn't always regulated down to one spelling for one word, and this was especially true for foreign words and places.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can somebody sperg about Genius?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Mad Scientist: the Game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Siegkrow posted:

It's a fanmade game line where 5 points in one thing gets you city-busting weapons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Mad Scientist: the Game.

Genius is "I wanted to be a good-guy technomancer in NWoD": the game.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

World of Darkness by way of Girl Genius

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
With all these ancient conspiracies running around causing hijinks, are there any non-superhuman organizations in the WoD?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LoonShia posted:

With all these ancient conspiracies running around causing hijinks, are there any non-superhuman organizations in the WoD?

If it's of any importance, some supernatural force has their fingers in it and their leader is probably supernatural or is directly controlled by something supernatural. Except if you're Hitler.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

If it's of any importance, some supernatural force has their fingers in it and their leader is probably supernatural or is directly controlled by something supernatural. Except if you're Hitler.

Hitler is the edgy trump card. Some day someone with the WW license will reboot the lore and have Hitler be every supernatural just to get press.

A vampire/warewolf/fey/promethian/mage Hitler.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

In NWoD the business world is mostly supernatural free, if only because the humans keep assassinating them all.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

KirbyKhan posted:

Hitler is the edgy trump card. Some day someone with the WW license will reboot the lore and have Hitler be every supernatural just to get press.

Warewolf Hitler has already been done thanks to that awful Operation Darkness game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I think I missed it, but does the Body Armour give you any visual changes to your armour like the various clothing options do?

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Gideon020 posted:

I think I missed it, but does the Body Armour give you any visual changes to your armour like the various clothing options do?
Nope. It’s essentially the heavy clothing with added inbuilt Kevlar.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

KirbyKhan posted:

Samuel Haight: Electric Boogaloo.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

David Corbett posted:

I don't even think that you can point this at the WoD, either; imo, the Byzantines were far more WoD-y than the Ottomans were. (Hmm. Speaking as someone who's never played, does anyone else think that Constantinople might be a fantastic place to do a Dark Ages campaign?)

Constantinople WAS a setting for a Dark Ages campaign, I thought? It's also one of the places where Nosferatu were considered one of the "high" clans.

It was also run by a 4th Generation Toreador that was convinced it was literally the Archangel Michael, and to this day Sasha Vykos devours anyone it meets that might have had anything to do with said Methuselah in the hope that, if enough vitae is condensed in one location, the Methuselah might pop back up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LoonShia posted:

Yes, the dumbest conspiracy ever!

In Werewolf, there is a Wyrm-worshiping cult called the Seventh Generation, and their schtick is basically "Republicans are evil." Some of them may be possessed by Bane spirits, and they do have ritual magic, but by and large they are just evil humans with no super powers. The cult is made up of conservative lobbyists, televangelists, soldiers, doctors, and child molesters. Seriously, the idea is that they want to ruin people's lives from cradle-to-grave so that they'll make the world a worse place and thereby serve the Wyrm. So they campaign for women to have no reproductive rights, children to have no rights at all, for doctors and psychologists to abuse their patients and get away with it, for sexual assault laws to be ineffectual, and for child molesters and serial killers to never be caught. They also lobby for pollution, unethical medical experiments, war, and sexism and racism in general, because they're Snidely Rapelash.

Imagine that everything lovely about the Republican Party's politics was being deliberately orchestrated by a Satanic cult, that's the Seventh Generation. It was a classic case of the WoD being thoroughly 90s; knee-jerk anti-conservatism paired with Satanic Panic style paranoia. Later line developers saw it for how ridiculous and weird it is and quietly wrote them out of being relevant.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

citybeatnik posted:

Constantinople WAS a setting for a Dark Ages campaign, I thought? It's also one of the places where Nosferatu were considered one of the "high" clans.

It was also run by a 4th Generation Toreador that was convinced it was literally the Archangel Michael, and to this day Sasha Vykos devours anyone it meets that might have had anything to do with said Methuselah in the hope that, if enough vitae is condensed in one location, the Methuselah might pop back up.

It was one of oWoD's better sourcebooks. The story essentially came down to different groups of idealists being unable to live together over fairly minor differences of opinion. The PCs could pick whichever faction they wanted to and help them win without feeling like they were making a morally lovely choice.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, we're officially in trouble, I believe. Turns out that yes, patching upwards on the same save might have some adverse effects. In this case, I can't get in the Hallowbrook Hotel because a new map was introduced in 8.9, causing the switch for the elevator to just break and do nothing, and even if I changelevel to the new map, things get hosed (losing my inventory seems to happen regardless of which changelevel command I use, and it seems like I'm also breaking scripts by entering in this way).

I'm going to have to try downgrading back down to 8.8, which is probably a bad idea for several different reasons, but gently caress it, it's the best shot I have beyond literally playing through the entire game again (hint: I'm not doing that).

There is no Bloodlines LP curse, god damnit!

EDIT: Even if I were to accept complete inventory loss (if push comes to shove, it wouldn't be that big a deal if I just use the console to give me back everything), moving towards the Sabbat ending crashes the game, so that's not acceptable. Downgrading it is.

Potential alternate alternate solution: Start new game, cheat stats, play through Hallowbrook alone by setting flags, show it off, then trip the flag for completing it on the main save. This might not be possible, I don't know that much about the nitty-gritty behind the exterior.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 27, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I would also try copying the saves directory and then just doing a re-install, patching up to 8.8, and plopping the saves directory back in.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Shugojin posted:

I would also try copying the saves directory and then just doing a re-install, patching up to 8.8, and plopping the saves directory back in.

Yeah, that'll be my second avenue in attempting to fix this mess. I'm not sure just how hosed up this save is going to be, going from 8.8 to 8.9 to 9.0 to 9.1 to 9.2 and back to 8.8, but I really want to see if it can actually work out.

Somewhere in this updating process, the door to Mercurio and Heather both broke, I'm certain of it.

EDIT: OK, seems like just patching the old patch over the new patch fixed the problem. I was able to get into Hallowbrook Hotel, on the Sabbat path, and out again without a problem, and I'm going to assume that going through the hotel regularly will work just as well. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the rear end later.

EDIT AGAIN: But Mercurio's door still isn't fixed. I believe that would require me going back to when this first occured, meaning back on update 32.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 27, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think this must be what being a Malkavian must be like.
"I can't 'use' this door. Nothing happens, it must be broken. When I walk through that door, I lose all of my stuff. Maybe I should go back and redo things?"

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

TheMcD posted:

EDIT AGAIN: But Mercurio's door still isn't fixed. I believe that would require me going back to when this first occured, meaning back on update 32.

I was using patch 9.0 then, so if you've tried 8.9 and 8.8.... I don't know what to do.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Rockopolis posted:

I think this must be what being a Malkavian must be like.
"I can't 'use' this door. Nothing happens, it must be broken. When I walk through that door, I lose all of my stuff. Maybe I should go back and redo things?"
Yeah, when I broke the gently caress out of my game by jumping on LaCroix’s head too many times, it was my Malkavian run. Considering Malks have a line where they acknowledge the player is controlling them, the consequences felt like a reasonably well-executed bid for freedom.

loving Malkavians. :tinfoil:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gatz posted:

I was using patch 9.0 then, so if you've tried 8.9 and 8.8.... I don't know what to do.

Well, at least I can changelevel2 to Mercurio's without causing problems. I'd probably either have to change to 8.9 to fix it (which would re-break Hallowbrook Hotel) or it's just broken in general (like Hallowbrook is on my latest save - I can only progress if I go through the segment with the Prince and Beckett and get the quest after reinstalling 8.8). Not really worth pursuing further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Just had a thought, what if Bach wasn't lying about what he saw in Grout's mansion? He wouldn't have any reason to lie in his own private journal. If neither he or Melissa did the staking, who did? Or did Grout fake his death? Those chess emails are suitably Malkavian. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread