Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrestling fans hate wrestling announcer who reminds them of themselves, wonder why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Yuriy posted:

i like matt striker, he's good on lucha underground

wrong

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

we'll agree to disagree bro, it's cool

Alouicious posted:

wrestling fans hate wrestling announcer who reminds them of themselves, wonder why

he makes kinda weird references and knows his poo poo and is sort of self-aware, him having a touch of the goon about him is what makes his commentary worthwhile imo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

we'll agree to disagree bro, it's cool

he makes kinda weird references and knows his poo poo and is sort of self-aware, him having a touch of the goon about him is what makes his commentary worthwhile imo

The problem with him is he doesn't actually know his poo poo he just pretends he does.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwgcLu1Q_pg

This video was put out, and Striker uses Togi Makabe's shoot name for no reason.

Whyyyyyy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Huh, I had no idea his real personal name was Shinya. I assume he changed i due to Hashimoto

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwgcLu1Q_pg

This video was put out, and Striker uses Togi Makabe's shoot name for no reason.

Whyyyyyy.

makabe wrestled under that name for a long time but yeah it's still probably striker just being a dweeb

my favorite part is him starting the video by making fun of JR's japanese pronunciation and then busts out the "jennarichoo tennroo"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Striker gets the flu and is refused entry to Japan. Can't even tone it down for a hype video, you dork.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

coconono posted:

I hope Striker gets the flu and is refused entry to Japan. Can't even tone it down for a hype video, you dork.

We've broken his spirit:
https://twitter.com/Matt_Striker_/status/548589532921487361

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

matt striker if you're reading this thread he's only done the ishii driller like once and it's pronounced "shin skay" and remember who got you the job buddy, go get 'em

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

matt striker if you're reading this gently caress you

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
matt striker sing a long with kaze ni nare or you've dishonored your family.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

matt striker sing a long with kaze ni nare or you've dishonored your family.

you're banned if he does this

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Matt Striker isn't great or even good but he's not terrible and the hate for him has just become a circlejerk at this point. There are worse commentators working in major companies right now.

That's not how you pronounce Shinsuke at all though. Absolutely shameful.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Matt Striker isn't great, but I don't mind him.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Is there some kind of "Worst of Matt Striker" compilation out there? I was out of wrestling while he was working for WWE, so I don't have much of an opinion.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I think one time he said "I'm marking out!" on commentary and sometimes he mentions anime or comic books because he is a dweeb, and he gets a little creepy from time to time but he's no jerry the king lawler calling a literal 3 year old girl a slut on live television that people are so nostalgic for. I think he just gets a bad rap because he can be a little awkward and overexcited and dweeby and some folks see themselves in that and lash out. At least the fucker has energy and actually CARES about poo poo. I think he will do fine and likely not make too much of an rear end out of himself, if only out of fear of losing any respect JR has for him in the process.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
My circle of friends and I know nothing about NJPW but these video packages and the hype around it made us plan to order it at 1am after the UFC card so good job Jeff Jarrett/Jim Ross/Matt Striker.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ExplodeYourself posted:

Is there some kind of "Worst of Matt Striker" compilation out there? I was out of wrestling while he was working for WWE, so I don't have much of an opinion.

Mike Adamle called shows with a legit broken brain and he was way less obnoxious than Matt Striker.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's happening!!!

quote:

Global Force Wrestling

Jeff Jarrett's Global Force Wrestling announced three shows -- 7/24, 8/21 and 10/23 -- as television tapings at The Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. No other details were announced regarding names or a broadcast partner.

The official press release:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The glitz and glamour of Sin City will meet the hard-charging, high energy of professional wrestling when Global Force Wrestling brings its brand to Las Vegas for the first taping of its broadcast event shows on Friday, July 24 at the Orleans Arena.

The gaming and “Entertainment Capital of the World” has been the site for some of the biggest boxing and MMA fights in history. Now, Las Vegas has another major sporting event to add to that list.

“This time, what happens in Vegas will not stay in Vegas,” said Jeff Jarrett, GFW founder and CEO. “Global Force Wrestling is looking forward to bringing the freshest brand of professional wrestling to fans from all over the world; and, it all starts right here in the fight capital of the world."

GFW’s first three shows at the Orleans Arena will take place on Friday, July 24;Friday, Aug. 21 and Friday, Oct. 23. GFW has alliances with 13 affiliates on five continents, including New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Mexico’s AAA and federations in Europe, Australia and Africa.

“Las Vegas hosts some of the world’s best entertainment and sporting events -- we are thrilled to be the home of the GFW brand and introduce fans to the next great wrestling franchise,” said Darren Davis, Executive Director of the Orleans Arena. “Jeff Jarrett and Global Force Wrestling promise to bring something new and exciting to the sport.”

Jarrett, a third-generation wrestling promoter, has been laying the groundwork for GFW for the past year. In addition to international partnerships, the former wrestling champion has been scouring North America for the newest and freshest talent professional wrestling has to offer.

Details about tickets, special VIP opportunities and other important information about the inaugural GFW tapings will be announced in the coming weeks. For more information, visit https://www.globalforcewrestling.com or https://www.orleansarena.com. Join the conversation on Twitter with the hashtag #GFWVegas.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Second coming of World Wrestling All-Stars :hellyeah:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Last night WCW finally died for good, or so we thought.

But one man refuses to let it die.

Godspeed, Jeff Jarrett. You are great.

...Wait, he announced them as TELEVISION TAPINGS?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

Last night WCW finally died for good, or so we thought.

But one man refuses to let it die.

Godspeed, Jeff Jarrett. You are great.

...Wait, he announced them as TELEVISION TAPINGS?

I think I read the plan was super-indie TV specials at this point, but Jeff apparently has had PPV by the balls since 2001 so...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

“This time, what happens in Vegas will not stay in Vegas,”

What a wonderfully cheesy line. I love you Jeff :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DJExile posted:

“This time, what happens in Vegas will not stay in Vegas,”

What a wonderfully cheesy line. I love you Jeff :allears:

It is now fated that the TV deal he's working on will fall through.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IT'S (still) HAPPENING

quote:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – You might be able to buy peanuts and Cracker Jacks, and there’s sure to be a crowd. But this will be a whole new ball game.

The historic first Global Force Wrestling show will be held on Friday night, June 12 at The Ballpark at Jackson in Jackson, Tennessee. as part of GFW’s “MiLB Grand Slam Tour.” The tour will feature stops from Florida to California and several points in between.

It’s a grassroots approach building toward the first GFW broadcast event on Friday, July 24 at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. Minor-league parks operated by both private ownership and municipalities have agreed to play host to Global Force Wrestling shows when their baseball-playing tenants are out of town. It’s an easy win for the parks, which gain another great source for revenue. For GFW it’s a chance to build momentum, show off its roster and deliver on its mission statement to be the most fan interactive brand in sports entertainment.

“These ballparks are the center of attention in the summer in most of these cities, and we’re eager to get out there and mix with our fans and show them what the GFW brand is all about,” said Jeff Jarrett, Global Force Wrestling founder and CEO.

The stars of GFW will be appearing in such cities as Knoxville, Tennessee, Richmond, Virginia, and Clinton, Iowa. Dates for the summer ballpark tour are available on globalforcewrestling.com, and more will be added in the coming weeks.

“Global Force Wrestling presented us with a great plan, one that will be beneficial to us and all ballparks, teams and cities as well as to their burgeoning brand,” said Todd “Parney” Parnell, vice president and chief operating officer of the Richmond (Va.) Flying Squirrels. “We know GFW will generate a lot of interest and excitement, not only the night of the show but for weeks in advance.”

Atlanta Braves catcher A.J. Pierzynski is excited about the alliance of his profession and his pastime.

“Wrestling and baseball make a great tag team,” said Pierzynski, a wrestling aficionado. “And I’m thrilled to see so many minor-league parks, some of which I’ve played in, jump on board.”

Global Force Wrestling will roll out its talent roster in the next couple of weeks. It’s a lineup filled with speed and power, righties and lefties, starters and closers, sure to provide thrills at every ballpark.

#GFWGrandSlam

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Global Force is a national treasure.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can't find the tour dates that are advertised as being on the website. But rest assured, if they show up in Tampa I will try my best to be at a Global Force Wrestling show in 2015.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
If GFW makes it to Brooklyn or Staten Island who is down to go

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US8tSonEYnk

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

gfw is not real

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

gfw is not real

actually oatgan it is real

it is drat real

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Now I'm sorry I missed out on...

Actually I'm pretty ok with it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GFW is realer than Star Citizen

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
GFW will go bankrupt before we get a second trailer for The Last Guardian

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I was perhaps too hasty in calling it a fake wrestling promotion. I absolutely loved their first show New Japan Pro Wrestling presents Wrestlekingdom 9: Presented by Global Force Wrestling and selfishly want more. Apologies to all and poppa bear himself, King of the Mountain Jeff "Double J" Jarrett

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Global Force Wrestling would like to announce that its first talent signing is Oat Gan

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
literally no talent has been announced and yet this fake promotion already has booked minor league ballparks and Las Vegas shows and also took credit for the U.S. version of Wrestle Kingdom. what is this poo poo

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

literally no talent has been announced

ahem they have former tna wrestler hermie sadler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
when TNA goes under Jeff should sign all the TNA prospects (lol) like spud, bram and EC3 and bury every single one of them 6 feet deep. I'm talking clean squash defeats to the local team mascot.

• Locked thread