Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Gazaar posted:

All goons are the same pubbies they love to despise. RIP.

In every game with a chat program of any kind Goons inevitably find the people who are masturbating while playing and harass the ever loving poo poo out of them.

From brony servers in TF2 to the people programming fuckable horses in Second Life to Goldshire Inn and the local cantina on Deep Space 9 goons tirelessly pursue those who might have a hand in their pants. Even the AFK miners in EVE who are masturbating to something other than the game they're playing while logged in, goons inevitably and viciously pursue anyone who might possibly be masturbating while playing a game they love. We are the masturbation police, essentially. And by not masturbating we manage to play the game slightly better than those who are masturbating and thus make them angry enough that they have to stop masturbating.

Forcing strangers to stop masturbating on the internet is such a popular activity that we've got a griefing thread that's like a couple hundred pages long with all the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't have to go searching to find the guy masturbating while playing :smug:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Masturbating while playing DS2 puts me in a heightened state of awareness and I doubt I would have been able to make it through the double Pursuer fight without it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheSpiritFox posted:

Even the AFK miners in EVE who are masturbating to something other than the game they're playing while logged in
That's probably as close as it comes (lol) to winning EVE while still actually being logged in.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So turns out there's an inventory cap. I killed alonne while at said cap without realizing I didn't pick up his soul. Left the memory. Never got the soul.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

i've heard of something like that, but never encountered it despite having one of literally everything in my inventory, including dummied-out stuff.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So turns out there's an inventory cap. I killed alonne while at said cap without realizing I didn't pick up his soul. Left the memory. Never got the soul.

good thing cheat engine lets you change enemy drops to other things, so you can just spawn it that way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

i've heard of something like that, but never encountered it despite having one of literally everything in my inventory, including dummied-out stuff.

I farmed up one of everything ages ago and had a massive amount of cursed eye rings that somehow managed to fill my inventory. I don't even know where they come from.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

We're all pubbies to someone

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I go out of my way to play with goons and it's been a good choice every time. Except Archeage I guess.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Nuebot posted:

I farmed up one of everything ages ago and had a massive amount of cursed eye rings that somehow managed to fill my inventory. I don't even know where they come from.
There's a relative shitton of Evil Eye Rings you can pick up in the game, and some of them are in areas that are frequently ascetic'd for farming, like Dragon Aerie.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nahxela posted:

There's a relative shitton of Evil Eye Rings you can pick up in the game, and some of them are in areas that are frequently ascetic'd for farming, like Dragon Aerie.

Makes sense. I wonder if the game counts individual items in a stack for your inventory though, because I keep hitting the cap even though I delete stuff. Maybe it's because so much poo poo in my inventory is capped at 99? Next time I hit it I'm going to have to test.

EDIT: I really liked Ivory King right up until the end. The boss fight was fun but that grind for the 50 souls was poo poo. I'm not sure which of the DLCs I liked best, but iron king is definitely my least favorite.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2014

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
Do I have any chance of being invaded on my first run through the game? I'm up to the Iron Keep on a punchy fist character and I'd like to get the Vanquisher's Seal, but grinding the Grave of the Saints (or even just finding a second bonfire ascetic) sounds boring. I was hoping if I hanged out on the Iron Keep bridge while watching some TV I'd get someone, but at ~500K soul memory I'm getting nothing. Am I pretty much outta luck unless I go to NG+?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The only way you can't be invaded is to play offline. It's just very unlikely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

They kind of screwed over the invading covenents, and the PVP systems as a whole in 2. It was always kind of rare to get invaded unless you went to the bell towers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

The only way you can't be invaded is to play offline. It's just very unlikely.

You can also burn a human effigy which keeps you from being invaded for about half an hour. But it also turns off summoning.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ederick posted:

Do I have any chance of being invaded on my first run through the game? I'm up to the Iron Keep on a punchy fist character and I'd like to get the Vanquisher's Seal, but grinding the Grave of the Saints (or even just finding a second bonfire ascetic) sounds boring. I was hoping if I hanged out on the Iron Keep bridge while watching some TV I'd get someone, but at ~500K soul memory I'm getting nothing. Am I pretty much outta luck unless I go to NG+?

Actual invasions are rare at any level. The Soul Memory poo poo and the fact that every time you invade you have to use up a not-easy-to-acquire consumable pretty much takes care of that. This thread is full of good ideas on ways to fix that but From is sticking to its guns. Of course From sticking to its guns is what allowed us to have the souls series to begin with, so you can't just outright blame them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You can also burn a human effigy which keeps you from being invaded for about half an hour. But it also turns off summoning.

I completely forgot you could do that.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I don't think soul memory was ever the problem with lack of invasions. It's just that it's tied to a rare consumable. It wasn't an issue in dark souls 1 because you had infinite use invasion items, and while the red eye orb wasn't that easy to find, a ton of people still had it. And thanks to that, it made blue orb invasions a lot more likely as well.

I've never actually had difficulty *using* cracked red orbs in dark souls 2 (and I can't say the same about the first game), and it seemed to match me against people around the same level. That leads me to think soul memory was never the problem, it's just the lack of a reusable orb.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

EvilMike posted:

I don't think soul memory was ever the problem with lack of invasions. It's just that it's tied to a rare consumable. It wasn't an issue in dark souls 1 because you had infinite use invasion items, and while the red eye orb wasn't that easy to find, a ton of people still had it. And thanks to that, it made blue orb invasions a lot more likely as well.

I've never actually had difficulty *using* cracked red orbs in dark souls 2 (and I can't say the same about the first game), and it seemed to match me against people around the same level. That leads me to think soul memory was never the problem, it's just the lack of a reusable orb.

Soul Memory isn't the problem with a lack of invasions (which is the lack of a Red/Blue Orb's fault), it's the problem with all end-game PVP and the arenas being hideously homogenized and scummy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, people are around to invade, I get jumped instantly when walking into the bell tower. Maybe it's from the steam sale, but I couldn't have been much off 500k as I was there for the first time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, people are around to invade, I get jumped instantly when walking into the bell tower. Maybe it's from the steam sale, but I couldn't have been much off 500k as I was there for the first time.

That's funny because I have the Bell Tower Ring on all the time and I almost never get summoned.

Squat in the Bell Tower, you jerks! I need chunks. :argh:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's funny because I have the Bell Tower Ring on all the time and I almost never get summoned.

Squat in the Bell Tower, you jerks! I need chunks. :argh:

I was getting summoned fairly regularly at Luna a few days ago, sometimes with just seconds between them. Sol was a good bit slower. You realize you have to be in the Bastille or Iron Keep to get summoned right? You'll see the covenant icon on the hud glowing when you're in the right place with the ring on.

e: though sometimes yeah summons just kind of don't happen for a while. Who knows

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

see you tomorrow posted:

You realize you have to be in the Bastille or Iron Keep to get summoned right? You'll see the covenant icon on the hud glowing when you're in the right place with the ring on.

No you don't. I've been summoned from Majula before.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Makes sense. I wonder if the game counts individual items in a stack for your inventory though, because I keep hitting the cap even though I delete stuff. Maybe it's because so much poo poo in my inventory is capped at 99? Next time I hit it I'm going to have to test.
You can't have more then 99 of any individual item. If you have 99 lifegems and you try to pick up number 100, the game will complain that your inventory bag is full. The stupid thing is that when you try to loot something that gives multiple items, the game will throw that complaint at you even if you're full on just one of the items. So if you have 99 lifegems & 50 effigies and you try to pick up a lifegem + effigy loot, the game will prevent you from getting either of those two items while not giving you any hint about which item you've reached the cap on.
Also the cap for certain unique items is 1 instead of 99 (for instance the Ladder Miniature).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 28, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

No you don't. I've been summoned from Majula before.

Oh nevermind then. I took it off because it wasn't glowing when I was in the shaded woods so I assumed it was like that everywhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bhodi posted:

If you were there for the first time I doubt you had 500k SM.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pussy

Get off dark souls

The subject lines of two separate empty messages received from a bloodbro after I beat him in the arena by turning into a pot and stabbing him to death after he was dumb enough to get close. Classic :allears:

The moral of the story is don't chase pots.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The beauty of Dark Souls is that there are no cheap wins or cheap tactics. Just the ones you were smart enough to use.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I see this is 50% off on steam until January, is there anywhere else I could get it and all the DLC for cheaper? I live in Canada.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Corte posted:

I see this is 50% off on steam until January, is there anywhere else I could get it and all the DLC for cheaper? I live in Canada.

I recommend using http://www.isthereanydeal.com for inquiries of this nature, you can even set it up to email you when it goes on sale. Also, if you use Enhanced Steam, it will tell you where you can currently get it for the cheapest price. I managed to snag the season pass for Saints Row 4 for $1.25 doing this.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The beauty of Dark Souls is that there are no cheap wins or cheap tactics. Just the ones you were smart enough to use.

Yeah, got a message off another guy that thought it was nifty (if still gimmicky)

Also a "you're awesome" from some xanthous-wearing pyro-spamming arse after I ended our third consecutive encounter by casting immolation and repeatedly performing the warcry emote until I burned to death, because I have a mental block with the custard monstrosity and gently caress putting effort into a sure loss. :supaburn:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I recommend using http://www.isthereanydeal.com for inquiries of this nature, you can even set it up to email you when it goes on sale. Also, if you use Enhanced Steam, it will tell you where you can currently get it for the cheapest price. I managed to snag the season pass for Saints Row 4 for $1.25 doing this.
Wow this is a great site and extension, thanks for sharing it!

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
I've been feeling like a jackass because I've been farming souls off being summoned to the Pursuer fight, and I keep killing my hosts with the ballista on accident. If they are any of you I apologize.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I've been feeling like a jackass because I've been farming souls off being summoned to the Pursuer fight, and I keep killing my hosts with the ballista on accident. If they are any of you I apologize.

Do it on purpose instead and you won't feel that way.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I had a goofy rear end laggy match up earlier today against Ornstein

Here is the full video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KwN4cMruYM
Is this lag on my end or the Summoned's?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Looks like your phantom buddy desyncs a couple of minutes into the fight. That thing in your gif is totally normal though, all grab attacks can look glitchy if you get hit by the very edge of the attacks hitbox.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I had a goofy rear end laggy match up earlier today against Ornstein

You need to dodge attacks if you don't want to get hit by them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's what you get for trying to play "just the tip" with Ornstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is the server spotty for anybody else today?