Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Jedit posted:

No, that would be the episode of Misfits where a guy has a psychotic break and believes real life is a game of GTA, including first-person perspective shots showing him hallucinating the game's UI.

I thought that one was a case of "really crap superpower" like the community worker in ep1 who gets super-strength plus the urge to go on a rampage with a scythe-like chunk of metal.

Plus Misfits is a dark comedy that knows you're not meant to take it too seriously. Rather than a cop show that's supposed to be about drama and that people actually do try to apply to real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

Or where Innocent Guy is framed for a crime, and in the course of clearing his name he commits a whole shitload of actual crimes, and then at the end of the movie he proves he was framed for the one crime he didn't commit and he gets to go home. See _Shooter_, for example, where Marky Mark assaults a bunch of cops, wrecks a bunch of poo poo, and kills soldiers but then he gets to go home because he proves he didn't assassinate the guy he was wanted for assassinating in the first place.

Interestingly, the A-Team movie did it right - at the end the team are cleared of the crime they didn't commit, but promptly have to go on the run again to escape being jailed for the crimes they did commit in the process of clearing themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am reminded of Max Payne, the video game, not the movie. It does happen in the movie too sort of but it's hardly well-executed because the movie is horsegarbage. Max goes on a rampage and kills a bajillion and a half mobsters, blows his cover as a cop, and assassinates the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation by blowing up her helicopter with a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle. He manages to clear his name for the crime he was originally framed for (in the beginning of the story he is set up by the mobsters as an informant for them who killed his own partner even though neither of those things are true) and he avenges the death of his wife and child as well as blowing a drug conspiracy within the aforementioned company wide open... but he killed a bajillion and a half mobsters and assassinated the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation. He gets arrested and is absolutely certain he'll go to jail, but thanks to a contact of his pulling the strings behind the police, he is released and put back on the squad by the second game.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I am reminded of Max Payne, the video game, not the movie. It does happen in the movie too sort of but it's hardly well-executed because the movie is horsegarbage. Max goes on a rampage and kills a bajillion and a half mobsters, blows his cover as a cop, and assassinates the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation by blowing up her helicopter with a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle. He manages to clear his name for the crime he was originally framed for (in the beginning of the story he is set up by the mobsters as an informant for them who killed his own partner even though neither of those things are true) and he avenges the death of his wife and child as well as blowing a drug conspiracy within the aforementioned company wide open... but he killed a bajillion and a half mobsters and assassinated the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation. He gets arrested and is absolutely certain he'll go to jail, but thanks to a contact of his pulling the strings behind the police, he is released and put back on the squad by the second game.

Kinda like real life.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Jedit posted:

Interestingly, the A-Team movie did it right - at the end the team are cleared of the crime they didn't commit, but promptly have to go on the run again to escape being jailed for the crimes they did commit in the process of clearing themselves.

The A-Team movie was far better then it had any right to be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The entire pretense of the movie Double Jeopardy got the idea of how double jeopardy works completely wrong. That was not a TV show. This was a major release from a movie studio involving millions of dollars.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's only fair. Do one murder, serve one murder sentence. If you've already done the time you should have one murder in the bank.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
All the hubub over the Sony hack and the bumbling of the release of The Interview as a response reminds me that a scary number of people think that "we don't negotiate with terrorists" is actually based in real US foreign policy rather than a cheap way to generate drama in movies.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Not to worry, we negotiate with "terrorists" every day, and I'm not going into a political discussion about what state actors count as "terrorists." We've negotiated with terror groups from the beginning of the Republic.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Of course we negotiate with terrorists, we still have Republicans in the government. :can:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And by "negotiate" we mean fund, arm and train.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The entire pretense of the movie Double Jeopardy got the idea of how double jeopardy works completely wrong. That was not a TV show. This was a major release from a movie studio involving millions of dollars.
I can kinda forgive it, though, if you're sent to jail for murdering somebody, kinda doesn't make sense to get sent to jail again for murdering the exact same person you murdered in the first place... ok, now that I've typed it out, it still sounds stupid. But I can kinda see what they're getting at.

Now what isn't forgivable is spoiling pretty much the whole drat movie in the trailer.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy again for the first time since catching it in theaters, and there were a couple of moments that I think belong in this thread.

For instance, during the prison break, right before hulking out on the little flying drone guns Groot lets out his trademark dialogue "I am GROOT!" in this fierce, full mouthed roar. The shot is a close-up, and I couldn't help but thinking something looked weird about it. I finally realized why. Just say "Groot." What shape does your mouth make? The double "oo" forces you to purse your lips together, if you try to yell "Groot" with your mouth wide open it comes out as "I am Groaught" or something of the sort. I get from a cinematic standpoint why you would choose this (its hard to look tough making what essentially amounts to the sorority girl duck face), but it was enough to throw me a little bit.

Another thing that Guardians just kind of handwaves a lot of the time is how characters know things that, yes, we as the viewers know, but they would have no way of knowing. Like after Drax sends a call to Ronan letting him know that the Orb is in Knowhere, Quill, Rocket, and Gamora stumble out of the ruins of the Collector's HQ to find him laughing in the street, brandishing knives at Ronan's ships. Peter's instant question to Drax is "You CALLED him!?" How would that be your assumption? For all intents and purposes, you know that Ronan is looking for you, could find you at any minute, and that Drax is going to be excited at the prospect of killing him no matter the circumstances. But Peter can tell at a glance apparently, that drunken Drax has gone into a communications hut and threatened the operator to send a message directly to Ronan the mother loving Accuser.

I could go on but overall I still really enjoy that film, so I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Groot is a tree, man. Don't tell a tree how to talk, you're not a tree doctor.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just watched the last Hobbit movie and i'm really impressed with the communication systems and public transportation in Middle Earth.

Less than 24 hours after that stupid dragon fell from the sky we already had four armies near it's former lair.

I say public transportation because Legolas, on his lonesome, took nearly as much time to arrive and warn about the extra orc army as the army itself, proving that subway travel is much more pratical than highway travel.

And this is the sixth Middle Earth film where every problem could be solved by the eagles arriving earlier. They're basically Goku with wings, god bless their souls.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

Just watched Guardians of the Galaxy again for the first time since catching it in theaters, and there were a couple of moments that I think belong in this thread.

For instance, during the prison break, right before hulking out on the little flying drone guns Groot lets out his trademark dialogue "I am GROOT!" in this fierce, full mouthed roar. The shot is a close-up, and I couldn't help but thinking something looked weird about it. I finally realized why. Just say "Groot." What shape does your mouth make? The double "oo" forces you to purse your lips together, if you try to yell "Groot" with your mouth wide open it comes out as "I am Groaught" or something of the sort. I get from a cinematic standpoint why you would choose this (its hard to look tough making what essentially amounts to the sorority girl duck face), but it was enough to throw me a little bit.

Thank you, this bothered me too for reasons I didn't understand. I knew the lip sync was off in some way, but couldn't put my finger on how.

As to your second thing, maybe they didn't know the ships that Ronan used. So if Drax is that excited he knows exactly what's going on, and therefore who's on those ships. I'll have to rewatch that movie again to see if there's anything more that indicates how he knows it, because on my second watching of that film (when it came out on bluray), I finally realized how Quill's adopted parents found him so fast when he was floating in space without his helmet (the art dealer told him where he went, so they were on the way already).

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Groot pissed me off, but it's not the movie's fault. I'd only ever seen his name written down before, and didn't know it was pronounced "grew-t". My family's mostly Dutch, and "groot" is Dutch for "big", so before I saw the movie I was calling him "khhhr-oat" like an idiot. In my defence though, Groot is very big!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

IUG posted:

I finally realized how Quill's adopted parents found him so fast when he was floating in space without his helmet (the art dealer told him where he went, so they were on the way already).

They were actually already there. Right as they come out of The Collector's museum/collection area, Yondu is right there and yelling at Quill, but then Ronan shows up so it's easy to not notice he's there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

They were actually already there. Right as they come out of The Collector's museum/collection area, Yondu is right there and yelling at Quill, but then Ronan shows up so it's easy to not notice he's there.

I'm going to have to watch that again, as I've never noticed that the two times I've seen that scene then.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Mans posted:

And this is the sixth Middle Earth film where every problem could be solved by the eagles arriving earlier. They're basically Goku with wings, god bless their souls.

The Great Eagles are a deux ex machina device in the Tolkien universe though, that's the entire point. Instead of a chair on ropes lowered from heaven the Eagles turn up at the last minute to save Middle Earth and the heroes from evil. It's not even subtle, they literally pull the dwarfs out of the fire and fly away in the Hobbit.

Tolkien might not have fully fleshed out the idea in The Hobbit but he made it clear in his other writings that they were servants of the god Manwe and not just random eagles that piled into the fight because they didn't like the orcs. They were created by the angelic/godly Valar as guardians for all animal life in the same way the Ents were guardians of plants and trees and orcs are servants of darkness.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

The Great Eagles are a deux ex machina device in the Tolkien universe though, that's the entire point. Instead of a chair on ropes lowered from heaven the Eagles turn up at the last minute to save Middle Earth and the heroes from evil. It's not even subtle, they literally pull the dwarfs out of the fire and fly away in the Hobbit.

Tolkien might not have fully fleshed out the idea in The Hobbit but he made it clear in his other writings that they were servants of the god Manwe and not just random eagles that piled into the fight because they didn't like the orcs. They were created by the angelic/godly Valar as guardians for all animal life in the same way the Ents were guardians of plants and trees and orcs are servants of darkness.

Orcs are twisted Elves though, rather than being a separate creation. The Eagles lives aren't connected to Middle-Earth so they don't really give a poo poo what happens to it. They only help G-money out because he saved their king Gwaihir, rather than in an effort to help save the world. Furthermore :goonsay:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tolkien wasn't that great of a writer. He just wanted to make a cool elf language and made the story to justify it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

God drat that movie was stupid. With this movies logic you rob a bank, get arrested and go to jail. Then when you get out you rob the bank again for the rest of your life, since you can't be tried for the same crime twice!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

God drat that movie was stupid. With this movies logic you rob a bank, get arrested and go to jail. Then when you get out you rob the bank again for the rest of your life, since you can't be tried for the same crime twice!

When that movie came out and in some cases in the last year I've run into people who still think that's how double jeopardy works. For that reason alone I can't stand that otherwise forgettable thriller.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't the thing in that movie is that she goes to jail for killing her husband or something, but he's not actually dead? So it's like the court would have to say "yeah we are trying to you the same murder a second time" but yeah of course they would because obviously they were wrong the first time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Light Gun Man posted:

Wasn't the thing in that movie is that she goes to jail for killing her husband or something, but he's not actually dead? So it's like the court would have to say "yeah we are trying to you the same murder a second time" but yeah of course they would because obviously they were wrong the first time.
The double jeopardy thing is that you can't be tried twice for the same instance of crime. So if you're tried for killing your husband, in the conservatory with the revolver on christmas day 2014 and you're found not guilty, then you didn't do it in that place and at that time. If he turns out not to be dead and you kill him on new year's eve in the library with a lead pipe, well you haven't been tried for that poo poo, so buckle up.

I could be wrong of course, I'm not a lawyer. It'd be a hell of a way to get a conviction overturned though "I can't be guilty of murdering my husband in 2000 because here's a video of me bludgeoning him to death in 2014". :v:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pilchenstein posted:

So if you're tried for killing your husband, in the conservatory with the revolver on christmas day 2014 and you're found not guilty, then you didn't do it in that place and at that time. If he turns out not to be dead and you kill him on new year's eve in the library with a lead pipe, well you haven't been tried for that poo poo, so buckle up.

That's only true up to a certain point. If you're tried for killing your husband, and the prosecution says that you did it on christmas day 2014 at 9:53 PM with the lead pipe in the conservatory, and you're found not guilty, you can't later be tried for killing your husband on christmas day 2014 at 9:53 PM with the lead pipe in the billiard room and then dragging the body to the conservatory. The prosecution doesn't get a second chance every time they realize they got a minor detail wrong -- it's still the same instance of the same crime that is being investigated.

Here, of course, "the victim was still alive during the first trial" is not a minor detail. Clearly it's a new instance, since the second instance hadn't even happened at the time of the first trial, and you sure as hell can't be found not guilty of doing something in the future. But it's not as simple as "if the alleged time/date/motive/location change in any way we get to charge you again".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I have the worst loving attorneys...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In that movie, has she been convicted for the first non-murder? Would that count as "time served" in her second sentencing?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My irrationally irritating thing in movies is when characters are irrational about when they need something. There's always someone who says "when do you need this by" and the one in charge says "YESTERDAY" and storms off. That isn't helpful at all. If the deadline was in fact yesterday, how will you getting it now help? If it can still help, then there is in fact a new deadline when you really do need it by, so just say that.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You never heard people say that?

They're telling you they need that ASAP.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

My irrationally irritating thing in movies is when characters are irrational about when they need something. There's always someone who says "when do you need this by" and the one in charge says "YESTERDAY" and storms off. That isn't helpful at all. If the deadline was in fact yesterday, how will you getting it now help? If it can still help, then there is in fact a new deadline when you really do need it by, so just say that.

When you call your friend and ask how much more driving he has left, and he says "a million miles", he doesn't actually mean a literal million. It's a metaphor, a type of comparison without using "like" or "than" in it, but rather conveying the meaning through hyperbole or seemingly similar expressions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reminds me of how people never say goodbye to each other on the phone in movies or TV. They just, like, end on an open sentence or agreement and then hang up on each other. Like, Birdemic is the worst movie that exists and somehow it managed to get that right at least. And you could say "well movies aren't real life and people having conversations like a real conversation would be boring" but come on it's like 2 extra seconds and one more shot of each person.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Reminds me of how people never say goodbye to each other on the phone in movies or TV. They just, like, end on an open sentence or agreement and then hang up on each other. Like, Birdemic is the worst movie that exists and somehow it managed to get that right at least. And you could say "well movies aren't real life and people having conversations like a real conversation would be boring" but come on it's like 2 extra seconds and one more shot of each person.

I've heard of this irritation for years but it's never clicked for me. I can't unsee the teal and orange color scheme, and I can't unhear the wilhelm scream (and other stock sound variants) but I've never noticed anything wrong with phone conversations in movies.

This means I'm autistic, doesn't it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's why it's called an irrational irritation. :)

If this were the rationally irritating movie moments thread I would be complaining about the trope where someone desperately needs to get a call through but the other person has their phone on vibrate while they're asleep or something still existing today because what the hell that's dumb.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
"Sir, I think you'd better [see|hear|come look at] this..."

Just put it on screen, or on speakerphone, or just loving tell him what the problem is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CJacobs posted:

In my history of film class I seem to remember my teacher saying the reason no one usually says good bye in movies on the phone is because we are programmed to stop paying attention when we hear that and to add a sense of uninterruption (sp? Even a word?) to the movie. Probably total bullshit.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Probably cuts down on awkward phone call endings too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Vahakyla posted:

When you call your friend and ask how much more driving he has left, and he says "a million miles", he doesn't actually mean a literal million. It's a metaphor, a type of comparison without using "like" or "than" in it, but rather conveying the meaning through hyperbole or seemingly similar expressions.

I am aware of the definition of a metaphor, thanks. As someone else said, this isn't the "rationally irritating movie moments" thread.

I know that they really mean "as soon as possible", I just think it's a stupid way to say it. All I was saying is that when you're working on something, it is helpful to know when the deadline actually is, so you know when/if you need to start cutting corners to get it done in time.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaunab posted:

Probably cuts down on awkward phone call endings too.

It also saves time, which is at a premium.