Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sh4 posted:

Please someone tell me what this icon on the map means, I've been searching for an hour :

Your free preorder Eagle ship is parked there. Check the system map, same icon should be right next to a station, go there and you will see your ship. Otherwise, in Shipyard, go to "ship locations" and it'll tell you exactly where your other ships are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

Dr. Memory posted:

Hey, hyperspace, you're looking different today!

New hairstyle?

Your graphics cards memory is likely overheating, corrupting texture data as you can see.
Grab a can of compressed air and clean it out before the heat kills your card.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay so I'm seriously considering trying this google cardboard vr setup as a cheap alternative to an oculus rift. Anyone had any experience with this?

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/VR-HMD-gogle-configuration---google-cardboard,-colorcross,-opendive

Well i gave it a shot and it definitely works. The limiting factor is the video stream to the phone though. It adds a major delay. The headtracking works fine but its not playable with the delay the streaming software causes. Maybe theres a way to speed this up but the app i'veused (Splashtop) couldn't deal with the phone being in airplane mode cause it wanted to login online and then it streamed the video by wifi which is just to slow.
I might gently caress around with it a bit more though. Or maybe ill just strap the phone to my head and skip the cardboard part...

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

ManicJason posted:

You have a ship parked there. That or the map is slightly bugged and just thinks that you have a ship there. People have been seeing bugs with that icon for a week or so.

Thanks, I certainly don't have a ship there, it's been driving me crazy I thought I had a mission or something there for hours

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

Your free preorder Eagle ship is parked there. Check the system map, same icon should be right next to a station, go there and you will see your ship. Otherwise, in Shipyard, go to "ship locations" and it'll tell you exactly where your other ships are.

Well I'm pretty sure that the stations in this system don't even have a shipyard and I have not preordered

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Maybe it lets you play Elite 1? :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Sh4 posted:

Well I'm pretty sure that the stations in this system don't even have a shipyard and I have not preordered

Do you have a secondary ship stored somewhere? And I mean anywhere. The display on the galactic map seems to be bugged for that, and it will show the ship as being docked in loving random-rear end places. That icon is supposed to be showing you where you have a ship stored, but it's bugged and lying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Is there a way to pick which star I jump to when going into hyperspace? Some of these along my route to Jotunheim are dense fuckers and I don't want to get sucked in.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

Dr. Memory posted:

Hey, hyperspace, you're looking different today!

Here's my previous contribution! (warning, 5MB GIF)

http://i.imgur.com/oP60tvO.gif

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Nothing like the rush of saying gently caress it and betting 17 million on a Type-7 and not even be close to be able to buy it back until I do 6 or 7 more trade runs. That's how you do real trading :clint:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to pick which star I jump to when going into hyperspace? Some of these along my route to Jotunheim are dense fuckers and I don't want to get sucked in.

Nope - it sends you to the most massive one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Well poo poo. Is there a way to determine if a sun's mass exceeds your ability to break away? :ohdear: Or is that what the little red text about mass next to systems in the nav menu is telling me?

I've gotten knocked out of supercruise a lot lately and I'm nervous :(

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Capn Beeb posted:

Well poo poo. Is there a way to determine if a sun's mass exceeds your ability to break away? :ohdear: Or is that what the little red text about mass next to systems in the nav menu is telling me?

It's telling you that your ship is too massive/your FSD too weak to make the jump from your current location.

The systems shown on the nav screen make little sense. If you have a weak FSD, it frequently lists systems that you cannot reach. If you have a strong FSD, it refuses to show any more than 20 LY away (unless it is explicitly part of your route.)

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Chompers posted:

Your graphics cards memory is likely overheating, corrupting texture data as you can see.
Grab a can of compressed air and clean it out before the heat kills your card.

:eyepop:

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Do you have a secondary ship stored somewhere? And I mean anywhere. The display on the galactic map seems to be bugged for that, and it will show the ship as being docked in loving random-rear end places. That icon is supposed to be showing you where you have a ship stored, but it's bugged and lying.

Yes I have a ship stored somewhere but pretty far from there, must be it also I downloaded the manual just for this icon and they don't talk about it anywhere :golfclap:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Capn Beeb posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I've only gotten pulled out of supercruise immediately after jumping in a grand total of once. I think you either just got unlucky there or aren't throttling down/pulling away quick enough after you jump in.

ManicJason posted:

If you have a strong FSD, it refuses to show any more than 20 LY away (unless it is explicitly part of your route.)
There's just a limit to the number of objects in the list. I've seen it cut off at 14ly in a few places. I'm pretty sure it will show stuff further out than 20ly if there's enough room, but there's a lot of stars out there and the number of possible jump targets within 20ly will almost always outstrip the length limit for the list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Capn Beeb posted:

I don't know if this will help you, but when you drop out of hyperspace you may have noticed you're always either a bit above or a bit below the star. Try to move your stick into the shortest direction away from the sun when dropping out of hyperspace and you should have no problem even avoiding the most massive mother fuckers.

Also remember when using the fuel scoop: First drop your throttle to zero, then adjust your speed to get slowly closer to the surface of the sun. This will help you stay at a safte distance. Uh and don't go above 100% heat when fuel scooping. Even if you think your ship can take it, it just takes one dirty bastard to pull you out of supercruise and bad things can happen.

At one time I forgot about this and nearly died because my ship went to 200% heat even after everything was over -I had just gotten that close to the sun, I couldn't bleed off enough heat even in normal space after the emergency drop. (I evaded that interdiction but nearly rammed the star afterwards. Because I'm smart. :shepface:)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Helter Skelter posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I've only gotten pulled out of supercruise immediately after jumping in a grand total of once. I think you either just got unlucky there or aren't throttling down/pulling away quick enough after you jump in.

PSA: You can zero your throttle (bound to X by default) after the FSD is charged but before you jump (during the countdown basically); it won't update your throttle setting but when you drop into the target system you will be at minimum supercruise speed (30km/sec).

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Last few runs to Anarchy RESs have been met with Pirate faction System Security on patrol. They even got Federal Condors somehow.

Any beta players with the Sol permit found that the Federal Invitation to Sol has blocked further rank missions? The mission can't be accepted.

I grinded rep up to Allied with 'The Sublime Order of Van Mannens' Star' hoping to get a bunch of system permits. Their home system is at Civil War and filled with conflict zones - in which all the ships just fly in circles and no one shoots. Weird.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 26, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

I was playing around with the navigation map with economical vs fastest. I don't know the numbers but it uses a lot less fuel jumping 3 ly 3 times vs 9 ly once, thus increasing your max distance travelable on a single tank.

I wonder if increasing FSD to a higher spec / reducing weight to increase max jump distance would also increase fuel efficiency.

Jumping 3ly out of a max of 10 vs 3 ly out of a max of 15 for eg.

According to the game manual:

quote:

Note that the amount of fuel used in a hyperspace jump is not a linear equation. As the jump distance increase, the fuel costs increase exponentially.

Also note that each frame shift drive has a maximum single jump range. Regardless of how much fuel your ship carries in its main tank, each individual hyperspace jump you make cannot exceed the maximum jump range of your frame shift drive module.

As an example, if a 1 LY jump uses 2 fuel and it squares every additional LY and you want to make a 4 LY jump, doing it in one jump takes 16 fuel, doing it in 2x 2LY jumps takes 8 fuel. No idea what the actual formula they use is.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 26, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

ManicJason posted:

It's telling you that your ship is too massive/your FSD too weak to make the jump from your current location.

The systems shown on the nav screen make little sense. If you have a weak FSD, it frequently lists systems that you cannot reach. If you have a strong FSD, it refuses to show any more than 20 LY away (unless it is explicitly part of your route.)

That's just silly, but oh well.

Libluini posted:

I don't know if this will help you, but when you drop out of hyperspace you may have noticed you're always either a bit above or a bit below the star. Try to move your stick into the shortest direction away from the sun when dropping out of hyperspace and you should have no problem even avoiding the most massive mother fuckers.

Also remember when using the fuel scoop: First drop your throttle to zero, then adjust your speed to get slowly closer to the surface of the sun. This will help you stay at a safte distance. Uh and don't go above 100% heat when fuel scooping. Even if you think your ship can take it, it just takes one dirty bastard to pull you out of supercruise and bad things can happen.

At one time I forgot about this and nearly died because my ship went to 200% heat even after everything was over -I had just gotten that close to the sun, I couldn't bleed off enough heat even in normal space after the emergency drop. (I evaded that interdiction but nearly rammed the star afterwards. Because I'm smart. :shepface:)

These are good tips, thanks :toot: Just to be clear, I jump to the biggest star by mass, yeah?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
An easier way to explore using parallax: use a ship with good visibility, such as the Eagle; pick a direction and start flying, then look left or right. Anything in the system will almost certainly start moving fast enough that you can easily spot it and know there's something out in that direction.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Libluini posted:

I never evade interdiction, even if I've forsaken my shields in favor of cargo capacity and don't want to be interdicted. Why?

Well, if you willingly submit, your FSD recharges in just a few seconds, allowing a near-instant escape jump once you drop to normal space. The guy who interdicted you still has to wait out the full duration of the emergency drop cooldown. If you try to evade and fail, you're stuck in the same situation. Even if you evade and succeed, that often takes longer than just submitting and jumping back out.

It's also just really funny when you're in an Asp packing six seeker missile racks for shits and giggles and then get interdicted by some chump in a Sidewinder.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Does anybody know where near Zeesszeyou can buy Adders? I have 160k spacebux saved up from rare runs in a Sidewinder but nothing here will sell me anything but Type 9s. :negative:

I think Altair has them.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Do anarchy systems ever have outposts in them? And are they always considered "low-pop" systems?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alright guys, my brother and I are struggling to find pirates. We've been at it for over and hour and we've only managed to kill one. It's quite frustrating.

We flew out to Eravate 10, which is a ringed planet looking for RES's, but never saw a single one show up. We did get constant USS's with lovely lone transports, garbage loot like Toxic Waste, and random rear end clean NPC ships though! Are we just having a string of bad luck or are we doing it wrong?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Man, three player interdictions as my succulent pooptrader wended its way into Bloch Station, Ethgreze. Anyone who says the game is dull can gently caress right off.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

I never evade interdiction, even if I've forsaken my shields in favor of cargo capacity and don't want to be interdicted. Why?

Well, if you willingly submit, your FSD recharges in just a few seconds, allowing a near-instant escape jump once you drop to normal space. The guy who interdicted you still has to wait out the full duration of the emergency drop cooldown. If you try to evade and fail, you're stuck in the same situation. Even if you evade and succeed, that often takes longer than just submitting and jumping back out.

It's also just really funny when you're in an Asp packing six seeker missile racks for shits and giggles and then get interdicted by some chump in a Sidewinder.

The only problem with this is that getting pulled out of supercruises gives you ~5% hull damage, and most of the time the bounty is going to be way less than your repair cost for an Asp (nevermind anything larger).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Siets posted:

Alright guys, my brother and I are struggling to find pirates. We've been at it for over and hour and we've only managed to kill one. It's quite frustrating.

We flew out to Eravate 10, which is a ringed planet looking for RES's, but never saw a single one show up. We did get constant USS's with lovely lone transports, garbage loot like Toxic Waste, and random rear end clean NPC ships though! Are we just having a string of bad luck or are we doing it wrong?

Those missions really suck. Avoid them at all cost. But you want to kill people who are associated with a pirate group, not necessarily "wanted" people. So look into your right panel for all the factions of a system, and find one whose government type is "unfettered". Those are the people you want to kill, and it doesn't matter if they are clean or not.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

fezball posted:

The only problem with this is that getting pulled out of supercruises gives you ~5% hull damage,

doesn't apply to submitting to interdiction

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I did some exploration today and I wasn't impressed much with the returns.

Fully scanning systems with a dozen or more objects and a the Detailed Scanner upgrade only netted me ~15k. I could make the same amount in a quarter the time helping cops pop rats in a RES site.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Do anarchy systems ever have outposts in them? And are they always considered "low-pop" systems?

Yes and no. It varies a lot. I've encountered anarchies with billions of people living in them, followed by anarchies with just a thousand people in them. And the systems aren't even necessarily governed by anarchies, if some communists are sitting in their lonely little unsanctioned outpost, they're still not enough to impose some sort of government over the entire system. So the system stays an "anarchy system" in those cases. Case in point: My home system is an outpost system of the Alliance. It has 1057 people living in it, which is apparently not enough to even spawn a single system authority vessel. For all practical purposes, this system is an anarchy system. Also, the population consists of anarchists which isn't helping much, I gather. :v:

More orderly systems tend to send their police vessels into empty systems close by I've noticed. (Or make them spawn over there, which is essentially the same from a game play standpoint.) So if you're sitting in a newly discovered system with nothing in it, it will be an anarchy system but this won't stop the man from showing up if enough properly protected systems are in the vicinity.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Libluini posted:

More orderly systems tend to send their police vessels into empty systems close by I've noticed. (Or make them spawn over there, which is essentially the same from a game play standpoint.) So if you're sitting in a newly discovered system with nothing in it, it will be an anarchy system but this won't stop the man from showing up if enough properly protected systems are in the vicinity.

Are you sure about this, I am nearly certain this simply isn't true. If you are in an anarchy system you can never be "wanted". Wanted is definied as being wanted by the ruling faction of a system. If you want to know more you need a KW scanner and no system authority vessels ever have KW scanners only cargo scanners.

I could be wrong here though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

fezball posted:

The only problem with this is that getting pulled out of supercruises gives you ~5% hull damage, and most of the time the bounty is going to be way less than your repair cost for an Asp (nevermind anything larger).

I've never taken hull damage submitting to an interdiction. I think the only time an interdiction has hurt me is when I got somebody who tried to break away and it failed. You'll know when it happens because your ship leaves supercruise and starts spinning wildly as you decelerate. I assume that's also what happens when you do an emergency stop while going too fast in supercruise, but I've never done that before.

Siets posted:

I don't know what kind of system Eravate is, but if its an Anarchy system, nobody will show up as Wanted. You'll probably have to scan them with the bounty detecting module to find out if they are. If you're hunting pirates, a very easy way to know if they're pirate is if they scan your ship and say something in comms like "I wonder what you're carrying" or something to that effect. Those guys are most definitely pirates.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Are you sure about this, I am nearly certain this simply isn't true. If you are in an anarchy system you can never be "wanted". Wanted is definied as being wanted by the ruling faction of a system. If you want to know more you need a KW scanner and no system authority vessels ever have KW scanners only cargo scanners.

I could be wrong here though.

I've encountered system authority vessels in empty systems, so it is definitely true. Caveat: I never got close enough to them to see if they do anything. I guess if a faction closeby is spawning them as some sort of scouts or something, you could theoretically test if they do anything by getting wanted by factions around that empty system and then go back and wait for another police ship to turn up. Sounds like a collossal waste of time for something so rare, though.

Since I'm clean as gently caress, I'll try to get close to one if I see it happen again, just to see which faction that ship belongs to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Why is it that after a while of bounty hunting at a given point, system security will eventually turn on you even though you aren't wanted and haven't hit anyone who wasn't wanted?

Pictured: some rear end in a top hat I found while bounty hunting.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

fezball posted:

You don't take any damage if you submit.

And repair costs in the Asp are generally pretty reasonable (relatively speaking), at least if you're using the default hull material and not something silly like military grade alloys. I knocked myself down to 38% yesterday ramming a Cobra and it was only about 140k to repair (which should be pocket change by the time you're in an Asp).

And if I'm hauling and have no shields, a couple grand to repair a potential few percent hull damage from getting shot at while running away is well worth avoiding the guaranteed damage and lost time from failing to evade (or even just the lost time if the evasion is successful).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Libluini posted:

I've encountered system authority vessels in empty systems, so it is definitely true. Caveat: I never got close enough to them to see if they do anything. I guess if a faction closeby is spawning them as some sort of scouts or something, you could theoretically test if they do anything by getting wanted by factions around that empty system and then go back and wait for another police ship to turn up. Sounds like a collossal waste of time for something so rare, though.

Since I'm clean as gently caress, I'll try to get close to one if I see it happen again, just to see which faction that ship belongs to.

Are you sure they are system security vessels and not just... eagles or vipers?

Also are you sure the system is considered anarchy and not just a single outpost within a non-anarchy system (which can happen). If you are say yes to both of those then maybe they really do spawn, but I can't imagine they'd do anything.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I've had system security vessels spawn in empty systems. It was at a USS when I was scooping prototype tech. It jumped in and tried to scan me but I bugged out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

You don't take any damage if you submit.

And repair costs in the Asp are generally pretty reasonable (relatively speaking), at least if you're using the default hull material and not something silly like military grade alloys. I knocked myself down to 38% yesterday ramming a Cobra and it was only about 140k to repair (which should be pocket change by the time you're in an Asp).

And if I'm hauling and have no shields, a couple grand to repair a potential few percent hull damage from getting shot at while running away is well worth avoiding the guaranteed damage and lost time from failing to evade (or even just the lost time if the evasion is successful).

Yeah, guess I got a failed escape and submission mixed up, could've sworn I got hurt from one of those :shrug:

One tip for all the Asp haulers out there though: you don't really need to sacrifice that much cargo space to still run shielded - a grade A or B class 3 shield actually will work on an Asp, and only costs you an 8 ton cargo rack. It's also cheap, relatively light and uses little power, so you can fit it quite easily on a stripped Asp. Well worth it if you want to do some occasional bounty hunting or rough parking without having to do major refitting.

• Locked thread