Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Hoke had actually been on the hot seat going into this season after last year's regression. The fact that they got humiliated like 3 times in the first four weeks, and then the Morris Incident happening just expedited the process.

It's not like we were all super happy with the guy and flipped. Even the pro-est of Hoke guys could see the Harbaugh situation in SF and thought "well that's an obvious upgrade if things line up right."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

What was dumb? Part of the setup was contacting Harbaugh through his dad to find out if he was interested and what he needed to make the move. If Jim had said no, they would have moved on to someone else.

Do you honestly think they would have been doing all this without some assurance from Harbaugh himself that he would take the job?

Yes because Michigan football has done nearly everything wrong for close to a decade outside of hiring Mattison I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Neodoomium posted:

Hoke had actually been on the hot seat going into this season after last year's regression. The fact that they got humiliated like 3 times in the first four weeks, and then the Morris Incident happening just expedited the process.

It's not like we were all super happy with the guy and flipped. Even the pro-est of Hoke guys could see the Harbaugh situation in SF and thought "well that's an obvious upgrade if things line up right."

Oh I am not doubting you wanted to get rid of Hoke, just that you all got kind of a lucky break with the deterioration of the 49ers.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I am not doubting you wanted to get rid of Hoke, just that you all got kind of a lucky break with the deterioration of the 49ers.

I think we are 100% agreed here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well, given reports like this from last March:

quote:

“One source with inside knowledge of the team says that Harbaugh’s act has worn thin in the locker room,” Killion writes, “particularly among some key ‘face of the 49ers’ type players. While the team is winning, that’s not a problem. But a few losses could expose a widening rift.”

it was pretty obvious that his relationship with the 49ers was not going to last long. There were also reports here and there of Jim making somewhat wistful comments to friends about wanting to coach Michigan if the opportunity arose. Hoke being a long-time friend made him unwilling to say much about it, though.

Then with Hoke already in the hot seat and the team imploding in the first weeks of the season, contacting Jim to see if he was serious about coming to Ann Arbor was not all that odd.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

it was pretty obvious that his relationship with the 49ers was not going to last long. There were also reports here and there of Jim making somewhat wistful comments to friends about wanting to coach Michigan if the opportunity arose. Hoke being a long-time friend made him unwilling to say much about it, though.

Then with Hoke already in the hot seat and the team imploding in the first weeks of the season, contacting Jim to see if he was serious about coming to Ann Arbor was not all that odd.

Him not lasting long and the team completely collapsing are two separate things, albeit likely related to each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deteriorata posted:

The 49ers didn't look great but they didn't really start collapsing until the last month or so.

So nothing in that report conflicts with what I said.

Neodoomium posted:

I think we are 100% agreed here.

I mean in the end it doesn't matter, it looks like you are getting the coach you wanted, but internet so gotta fight the fight.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

Reports like that are a dime a dozen for all coaches. There was no reason to see anything in them until the 49ers started losing this season.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

We have always led recruiting in Eastasia

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Declan MacManus posted:

We have always led recruiting in Eastasia

Good linemen out of Eastasia.

Eurasia's where you get your skill guys.

Oceania is a dump.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Brady Hoke could recruit Eastasia as much he wanted, but he could never develop any of those guys

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wish Brady Hoke would recruit Euthanasia

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
This has been "in the works" since Rich Rod got fired. The seeds were planted way back then. Harbaugh to Michigan was a topic of discussion five years ago.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

God willing, talks will disintegrate and Oakland will offer him $8m/yr and we can not listen to this anymore.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

God willing, talks will disintegrate and Oakland will offer him $8m/yr and we can not listen to this anymore.

Mullen and Miles would be so pissed when Michigan offers them $4mil a year

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

Mullen and Miles would be so pissed when Michigan offers them $4mil a year

I'm convinced that every Michigan poster on this forum would let Harbaugh piss in their mouths.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigBoss posted:

This has been "in the works" since Rich Rod got fired. The seeds were planted way back then. Harbaugh to Michigan was a topic of discussion five years ago.

Yeah, I haven't really figured out what happened back in 2010 yet. Brandon definitely contacted Harbaugh and Harbaugh definitely showed positive interest, but then it blew up and I've seen multiple conflicting stories as to why.

The Harbaugh side says he gave a tentative yes and was awaiting further details which never came. Then the 9ers came knocking and he bugged out.

Brandon's side says they thought they had Harbaugh locked down and were making plans for his introduction when he "flaked out" and changed his mind at the last minute, jumping to Hoke as a last-minute save.

Others say Hoke was his target all along and he merely made a token run at Harbaugh to please the boosters. I don't have any idea which, if any, of those stories are true.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I haven't really figured out what happened back in 2010 yet. Brandon definitely contacted Harbaugh and Harbaugh definitely showed positive interest, but then it blew up and I've seen multiple conflicting stories as to why.

The Harbaugh side says he gave a tentative yes and was awaiting further details which never came. Then the 9ers came knocking and he bugged out.

Brandon's side says they thought they had Harbaugh locked down and were making plans for his introduction when he "flaked out" and changed his mind at the last minute, jumping to Hoke as a last-minute save.

Others say Hoke was his target all along and he merely made a token run at Harbaugh to please the boosters. I don't have any idea which, if any, of those stories are true.

It is the last one. Brandon was telling people in the spring of 2010 that Brady Hoke will be the next coach.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

It is the last one. Brandon was telling people in the spring of 2010 that Brady Hoke will be the next coach.

Perhaps, but the Brandon people insist it isn't so. The former players pushed Hoke hard, anyway. I'm not taking anybody's side at this point.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The 49ers have given the Raiders permission to interview Harbaugh. :laffo: The season isn't even over yet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Volkerball posted:

The 49ers have given the Raiders permission to interview Harbaugh. :laffo: The season isn't even over yet.

But, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Harbaugh splitting a sundae with Hackett at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
But the official packaging slip!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm invested in Oakland hiring Harbaugh only because that would make this the funniest thread in TFF.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm invested in Oakland hiring Harbaugh only because that would make this the funniest thread in TFF.

Same. Being a Raiders fan would just make it all the more :circlefap:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Volkerball posted:

According to this, that can't be true because they aren't allowed to do it.

quote:

The league’s policy states that no employer club may grant another club permission to discuss employment with its head coach for the current or a future season until the end of the season. The coach is prohibited from discussing employment with another team, and no club may request permission to discuss employment with a coach from another team.

The 49ers finish the season Dec. 28 at home against the Arizona Cardinals. Then, the 49ers can field requests from teams interested in Harbaugh’s services.

The Rooney Rule still applies for any team looking to fill a head-coaching vacancy, according to the NFL. So a team must interview at least one minority coaching candidate before they are allowed to finalize a “trade” for a head coach.

There is no NFL policy in place that sets a protocol for discussions with colleges.

So somebody is lying.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

49ers breaking rules just to get rid of the guy that's made them relevant for the last 3 years

I love sports

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

So somebody is lying.

No. The report doesn't stay when he's talking to the raiders. They're just giving him permission after the season is over because he's still under contract.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deteriorata posted:

So somebody is lying.

Rapaport said that Oakland officials are meeting with the 49ers this weekend, and somebody on Sirius Radio said the 49ers had given them permission. A Raiders beat writer said the talks were being done with i's dotted and the t's crossed to avoid tampering issues.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So the Raiders will get in trouble for tampering, and Harbaugh will go to Miami.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Neodoomium posted:

For the record, my own personal amusement will not be at the people who have been making fun of D and Howe, but at the people who couldn't wait to tell us that Michigan was not a destination anyone would want to come to, and that they were out of their minds to think they had a shot at Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Graduate.

I will also be amused as people pile in to attempt to claim this is a failure of a hire and Michigan botched it in some way. They got the best guy they could possibly get.

We used to have a macro about free agency that I've recalled recently.

This exactly.

If it happens as it appears it will, this is the best hire in college football since Urban Meyer to OSU. And just as then, the only people who are criticizing it are the people who wish to see that team or that coach fail. And that's fine - go for it, MSU fans, you deserve the schadenfreude - but that's all it is: unabashed hope for failure.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah this would be pretty great.

Quick someone mail something addressed to Ed Orgeron at Shembechler Hall.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Jim Harbaugh is the most Raiders coach around. I really hope it goes through

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Feces Starship posted:

this is the best hire in college football since Urban Meyer to OSU. And just as then, the only people who are criticizing it are the people who wish to see that team or that coach fail.

For what it's worth, I think there was a far greater contingent who were saying the hire wouldn't happen (myself included), not that it was a bad hiring decision. If Harbaugh could do at Michigan what he did at Stanford then we'd have an improved B1G and a very fun program to watch. I'd love for there to be a school that could pose an actual threat to Ohio State.

Also, Harbaugh hasn't been hired by Michigan yet. It's still a bit early to be uncorking the champagne.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

LLCoolJD posted:

Also, Harbaugh hasn't been hired by Michigan yet. It's still a bit early to be uncorking the champagne.

This a billion times.

He's probably one of the 20 or 25 best football coaches in the world. I guarantee he'll have suitors to the final bell. It's not over til it's over.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adun posted:

Jim Harbaugh is the most Raiders coach around. I really hope it goes through

welp. it's not happening.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Feces Starship posted:

This a billion times.

He's probably one of the 20 or 25 best football coaches in the world. I guarantee he'll have suitors to the final bell. It's not over til it's over.

Quick someone photoshop Mark Davis's face onto Lloyd Dobler

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

I'm convinced that every Michigan poster on this forum would let Harbaugh piss in their mouths.

To be fair, some of us are really into that

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Volkerball posted:

The zip code is a v.nice touch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Volkerball posted:

will u be my insider source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

will u be my insider source?

i would love to. follow me at @raiderblation and my blog at raiderblation.wordpress.com

• Locked thread