Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Huh, that's pretty simple. It's just a tube filled with fire extinguishing goo that melts and releases its content when it gets hot?

That's basically it. Liquified gas under high pressure that sprays out of the portion that burst. Here's a little video of one going off in a VW Bus: http://youtu.be/Kswau1mGBE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Finally swapped out the speakers in my Stagea. Previous owners had installed a $10 set in the rear doors and taken one look at the factory ones in the front before deciding that ten minutes of cutting and drilling was way too much work and promptly left them alone.

Things are sounding almost like they should, hoorar!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

PhoenixWing posted:

That's basically it. Liquified gas under high pressure that sprays out of the portion that burst. Here's a little video of one going off in a VW Bus: http://youtu.be/Kswau1mGBE8

Thats pretty cool!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PhoenixWing posted:

I think I need to get some of those. Where do you get them (I'll probably Google later, on phone now, but it would help to know what they tend to be called)?

Got a new tire for the Cherokee this morning. It had 3 Goodyears and 1 Firestone when I got it. Discount Tire wouldn't move the Firestone to the aluminum wheels when I got those (too old, and dry rotting), so I ended up with a new Kumho.
One of the Goodyears was just about to the wear bars, and I suspected a vibration the truck had was coming from that tire, so I replaced it with another Kumho. Happily, that did take care of the vibration, and now I have matched pairs on each axle. Now I'm sitting waiting while it gets state inspection.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I think I need to get some of those. Where do you get them (I'll probably Google later, on phone now, but it would help to know what they tend to be called)?

Got a new tire for the Cherokee this morning. It had 3 Goodyears and 1 Firestone when I got it. Discount Tire wouldn't move the Firestone to the aluminum wheels when I got those (too old, and dry rotting), so I ended up with a new Kumho.
One of the Goodyears was just about to the wear bars, and I suspected a vibration the truck had was coming from that tire, so I replaced it with another Kumho. Happily, that did take care of the vibration, and now I have matched pairs on each axle. Now I'm sitting waiting while it gets state inspection.
They're called the blazecut, and around $200. Worth it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geirskogul posted:

They're called the blazecut, and around $200. Worth it.

Sweet, thanks. I'll check them out.

The Jeep passed inspection and emissions with flying colors. Numbers are great, particularly considering almost 243K miles on the original engine.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got the old engine out of the nova and removed all the steering linkage for replacement.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Installed a sun visor on my explorer sport a few weeks ago, finally hooked up the lights today. Plastdipped it black too since it didn't match my paint.

Beep beep I am a trucker now where do I put the diesel fuel?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

Cage posted:

Installed a sun visor on my explorer sport a few weeks ago, finally hooked up the lights today. Plastdipped it black too since it didn't match my paint.

Wanna find me a '96 compatible grille? They're all busted up here- or retarded expensive. Its a Bauer, but I don't really care if it is greysilver or black. I am going to have to replace the turn signal switch- I pulled and cleaned the bulbs- now the Hazard works, but left is still intermitten (you can literally hear it shorting out every few uses as it arcs). Not looking forward to pulling the steering column stuff.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I curb rashed my right front wheel. Parallel parking a 5mt in tight spots on hills 99% of the time takes its toll. Thankfully I took a dremel, sand paper, and steel wool to the lip and hid the damage fairly well. Probably won't be the last time. loving San Francisco.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Camo Guitar posted:

Finally swapped out the speakers in my Stagea. Previous owners had installed a $10 set in the rear doors and taken one look at the factory ones in the front before deciding that ten minutes of cutting and drilling was way too much work and promptly left them alone.

Things are sounding almost like they should, hoorar!

What year Stagea? I ask because my four door Skyline doesn't have rear-door speakers but does have them in the 'parcel tray'. I've replaced the ones in the parcel tray a few a years ago and it was surprisingly easy but gently caress the front doors. They should keep gold in there they are so hard to open.

Today I floundered like an idiot when the upper radiator hose I ordered turned out to be wrong. They don't make one for the RB25 so they just sent me the one for the RB26 but that poo poo don't fit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shogunner posted:

I curb rashed my right front wheel. Parallel parking a 5mt in tight spots on hills 99% of the time takes its toll. Thankfully I took a dremel, sand paper, and steel wool to the lip and hid the damage fairly well. Probably won't be the last time. loving San Francisco.

If you're worried you could plasti-dip your wheels. I curbed one and the dip took the brunt of the damage.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Viggen posted:

Wanna find me a '96 compatible grille? They're all busted up here- or retarded expensive. Its a Bauer, but I don't really care if it is greysilver or black. I am going to have to replace the turn signal switch- I pulled and cleaned the bulbs- now the Hazard works, but left is still intermitten (you can literally hear it shorting out every few uses as it arcs). Not looking forward to pulling the steering column stuff.
Whats wrong with the ones on rockauto for $25-$30? Dont forget you can also look for mercury mountaineer grilles, they're basically the same truck.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cage posted:

Whats wrong with the ones on rockauto for $25-$30? Dont forget you can also look for mercury mountaineer grilles, they're basically the same truck.

Shipping. Yeah, I know. I dig the in-center-console display for realtime MPG and the overall average. I refer to it as "SIDlite". Here comes a 4% grade! Time to toggle the flashers. Oooh, its downhill now. WHEEE!

I hate my gutless Ford. I love my gutless Ford. :suicide:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Viggen posted:

Shipping. Yeah, I know. I dig the in-center-console display for realtime MPG and the overall average. I refer to it as "SIDlite". Here comes a 4% grade! Time to toggle the flashers. Oooh, its downhill now. WHEEE!

I hate my gutless Ford. I love my gutless Ford. :suicide:

Ford? I must have missed something. What are you driving these days?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

He picked up an Explorer for pretty cheap. I think it was originally intended as a flip, but wound up becoming his DD? Either way, he's into it for pretty cheap.

Anyway. My own ride: flat tire yesterday morning. Expected it, I knew it had a nail in it on Friday, and told my boss to expect me to call in yesterday if it didn't hold air. Sure enough, it was flat yesterday morning. My spare is pretty much shot, but I started trying to throw it on, then realized my lug wrench is missing. Looked for a lug wrench from mom's car (same size lug nuts), hers is also missing. Tried my own socket set, and almost turned the ratchet into a pretzel. The socket was also trying to split. I'm not about to deliver on a spare; I've tried it before, and even getting up to 30 mph is sketchy as poo poo with the 11" donut on my car. I ripped the trunk and interior apart, and I still couldn't find the drat lug wrench. Not about to hit Wal-Mart before 11pm at this time of year and they would have charged to patch it.

Took a trip to 3 Wal-Marts to finally find two lug wrenches. Then realized I forgot my Walmart store credit card at home (which is paid off), so I had to get only the lug wrench and one xmas present.

So in a few hours, I'll swap the bald as poo poo used tire on and take it to Discount to get the (drat near new) tire patched. It's sad that I'm on a first name basis with almost everyone at the closest shop, this will make at least visit #9 (between flat repairs and new tires) this year alone.

Borrowed mom's Avalon for the Wal-Mart trips. I think I mentioned it has a bubble in one tire, figured I should check on the spare tire while I was out. Spare was completely flat... and it's the original full size, never used, so no surprise.. and oh hey, wait, it's a different size from what's on the car?? Looked at the door jamb sticker, and yup, it has the wrong size tires on the car. Explains why the tires look so odd on it, the sidewalls seem to bulge - it has 215/60R16 instead of 205/65R16. Stepdad was the last one to put tires on it; he was originally wanting to just find a matching set for the one tire he bought new for it, but now he suddenly wants to actually put a matching set of 4 on it. I've never seen him pay for a brand new set of tires in my life, he always buys used. Everything on it is the same size, but it has 3 Goodyear Vivas (2 of the same age, one is 6 months older) and a Douglas (2 years old going by DOT date). The 3 Goodyears are cracking pretty good, and one shows signs of tread separation, even though the DOT code puts it at under 4 years old.

The wider/shorter tires explain why it handles better than it used to, also explains the increased road noise. The tires look downright weird on it, the sidewalls bulge out so far from the wheel itself.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 22, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

blk posted:

Ford? I must have missed something. What are you driving these days?

:dawkins101: I.. I own two domestics now, too.

I have under $2k into a '97 C2500 (Silverado) w/ a 5.7 Vortec, and about the same in a '96 Explorer w/ the 4.0. :zombie:. Both run perfectly fine and only have minor issues to wrap up.

I finally got the title for the Chevy this last week, so once it warms up enough for me to sand, bondo, and rattlecan the dent remaining at the bottom of the driver door and maybe a little more work on the pry mark on the drivers' door, up for sale it goes (See below).

I was planning on selling the Ford by now, but someone literally hopped my fence and defaced both trucks a couple weeks ago. The one door on the Explorer is really hosed (but looks fine from 20ft+), so I'm contemplating replacing that before I resell it, since I'm replacing the turn signal stalk. It looks like it was smacked with a hammer, and then drug the length of it.

The Ford is not the DD. As slow as that 4.0 is, I'd die before I get anywhere.

The 2K SAAB is still the DD- but the blower motor is on its way out (not the resistor pack, the brushes are just shot)- it doesn't like to start until the ambient temp is at least 40+ degrees (which takes a hell of a lot of time when it is about 12 outside), and the Ford has the worlds most awesome heater. Otherwise I'd probably be driving the Chevy (other than the price of gas). I'm waiting on brushes right now to fix the SAAB. (Expected Delivery Day: Monday, December 22, 2014 :ohdear:)

Both chillin' in the dead back yard. Before, I was able to take care of it and had really nice looking grass. Oh well don't have to feel so bad about using it as storage.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got my flat fixed and tires rotated. Was half asleep when they walked in and announced "See Ann with the silver Scion" several times. Looked outside, saw my car. Got up, said "you mean the Saturn that belongs to Sean?". He corrected me and said no, the Scion tC that belongs to See Ann.. I told him to look at the big logo embossed in the back bumper, and said "you know how Sean Connery's name is pronounced, right?". He asked my last name, I confirmed it, then he looked at the invoice that said "2006 SATURN ION 16 INCH CPE". You could actually see his brain just shut down completely at the realization of how far off he was on both the car and how to pronounce my name. Sean/Shawn/Shaun isn't the most common name, but this dude was pushing 30 and couldn't pronounce it.

Also lost another door trim panel, this time on the driver's side. Noticed it flapping in the wind in the mirror, so I pulled over and removed it before it decided to take flight on its own. It was firmly attached before, so I'm not sure if it got snagged on their sleeve when they closed the door, or if it just broke off like the one on the other side.

At least they're still available brand new, for less than what junkyards want. It's 1 screw and a bit of prying of weatherstripping to install.

Also noticed some pretty decent scratches in one of the wheels around the lugnuts that were definitely not there before, and mild gouging of the openings for the lugnuts. This store is the only one that's touched the tires/wheels on this car in the past year. Scratches are deep enough to catch a fingernail. Also an odd deep gouge in one of the spokes (near the top of the photo) that wasn't there before. My wheels weren't perfect, but they were drat close. I've emailed Discount to see what they'll do.

e: holy poo poo, after looking at that photo it looks like one bolt isn't even tight. just confirmed, it's just barely on.
e2: goddamnit, all 4 wheels have similar damage. You've gotta be loving kidding me :fuckoff:
e3: the boot print is a nice touch.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Viggen posted:

The Ford is not the DD. As slow as that 4.0 is, I'd die before I get anywhere.
You must have the OHV because otherwise I dont know what this means. My gas pedal sometimes sticks when I want to get going, if Im not careful Ill chirp the tires.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

some texas redneck posted:

e: holy poo poo, after looking at that photo it looks like one bolt isn't even tight. just confirmed, it's just barely on.
e2: goddamnit, all 4 wheels have similar damage. You've gotta be loving kidding me :fuckoff:
e3: the boot print is a nice touch.

Time to contact the owners of the shop. Offer to let them fix it for you before you contact all of the local media. They like that. :q:

Cage posted:

You must have the OHV because otherwise I dont know what this means. My gas pedal sometimes sticks when I want to get going, if Im not careful Ill chirp the tires.

That I do.

Since replacing the ignition coil, spark wires, plugs, and a new fuel filter I can get it to scream all the way up to 3,000 RPM uphill (when floored)- that'll keep it at 65+climbing (slowly). It barely broke wind before (drove it home at bout 45mph on the highway). It'll sustain quite well, just not uphill at 7% grade.

I call it "Grandpa". All of the comforts, and none of the speed. Still, not a bad tradeoff for the eventual owner since it does 18-20mpg in town easily.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Time to contact the owners of the shop. Offer to let them fix it for you before you contact all of the local media. They like that. :q:

Corporate owned. I called the store, they asked me to bring it in "at my convenience" and we could figure out what to do. Emailed corporate the above photo afterwards.

The other wheels have very minor damage (lug nut openings are rounded out a bit, but no clearcoat damage), but it's obvious someone was too busy talking to a coworker when trying to line up the rattlegun or torque stick.

They weren't happy to hear that it left with 3 tight bolts and 1 finger tight at all. The guy who worked on it was the same one who kept insisting it belonged to See Ann and that it was a Scion tC. Maybe if you're reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly high and drunk, it might resemble a 1st gen tC if you're seeing double and need glasses badly, but for fucks sake he was looking at the invoice at the time, which has "SATURN ION CPE 16 INCH" printed at the top.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Worked on replacing the motor mounts and only got the easiest to reach mount done in 3-4 hours :shepface: . The rubber of the old mount feels hard as a rock compared to the new one, I couldn't get it to flex at all by hand. The stupid loving nuts that attach the mount to the motor fought me the entire way. When I tried loosening them it instead unscrewed the studs from the motor, and I had to slowly unscrew the nuts from the studs. There's some noticeable improvement already with just that one mount replaced. The car doesn't vibrate and rattle at idle now, and I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it feels after I get the other mounts swapped out.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Got my flat fixed and tires rotated. Was half asleep when they walked in and announced "See Ann with the silver Scion" several times. Looked outside, saw my car. Got up, said "you mean the Saturn that belongs to Sean?". He corrected me and said no, the Scion tC that belongs to See Ann.. I told him to look at the big logo embossed in the back bumper, and said "you know how Sean Connery's name is pronounced, right?". He asked my last name, I confirmed it, then he looked at the invoice that said "2006 SATURN ION 16 INCH CPE". You could actually see his brain just shut down completely at the realization of how far off he was on both the car and how to pronounce my name. Sean/Shawn/Shaun isn't the most common name, but this dude was pushing 30 and couldn't pronounce it.

I feel your pain, fellow Sean.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Got the lumber rack sanded, primed and painted. I coated the base with bedliner, and plan on doing the same to the cross bars that things are strapped down onto. It was pretty rusty before all this. I'd also like to get wire mesh welded onto the bottom of the front loop so it could act as a roof rack. It'd be nice to do the same to the part across the back of the cab to act as a headache rack.

The lumber rack came with my truck when I bought it. It's pretty nice to be able to turn my truck into an adventure mobile that can hold a couple dirt bikes and strap kayaks or whatever else on top.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 28, 2018

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

tobu posted:

What year Stagea? I ask because my four door Skyline doesn't have rear-door speakers but does have them in the 'parcel tray'. I've replaced the ones in the parcel tray a few a years ago and it was surprisingly easy but gently caress the front doors. They should keep gold in there they are so hard to open.

2000 c34. Front door trim has about 2 x the screws the other door has.

Today I attempted to swap over a failed o2 sensor. It did not go well. There's not much room in there and my tool collection is limited at best. Off to the father in laws tomorrow then..

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The 22RE in my 1986 Toyota blew the head gasket today at 148k. How is that even possible? Buying a head gasket kit and trying to get it done tomorrow.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Installed new Splits in the front doors.

Cursed the idiot who installed the old splits by cutting holes in the door trim - not every tweeter is the same size you loving dickhead!

next on the list is to find some replacement door cards and then surface mount the splits using supplied cups somewhere on the dash.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Got Big Red washed and compounded the paint to get rid of a ton of little scratches. Shes going away for the winter soon. Ran out of time for waxing but that will be next.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Painted windshield wiper arms so that the sun's reflection won't set fire to my retinas. Also, replaced hood struts so that car won't eat me when I'm checking fluid levels and such.

Tomorrow, I replace the busted headlight and side marker light that a co-worker backed into.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 27, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Painted windshield wiper arms so that the sun's reflection won't set fire to my retinas. Also, replaced hood struts so that car won't eat me when I'm checking fluid levels and such.

It better be Rustoleum BBQ Black.. :colbert:

I've literally got a blower motor torn apart on my kitchen table. It should/was going into the SAAB today- but being that I have one whole hour of sunlight left- I kind of doubt that is going to happen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Viggen posted:

It better be Rustoleum BBQ Black.. :colbert:

Close. I used Flat Black.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Close. I used Flat Black.

Only the "High Temp Ultra" is glossy. The "High Temp" itself is flat. Flat looks better, too. Glossy wiper arms just look "off".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

Got Big Red washed and compounded the paint to get rid of a ton of little scratches. Shes going away for the winter soon. Ran out of time for waxing but that will be next.

Holy crap what year is that thing? It's so minty.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Motronic posted:

Holy crap what year is that thing? It's so minty.

Its a 97. I mostly only use it for work so it doesnt get many miles on it.. My great uncle bought it new and it only had 12k on it in 2009 when I took over the business. I like to keep it nice because its a base model V6 with a 5 speed and no options and the older it gets while staying nice the funnier it is. It didn't even come with a radio, the dealer had to put one in.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Fart Pipe posted:

Its a 97. I mostly only use it for work so it doesnt get many miles on it.. My great uncle bought it new and it only had 12k on it in 2009 when I took over the business. I like to keep it nice because its a base model V6 with a 5 speed and no options and the older it gets while staying nice the funnier it is. It didn't even come with a radio, the dealer had to put one in.

I remeber going with Dad to buy a new truck several times in the 90's. When he told them he wanted a barebones model, he got just that. No radio or carpet and crank windows. Even contractor trucks come with carpet and a radio now don't they?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

I remeber going with Dad to buy a new truck several times in the 90's. When he told them he wanted a barebones model, he got just that. No radio or carpet and crank windows. Even contractor trucks come with carpet and a radio now don't they?

carpet no, radio, yes. Even the most basic f-150 has a 4.2" color lcd on the radio now. Cruise control is still part of a $2,000 package though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Replaced the headlight and side marker light. It cost $52 for the lights and took me 20 minutes to swap out. I wonder what it would have cost if I had taken it to a garage (I figure at least triple the price for the parts and an hour of labor)?

Of course, now I'll need to replace the other side, because:

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 28, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Replaced the headlight and side marker light. It cost $52 for the lights and took me 20 minutes to swap out. I wonder what it would have cost if I had taken it to a garage?

Of course, now I'll need to replace the other side, because:

That'll polish out (the headlight at least, I'm not sure how you feel about having your markers in different stages of amber tint fading). That's not even bad enough for a kit, just get the compound or use toothpaste. Or if you're lazy go to a detailer, one headlight/marker polish job shouldn't cost more than $20

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

I guess when he was looking for this truck it was hard to find a complete stripper. The dealer found one in NY state somewhere and brought it here. Yea it doesnt even have carpet, haha. Im surprised it came in the nice red that it is instead of just white with a barcode on the side.